Reviewer:
Band: Mass Extinction
Album: Creations Undoing
Release date: 2007

01. Bodies For The Slaughter
02. Manipulating Evolution
03. Global Assassin
04. Kill On Command [bonus] [Vio-Lence cover]

It's always cool to discover young bands which play old school Thrash Metal. Mass Extinction, which comes from Ireland, is one of them. "Creations Undoing" is their new EP and seriously I'm nicely surprised by this release. Sure this is classic old school Thrash but it's well done and if you like naughty Thrash Metal a la Slayer or Vio-Lence I hope that you'll have a look on this EP.

Of course if you're looking for diversity and originality, "Creations Undoing" will not be so great for you. Mass Extinction plays old school Thrash Metal and the band doesn't want to surprise anybody here. The only main goal, I suppose, of this Irish combo is to play Thrash and real Thrash. And they're good to do that! "Creations Undoing" is clearly influenced by Bay Area Thrash Metal. If you like Exodus or Vio-Lence I'm sure that you'll like this EP. I can even say that "Creations Undoing" is really near of the music of Slayer when the band, during the 80's, was the king of dark and corrosive Thrash Metal. The music of Mas Extinction is fast definitely but dark and always a bit naughty, don't expect any happy choruses, this is pure violence and well it's great in the end.

On the other hand despite the fact that "Creations Undoing" is a good album and features three really good songs (plus a nice cover of Vio-Lence) this is really classic and definitely not new. What I want to say here is that you cannot expect anything new or original with this band but at least this EP is well produced, our guys know how to do great guitar soli, they're great musicians and if you like Thrash you'll like their music.

"Creations Undoing" is a promising EP. I like to listen to Thrash Metal and I can tell you that Mass Extinction knows how to play such music. No originality here but a lot of great music which comes from the heart so if you want to support a good newcomer, try to listen to this band and I'm sure that you'll have some good surprises. Let's hope now that the band will be able to release an album soon to confirm these positive hopes.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written by Jeff | 26.05.2008

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 43 users
27.05.2008 - 21:16
iaberis
Advice Troll
Great cover, wish I could say the same about the music...
----
Bitch! Please
14.12.2012 - 03:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Was going through countries, saw Jamaica, was expecting stoner, got some good thrash.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 4517 | This month: 3