Metal Storm logo
Favorite 'Second Tier' 80s Thrash Band

Original post

Posted by Hangar XVIII, 15.05.2008 - 16:20
We all have seen countless topics about the 'Big Four' of 80s thrash, but these were three bands that never quite made it to the top. In fact, some say that if Testament had released a few more good albums, they would have made the big four a 'big five'. Which is your favorite?

Poll

Which is your favorite?

Testament
Exodus
Overkill

Total votes: 63
26.10.2008 - 23:53
Kovatch
Account deleted
Testament And Exodus Are good, But They're from the bay area.
Not saying that bay thrash is bad, in fact, I love it.
but We tend to overlook the East coast.
Overkill From New Jersey, and yes, even NUCLEAR ASSAULT!!!!! from New York.
I'm sad that Nuclear Assault barely get any recognition:noidea::noidea:
Kovatch out:devil:
27.10.2008 - 20:42
Guib
Thrash Talker
Yeah true you should have included Nuclear Assault in this Second tier.. but yeah whatever.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
27.10.2008 - 22:36
Hellish Star

Heathen
Agent Steel
Forbidden
Vio-lence
Flotsam & Jetsam
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
28.10.2008 - 01:08
Guib
Thrash Talker
Ok ok.. theres alot of them.. but i wouldn't count those in the second 'tier... Just cos they weren't as good as the others. (IMO)

But yeah whatever... Testament and Exodus (IMO again) are still better than Nuclear Assault
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
28.10.2008 - 01:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guib on 28.10.2008 at 01:08

Ok ok.. theres alot of them.. but i wouldn't count those in the second 'tier... Just cos they weren't as good as the others. (IMO)

Then look up what second-tier actually means
It does mean bands that aren't as good as the first division bands.

Oh and IMO all those that Hellish Star named are superior to Testament and a lesser extent Exodus.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.10.2008 - 01:27
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.10.2008 at 01:23

Oh and IMO all those that Hellish Star named are superior to Testament and a lesser extent Exodus.

Yeah but i meant... they're not as good as ''Exodus'' ''Testament'' ''Overkill'' and ''Nuclear Assault'' I wasn't talking bout the first division bands like Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica and Megadeth at all

But yeah ...
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
28.10.2008 - 01:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guib on 28.10.2008 at 01:27

Yeah but i meant... they're not as good as ''Exodus'' ''Testament'' ''Overkill'' and ''Nuclear Assault'' I wasn't talking bout the first division bands like Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica and Megadeth at all

But yeah ...

My God they are infintely better than Overkill, Nuclear Assault (who had brilliant songs but loads of filler as well) and especially Testament (who only had a great debut and then half of New Order) and a lot of Exodus too (first three are great, Tempo is great but the rest is just mediocre to dire)
And why the flying duck has no-one mentioned Holy Terror? The released two brilliant cult classics.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.10.2008 - 01:34
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.10.2008 at 01:32

Written by Guib on 28.10.2008 at 01:27

But yeah ...

My God they are infintely better than Overkill, Nuclear Assault (who had brilliant songs but loads of filler as well) and especially Testament (who only had a great debut and then half of New Order) and a lot of Exodus too (first three are great, Tempo is great but the rest is just mediocre to dire)
And why the flying duck has no-one mentioned Holy Terror? The released two brilliant cult classics.

Well you might prefer them its your opinion lol.. i still prefer Exodus, Testament, Overkill and Nuclear Assault
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
28.10.2008 - 10:30
Hellish Star

But yeah whatever... Testament and Exodus (IMO again) are still better than Nuclear Assault

Maybe they were not as popular as the big four or your "second tier" but musical wise they were often (to me always) better... Saying that they weren't "as good as the others" is a disgrace... Agent Steel's first two albums, Heathen's "Victim of deception", Flotsam & Jetsam's first releases, the first albums of Forbidden and Vio-lence are/were top-albums of that particular period and are at least as good as Testament's or Overkill's first albums and for sure better than Nuclear Assault. All albums had first class riffs, awesome songs, superb vocals, overwhelming power, technical and intelligent arrangements,....

