01. Limbs
02. Falling Snow
03. This White Mountain On Which You Will Die
04. Fire Above, Ice Below
05. Not Unlike The Waves
06. Our Fortress Is Burning... I
07. Our Fortress Is Burning... II - Bloodbirds
08. Our Fortress Is Burning... III - The Grain
09. Scars Of The Shattered Sky (Our Fortress Has Burned To The Ground) [Double LP Vinyl 1000 Copies Limited Edition bonus]

In today's world of overplayed musical styles and boring sameness, a few bands stand out as innovators. Agalloch from Portland, Oregon is one of those bands. With their unique blend of Doom, Gothic and elements of Death metal, those musicians managed to break through the US scene with the highly-acclaimed album The Mantle back in 2002. The band witnessed the arrival of Chris Greene taking over drumming duties for John Haughm (who remains very busy with guitars and vocals) while the rest of the lineup is still rounded up by Jason William Walton (bass) and Don Anderson (guitars).
Now, after several EPs and vinyl discs to bridge the gap, a new album has been brought to life, namely Ashes Against The Grain. And boy, you can already bookmark this one as one of 2006's best records.

As they mastered on their previous records, epic compositions carrying loads of longing and exquisiteness are back to the program. The opener 'Limbs' is already a great sign of things to come. Complex, fulfilling and most of all way too catchy to be tagged as Doom metal; but that's the beauty of this band, to be able to transcend the boundaries of music to define something unique.

The surprise of the record is undeniably 'Falling Snow', which features a faster tempo and a recurrent guitar theme that enhances this song tremendously. Some might be reminding of early Paradise Lost tunes, just more creative.

As the album unfolds, Agalloch's talent becomes more and more obvious and finishes taking over your mind. Without giving everything away, let's just say that 'Fire Above, Ice Below' and 'Not Unlike The Waves' are even better than the two previous songs and 'Our Fortress Is Burning' is a great three-part magnum opus that might just be Agalloch's best work up-to-date.

Creating another great album without repeating themselves, Agalloch latest should lift any doubts concerning their talent and please the crowds. Managing to assemble a killer "menu" of great quality songs, of which one cannot really settle on a favorite one for long, the combo from Portland has brought forth another one of those impossible to ignore releases.

If you have never heard of them, you ought to stop whatever you are doing to rush straight to their website to check out the most talented band in the States. You won't regret it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written on 20.06.2006 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Guest review by
strade
Rating:
Agalloch's Ashes Against The Grain. Never have I found another release I love so much yet feel so unsatisfied by. There's so much here, yet it feels as if so much is missing. It's so spot on, but I just don't find it a flawless or even exemplary demonstration of the genre in question. I'd call it the perfect musical embodiment of a love/hate relationship. With that said, however, I must admit that I feel a far greater abundance of the former than the latter.

Read more ››
published 11.03.2012 | Comments (26)

Guest review by
Gothic Metalhead
Rating:
The god of man is a failure indeed.

Read more ››
published 06.07.2021 | Comments (3)

Comments

Comments: 46   Visited by: 546 users
20.06.2006 - 06:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted
didn't you note that this sounds incrediblt Black Metal?
20.06.2006 - 19:54
dancingdecember
great album from one of my fav bands.i just love their creativity and amazing songwriting.and i love it when they use acoustic guitars.i'm sure they will keep up this good work
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
21.06.2006 - 05:28
Rating: 9
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Staff
It does not more Black Metal than their usual standards, I guess that's why I omitted it.
23.06.2006 - 11:10
Shadowthrone
i'll give it a try
17.07.2006 - 07:23
IgarTheTerrible
Account deleted
Great review dream_taster. Great record by agalloch, but the main problem I had with it was that "This White Mountain On Which You Will Die", "Our Fortress Is Burning... I" and bloodbirds feel weak and uninspired compared to the rest of the album. 8.6 is about where Id put this album as well.
22.07.2006 - 09:40
McDoom
Account deleted
Cant wait for the release and up and coming European tour too.
22.07.2006 - 17:07
scskowron
War Paladin
Best album of 2006, I think.
12.08.2006 - 10:29
Fayde
Account deleted
Best album of 2006 is right, this is easily Agalloch's most outstanding album to date, I can't stop listening to it.
13.08.2006 - 22:56
abraxas
Account deleted
absolute masterpiece. i love it.
15.08.2006 - 01:42
Snake-Eye
Account deleted
Wow yes, it competes with Dolorian - Voidwards for the title album of the year!
27.08.2006 - 20:34
Kurzag
Account deleted
Great review dude. Agalloch is truly one of the best bands out there.
29.08.2006 - 20:41
Alabaster
This album is great. Loving it.
30.08.2006 - 06:27
Rating: 10
WarMaster
So far my #1 Album of this year.
13.09.2006 - 17:54
Snake-Eye
Account deleted
Album Of The Year?

