Metal Storm logo
Summoning

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 17.05.2006 - 05:32
Starting a new post about this amazing epic/atmospheric black metal band from Austria. Please stay on topic.

"Summoning was formed somewhere in 1993 by Silenius (Michael Gregor), Protector (Richard Lederer) and Trifixion (Alexander Trondl) who met in the sort of pub, where they used to drink. Before his activities in Summoning, Protector was playing drums in a kind of progressive thrash/death metal band "Marlignom", that nearly got a record deal at Peaceville, but in that time the band broke up. His very first musical experience was a rock band (he was 15 years old then ) and a four year study of drums in the music school. The musical experience of Silenius was a doom metal band "Shadow Vale"(at 16 years old) and few years in music school studying piano. Before Summoning, Silenius was making music, together with Pazuzu (Ray Wells) in a band Cromm (They made some demos that sounded like Abruptum, but never released anything else). Trifixion played in Pervertum.

The demos sold quite well in a record shop in Vienna, called "Why not". Some times later Silenius got in contact with T.T.(Thomas Tannenberger), who made an interview with Summoning for the local fanzine TAUB (which was the first Summoning interview).They talked a lot and T.T. told that he wanted to form a band of his own, and gave Silenius a tape with some riffs. That was the birth of Abigor. They kept contact and later Silenius replaced Rune (now singer of Amestigon) and did all vocals for all Abigor releases (except the demos) as a permanent Abigor member. As they recorded the first Abigor album("Verw'stung") for the young Napalm Records label, Silenius got in contact with Max from Napalm. They handled a deal with Summoning and soon Summoning's debut "Lugburz" was released on Napalm. That time Summoning members were: Silenius - vocals, keyboards, bass; Protector - keyboards, guitar; Trifixion - drums; And Pazuzu made some additional vocals and wrote some lyrics (he also was singing in DM way on demos). 1995 was a very creative year for Silenius and Protector, and gave lots of practising experience for them. They were involved in the following bands and projects, and made these releases: Summoning "Lugburz", "Minas Morgul"; Pazuzu "And all was silent"; Grabesmond - demo (There was also P.K. in it); Die Verbannten Kinder Evas "Die Verbannten Kinder Evas" ; Abigor "Nachthymnen"; Ice Ages "Strike the Ground"; Weltenbrand "Das Nachtvolk"; Sanguis et Cinis "Schicksal"

After they recorded "Lugburz", they kicked out Trifixion, who turned out to be a commercial thinking asshole. Guys did not want to get a new drummer and so they continued working with medieval and bombastic keyboard percussion sounds. The result can be heard on "Minas Morgul". So the band then consisted of: Protector - vocals, guitar, keyboards, drum-programming; Silenius - vocals, keyboards, bass.

As "Lugburz", an exercise in raw, Abigor-style black metal, was a "first try", and was totally different from all future material, its follow-up "Minas Morgul" was "the crown" of Summoning creation. It opened new horizons for Summoning and for BM music in general. The album was totally inspired by Tolkien themes (as all their later stuff), and was a magnificent epic/ambient BM. "Minas Morgul" contained much of the material from old demos (of course it was made in a very different way).

The next greatest album "Dol Guldur", came to light at 1996. "Dol Guldur" continued "Minas Morgul" musical and lyrical wise, and surely was the a progression in Summoning creativity. On "Dol Guldur" the music from Protector's dark/EBM project Ice Ages also can be heard ("Over Old Hills" theme is taken from "Trapped and Scared" Ice Ages song).

After this album, Summoning stopped their activity, till 1999.They also stopped their work in almost all other bands.

After a long silence, Summoning exploded with new album "Stronghold" in May 1999, forcing everybody to open their eyes and clean their ears. Album was recorded in "Nachtschatten studio" which is the home-studio of Protector, and was engineered and mixed by members of band themselves.
"Stronghold" surely showed some new ways in Summoning musical experience. On the new album, guest-singer Tania, who has also replaced Julia in Die Verbannten Kinder Evas, appeared in a song "Where hope and daylight dies", which was surely a new step for Summoning.Silenius left Abigor (Vocalist from Heidenreich replaced him) due to the lack of interest and style change, and started to work on the new industrial project Kreuzweg Ost (which is near to be released on Napalm) together with Martin Schrienk from Pungent Stench. Protector left "Whispers in the Shadows", after a new album "November", and recorded a new album "In Darkness let me dwell" with Die Verbannten Kinder Eva's (it was released at 22 of Nov.).