About Holy Terror; I agree. How about Dark Angel, Tyrant's Reign and Death Angel?

Popularity is not the same as quality....

My top ten of eighties thrash (although it is difficult to name only ten):
1. AGENT STEEL - Unstoppable Force
2. HEATHEN - Victims of deception$
3. VIO-LENCE - Eternal nightmare
4. SLAYER - Reign in blood
5. METALLICA - Ride the lightning
6. TESTAMENT - The legacy
7. FORBIDDEN - Forbidden evil
8. NASTY SAVAGE - Nasty Savage
9. FLOTSAM & JETSAM - No place for disgrace
10.EXODUS - Bonded by blood

In this case we didn't even mention non-US Thrash bands like Sepultura, Kreator, Cyclone, Target, Destruction, ...
----

29.10.2008 - 00:54
Kovatch
Account deleted
Hahah oh man I've created a monster.

Well, Thanks For Everyones Input Hahah!
30.10.2008 - 02:20
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Hellish Star on 28.10.2008 at 10:30

Maybe they were not as popular as the big four or your "second tier" but musical wise they were often (to me always) better... Saying that they weren't "as good as the others" is a disgrace... Agent Steel's first two albums, Heathen's "Victim of deception", Flotsam & Jetsam's first releases, the first albums of Forbidden and Vio-lence are/were top-albums of that particular period and are at least as good as Testament's or Overkill's first albums and for sure better than Nuclear Assault. All albums had first class riffs, awesome songs, superb vocals, overwhelming power, technical and intelligent arrangements,....

About Holy Terror; I agree. How about Dark Angel, Tyrant's Reign and Death Angel?

Popularity is not the same as quality....

My top ten of eighties thrash (although it is difficult to name only ten):
1. AGENT STEEL - Unstoppable Force
2. HEATHEN - Victims of deception$
3. VIO-LENCE - Eternal nightmare
4. SLAYER - Reign in blood
5. METALLICA - Ride the lightning
6. TESTAMENT - The legacy
7. FORBIDDEN - Forbidden evil
8. NASTY SAVAGE - Nasty Savage
9. FLOTSAM & JETSAM - No place for disgrace
10.EXODUS - Bonded by blood

In this case we didn't even mention non-US Thrash bands like Sepultura, Kreator, Cyclone, Target, Destruction, ...

Okay yeah who talked about popularity ? (look at my passed message and just try to find this word.. good luck)­..

and yeah like i said before.. to Marcel, Its all a matter of opinion.
lol.. and yes you created a monster lol
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
30.10.2008 - 10:13
Hellish Star

Written by Guib on 30.10.2008 at 02:20

Okay yeah who talked about popularity ? (look at my passed message and just try to find this word.. good luck)­..

What do you mean by "creating a monster"?

Anyway, I don't say you mentioned "popularity", I did... I know bands like Exodus, Testament and Nuclear Assault were often more popular than bands like Agent Steel or other bands I've mentioned and that's the reason I was talking about it. In paticular because you did say that all the bands I've mentioned were 'not as good', maybe your opinion but I doubt you have ever heard the bands... If you never heard all their releases your opinion is not really objective....
----

30.10.2008 - 14:47
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Testament by far they are so talented, the vocals are great also the guitar solos and very original riffs and some slightly evil touch i love
----
Stay Metal !!!
30.10.2008 - 18:36
HugeTheConqeror

This one was tough, beause I really like both Testament and Exodus, but in the end I went with Testament. The guitar work is incredible, and I really dig Chuck Billy's vocals on the earlier releases. My only complaint about the early stuff was the recording volume on "The Legacy." It was way too low.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
31.10.2008 - 00:58
riffer
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.10.2008 at 00:54

YOU ASS;)

EXODUS AND TESTAMENT OWN OVERKILL
31.10.2008 - 00:59
Kovatch
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 31.10.2008 at 00:58

