Metal Storm logo
Karl Sanders

20.06.2006 - 07:23
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
We all know the man. I adore his work in Nile, it is truly epic. However, this mere mortal somehow also managed to pull of a full Folk album titled 'Saurian Meditation' in 2004. I made this thread to discuss his work with his solo work. I think the album really shows his songwriting capabilities, and other skills than besides those with a regular guitar. As you know, it was created to put some of the ideas of Nile into full acoustic/ambient works which creates a very realistic atmosphere. I really enjoy Egyptian history and culture as best I can, so naturally Karl's solo work is truly captivating for me. It's quite native for someone from America, yeah?

Well, is anyone a fan?
----
The force will be with you, always.
20.06.2006 - 19:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
oh yeah, I love it as well. I love the dark mood it lays down. The David Vincent guest appearance is so over the top it's hilarious.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.06.2006 - 21:10
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Twice this topic? I don't know them, can you recommend some songs from the album?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.06.2006 - 23:18
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Lucas on 20.06.2006 at 21:10

Twice this topic? I don't know them, can you recommend some songs from the album?

They are all great, but 'Of The Sleep Of Ishtar' and 'The Elder God Shrine' are two highlights to start with. However, I would of course recommend the whole album.
----
20.06.2006 - 23:22
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Well, I think his solo effort is quite outstanding although I haven´t listened to it recently. Heck, mybe I should give it more spins but there´ s so much more music to be explored at the moment. Anyway, I really admire that man.
He also seems to be a really nice person.
21.06.2006 - 05:37
Daru Jericho

This album [Saurian Meditation] is best listened to in it's entirety. I perfer listening to it from start to end than induvidual one off tracks. It achieves the goal of any good ambient release and takes you somewhere; it forces your imagination to leave the room you are currently located in at the time of listening. It's a great album.

For those of you who are interested, Karl is supposed to be working on another solo effort. I certainly look forward to it.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

21.06.2006 - 07:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
That is good news, I will be looking forward to as well... seems like he might have carved out a nice niche to continue his musical career when Nile eventually runs dry.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.06.2006 - 08:42
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Bitter Cold, you are a heretic that will be smited for such blasphemy! By the way, I agree with you Daru Jericho, it is best to listen to all at once. I love the atmosphere.
----
21.06.2006 - 14:32
KryptoN
imperceptible
Yes! Saurian Meditation is amazing. It really lights up your imagination and as said the album has to be listened to as an entity. I'm really looking forward to what the man has in stock for the next masterpiece (I'm certain it will be one).
23.06.2006 - 01:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Heh, C-Dub, no heretic - just acknowledging that DM takes a toll on the body, and at some it's inevitable. Fortunately, based upon "Annihilation of the Wicked", it won't be for a long while.
----

23.06.2006 - 04:46
Stigmatized
I have got to hear this. I've seen the cd in stores, but have never had the money to buy it. Plus, I can't find it for download.
23.06.2006 - 05:27
Nathan Lurker

My twin introduced me to that album because he listens to Nile so he had heard about it. I've never been a Nile fan. But I was really amazed by Saurian Meditation. The moods of the songs are really great, Karl Sanders creates strong atmospheres that makes you wander through old egypt in your mind. It's an album I've listened to when going to sleep. Luring the Doom Serpent is a great song, great mood. The whole album really put pictures in your mind and it's that kind of music you put in you Cd player, you close your eyes, and you just listens to the music... you get sucked in a world of intense atmosphere and great imagery.

The cover art for the album is stunning.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
16.07.2006 - 19:51
Revenant
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 20.06.2006 at 23:18

Written by Lucas on 20.06.2006 at 21:10

They are all great, but 'Of The Sleep Of Ishtar' and 'The Elder God Shrine' are two highlights to start with. However, I would of course recommend the whole album.

Deffinately,t he alst 2 trakcs are a bit.. meh, the narrating and the plagued moanign arent too great. Otherwise it's a wonderfulla lbum and I rpobably prefer it to Nileb ecause I'm mroe into folk than death metal.
17.07.2006 - 12:02
eleftheria
Account deleted
I like this guy... Very good album, amazing atmosphere, it travels you to Nile but to be honest, lately I have better choices when I want to listen to ambient...
19.07.2006 - 09:35
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 17.07.2006 at 12:02

I like this guy... Very good album, amazing atmosphere, it travels you to Nile but to be honest, lately I have better choices when I want to listen to ambient...

