Metal Storm logo
To-Mera

05.05.2008 - 08:15
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
To-Mera's latest CD, "Delusions," was released in early 2008, and I am wondering what people think of this band, about their development since their debut, and of course, what parts you love the most (or dislike) from their CDs?

If you are unfamiliar with the band, they are progressive first, but like any interesting band, they add elements from other genres and original ideas as well to create a sound all their own. First off, they are fronted by a skilled female vocalist, Julie Kiss, whose style is much removed from a standard vocal style - male or female. And where many progressive bands use guitarwork that is not heavy or dark enough for my ears, Tom MacLean's guitar is as heavy as anything out there. And when you mix that together with intricate synth and percussion with lots of jazz interludes and solos, To-Mera is not a band for everyone, but I feel is a great band for someone who enjoys a little mental work while listening to music.

A great review for their latest CD, "Delusions," is HERE

"Delusions" most certainly will be in my top picks for 2008, so, what do you all think of it?
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
05.05.2008 - 09:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Damn I know band from myspace and it enver be my cup of team, I dont see what people find into this band?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.05.2008 - 21:32
Fhuesc
It's one of the very few progressive bands that i like, partialy cuz the jazz elements. I liked more their new album, the songs are more enjoyables and the production it's better. I think that if they keep the way they are taking, in a few releases they can become something huge.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
05.05.2008 - 23:53
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I bought the new album because people were talking about it, and I saw the adds for it on Metal Storm. I am so disappointed in it. I had never heard the band before and was expecting something amazing, and in all honesty, I thought it was crappy.

Maybe I am not in the right mood. Maybe I just don't get it. Could someone explain what is so great about them?
----
(space for rent)
05.05.2008 - 23:58
Fhuesc
Written by Dane Train on 05.05.2008 at 23:53

I bought the new album because people were talking about it, and I saw the adds for it on Metal Storm. I am so disappointed in it. I had never heard the band before and was expecting something amazing, and in all honesty, I thought it was crappy.

Maybe I am not in the right mood. Maybe I just don't get it. Could someone explain what is so great about them?

Maybe is that you don't like this style and that's all.
----
Until victory, always!
06.05.2008 - 00:11
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Fhuesc on 05.05.2008 at 23:58

Written by Dane Train on 05.05.2008 at 23:53

Maybe is that you don't like this style and that's all.

I think what's interesting about them is that they don't sound like other progressive bands. They also stay away from all of what I feel are "lighter" elements that progressive bands have in it, which is one of reasons I usually am turned off by prog metal The guitarwork and mood are heavy, nothing else. And, being someone who has a strong interest in female fronted bands - the vocals here are some of the most original ones in metal, as she really experiments with vocal tones and rarely is predictable in her style - something few progressive singers or even metal singers can say I think.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
06.05.2008 - 01:11
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I bought their first album after the big hype, was strongly dissapointed though. Its just bland music in general for me, it feels like ive heard it all before. The girl is one of the worst female vocalists ive heard, she doesnt have enough variation and makes the music feel 'dead'. I had the same reaction with Stream Of Passion too, funny that. Id much prefer something like Chalice.
06.05.2008 - 14:44
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Jason W. on 06.05.2008 at 00:11

I think what's interesting about them is that they don't sound like other progressive bands.

But isn't that the whole idea behind Progressive Rock and Metal?; You don't sound like anyone else. Dream Theater, Opeth, King's X, Green Carnation, Three, Pain of Salvation, Between The Buried and Me, Kekal, and OSI all sound so different from each other, right?
----
(space for rent)
06.05.2008 - 21:20
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 06.05.2008 at 14:44

Written by Jason W. on 06.05.2008 at 00:11

I think what's interesting about them is that they don't sound like other progressive bands.

But isn't that the whole idea behind Progressive Rock and Metal?; You don't sound like anyone else. Dream Theater, Opeth, King's X, Green Carnation, Three, Pain of Salvation, Between The Buried and Me, Kekal, and OSI all sound so different from each other, right?

Hmm well I don't think sounding different is necessarily something exclusive to progressive metal/rock I think that any band that is doing something original can sound different.
----
07.05.2008 - 04:08
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Jason W. on 06.05.2008 at 21:20

Hmm well I don't think sounding different is necessarily something exclusive to progressive metal/rock I think that any band that is doing something original can sound different.

