Poll

Whose solos do you find better?

Dave
Kirk

Total votes: 296
22.05.2008 - 11:30
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I am a big Metallica fan, but... I have started listening to Megadeth recently, and I have discovered that Megadeth solos are just very different from Metallica. I find them generally more melodic (if this is the right word) while Metallica have a lot of very fast and technical leads. However, if speaking specifically about Kirk vs Dave, I must admit that their playing styles rather similar. There are some differences of course, but they are not that significant. As far as my favorite solos by the two guitarists, they are:

Kirk: Unforgiven, Master of Puppets, Through The Never, Fade To Black
Dave: Five Magics, Holy Wars, Wake Up Dead (2nd)

My vote goes to Kirk just because I find his solos more beautiful, and he has more of those that I really like besides then ones I mentioned.

When I talk about my favorite solos, I am usually guided by how well they fit into a song and by melody (speed is not that important).

Talk about your favorite solos, so that there is no milk and water in your posts and so that we know what you are guided by when you pick one guitarist over the other. So I would like to know your opinion about who is better and why, and... vote! But please don't expand this thread to Metallica vs Megadeth battle; it's not what it was meant to be. Solos, just solos.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
22.05.2008 - 13:01
vatro
Account deleted
I think that dave solos are more complicated and more melodic
22.05.2008 - 13:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Im not music expert but in 80ties boath was great nowdays kirk are only one from Metallica who has no sold out him self and nowdays Megadeah kick ass
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.05.2008 - 18:11
Hamird
Lieutenant
dave mustaine is more talented imo. i never respected hammet as i respectwed mustaine.
and why you are comparing a true heavy metal guitarist with a nu metal one? its like comparing Jack Owen of Deicide and Munkey of Korn (joking) he is a good one, maybe if he would left metallica and make up his own band he would be more successful as mustaine is.
23.05.2008 - 10:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Hamird on 22.05.2008 at 18:11

dave mustaine is more talented imo. i never respected hammet as i respectwed mustaine.
and why you are comparing a true heavy metal guitarist with a nu metal one? its like comparing Jack Owen of Deicide and Munkey of Korn (joking) he is a good one, maybe if he would left metallica and make up his own band he would be more successful as mustaine is.

yeah, because Kirk is SUCH a nu-metal guitarist...

i realize it was a (LAME) attempt a joke on your part, but even still your post is a colossal failure even on a comedic front.

while Kirk might have gotten boring with/since the black album, i don't think Dave can match what he did on "Master of Puppets" or "Ride the Lightning" albums. The technique plus emotion in tracks like "Master of Puppets", "Fade to Black", etc is just amazing.

Didn't vote, but just posted to retort to the last post.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.05.2008 - 11:09
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by BitterCOld on 23.05.2008 at 10:35

Written by Hamird on 22.05.2008 at 18:11

yeah, because Kirk is SUCH a nu-metal guitarist...

i realize it was a (LAME) attempt a joke on your part, but even still your post is a colossal failure even on a comedic front.

while Kirk might have gotten boring with/since the black album, i don't think Dave can match what he did on "Master of Puppets" or "Ride the Lightning" albums. The technique plus emotion in tracks like "Master of Puppets", "Fade to Black", etc is just amazing.

Didn't vote, but just posted to retort to the last post.

i said i'm joking. but still i think Mustaine is better than Hammet imo. if all of us have same opinion we were one..
23.05.2008 - 12:20
Trinstar
Voted Kirk. I know it will probably not be the more popular of the two choices, but his solos are insane. So are Dave's, and it's a close one. Kill 'Em All had the best solos. Dave can kick it when the time is right, but Kirk is shreddy-mcshredz as far as straight solos is concerned. He is definitely the more technically skilled of the two, but I really like his solos a bit better.
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
23.05.2008 - 19:54
matthioso
also voted for kirk
to me there's no better guitarist. when he plays the solo's, you always see him play with to much emotion yet so technical...
on the other hand, I'm not such a mustaine fan. It's because - according to me - he doesn't 'live' megadeth... I mean, if tomorrow metallica would say bye to kirk or james and would ask dave to join, he wouldn't doubt one second to say 'yes'. This is clearly shown in interviews and in 'some kind of monster'.
no offence to megadeth fans, what I just said doesn't affect his guitar skills, but when I see him play I miss the emotion...
----
www.seedofrock.be
23.05.2008 - 22:00
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by matthioso on 23.05.2008 at 19:54