Well, it's best listened to for an experience. Not a true "ambient" album, as this is a folk album, but it has an ambience, if that makes sense. Other suggestions?
----
19.07.2006 - 22:56
eleftheria
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 19.07.2006 at 09:35

Written by Guest on 17.07.2006 at 12:02

Well, it's best listened to for a experience. Not a true "ambient" album, as this is a folk album, but it has an ambience, if that makes sense. Other suggestions?

You're right, true ambient music has usually electronic influences, but Saurian Meditation has ambience even it lacks them. Anyway, in ambient I prefer ethnic/folk/world music influences rather trance/pop/techno etc. I like much the work of Ian Naismith. It's ambient/ethnic music from all over the world, especially Indian, Arabic, and African. I've listened to the albums 'Forgotten & Imminent', 'Galaxy Collisions' and several tracks. I want to listen to more albums (he has a quite big discography) but I can't find . I'm also forward to listen more of Steve Roach, Robert Rich and Bill Laswell. I've lately discovered the House Of Low Culture, an ambient solo project of Aaron Turner from Isis. I'm listening his album 'Edward's Lament', and I can say it's very good.

Sorry for being a bit out of topic. :
20.07.2006 - 07:07
Stigmatized
The album is great, I expected nothing less from Karl. I'm not dissapointed in any way. I've listened to it all the way through about 3 times, good stuff.
22.07.2006 - 23:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Dammit, it is good! Just downloaded some tracks, I might get it if I find it.

Thanks, C-Dub!

@Dream, another band we share..
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.07.2006 - 02:07
Stigmatized
Written by Lucas on 22.07.2006 at 23:30

Thanks, C-Dub!

Great minds think alike.
27.07.2006 - 12:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Stigmatized on 27.07.2006 at 02:07

Written by Lucas on 22.07.2006 at 23:30

Thanks, C-Dub!

Great minds think alike.

Haha, you're so right.
----

03.08.2006 - 15:28
Misantrophil
Account deleted
Saurian meditation is amazing album.My favourite song is of the sleep of ishtar.
03.08.2006 - 18:54
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Bought it a few days ago, blow my head off. It is really good stuff.
----

03.04.2007 - 17:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Does anyone have any news? I thought he was going to release a new album. What did you hear?
----

19.12.2007 - 01:03
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
One of the greatest musicians in the metal scene release an album of world music...adn i think is one of those things that you like to listen from beginning to end, the structure of the record is amazing!
06.01.2008 - 08:20
deadset61
Account deleted
I really like this album a lot. I hope he makes more because this album was just to damn brilliant.
09.01.2008 - 01:21
torniojaws

It's an excellent album. I can't wait for the next solo album!
----
Vortech - New album out! VortechMusic.com Industrial Death Metal
05.05.2009 - 18:31
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
So has anyone given the new album a listen? I was just searching around and re-stumbled upon Karl Sander's myspace page and am listening to some of the songs off of his newest album Saurian Exorcisms. I can't really make an honest comment just yet, but from what I have heard, it sounds fantastic. He manages to pull influences from the east and execute them excellently (though perhaps not always traditionally). Anyone who hasn't checked it out I would recommend it.
----
06.06.2009 - 20:23
Nathan Lurker

Loved Saurian exorcisms. Especially track number 3 ''Contemplate this on the tree of woe''. It seems to me a bit less ethereal than before, a bit more like incantations. But it's really similar to earlier work. Good Stuff
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
17.06.2009 - 21:03
Got Mayhem?

I didnt know Karl had his own thread!

Both the Saurian albums are amazing. They both live up to their names too. Meditation is more calming and tranquil while Exorcisms is very dark and brooding. Amazing musician!
----
09.11.2010 - 04:59
MetalSpider

His solo albums are awesome. He knows how to create a dark and somewhat haunting atmosphere in his music.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!