Written by Guest on 29.10.2008 at 00:54

YOU ASS;)

EXODUS AND TESTAMENT OWN OVERKILL

FUNK OFF JOEL/
LOL
16.01.2009 - 19:23
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Hellish Star on 30.10.2008 at 10:13

Anyway, I don't say you mentioned "popularity", I did... I know bands like Exodus, Testament and Nuclear Assault were often more popular than bands like Agent Steel or other bands I've mentioned and that's the reason I was talking about it. In paticular because you did say that all the bands I've mentioned were 'not as good', maybe your opinion but I doubt you have ever heard the bands... If you never heard all their releases your opinion is not really objective....

Dude Its just not part of the Second Tier.. I could be picky like you and SAY

OK YOU SHOULD INCLUDE

Violater
Dark Angel
Annihilator
Tankard
Destruction

But I ain't
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
16.01.2009 - 19:41
Luciferion

Out of teh 3 i voted Exodus, most of tehre stuff is pretty decent, expecially Bonded By Blood. For me, Testament never hooked me in teh same way, and Exodus jsut grabbed me and never let go.

On the otehr hand i quite enjoy Overkill, but they haven't released the quality of albums that Exodus has produced.

... but that's just my 2 cents. heh
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
16.01.2009 - 20:59
Hellish Star

Written by Guib on 16.01.2009 at 19:23

Written by Hellish Star on 30.10.2008 at 10:13

Dude Its just not part of the Second Tier.. I could be picky like you and SAY

OK YOU SHOULD INCLUDE

Violater
Dark Angel
Annihilator
Tankard
Destruction

But I ain't

Yeah right...
----

01.05.2009 - 07:36
ToMegaTherion

Testament for me, even though i wouldn't really consider them quite as second tier as some. I would argue that their cult popularity is amongst the biggest outside of the big 4.

Others well worth a listen are:-
Hirax
Death Angel
Forbiden
Annihilator
Holy Moses
Destruction

Just to name a handfull of very good but not so popular 80's thrash bands.
01.05.2009 - 08:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
For fun, go out and get "Get Thrashed" and put on the special features... while the actual documentary features Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Exodus, Megadeth, Suicidal Tendencies and Kreator, the special features section has a bunch commentary on the other bands in a region by region set-up.

Death Angel, Testament, Heathen, Vio-lence, Hirax, Dark Angel, Nasty Savage, Hallow's Eve and a bunch more bands get some coverage with some of the lesser known current bands doing a lot of commenting, particularly Municipal Waste* and Merciless Death.

it must upset Marcel even further that there is no mention of Holy Terror even on that expanded segment. I'll cop to being a big Holy Terror fan NOW, retroactively. lately i find myself listening to "Terror and Submission" and Vio-Lence's "Eternal Nightmare" far more frequently than any of the "Big Four" or "Second Tier" bands listed here.

(*well at least lesser known than the bands that do the bulk of commenting in the regular feature.)
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.05.2009 - 19:16
symbolic727

Nothing beats Bounded By Blood fro mthe music to the lyrics the complete package. RIP Paul Baloff.
09.05.2009 - 00:06
DayFly

Written by VPeter on 24.10.2008 at 22:46

What?! No love for German Thrash Metal?

German thrash got it all wrong. Horribly noisy approach, as if being loud and fast is everything. German Power/Thrash is great though.

Of the bands mentioned there I'd definitely pick Overkill. Horrorscope is an unheralded classic (though it needs more than one spin), my personal fav. from the genre.

Regrettably, nobody namedropped Lääz Rockit so far, so lemme be the first. Decent traditional metal band, exceptional thrashers. Also, Powermad are quite nice, leaning a bit into US power metal. And lastly Znöwhite and the successor band Cyclone Temple (thrash poets if there ever was such a thing) are great.

