Metal Storm logo
Sigis - Le Grand Retour De Nibiru review

Reviewer:
Band: Sigis
Album: Le Grand Retour De Nibiru
Release date: 2008

01. Le Dernier Des Hommes
02. Annihilé
03. Oublié (Les 33 Etoiles De La Damnation)
04. Pas De Sacrifice
05. Les Corsaires Bleus
06. Vitesse Maîtresse
07. Le Crime Paie (Les Véritables Créateurs De L' Aliénation)
08. Combattre, Vaincre, Régner
09. L'Art Divinatoire Du Heavy Metal
10. Le Grand Retour De Nibiru

"Le Grand Retour De Nibiru" is the first album of a young French combo, Sigis. When I first have read the biography, I thought that this release was some new kind of powerful Heavy Metal a la Nightmare but unfortunately Sigis only plays some old school French Heavy and this kind of music is a bit out of date now to catch a lot of potential listeners. The band is not bad but their music is sadly too "kitsch".

In France we had in the past a big Heavy Metal scene. It was famous, even outside of France but let's be honest too it was also mega cliché and mega kitsch. Nowadays our bands are a lot better and original but some bands even some young ones, still play such kind of music. "Le Grand Retour De Nibiru" is one of these albums which follow this old school trend. Some bands like Killers still do that even after more than 20 years of career and strangely the anger and the energy of the band just produce a really good Speed Metal but Sigis is too shy here to be compared to Killers. I mean that Sigis plays something between Heavy and Thrash and even if we have strong riffs and good guitars soli sometime, in general this is too Heavy Metal (a la old school French sauce) to be attractive. Sigis is a young band but it sounds like a really old one, that's not good especially if the band wants to become famous.

The recording of "Le Grand Retour De Nibiru" is a bit weak. The mixing is not perfect and sometime the sound is a bit messy and some instruments are a bit weak in comparison of some others. Well one more time I just have to say that this album sounds, in all the ways, like an album which have been released during the 80's. The French lyrics are a bit cliché too, it can be good to sing in French in my opinion but it can close doors too and I think that people outside of France will simply never care about this album?

The main problem of Sigis is that the band clearly lacks of maturity in its compositions. The album could be good but it suffers of a really lack of originality and the fact that the songs are too influenced by kitsch 80's French Metal is not a good thing. Sigis will have to add new ingredients in its future releases and of course try to play something a bit more modern. Let's see if the band will be able to resolve this problem in the future, they can do it in my opinion.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 6

Written by Jeff | 07.05.2008

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 16 users
09.05.2008 - 18:49
stratorock666

ive never heard this old school french metal style you speak of lol i certainly want to thoughl any bands you would put forth as a starting point for someone new to the sound?

Hits total: 4092 | This month: 11