Style: Funeral doom metal
Release date: October 2005

01. Coalescent Of The Inhumane Awareness
02. Sonorous Howl From Beyond The Stars
03. Upon The War-Torn Shape Of Cold Earth
04. In The Arcane Clasp Of Unwritten Hours
05. Entreaties To The Primaeval Chaos

From hell?

As time passes by I feel more intrigued by this genre called Doom Metal. Melancholic, depressive, gloomy, you can find a million adjectives to describe it, but no word can really express what you feel inside when you hear a good Doom release.
With this release I felt something that almost no record has made me feel: fear.

I recall listening the first Tyranny Ep, to be honest I didn't like it at all, and now I understand, the timing was totally wrong, I was not prepared for the crushing sound of Tyranny.

Tyranny is not your typical Funeral Doom Metal band, these two Finns take the Funeral a step further and create dismal atmospheres and soul-crushing themes.
This is ultra-slow, crushing, depressive Funeral Doom Metal, riffs that repeat a thousand times before moving to the next one, deep undecipherable growls and an eerie ambient. Really scary, and I'm not lying, this record is really scary, I can't imagine listening this alone in the woods at night, it just won't happen.

What else could you feel with this album? The music is so dense and dismal, and I begin to wonder where did this music came, because I really see this as the soundtrack of the depths of hell.

Songs are quite lengthy, clocking around 10 -15 minutes each, if you're a casual Doom lover you might be overwhelmed by this album, if you know your Doom, you probably have this already, but if not, this is a must try for all real Doom fans out there.

Written by Undercraft | 14.10.2005

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 90 users
14.05.2008 - 20:03
deathovertime
Account deleted
I agree completely with this review, personally I think it's one of, if not the best funeral doom release to date. I wouldn't really call it scary, I think that's the wrong word, but it is very dark and eerie. This album alone tops those of other funeral doom bands.
27.03.2009 - 04:27
tuerda
Dark you say? Dark? This is pitch black! This is truly excellent, but even fans of other funeral doom acts might find this a bit too much.
27.03.2009 - 14:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by tuerda on 27.03.2009 at 04:27

... but even fans of other funeral doom acts might find this a bit too much.

I agree with you. One has to be an immense fan of pitch black funeral doom to be able to get into this.

Btw I find it a brilliant album
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.04.2009 - 18:20
Kurimus
Account deleted
Oh my oh my... This is just great. Pitch black you say? Then gimme more oh yes!

Have to get more into the songs and structures to say objectively, but it shure as hell sounds great!
03.05.2009 - 14:33
Kurimus
Account deleted
Does anyone know if there's anything going on with them nowadays?

I mean this was released in 2005 and there's no news no nothing about them in their Myspace or the official website and it's 2009.... And firebox's website tells that their not even on the label anymore...
03.05.2009 - 17:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 03.05.2009 at 14:33

I mean this was released in 2005 and there's no news no nothing about them in their Myspace or the official website and it's 2009.... And firebox's website tells that their not even on the label anymore...

They are still active. They performed live in Helsinki about a month ago, I think. And I know that Profetus will be doing some shows supporting Tyranny later on in the year.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.05.2009 - 17:45
Kurimus
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.05.2009 at 17:13

Written by Guest on 03.05.2009 at 14:33

They are still active. They performed live in Helsinki about a month ago, I think. And I know that Profetus will be doing some shows supporting Tyranny later on in the year.

Ok. that's at least good news I hope they are planning to release new materia in the future... (Materia intended. )
09.01.2019 - 16:43
Rating: 7
Starvynth
i c deaf people
staff
I am a sucker for doom/death. Not just because I occasionally love it slow, deep and hard (Type O Negative reference not intended), but since I really think that good doom/death delivers a very uplifting effect.
It's not a very long journey from doom/death to funeral doom, so quite logically, I soon discovered the wellknown Thergothon, Esoteric, Skepticism, Evoken and the like, but also underground stuff à la early Вой, Mordor and Unburied.
But to be honest, I had very hard times getting into funeral doom. I know doomsters do not like to hear this, but most of the early funeral doom recordings just bored the pants off me. Until the end of the 90's, I had lost any interest for funeral doom and had given up searching for something that would meet my taste.

Well, and then there was that appealing, lovecraftian booklet of Tides Of Awakening in my favorite record store, a couple of years later. I didn't know what it was and I had never heard the name Tyranny before.
All I knew was: I had to own this CD and hurry home.
Reaching the train station, I remembered I had my discman with me in the backsack. I just had to instantly satisfy my curiosity.

It was a cold and rainy december evening. The train was crowded with remote-controlled, zombiesque, liefeless shells getting home from work - and so was I. Just blurred and empty faces. Reached my destination station after 20 minutes but didn't dare to get out - because Sonorous Howl from Beyond the Stars was still running. Finally, ended up in the middle of nowhere.
Didn't know where I was.
Didn't care, where I was.
Everything felt futile and empty.
I was empty.
And alone.

7/10 because I love this pitch black masterpiece.
And I fucken hate it because it shows your deepest innerself.

10/10 to Undercraft for the splendid review, thanks!
----
signatures = SPAM

Hits total: 4860 | This month: 8