It might wéll be!
02.10.2006 - 06:41
demogorgon51
Account deleted
Great album! Great lyrics, as well. A little hard to find, but they're here... http://shadowduet.com/index.php?p=59&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more59
05.10.2006 - 06:02
canmewaterbee
Account deleted
Incredible masterpiece here. Not one single song is out of place or poorly written. 10/10.
05.10.2006 - 07:06
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This is probably the only doom album that I can pay attention to and enjoy. 8/10
06.10.2006 - 00:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 05.10.2006 at 07:06

This is probably the only doom album that I can pay attention to and enjoy. 8/10

Aarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh this is NOT doom, not by a mile.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.10.2006 - 06:01
lazarus
I don't know, but it seems that something was missing in the whole concept of the album, probably the folk touch, I'll have to get use to it!
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
29.10.2006 - 01:01
Grey_Dandelion
its just greaaaaaaaaat-i could hear it foreveeeeeeeer....
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
05.11.2006 - 01:33
DragonSlayer
Account deleted
Album of the year. Fantastic masterpiece from one of the best bands in the world. From the moment the incredible heavy and catchy riff of Limbs starts blasting I knew that this is was going to be one hell of a album. Well done!
06.11.2006 - 12:41
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Guest on 05.11.2006 at 01:33

From the moment the incredible heavy and catchy riff of Limbs starts blasting I knew that this is was going to be one hell of a album.

It really took you that long? :
The very first time I listened to this album, the first thing I heard was this one guitar tune way before the riff enters - from that moment on it was clear that there was no way back, either I'll have to go through the entire album or... well, there wasn't really an alternative. A pity that after several listens the riff seems to kill the hypnotic effect of the very first seconds.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
02.12.2006 - 19:01
Stigmatized
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.10.2006 at 00:50

What genre do you consider it to be?
03.02.2007 - 11:27
Grey_Dandelion
Written by Stigmatized on 02.12.2006 at 19:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.10.2006 at 00:50

What genre do you consider it to be?

its some kind of atmosferic metal- for me agalloch cant be put in any category-its just agalloch
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
04.02.2008 - 08:46
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
weird. even though their from Oregon, i've never heard of them coming to Seattle. the state right to the North.
----
Coldgrits
10.07.2008 - 10:04
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
This is a great album, but The Mantle is much better. I enjoyed the screams of Solstafir on "Not unlike the waves", he rarely does those.
23.07.2008 - 18:30
gerrard888
Account deleted
great album (Fire Above, Ice Below 10/10)
06.09.2008 - 23:03
omjaimes
omjaimes
great equilibrium
27.11.2008 - 14:30
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Agalloch never stop amazing me!
06.02.2009 - 08:44
This album permeates every conscious and unconscious part of your mind. The album is so beautiful it stings your eyes. Listen from start to finish again and again as it bathes you in its radiance fusing fire, water and earth elements. The production is ethereal with a drum sound second to none. Difficult to compare to others but closest to the most precious gems from Opeth and Katatonia.

Hits total: 19044 | This month: 32