Metal Storm logo
Between the Buried and Me

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 17.05.2006 - 05:32
Although I'm not 100% sure this band belongs in this forum they are a band that I have become quite fond of as of late they play a style of music that is a combination between: Death Metal, Progressive Metal, and Metalcore. I would suggest that any fan of any of these genres check out song Selkies: The Endless Obsession by them because I feel that it describes their sound best. You can also tell that this band seems to be heavily influenced by bands like Opeth, The Dillenger Escape Plan, and Symphony X. Although I described them as a band that is part metalcore don't let this make you not check them out they have great drumming every song has great solo and the guitar players can both shred and sweep as well as anyone else I've heard. They have released three albums now my favorite being the newest one Alaska and one the 13th of June they are releasing a cover album which includes the following songs:
1. Metallica - Blackened
2. Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
3. Soundgarden - Day I Tried to Live
4. Queen - Bicycle Race
5. King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair
6. Pink Floyd - Us and Them
7. Smashing Pumpkins - Geek USA
8. Earth Crisis - Forced March
9. Sepultura - Territory
10. Blind Melon - Change
11. Faith No More - Malpractice
12. Depeche Mode - Little 15
13. Pantera - Cemetary Gates
With a cover cd like this you know they aren't your average band check them out they kick ass
01.08.2009 - 21:47
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by MeloDeathViking on 18.06.2009 at 19:24

I have to say, when I saw the commercials for Alaska back upon its release, i never gave it a shot and just lumped it in with all the other metalcore bands out there. I don't remember what it was, but something on this site let me know that I had to buy Colors. Whatever it was, I'm glad it did, because that album dropped a bombshell on me. In less than a week it's become one of my favorite albums, the all around complexity and song writing are absolutely astounding. I just got Alaska yesterday, and although I like it, it's definitly a notch below Colors. My only concern/questoin remains, can their next album be up to the standards they set with Colors???? I really could use another album that hits me with the force that Colors did.

I'm right there with ya. My friend just hooked me up with the album one day, and he didn't tell me at all what to expect. They have some great song writing, my favorite two being Ants and Sun, and I hope this new album continues to make their name good.
12.08.2009 - 18:25
MeloDeathViking

If anyone is interested, they are posting minute or so studio videos on they're myspace blog.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
17.08.2009 - 19:01
dEAthB3D

Between the buried and me is a great band their albums are all amazing
but colors took my attention on 2007, it was hillarious such band can create music ranging from hardcore to polka...
just amazing
well their previous albums alaska, the anatomy of..., silent circus are great too but nothin exceeds colors
and their live performance is great too, tommy's voice is terrific yet the rest of the band are clinically insane
i've heard that even mike portnoy consider this colors album the best metal album in 2005...
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
21.08.2009 - 22:20
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Why aren't they coming to new york in their tour? I've been waiting for like 2 fucking years.
27.08.2009 - 23:23
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Watching Colors Live made the whole new experience. Amazing album it turned out to be after around 5 listens and live version video.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.09.2009 - 20:11
danielllewis

A friend just got me into this band a few weeks ago, and I really like them. I had heard of them before, but dismissed them thinking that they were just some other shitty metalcore band.

I'm confused as to why people call them metalcore. After hearing Colors and Alaska, it just sounds like progressive metal to me.
----
21.09.2009 - 03:30
Jerk

"The guitarist is such a good sweeper. I don't know why they use so many breakdowns. They'll have some sweet riffage then kill it with a breakdown. They're an okay band but nothing special. They have their moments but I consider them to be metalcore. (move thread if you could somebody). Their cover of Blackened it pretty good though. I'll check out their Pantera version."

I said that back in 2006.

BTBAM are unreal. Colors is one of the best albums i've heard.
----
Oct 1 - COB, BDM
Dec 7 - CC, BoO
21.09.2009 - 04:18
SerratedSyringe

I'm from the same city as BTBAM (Raleigh), so I hear a lot of hype about them. My friend got me Colors for Christmas last year, I will say they are all incredibly talented individuals. Having said this, the album should be listened to in one sitting, not broken up into the individual tracks. For some reason when I listen to them it always brings to mind Mastodon's newer work. I still have yet to see them live, but I hear their live shows are amazing.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
21.09.2009 - 04:19
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
How does it remind you of Mastodon? They are so different lol.
22.09.2009 - 12:14
Crème fraiche

BTBAM is awesome. I'm glad i got to see them live last year with Opeth! Colors was great and I can't wait for their new cd:)

As for the genre dispute, I just simply call them progressive metalcore. Yeah, I think they belong in the metalcore category, but they're the best in the genre by far!
24.09.2009 - 21:42
SerratedSyringe

Written by bloodwrage on 21.09.2009 at 04:19

How does it remind you of Mastodon? They are so different lol.