If I were to ask you what Thrash Metal sounded like, you could tell me. Thrash has that Thrash Metal sound, Death sounds like Death, Power sounds like Power. But Prog, can you describe what Prog sounds like? Not really, because unlike other genres of Metal, Prog is not defined by sound, but by a playing and composition style.
----
(space for rent)
07.05.2008 - 07:47
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 07.05.2008 at 04:08

If I were to ask you what Thrash Metal sounded like, you could tell me. Thrash has that Thrash Metal sound, Death sounds like Death, Power sounds like Power. But Prog, can you describe what Prog sounds like? Not really, because unlike other genres of Metal, Prog is not defined by sound, but by a playing and composition style.

Hmm okay, I am fully not one to partake in genre discussions, but, I'll give my basic opinion on what I am trying to say. Yes, I do feel there is sound that defines "prog" in numerous bands. I'm not saying that it's always in the best bands or whatnot, but yes, there is a sound that I hear that I personally identify as being "progressive," though I'd say there are a few of these sounds that different bands use. Also, in terms of other genres, there are quite a few different sounds that come about in them. MS defines both Moonspell and Tristania as "gothic." Honestly, there is a big difference in the sounds of these bands, and in their compositions. But of course there is a "gothic" sound that most experienced metalheads could pick out.

Honestly, I'd prefer to discuss To-Mera in this thread, as that's what I opened it for. If you want to have a discussion about why progressive metal so different than other metal genres, I'll be more than happy to discuss that in a different discussion thread

Written by Dark Cornatus on 06.05.2008 at 01:11

I bought their first album after the big hype, was strongly dissapointed though. Its just bland music in general for me, it feels like ive heard it all before. The girl is one of the worst female vocalists ive heard, she doesnt have enough variation and makes the music feel 'dead'. I had the same reaction with Stream Of Passion too, funny that. Id much prefer something like Chalice.

Yes, Julie's vocals are probably a style that is love it or hate it - but I know that I'm someone who really loves a female vocal style with what some might call a monotone style. But I have found that reading the lyrics along with Julie's vocals brings the nuances to her singing to life; the lyrics are introspective in a way that is very parallel to my way of thinking at this point in life - but hey if you don't like her sound, there is only so much you can try lol
----
16.12.2008 - 01:15
I picked up Transcendental not long ago and found it to be amazing. Julie's voice over such amazingly written music always puts a smile on my face.

For those who didn't like, then it must not be what you are interested in. As for me, I tend to love Prog Metal.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
18.12.2008 - 10:27
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by I, The Quatropus on 16.12.2008 at 01:15

I picked up Transcendental not long ago and found it to be amazing. Julie's voice over such amazingly written music always puts a smile on my face.

For those who didn't like, then it must not be what you are interested in. As for me, I tend to love Prog Metal.

Yes the thing I really like is how Julie's voice at first contradicts parts of the music, then after a few listens I can't imagine the music without it. I think the first CD is more accessible in a way than the "Delusions" CD. "Transcendental" I found I could listen to the whole album and it kept me in the same mood throughout, whereas this year's release I find myself being able to listen to certain songs independently, as if they can carry themselves on their own.

And now that I think of it, the first CD is a bit more relaxing - or at least has more parts that allow me to catch my breath between the complex parts. I really love in the song "Obscure Oblivion" the very pensive beginning that does a quick turn about a minute and half into it, and you hear Julie telling us to "run away run away run away / from the pain inside and scream!"

The lyrics of To-Mera on both CDs are what have made them a favorite of mine - genuinely intellectual and challenging, and interactive with the listener. They're something I can think about without the need of a lengthy interview with the band to have a clue, and then realizing that the entire song was written about something mundane. There's something going on all the time here
----
18.12.2008 - 16:41
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I'm so proud of this band for achieving Delusions. The potential was obvious in Transcendental but so many bands can have a great debut and then.. that's it! Transcendental also failed to capture me in the long term. It was beautiful album, yes, but after all the times I listened I can't actually remember any of the tunes.

Delusions is different. Even though there are no "cathcy hooks" or cheap shots, it's still very memorable for me. The way the band utilizes different styles (not just the jazz but all different metal elements, too) really keeps the listener on their toes. Yeah, and the jazz creeping in here and there is awesome. Everything is so well connected, never random.

I can see how people would be turned off by this band, especially if you're into more traditional "female fronted metal" bands that use light soprano vocals and sweeping keyboards, etc. If you're expecting that genre then you'll be very disappointed. Julie sings clean and "legit" and the music is melodic but the comparisons stop there. This is a funky, crunch, progressive metal band tha just happens to employ a singer with boobs instead of a penis.