EDIT @ Marcel H: aren't Holy Terror a bit, I don't know, too traditional for thrash?
09.05.2009 - 09:42
ForeverDarkWoods

Overkill sure as hell is the best in the poll, but the best thrash of the eighties was more underground. Morbid Saint deserve to be mentioned.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
09.05.2009 - 20:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DayFly on 09.05.2009 at 00:06

Written by VPeter on 24.10.2008 at 22:46

What?! No love for German Thrash Metal?

German thrash got it all wrong. Horribly noisy approach, as if being loud and fast is everything. German Power/Thrash is great though.

Of the bands mentioned there I'd definitely pick Overkill. Horrorscope is an unheralded classic (though it needs more than one spin), my personal fav. from the genre.

Regrettably, nobody namedropped Lääz Rockit so far, so lemme be the first. Decent traditional metal band, exceptional thrashers. Also, Powermad are quite nice, leaning a bit into US power metal. And lastly Znöwhite and the successor band Cyclone Temple (thrash poets if there ever was such a thing) are great.

EDIT @ Marcel H: aren't Holy Terror a bit, I don't know, too traditional for thrash?

Holy Terror are as thrash as thrash gets. Just listen to them. Hell one of the main themes of Hangar 18 (Megadeth) already surfaces ona Holy Terror song. And all their songs are fast to very fast with typical thrash guitaring and all. Their choruses tend to eb a bit slower and maybe a little bit more tradtional though.

Abotu Cyclon Temple. IMO only I Hate Therefore I Am is worth the time, but then again that album is brilliant and is actually the album Metallica should have made.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.05.2009 - 20:16
DayFly

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2009 at 20:05

Holy Terror are as thrash as thrash gets. Just listen to them. Hell one of the main themes of Hangar 18 (Megadeth) already surfaces ona Holy Terror song. And all their songs are fast to very fast with typical thrash guitaring and all. Their choruses tend to eb a bit slower and maybe a little bit more tradtional though.

Abotu Cyclon Temple. IMO only I Hate Therefore I Am is worth the time, but then again that album is brilliant and is actually the album Metallica should have made.

I meant that they remind me more of Maiden than Metallica. But oh well, everybody draws their own line when treading genres I guess. Great music though.
09.05.2009 - 20:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DayFly on 09.05.2009 at 20:16

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2009 at 20:05

I meant that they remind me more of Maiden than Metallica. But oh well, everybody draws their own line when treading genres I guess. Great music though.

Strange, they never reminded me of Maiden (a band that totally reminds me of Maiden is Savage Grace, and of course Agent Steel on UNstoppable Force.). They did remind me of an evil version of the first Testament though. Ah, well, so many people, so many different opinions.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2011 - 01:39
Axe Argonian

Despite what some people think of them, I highly admire Testament. Yes, I do acknowledge that Testament is not as influential as the Big Four, that Testament's sound is somewhat derivative of Metallica's and Slayer's sounds, and that no Testament album has ever lived up to The Legacy in terms of raw energy; however, I consider Testament to be a remarkable, distinct voice in the thrash genre. Chuck Billy's voice is (at least nowadays) clearly different from James Hetfield's voice - a voice often compared to Billy's voice -, their discography has been quite consistent and solid for the most part (with the exception of a couple of bad albums), and they have remained largely undefeated throughout their career. It's also worth mentioning that unlike bands like Metallica and Megadeth, Testament has never completely shifted their style in a negative manner. Indeed, there are no St. Anger(s) and Risk(s) in their discography, and that is a good thing. Overall, though Testament may not be the best thrash metal band to ever exist, they are quite a well-rounded, consistent band that deserves some credit.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
23.03.2011 - 01:41
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Overkill all the way. Their first five albums are about as thrash as you can get.
23.03.2011 - 04:58
Yasmine

Written by Hellish Star on 27.10.2008 at 22:36

Heathen
Agent Steel
Forbidden
Vio-lence
Flotsam & Jetsam

Agent Steel and Heathen for sure. Maybe Annihilator, and some others. Personally Overkill and Testament. Exodus imo was inconsistant.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u