In the year 2001 the follow up "Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame" was released. This release was a kind of combination between the old and new style of Summoning. That means that the keyboard lines had been more epic and polyphonic again while the more complex and melodic guitar-style was more close to Stronghold. This time the band used more spoken-word samples to bring a more dramaturgic style to the songs and for the first time the band works with clear vocal choires on the finishing song of the album called "Farwell". The lyrical concept again was totally based on Tolkiens middle earth concept, but for the first time it was combined with some lyrics from another great fantasy author namely "Michael Moorcock". "
07.08.2008 - 18:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.08.2008 at 18:50

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.08.2008 at 18:45

By using the erm true/untrue I meant what is generally understood as old school raw etc bm.

A well.. Maybe you're right. I'm sorry I'm just in my period.

Don't think that I'm a fan just bitching, I do like Summoning but I really listen to them in small dosis because it can be boring.

Reading back on posts I posted yesterday it seems I am also having my period
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2008 - 13:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i need help, please

in the song "A Distant Flame Before The Sun" (from Stronghold album) since 06:12 and secondly on 07:37 there are some lyrics, but i dont understand what is the text here...and i cant find it in any lyrics, because all the available lyrics end earlier with "In elder days and years of yore", but this is sang already on 05:57...cant someone who will be able to understand it, tell me, what are these lyrics? (it is clean vocal, but i am not native english speaker and i seem to be unable to decipher it)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.09.2008 - 13:23
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
I remember a few years ago I heard some Summoning, no idea what album it was, and I didn't like it one bit but a few months ago I thought "what the heck" and downloaded what I believe to be their most popular album 'Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame' and I can say I actually loved it. The final song Farewell is godly, must have played it a good 6 times non-stop. It's an interesting style of music, in all honesty I don't see a huge amount of black metal in it but it's certainly epic. Might consider looking into some of their other albums sometime.
01.09.2008 - 21:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame is awesome with no doubt, but nowadays i am listening more and more to their previous album Stronghold...songs like The Glory Disappears or A Distant Flame Before The Sun are wonderful as well
----

03.09.2008 - 00:03
wintermaze
Account deleted
I now have Stronghold, Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame, Lost Tales and Oath Bound, all of them are masterpieces! I will order Lugburz, Minas Morgul, Dol Guldur and Nightshade Forests sometime for sure! Summoning are incredibly epic, I would say the most epic band I know and by far, my favourite one, yheir music is just majestic!

@Chris Amber : At 6:12, the Lyrics are : Now behold the awful price of treason

and at 7:37 : Through dreams I influence mankind

A distant flame before the sun is so amazing! The ending of that song is the best ending that someone could do for a song!
03.09.2008 - 19:13
-Soulreaper-
Written by Guest on 03.09.2008 at 00:03

I now have Stronghold, Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame, Lost Tales and Oath Bound, all of them are masterpieces! I will order Lugburz, Minas Morgul, Dol Guldur and Nightshade Forests sometime for sure! Summoning are incredibly epic, I would say the most epic band I know and by far, my favourite one, yheir music is just majestic!

@Chris Amber : At 6:12, the Lyrics are : Now behold the awful price of treason

and at 7:37 : Through dreams I influence mankind

A distant flame before the sun is so amazing! The ending of that song is the best ending that someone could do for a song!

