Tube vs Solid State

Poll

Which kind of amp has better tone?

Tube
Solid State

Total votes: 2
07.05.2008 - 15:08
Hangar XVIII

I've been looking around at guitar amps, and I can't decide on which type.
Which do you guys like better? Feel free to argue.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
08.05.2008 - 20:42
Lord TJ

Don't worry what type you get man, just as long as you like what you hear from it is all that counts!
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
09.05.2008 - 08:26
Trinstar

I voted Tube, because you said Tone! If you would've asked, "Which amp is better for playing Heavy Metal?" I would surely have voted Solid State, but as far as pure tone goes, tube has the tone. But, like TJ said, each amp is it's own entity, and in the end will make as big a difference (if not a bigger difference) as what type of guitar you use. Some tube amps are built more for playing the heavy stuff, but solid state + overdrive is hard to touch for playing metal. Of course, my experience playing tube amps is reserved to Fender Blues Deluxe and Twin Reverb and whatnot, so the "tone" is definitely there, but when I try to fuzzbust it up it turns into cacophony. I'm sure the Marshall JVM would totally convince me that tube is the way to go, forever. Speaking of Marshall JVM, anyone got $1800 I can have?
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
09.05.2008 - 14:03
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I talked to a guitar/sound tech. when buying my last amp and asked him about tube vs. state and he said that although tube has the best tone it does have some downsides. Allegidly with tube the tone can vary due to the conditions the amp is under, such as temp, if there are other electric devices around that could interfer(sp) with it (such as radio frequencies) and sometimes you need to replace the tubes. Whereas solid state is pretty much always consistant, so I ended up buying a state amp and have been extremely pleased with it.
09.05.2008 - 15:48
Hangar XVIII

I'll probably end up going with a Peavey Classic 50 4/10.
It's a tube, and it's not a metal amp by any means (I have a crate for that), but I really like the tone on it, and it can get very Van-Halenish (The REAL Van Halen).
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
17.05.2008 - 11:40
Sunioj

Hmm... interesting topic, I haven't really grasped the differences between the two until recently when I was doing more research. To be honest, I've always been jealous of those bassist that have massive tube amps on stage with the just sheer amount of power it gives. Then again I can see the downsides, but wouldn't tube amps be more ideal for live performances?