Not everyone's cup of tea.. but damn it's sure mine!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
18.12.2008 - 21:35
Fhuesc
I also think that Delusions is more memorable than Transcendental. The songs are more powerful but at the same time are more relaxed, i know it sounds contradictory but that's how i feel when i'm listening Delusions.
----
Until victory, always!
27.04.2009 - 05:26
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Didn't realise they're gonna release a new one this year until just now.
I like both, but found Delusions harder to digest than Trancedental. I'd say the hard digestion was worth it though XD
Do any agree with me they are kinda elitist?
------------------------------------------------- I am an off-topic line------------------------------------
tracing back the convo up there, what's a typical prog metal band?
tbh, To-Mera is the first prog metal act I've listened to. Won't say I'm totally into Prog as I never managed to get into Dream Theatre, but I love Shadow Gallery and some of the power metal bands with prog influences like Lanfear, Shadowkeep and Symphony X
----
loves 小巫
27.04.2009 - 05:46
Lord_Regnier
I listened to this band at the music store a while ago, not knowing what to expect, and I didn't like it at all. If I would have known in advance it was a female-fronted band, I would have not bothered to check it, as I never like female vocalists in metal.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.04.2009 - 07:59
Fhuesc
Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.04.2009 at 05:46

I listened to this band at the music store a while ago, not knowing what to expect, and I didn't like it at all. If I would have known in advance it was a female-fronted band, I would have not bothered to check it, as I never like female vocalists in metal.

Why?
----
Until victory, always!
27.04.2009 - 09:27
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Fhuesc on 27.04.2009 at 07:59

Why?

Ugh... not more of these type of comments and posts about female vocalists and blanket disliking of them... :
----
27.04.2009 - 13:57
Lord_Regnier
Written by Fhuesc on 27.04.2009 at 07:59

Why?

Why? Mostly because it usually means you can't expect roughness or aggressivity from vocals and because bands with female vocalists are usually on the soft side.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.04.2009 - 14:19
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Sorry to be offtopic, but I think Veronica Freeman of Benedictum is rough and aggressive (on her vocals of course )
Magali Luyten of beautiful sin and Virus IV sounds very good to. Not mellow, soft or operatic, but full of dynamic energy
Julie on the other hand... I think she has the ability, but it won't really fit with To-Mera's music... Her floatiness simply adds another dimension to To-Mera's music imo
----
loves 小巫
27.04.2009 - 18:37
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I have listened only to the second album (Delusions) which i thought it was great, it went beyond my expectations. The jazz and fusion elements really stand out making the music interesting, even original I'd say.
25.08.2009 - 07:48
Fhuesc
The EP sounds heavier to me, lets see how it sounds at the end.
----
Until victory, always!
25.08.2009 - 15:45
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Fhuesc on 25.08.2009 at 07:48

i don't see it on myspace. or a leak anywhere *confused*
----
loves 小巫
25.08.2009 - 23:59
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Ag Fox on 25.08.2009 at 15:45

Written by Fhuesc on 25.08.2009 at 07:48

i don't see it on myspace. or a leak anywhere *confused*

Yes, I was a bit confused at first too, but you must be talking about the studio reports To-Mera has been offering on their myspace? Heaviness is a bit subjective I think, but I think of what I've heard it sounds compelling. It always takes me a few listens to totally immerse myself in To-Mera's music, but I don't see any reason to doubt the new lineup's abilities! I'm really curious about the synths too
----
26.08.2009 - 01:00
Fhuesc
Yes i was talking about the studio reports on their my space.
----
Until victory, always!
26.08.2009 - 01:36
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Ah thanks
As I said earlier, To-Mera is the first ever prog band that I listened to (excluding Muse on MTV which is prog rock), but I got into them right away during my first listen.

anyway, who's playing the synths?
----
loves 小巫
26.08.2009 - 04:24
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Ag Fox on 26.08.2009 at 01:36

Ah thanks
As I said earlier, To-Mera is the first ever prog band that I listened to (excluding Muse on MTV which is prog rock), but I got into them right away during my first listen.

anyway, who's playing the synths?

Just updated the lineup to the current one, seems Richard Henshall (Hen) had not been added yet The synths were so important to the dynamics of the band's sound on the first two albums, and for my own enjoyment, so that's why I'm so interested! Hen also plays in Tom's other band, Haken.
----
26.08.2009 - 04:44
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Did not know Tom had another band. gotta watch out for it (=
----
loves 小巫
26.08.2009 - 05:07
Fhuesc
Yeah, when i find out about Haken, i was really excited, but after listening i must say thou i wasn't disappointed, it was not my style.
----
Until victory, always!