Metal Storm logo
Secrets Of The Moon

Original post

Posted by TheBigRossowski, 04.06.2008 - 13:47
If you haven't heard of Secrets Of The Moon or just haven't listened to an album, you should pick one up in the near future!

The bands main focus has always been the occult and they seem to relay that message through their music. The albums are filled with various aspects of their religious views and it goes a bit deeper than lyrics saying "HAIL SATAN".

You can hear some of the music on myspace and also their mainpage. Carved in Stigmata Wounds is a more technical album and has some of the most appealing music I've ever heard, but Antithesis is definitely a milestone in the "black metal" genre or it will become one sometime in the future!

*www.secretsofthemoon.org

*http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=58810502

Let me know what you think!
14.09.2009 - 19:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by TheBigRossowski on 14.09.2009 at 19:38

...but you gotta give them a chance at a more personal show.

It is imposible for a show to get more personal then where I saw them (at The Little Devil) unless they play in my bedroom
Seriously Little Devil is one of the smallest venues around.
They had a good sound there, but they played extremely sloppy. And I still stand by my words that their music is copy past stuff from other bands and that they sound generic as can be.
With a good sound it is ppossible to pass judgement on a band without knowing their music too well or even not know it at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.09.2009 - 20:19
TheBigRossowski

It does seem like things have gone a bit downhill since Carved in Stigmata Wounds... but I was expecting something above Antithesis, darker...
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
15.09.2009 - 15:25
TheBigRossowski

I must retract some of my more negative statements. The new album is great, it truly is! The thing is this though, it wasn't boring, it was expected. The difference between Carved.. and Antithesis was enormous, the leap of stages...even with the Exhibition EP. They took away the technical and speed aspects and entered a darker, more atmospheric realm.

Now we're at ''Privilegivm'' and there are no surprises, but an updated formula from ''Antithesis''. With the exception of ''Shepherd'', due to the rather peculiar vocals. Nothing overwhelming, but nonetheless a masterpiece to follow up after A..

Just got the Vinyl today, need to add it to my list. That's still a bit earlier than expected, but it doesn't matter! Listened to it three times with my iPod today and now I'm listening to the Vinyl.

Listen to Black Sabbath's ''Planet Caravan'' and then ''Shepherd'', they sound similiar (not saying they copied it), but Shepherd has an eerie feeling to it.
----
16.09.2009 - 21:50
TheBigRossowski

Secrets of the Moon= Transcendental Metal

If I had to describe the new album and the bands jump from every album, I'd simply use the word transcendental, thus TM, lol.
----
16.09.2009 - 21:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Stop spamming, dude, this album is nothing special just a dime a dozen black metal
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.09.2009 - 15:38
TheBigRossowski

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.09.2009 at 21:53

Stop spamming, dude, this album is nothing special just a dime a dozen black metal

There was a day between each post... a little something extra everyday

You haven't fully digested this album yet Marcel. It's just like if I told you Doom metal is full of recycled riffs and tired old Dudes, the same thing over and over again.

But I know, I don't like For They Know Not, Shepherd and Descent. Black Halo is definitely cool though.
----
21.09.2009 - 17:54
Ascendant187

Where would you place it in their discography, Rossowski? As good as previous efforts or not quite there?
05.10.2009 - 12:08
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by TheBigRossowski on 15.09.2009 at 15:25

I must retract some of my more negative statements. The new album is great, it truly is! The thing is this though, it wasn't boring, it was expected. The difference between Carved.. and Antithesis was enormous, the leap of stages...even with the Exhibition EP. They took away the technical and speed aspects and entered a darker, more atmospheric realm.

Now we're at ''Privilegivm'' and there are no surprises, but an updated formula from ''Antithesis''. With the exception of ''Shepherd'', due to the rather peculiar vocals. Nothing overwhelming, but nonetheless a masterpiece to follow up after A..

Just got the Vinyl today, need to add it to my list. That's still a bit earlier than expected, but it doesn't matter! Listened to it three times with my iPod today and now I'm listening to the Vinyl.

Listen to Black Sabbath's ''Planet Caravan'' and then ''Shepherd'', they sound similiar (not saying they copied it), but Shepherd has an eerie feeling to it.

Good thing you gave the album a few more listens man, I would say I have pretty much the same impression you have. I was hoping it would be similar to Antithesis, but better, overall it is a great album, SOtM are definitely becoming one of my top ten favourite bands.
I too was expecting more from this album, however, I am not disappointed at the same time.

I'm sure other people got the same initial impression from "Shepard". I had my winamp going in the background and when the song started up I thought that it was a cover or rendition of "Planet Caravan", I even did a bit of searching to see if it was a cover song since it doesn't fit with any of SOtM's other work.
As for "For They Knot Not", it seems pretty good to me...I could be very mistaken but, isn't "for they know not" a lyrical bit from one of their previous works that's repeated a few times in a differant song? May be my imagination.