Hah, that is like how I was when I first discovered Summoning. The first album I heard was Oath Bound and I loved it. Then I got Stronghold and just had to get all of the rest. I even purchased the vinyl collectors box set, Sounds of Middle Earth. Just the atmosphere and intensity of Summoning is second to none. Wonderful band.
27.09.2008 - 19:39
FOOCK Nam
I find the Lugburz is most listenable. Oath Bound and Stronghold are too abused on synth/key. Agree for "atmospheric" but I dont find any good black metal element here. Only the screaming vocal adding on keyboard music and a little bit distortion. Maybe luck for the band, their lyric would offset them.
27.09.2008 - 19:56
Sunioj
Written by FOOCK Nam on 27.09.2008 at 19:39

I find the Lugburz is most listenable. Oath Bound and Stronghold are too abused on synth/key. Agree for "atmospheric" but I dont find any good black metal element here. Only the screaming vocal adding on keyboard music and a little bit distortion. Maybe luck for the band, their lyric would offset them.

I agree. I don't get the logic into how Summoning is labeled black metal or extreme metal in general, I find it the exact opposite.
28.09.2008 - 00:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
@ Sunioj & Jed:

With all my respect: Who really gives a fuck about the genre?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.09.2008 - 00:58
Sunioj
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.09.2008 at 00:01

@ Sunioj & Jed:

With all my respect: Who really gives a fuck about the genre?

Just saying...
28.09.2008 - 01:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Sunioj on 28.09.2008 at 00:58

Just saying...

I'm just saying as well...
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.02.2009 - 18:52
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
One of my favorite atmospheric metal bands. And that doesn't include Septic Flesh or Tiamat, I mean atmospheric like Moonsorrow: looooog songs you can sleep with. Oath Bound is a very enjoyable album, as well as Nightshade Forests. But I wouldn't listen to that stuff in my car, cause that's where I like to kill my eardrums with blast beats and shrieks.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
17.03.2009 - 23:32
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Omg lol...not earlier than today i have noticed, it exists EP Nightshade Forests with four songs i havent ever heard! shame on me...
----

18.03.2009 - 18:42
wintermaze
Account deleted
Don't be ashamed dude, I have not heard their first 4 releases! But I ordered them recently, can't wait to have them in my hands!
20.03.2009 - 13:53
VPeter
Written by Ellrohir on 17.03.2009 at 23:32

Omg lol...not earlier than today i have noticed, it exists EP Nightshade Forests with four songs i havent ever heard! shame on me...

if you haven't heard about that one, what about the other ep Lost Tales?
20.03.2009 - 14:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
That one i know for a long time...Arcenstone has great begining..."The adventure starts, my friend. Of we go!"
----

27.03.2009 - 03:17
Lord_Regnier
I love Summoning. It's a great band that doesn't sound like any other, imo.

I would not label them as BM, apart from the album "Lugburz". I'd call it dark ambient music.

I like all their albums, though I think "Oath Bound" is by far their weakest. They went too far away from their BM roots on this one. I hope the next album will be more like "Minas Morgul", "Dol Guldur" or "Stronghold".
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.03.2009 - 10:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well listening to vocals, i wouldnt say, it arent black...marked "atmospheric", yes, but still bm more than anything else...

and yes, Oath Bound is "weakest", but only because previous albums are even more better
----

27.03.2009 - 21:32
-Soulreaper-
These guys need to release a new damn album. WE WANT MORE SUMMONING DAMNIT!!!
28.03.2009 - 04:55
VPeter
Written by -Soulreaper- on 27.03.2009 at 21:32

These guys need to release a new damn album. WE WANT MORE SUMMONING DAMNIT!!!

Taken from their main page:

Silenius has done session vocals for one song of the forthcomming Amestigon CD. He also is in the finishing process of the new Kreuzweg Ost CD which hopefully will be released in the middle of next year.

To avoid some commun confusions concerning the present situation of summoning; here the actual state. Protector has already made 7 song fragmentents for summoning. For a while there were plans to make a mini CD with 4 songs done only by Protector with no contribution of Silenius, because of his work on "Kreuzweg Ost", but meanwhile Protector decided to wait for Silenius and concentrate on his other projects and use the fragements for the next complete album.

It's going to take a while still I guess=/
28.03.2009 - 05:21
Lord_Regnier
I'm a member of Summoning's official forum. All I know concerning the current situation is it has been a very long time since Protector last posted on the forum (around a year, if I'm not mistaken). As for Silenius, he never visits Summoning's forum. So, no one really knows what happens with the band as for now. We believe they're working on the next album but we can't be sure.