also voted for kirk
to me there's no better guitarist. when he plays the solo's, you always see him play with to much emotion yet so technical...
on the other hand, I'm not such a mustaine fan. It's because - according to me - he doesn't 'live' megadeth... I mean, if tomorrow metallica would say bye to kirk or james and would ask dave to join, he wouldn't doubt one second to say 'yes'. This is clearly shown in interviews and in 'some kind of monster'.
no offence to megadeth fans, what I just said doesn't affect his guitar skills, but when I see him play I miss the emotion...

I can't help agreeing with you. I have recently downloaded That One Night, and when Mustaine was playing his solos, it was totally lacking zeal (if this is a right word). I couldn't watch that show till the end. I wonder how Mustaine had performed in the early years. I still haven't made my mind on who is better despite being a die-hard Metallica fan. Ok, I want more comments!!!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
24.05.2008 - 21:39
DIO Is God
Account deleted
Dave isn't bad, but he isn't anything compared to Captain Kirk. Kirk Hammett was the first metal guitarist I was into, and still one of my favorites.
24.05.2008 - 21:48
Warman
Erotic Stains
Megadeth solos beats boring Metallica solos any day. I still love Metallica much more. Megadeth though have some of the coolest solos ever!
----
25.05.2008 - 00:05
vatro
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 24.05.2008 at 21:48

Megadeth solos beats boring Metallica solos any day. I still love Metallica much more. Megadeth though have some of the coolest solos ever!

absolutley agree with you actually i love megadeth more than metallica but anyway Dave is much more inovative
25.05.2008 - 09:45
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I vote Dave. I mean, Kirk is a great musician, he was even given lessons by Joe Satriani. BUT, I just like Dave's solos better. They tend to be more intresting, and more creatively done. Most solos that Kirk whips out are your model example of a generic thrash solo. Sure, he is the one who set that standard (or one of the ones, anyway) but I just think Dave's way cooler.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
25.06.2008 - 14:50
Demonmayonnaise
Wow... My vote tied this one up. I like Dave more. I dont really know why, I just do. Kirk is good though.
25.06.2008 - 19:04
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted

while Kirk might have gotten boring with/since the black album,...

voted for kirk. cause he is one of best guitarists ever. but 100% dave isnt. maybe "Marty Friedman" is one of the best ever.

but how can u say kirk is borring at Black Album!!!!! i think u didn think and said that. if u hate black album, u can but u cant say that kirk was bad for example at "wherever ever I May Roam" or other songs too.
25.06.2008 - 19:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Guest on 25.06.2008 at 19:04

voted for kirk. cause he is one of best guitarists ever. but 100% dave isnt. maybe "Marty Friedman" is one of the best ever.

but how can u say kirk is borring at Black Album!!!!! i think u didn think and said that. if u hate black album, u can but u cant say that kirk was bad for example at "wherever ever I May Roam" or other songs too.

i think i know what i typed when i typed it. his work on that album is boring to me compared to his earlier work. it's my opinion, deal with it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.06.2008 - 19:43
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 25.06.2008 at 19:19

Written by Guest on 25.06.2008 at 19:04

i think i know what i typed when i typed it. his work on that album is boring to me compared to his earlier work. it's my opinion, deal with it.

So Sad But True. Surrounded
25.06.2008 - 20:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
imo metallica is more divided, hetfield plays the easy slow solos and kirk the hard ones. the bad thing is kirk goes full-speed and generally does nothing else. mustaine, while not the guitarist with the best 'feeling' play, i believe outclasses hammett because he doesn't sound that monotonous, and is at least equal in technique with him, if not better(listen to the final solo's of Hangar 18)

aand to all the kirk fans: remember that The Four Horsemen and Call of Ktulu are mostly written by (guess who?)
26.06.2008 - 07:59
Demonmayonnaise
I got a hold of the no life til leather demo the other day. Its interesting hearing Dave play with them.
26.06.2008 - 09:22
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 25.06.2008 at 20:20

imo metallica is more divided, hetfield plays the easy slow solos and kirk the hard ones. the bad thing is kirk goes full-speed and generally does nothing else. mustaine, while not the guitarist with the best 'feeling' play, i believe outclasses hammett because he doesn't sound that monotonous, and is at least equal in technique with him, if not better(listen to the final solo's of Hangar 18)

aand to all the kirk fans: remember that The Four Horsemen and Call of Ktulu are mostly written by (guess who?)