I can't put my finger on, they both just seem a little trippy (In a very good way). I get the same vibe from both of them I guess.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
05.10.2009 - 18:13
MeloDeathViking

Anyone who hasn't checked out the first song released from the new album should go to Victory Records website. You can download Obfuscation for free. It's really excellent. It takes what Colors did and builds upon it. It sounds influenced by Dream Theater to me. If it's any indication of what the rest of the album is like, I think this album my surpass Colors.
----
10.10.2009 - 03:47
Ag Fox
Angel No More
@MDV
Listened to "Colors" again after distancing myself from it for around 3 weeks. Liked it a lot more than my first listen, though I haven't completely made up my mind about it though. Still much prefer protest the hero's Fortress
----
loves 小巫
12.10.2009 - 18:27
MeloDeathViking

Written by Ag Fox on 10.10.2009 at 03:47

@MDV
Listened to "Colors" again after distancing myself from it for around 3 weeks. Liked it a lot more than my first listen, though I haven't completely made up my mind about it though. Still much prefer protest the hero's Fortress

Well, everyone's got their own preferences. I actually go between listening to Fortress for like 2-3 weeks and then to Colors for like 2-3 weeks. Now I'm super psyched for The Great Misdirect. They're such a tease tho. The sampler they put up makes me not want to wait to more weeks to have the album.
----
12.10.2009 - 18:43
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
There are so many BTB&M fans that don't like Colors and don't think it's all that good of a release and say that it's a transitional album although I tend to disagree because as a band you have to develop and move into new territory...it's a solid release...
07.11.2009 - 20:07
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by Guest on 12.10.2009 at 18:43

There are so many BTB&M fans that don't like Colors and don't think it's all that good of a release and say that it's a transitional album although I tend to disagree because as a band you have to develop and move into new territory...it's a solid release...

I love Colors, and I love The Great Misdirect even more, which is why I don't get why it's lower than Colors in ratings.
09.11.2009 - 08:45
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 12.10.2009 at 18:43

I guess I'm one of them. I have been into them for about five or six years now and I think Colors is much weaker than the two albums that preceeded it. I really hate the production of Colors, but overall it seemed like they were trying too hard to be experimental and it just came off as a composition of a bunch of different genres thrown around randomly throughout the songs and, because of that, I don't really feel the need to check out the new album until maybe I get a computer.

Alaska will probably always be my favorite.
13.11.2009 - 21:10
Shipwrecked

I to simply wrote them off as another overrated metalcore band, but after having come across them on last.fm I was blown away. The almost Death-esque passages and melodic vocals are excellent, but the screaming seems too hardcore at times (if that makes sense) and occasional breakdowns in songs still do ruin it for me. If only they decided to seperate from the endless seas of metalcore here in the states, I think they'd be a truly wonderful band we haven't seen the likes of for a long time.
30.11.2009 - 04:36
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
The new video sucks and I am very disappointed. I think its put me off the song a little.
30.11.2009 - 06:02
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by Shipwrecked on 13.11.2009 at 21:10

I to simply wrote them off as another overrated metalcore band, but after having come across them on last.fm I was blown away. The almost Death-esque passages and melodic vocals are excellent, but the screaming seems too hardcore at times (if that makes sense) and occasional breakdowns in songs still do ruin it for me. If only they decided to seperate from the endless seas of metalcore here in the states, I think they'd be a truly wonderful band we haven't seen the likes of for a long time.

Have you not listened to BTBAM? They're quite separated from the rest of the metalcore scene for their experimental attitude. I mean, they included a country bit in "Colors." They hardly even play metalcore, it's just a melting-pot of genres really, although taken from a mainly metalcore perspective. The harsh vocals are very unique to me, I love them. I don't like much metalcore, but these guys are amazing. "Colors" is one of the greatest albums ever for me and the new one is pretty cool too.
30.11.2009 - 20:47
Shipwrecked

Written by spirit_inblack on 30.11.2009 at 06:02

Written by Shipwrecked on 13.11.2009 at 21:10

Have you not listened to BTBAM? They're quite separated from the rest of the metalcore scene for their experimental attitude. I mean, they included a country bit in "Colors." They hardly even play metalcore, it's just a melting-pot of genres really, although taken from a mainly metalcore perspective. The harsh vocals are very unique to me, I love them. I don't like much metalcore, but these guys are amazing. "Colors" is one of the greatest albums ever for me and the new one is pretty cool too.