My guess is if we're very lucky, the album could see the light of day in 2009 but I expect more 2010.

I'll try to ask Arkan Von Greifenstein about it. He's a friend of Summoning members (he's the guy who wrote the lyrics for the song "Mirdautas Vras").

By the way, people who like Summoning should check Greifenstein. It's not exactly like Summoning but it shares similarities with it. Very decent stuff, if you like atmospheric BM. Lyrics are in German.
----
28.03.2009 - 22:30
Varegan
Hamranakara
And also "Za Frûmi" is a good choice, its a folk band but its so metal, and so much like summoning imo.
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
15.04.2009 - 17:12
grand_corbeau
Account deleted
Finally the albums have been shipped! (I'm wintermaze, I got some problems with my account) I also ordered the Sounds of Middle-Earth box-set and the T-Shirts of Minas Morgul and Oath Bound. Any fans here have that Sounds of Middle-Earth box?
17.04.2009 - 03:08
Daniel
This band is amazing!

Best long train trip band

You can't get much more epic.
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
17.04.2009 - 03:16
Lord_Regnier
Written by Daniel on 17.04.2009 at 03:08

You can't get much more epic.

Their music is very epic indeed, without falling into cheesiness.
----
19.04.2009 - 01:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.03.2009 at 03:17

I like all their albums, though I think "Oath Bound" is by far their weakest.

I agree here... The only memorable song in that album is "Land Of The Dead". That's song is so damn beautiful.

It has been a very very long time since I listened to Summoning. I'm just hearing Let Mortals...
And the song "Farewell"... That must be the most perfect definition of the word EPIC I've heard in my life along with "Land Of The Dead".

The choirs on Farewell and the flute/keyboards on Land Of The Dead leave me speechless.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.04.2009 - 01:27
Lord_Regnier
@Mr.Doctor: "Land Of The Dead" is indeed the only song that stands out a bit on "Oath Bound", imo.

This is a post I wrote on another forum to summarize my impressions about this album:

"As for "Oath Bound", it's not a bad album but it's by far Summoning's weakest record to date, imo. They went too far from their BM roots on "Oath Bound". The album sounds too synthesized, guitars don't have the crackling sound they had before, songs are too repetitive and too long for what they have to offer, songs sound too much the same (nothing in them really stands out), drum patterns are too similar from song to song, and Silenius'vocals lack the raw power they had on any other Summoning album. "Oath Bound" has nothing BM, apart from vocals and, even then, they sound weaker than before. It's not necessarily a bad album but I find it boring compared to every other Summoning album. I prefer any other Summoning album to "Oath Bound" (yes, I even include "Lugburz" here)"
----
19.04.2009 - 01:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Lord_Regnier on 19.04.2009 at 01:27

(yes, I even include "Lugburz" here)"

You said that because you don't like that album too much or because the style of the debut is pretty much completely different from the things that came after?

I really liked the debut :p
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.04.2009 - 01:38
Conservationist

songs are too repetitive and too long for what they have to offer, songs sound too much the same (nothing in them really stands out), drum patterns are too similar from song to song

In my view, these are the legitimate criticisms from your list.

Production, etc. is in a different category, but above you're talking about the songs themselves.

I however like Oath Bound. My critique: it's a little droningly melancholic.
19.04.2009 - 01:40
Lord_Regnier
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.04.2009 at 01:30

(yes, I even include "Lugburz" here)"

You said that because you don't like that album too much or because the style of the debut is pretty much completely different from the things that came after?

I really liked the debut :p

I said that simply because I enjoy more "Lugburz" than "Oath Bound", even though the production value is obviously inferior on "Lugburz". I expect most people will disagree and prefer "Oath Bound", however, and will say "Lugburz" sounds shitty. Even on Summoning's official forum, some people say things like "I love Summoning but I don't like the album Lugburz".

But, you're right, "Lugburz" is different from anything else Summoning have done after. Imo, "Lugburz", though very cheaply produced, has more 'personnality' than "Oath Bound", more value as for originality. "Oath Bound" feels a bit bland and uninspired.
----