06. Sonic Life
07. Freak Machine
08. Human Attack
09. Evil Angel
10. One More Time
11. Never Give Up
12. Revolutionist [bonus track]
13. Religion [bonus track]

Considering the calibre of musicians involved with this album, as well as the tragic story of Paul Raven passing away while recording it, one would really wish for the results to be a magical expression of musical genius that puts everything else in the genre to shame. Unfortunately, Weird Machine doesn't satisfy at all in this regard and although it is far from being a complete disaster, it nevertheless definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

The greatest problem here is a lack of dynamics, which is tiresome for the listener in the long run. Most of the songs chug along at more or less the same tempo and even the various electronic distractions inserted here and there cannot save them from the arising sensation of tedium. Treponem Pal's greatest traits are actually still present here - Marco Neves' misanthropic lyrical musings are as cynically amusing as they ever were and the band is still apt at creating a memorable industrial metal groove, even if their current guitar player Polak is nowhere near as gifted as Michel Bassin. The production is also very appropriate - a deep mix of slow and heavy grinding that seems to suit Ted Parson's drumming perfectly. Nevertheless, besides sparse signs of inspiration in tracks like "Planet Crash", "Hardcore Massive Soldier" and "Evil Angel", the only highlights are the so called 'industrial ballads' that the band decided to compose for Weird Machine: "One More Time" and "Sonic Life" both tone down the guitar crunch and allow for Neves to sing with more finesse, a stark contrast with the bark he adapts on the other songs. It really is a shame that for the remaining duration of the album the band seems content on just chugging away without much inspiration...

Weird Machine is not a complete dud; however, it is definitely a disappointment since we are dealing with a band that is the unsung hero in the whole industrial metal genre. The monotonous songs do not allow Ted Parsons to unleash his trademark nuanced drumming and the bass parts are similarly uninteresting. Clearly, the band wanted to create an oppressive trance inducing monolith of a record but took the monotony level too far and ended up making an album that overstays its welcome. It is still worth listening to, but only for diehard fans and the curious.

Written on 09.05.2008 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 30 users
10.05.2008 - 22:57
Darkside Momo
Retired
I, for one, am certainly not as harsh as you. this album has a few good songs (Hardcore Massive Soldiers, Evil Angel, but also Unclean and Human Attack), and it's also good to hear Marco Neves again.
However, it is true that feels quite uninspired at times. There is definitevely something lacking here...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"

Hits total: 5090 | This month: 10