Overall: SOtM have indeed created another work of art, and that's how I see their music, where each album is like some sort of audible painting that progresses as the band does, the style is distinctive and their own yet it evolves. This is one of those albums that is worth the cash.

Lastly - according to wikipedia, their current bassist is or was in Hell Militia(?)...
05.10.2009 - 17:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bitter Dawn on 05.10.2009 at 12:08

Lastly - according to wikipedia, their current bassist is or was in Hell Militia(?)...

Yes, and SHE is or was also in Anteaus.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.10.2009 - 23:26
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.10.2009 at 17:00

Written by Bitter Dawn on 05.10.2009 at 12:08

Yes, and SHE is or was also in Anteaus.

She eh? That's pretty cool, I wish there were more women into metal, especially black metal.
05.10.2009 - 23:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bitter Dawn on 05.10.2009 at 23:26

She eh? That's pretty cool, I wish there were more women into metal, especially black metal.

Yep., a French she ;-)
Just in case you're wondering LSK is the one in the middle http://www.metal-archives.com/images/6/4/4/7/6447_photo.jpg
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.10.2009 - 11:06
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.10.2009 at 23:44

Yep., a French she ;-)
Just in case you're wondering LSK is the one in the middle http://www.metal-archives.com/images/6/4/4/7/6447_photo.jpg

She's in some pretty damn good bands actually, I've always thought that France has some of the best black metal in the world, and this only continues to confirm that impression. I just discovered Vorkreist and AnteauS, very cool shit.

Man, North America sucks. Generally shitty bands, and all the beautiful metal broads live in Europe, it's true!
08.10.2009 - 13:35
TheBigRossowski

Written by Bitter Dawn on 06.10.2009 at 11:06

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.10.2009 at 23:44

Yep., a French she ;-)

She's in some pretty damn good bands actually, I've always thought that France has some of the best black metal in the world, and this only continues to confirm that impression. I just discovered Vorkreist and AnteauS, very cool shit.

Man, North America sucks. Generally shitty bands, and all the beautiful metal broads live in Europe, it's true!

Yes, we know this

LSK is pretty relaxed too. We talked a bit in Frankfurt and Paderborn, but at the Nürnberg show we didn't see each other. In Frankfurt, they had watched The Big Lebowski, so we were talking about the movie a bit and drinking White Russians. Good shit.

When you listened to Blood Libels (AntaeuS), did you have to change your pants?

No idea what Shepherd is all about... but it's damn eerie. They played Sulphur, I Maldoror and Queen Among Rats at the last show I was at, the new songs. As well as Evolution Valour Admission (from CiSW)...which I've never seen before live. The rest was to be expected, Ghost, Lucifer Speaks, etc.

Oh and they dedicated a song to us, lol. That's always so awesome. At my first show with them (Hanau), they dedicated ''To the Ultimate Embers and Ash'' to me. This time they said ''Seraphim is Dead is dedicated to the Ross Family''. Thanks, dudes!
----
09.10.2009 - 05:34
MetallicA

They are playing in my city like next week. I'll definitely try and go check them out! (that's if i have the funds haha)
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
30.12.2009 - 23:23
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Would they classify as "brutal" black metal or more ambient/atmospheric? i'm too lazy to listen to them and make an opinion
30.12.2009 - 23:43
Slayer666

Damn, this sounds really interesting.... Most certanly checking it out. If BitterDawn says it's slowly becoming one of his favourite bands, that's all the more reason to check it.
05.01.2010 - 11:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hmm, seems they prefer to make their music more atmospheric and melodic, just listened to the song "Lucifer Speaks" and i must say it's pretty good.

edit: listened to all of their stuff that they usually play live these days, they are fairly interesting and hopefully i'll be able to catch them at Wacken.
08.05.2010 - 02:14
The Turbanator

Quote:
Quote:

Darkestrah has a female member. Epic band.

Back to the topic, how can SOTM be religious when they have a song called 'Lucifer Speaks'? IMO Antithesis is their best release so far.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
14.05.2010 - 01:04
TheBigRossowski

Quote:
Quote:
Written by The Turbanator on 08.05.2010 at 02:14

Darkestrah has a female member. Epic band.

Back to the topic, how can SOTM be religious when they have a song called 'Lucifer Speaks'? IMO Antithesis is their best release so far.

I didn't even realize anyone had been posting in my beloved thread. The new album got SO much praise, but wasn't nearly as good as Antithesis or Carved in Stigmata Wounds. Oh well...

On to your question! What does it mean to be religious to you? Christians are religious, Buddhists are religious, Satanists are religious. You sound a bit curious about the orthodox scene if I'm correct here. Just because a band defines itself as religious doesn't mean they're Christian. Quite the opposite.

And Antithesis being your favorite album from them is like...ugh, your fucking opinion, man (to quote Big Lebowski). A. is definitely a brilliant album! Carved is definitely jizz in your pants material.

I wrote on myspace that I had done sex magick to that song and SOTM wrote it in a bulletin or something, lol.
----