Exactly played by kirk hammet and we r talkin about speed and tecniques not SONGWRITING. and yes everyone knows that some parts of those songs have written by Mustain. so?
26.06.2008 - 20:15
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Dave actually plays in more than E Minor. Kirk is one of the most boring guitarists I have ever heard. His playing is average, and just hyped up. Why do people think he is so great?
----
(space for rent)
26.06.2008 - 20:44
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Dane Train on 26.06.2008 at 20:15

Dave actually plays in more than E Minor. Kirk is one of the most boring guitarists I have ever heard. His playing is average, and just hyped up. Why do people think he is so great?

Yay, This was one of the best statements about Kirk Hammet; In my opinion he is a kind of overrated player! (Metallica fans stay calm, that's my opinion )
26.06.2008 - 21:47
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Dave Fuckin Mustaine!!! All the way... Solos are one of the best things in Megadeth, if you dont believe, listen to the Hangar 18 (has 11 solos!!) or, Rattlehead, or... Just listen to Megadeth!!
----
27.06.2008 - 17:10
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 26.06.2008 at 20:44

Written by Dane Train on 26.06.2008 at 20:15

Yay, This was one of the best statements about Kirk Hammet; In my opinion he is a kind of overrated player! (Metallica fans stay calm, that's my opinion )

so jaymz was true to not let him to play solos ROFL. the funniest things that i ever heard about metallica. do u know that metallica haters just say Paradox things in their words!
27.06.2008 - 17:26
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Guest on 27.06.2008 at 17:10

so jaymz was true to not let him to play solos ROFL. the funniest things that i ever heard about metallica. do u know that metallica haters just say Paradox things in their words!

Such a person you are? When ever I complain something you say that you are a hater... I like Metallica before Metallica. but thats as I said IN MY OPINION
his performance is not interesting for me? I enjoy some other guitarist who maybe you don't like them,,, is there any problem?
27.06.2008 - 17:36
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Hamird on 27.06.2008 at 17:26

Such a person you are? When ever I complain something you say that you are a hater... I like Metallica before Metallica. but thats as I said IN MY OPINION
his performance is not interesting for me? I enjoy some other guitarist who maybe you don't like them,,, is there any problem?

Exactly! I really dig Metallica myself. Heck, Load is actually my favorite album from them. But Kirk Hammet is really nothing special.
----
(space for rent)
27.06.2008 - 17:41
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 27.06.2008 at 17:36

Written by Hamird on 27.06.2008 at 17:26

Exactly! I really dig Metallica myself. Heck, Load is actually my favorite album from them. But Kirk Hammet is really nothing special.

if someone asks me: "do u like kirk?" i will answer not. cause i dont like his acts. but no one can close his eyes to his guitar skills. so funny when u compare kirk to mustain.
27.06.2008 - 17:42
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 27.06.2008 at 17:41

if someone asks me: "do u like kirk?" i will answer not. cause i dont like his acts. but no one can close his eyes to his guitar skills. so funny when u compare kirk to mustain.

Ah...what?
----
(space for rent)
27.06.2008 - 17:50
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Dane Train on 27.06.2008 at 17:42

Ah...what?

Exactly, Dave Mustaine must be compared with someone like Chuck Schuldiner from Death and Hammet must be compared with someone like Munkey from Korn
Guitar skills??? don't you ever heard a name of Jack Owen or Ralph Santolla????
27.06.2008 - 17:58
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Hamird on 27.06.2008 at 17:50

Written by Dane Train on 27.06.2008 at 17:42

Ah...what?

Exactly, Dave Mustaine must be compared with someone like Chuck Schuldiner from Death and Hammet must be compared with someone like Munkey from Korn
Guitar skills??? don't you ever heard a name of Jack Owen or Ralph Santolla????

omg jack owen is wearin so unmetal lol with his red fuckin guitar and glasses pffff (kiddin) and he is bald yeah ARGH lol