Metal Storm logo
To-Mera

Original post

Posted by Jason W., 05.05.2008 - 08:15
To-Mera's latest CD, "Delusions," was released in early 2008, and I am wondering what people think of this band, about their development since their debut, and of course, what parts you love the most (or dislike) from their CDs?

If you are unfamiliar with the band, they are progressive first, but like any interesting band, they add elements from other genres and original ideas as well to create a sound all their own. First off, they are fronted by a skilled female vocalist, Julie Kiss, whose style is much removed from a standard vocal style - male or female. And where many progressive bands use guitarwork that is not heavy or dark enough for my ears, Tom MacLean's guitar is as heavy as anything out there. And when you mix that together with intricate synth and percussion with lots of jazz interludes and solos, To-Mera is not a band for everyone, but I feel is a great band for someone who enjoys a little mental work while listening to music.

A great review for their latest CD, "Delusions," is HERE

"Delusions" most certainly will be in my top picks for 2008, so, what do you all think of it?
31.10.2009 - 10:04
Fhuesc
The new EP is really good, i found the first a little boring, but the other 3 are great, thou the 2nd song has a sax part that reminds me of 80's new age.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
13.11.2009 - 08:37
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Another success for the band with the new EP It's got a slightly different feel at times, perhaps less aggressive and more airy. But of course, with To-Mera, just when you think it's lighter for a passage, it turns aggressive again and Tom's guitar just takes over. Yet again it's four songs of lots of changes, some abrupt, some fluid.

And yes, they were excellent live
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
06.03.2010 - 17:15
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
I am really into this band right now. I just love their song structures; complex songs I.E. Rush, Opeth that take a few more listens to get "into". Don't know about their popularity over in Europe but here in the US they are unknown. Too bad.
----
rekt
07.03.2010 - 20:00
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 06.03.2010 at 17:15

I am really into this band right now. I just love their song structures; complex songs I.E. Rush, Opeth that take a few more listens to get "into". Don't know about their popularity over in Europe but here in the US they are unknown. Too bad.

Yes! I've managed to get you into them XD
----
loves 小巫
12.03.2010 - 04:19
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Great to see some more To-Mera fans And yes, I'd agree they are unknown in the U.S. I've had numerous conversations at local gigs or with a few local metal musicians, and very few were familiar with them, let alone knew what type of music it was. I'd say when I saw them this past October at Metal Female Voices they had a small but very dedicated following (in comparison with other bands like Delain or Epica). The people who were near the front of the stage were quite familiar with the band's music, but the band also has none of the "fanboy/girl" mystique that other bands have.

While most people I've played their music for (nonmetal and metal fans) had a hard time digesting them, they could benefit from some more word of mouth, and so I bring them up to anyone wondering about more difficult to get into metal that is curious what I like Speaking of curiousity, I'm wondering how you two like the new EP in comparison with the older albums?
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
12.03.2010 - 14:41
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
I like it, as it seems to make their music sound less choppy and there's more flow, but at the same time the layers seem richer. So good for the new keyboardist and the band
----
loves 小巫
20.03.2010 - 21:36
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by Jason W. on 12.03.2010 at 04:19

Great to see some more To-Mera fans And yes, I'd agree they are unknown in the U.S. I've had numerous conversations at local gigs or with a few local metal musicians, and very few were familiar with them, let alone knew what type of music it was. I'd say when I saw them this past October at Metal Female Voices they had a small but very dedicated following (in comparison with other bands like Delain or Epica). The people who were near the front of the stage were quite familiar with the band's music, but the band also has none of the "fanboy/girl" mystique that other bands have.

While most people I've played their music for (nonmetal and metal fans) had a hard time digesting them, they could benefit from some more word of mouth, and so I bring them up to anyone wondering about more difficult to get into metal that is curious what I like Speaking of curiousity, I'm wondering how you two like the new EP in comparison with the older albums?

Ha! I was just going to bring up their latest release! I read a few online reviews on some other sites and they weren't very encouraging
I like all four songs. For me, it's text book To-Mera : deep guitars, heavy bass, eloquent keyboards and synths, and of course many delicate time changes during all 4 songs.

The EP is just enough of an appetizer until the next LP (HOPING!)
----
rekt
18.08.2010 - 16:45
Wishmaster
Account deleted
I like, scratch that, love To-Mera, but their oldest stuff were the best. I love the newest EP though. Looking forward to newer stuff.