You might have read me wrong. See, before I did listen to them I only saw hat they were always being lumped in with the many legions of metalcore bands. But after having given them a listen, I was proven wrong. We can both agree that they are definitely highly unique musically from other bands in the metalcore vein (though they incorporate many influences into their music)
What I also meant at the last part is that somehow people keeping grouping them with metalcore bands that for the most part sound nothing like BTBAM and I wished they'd break free from that.
03.12.2009 - 22:34
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I can't see what BTBAM have to do with metalcore at all. they play freaking death metal and a bit of progressive and then a lot of other things... but metalcore... that's just a mistake.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

07.12.2009 - 09:26
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by K✞ulu on 03.12.2009 at 22:34

I can't see what BTBAM have to do with metalcore at all. they play freaking death metal and a bit of progressive and then a lot of other things... but metalcore... that's just a mistake.

Have you heard their old material? It resembles metalcore more than anything else, and I guess the tag just stuck, because the aggressive parts still sound similar, but they've added random shit from random genres, making them sound "progressive" or something just because they've experimented. They aren't death metal at all.
07.12.2009 - 19:27
MeloDeathViking

Written by Dangerboner on 07.12.2009 at 09:26

Written by K✞ulu on 03.12.2009 at 22:34

Have you heard their old material? It resembles metalcore more than anything else, and I guess the tag just stuck, because the aggressive parts still sound similar, but they've added random shit from random genres, making them sound "progressive" or something just because they've experimented. They aren't death metal at all.

I have to agree with you on this one. Even just going back as far as Alaska you can hear a very evident metalcore sound. People get so worked up about something being labeled metalcore. NOT ALL METALCORE IS BAD! People don't seem to get that. They are what they're labeled, progressive metalcore, and that's not a bad thing.
----
14.10.2010 - 17:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I decided to listen to The Great Misdirect as it had been quite some time. So I made three conclusions:

1. The extreme/heavy/death metal parts that these guys have in their music is their weakness. There is very little variation in them and they therefore sound the same and and kind of annoying (which is true for all albums I guess)

2. They are very talented in songwriting and are very good musicians. ALL instruments are well played. The drumming is versatile and just really non-generic (listen to Mirrors for example). There are a great many amazing, original guitar parts and solos. The bass player is absolutely fluent and his parts are often very audible.

3. So there is a lot of potential and although The Great Misdirect is not better than Colors, it is definitely a step forward in the band's development. One can see the evolution. So basically if they basically make what Mastodon did on Crack the Skye, this I am sure would result in a great album. It would be even better though if they just variegate the heavy riffage and breakdowns.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

14.10.2010 - 18:12
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by K✞ulu on 14.10.2010 at 17:40

I decided to listen to The Great Misdirect as it had been quite some time. So I made three conclusions:

1. The extreme/heavy/death metal parts that these guys have in their music is their weakness. There is very little variation in them and they therefore sound the same and and kind of annoying (which is true for all albums I guess)

Nah, their weakness is too much experimentation - that's why their newest one is better to me. Colors was just a clusterfuck of randomness, while The Great Misdirect is a little more focused.
14.10.2010 - 18:51
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Dangerboner on 14.10.2010 at 18:12

Written by K✞ulu on 14.10.2010 at 17:40

Nah, their weakness is too much experimentation - that's why their newest one is better to me. Colors was just a clusterfuck of randomness, while The Great Misdirect is a little more focused.

I was sort of expecting an answer from you. I don't agree on Colors. For me it's just a brilliant album. But I do agree with you that these dudes are not death metal (a disagreement we had before).
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

15.10.2010 - 05:36
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I found that they experimented way too much in The Great Misdirect but it came together really well...I've never seen them live so I have no idea how the hell they produce the same thing onstage...The Great Misdirect is at many times way too much to take in...the album before TGM was kinda unfocused, yet brilliant...a lot of head scratching moments...there are a lot of times where the harsh vocals don't fit in too well, like in the jazzy progressive parts...but that's all part of experimenting...
18.10.2010 - 21:34
rational.gaze

BTBAM are an excellent band, both songwriting and live execution. They cross several layers of the metal world, weaving it all into killer songs. I personally think they are better live than on record, which is RARE in today's 10 minute myspace over recorded shit metalcore bands you see advertised all over creation and back. As a mediocre musician myself, I have tremendous respect for the talent BTBAM harnesses. I honestly am baffled not only at the guitar solos/bass lines/drumming/keys, but the arrangements in which they are played. Real musical prowess. Each album has its own "essence" so I find it hard to name a favorite. Silent Circus/Alaska are my choice in regards to heaviness, but Colors/TGM tale the cake for progressive flare. I encourage fans of all metal genres to sample a song or two and see what BTBAM has to offer.:banger:
----
.never.let.them.see.you.coming
24.10.2010 - 05:28
the stranger

I have become quite fond of this band recently thanks to a friend recommendation. After hearing Colors, Silent Circus and The Great Misdirect I must say that this band is pretty innovative, unique and outstanding. The changes of pace, breaks and the general flow each song has is remarkable. Can't get bored with it.