Metal Storm logo
First Wave Black Metal Battle

Original post

Posted by ASiema113, 05.06.2008 - 06:42
Well I've only heard a bit out of each band, but I'm going with Venom on this one because of their brutal lyrics & thrashy sound. Not to mention these guys came out with the album "Black Metal", so what does everyone else think?

Poll

Alright so who's your favorite Black Metal Band from the First Wave?

Bathory
Mercyful Fate
Celtic Frost
Venom
Other
Hellhammer

Total votes: 181
09.11.2011 - 23:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by siscanator on 09.11.2011 at 23:13
Sarcofago

You'd be surprised how many people are completely unaware of their existence.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.11.2011 - 08:45
siscanator

Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.11.2011 at 23:15

Sarcofago

They're missing out. INRI is an awesome album. So is the Crust even though its more death metal
10.11.2011 - 08:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by siscanator on 10.11.2011 at 08:45
They're missing out. INRI is an awesome album. So is the Crust even though its more death metal

Well there is that lovely "other" choice in the poll.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.11.2011 - 11:37
fabregassed
Account deleted
Aren't Sarcofago the first metal band to use blastbeats or something?
10.11.2011 - 12:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.11.2011 at 23:15

Sarcofago

they are the falses and must be burned and died if they decides to entry.
10.11.2011 - 20:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Ya most people are only aware of them for their terrible lyrics...
----
20.12.2011 - 21:24
Aristarchos

Mercyful Fate has the most interesting songs
20.12.2011 - 23:08
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
I would say Venom for the most part, but Bathory is good as well. Venom probably influenced more thrash/black/death bands than most bands did at the time.
02.01.2012 - 17:01
Infernal Eternal

BATHORY RAAH
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
09.01.2012 - 22:32
algirdongas

Well i made my choice between Bathory and Celtic Frost both had their great albums and both had big influence on the 2nd wave of bm and on dm also. Well I voted for celtic frost.
10.01.2012 - 00:09
Joppe
Steelemeister
From the options available: Mercyful Fate

But how about Running Wild's debut Gates to Purgatory?
----
My vision is augmented
10.01.2012 - 01:39
metal_communard

Written by Kimiwind on 18.10.2009 at 12:46

I Voted of course for Mercyful fate !! the band who gave the birth of black metal we lisen now and also the horror and the satanic influnce by the danish legend King diamond !!

So, that would be it, the lyrical themes, mood and the image?

I can't fathom how a heavy metal band such as Mercyful Fate could be considered as part of the first wave of black metal (as opposed to being a huge influence upon the first wave bands, which is certainly true), and comparing Hellhammer and Bathory to MF is just...I dunno.
Pretty much the same goes for Venom, though to a lesser extent.
10.01.2012 - 11:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by metal_communard on 10.01.2012 at 01:39

Written by Kimiwind on 18.10.2009 at 12:46

I Voted of course for Mercyful fate !! the band who gave the birth of black metal we lisen now and also the horror and the satanic influnce by the danish legend King diamond !!

So, that would be it, the lyrical themes, mood and the image?

I can't fathom how a heavy metal band such as Mercyful Fate could be considered as part of the first wave of black metal (as opposed to being a huge influence upon the first wave bands, which is certainly true), and comparing Hellhammer and Bathory to MF is just...I dunno.
Pretty much the same goes for Venom, though to a lesser extent.

Mercyful Fate are a part of the first wave of black metal whether you can fathom it or not. Simple, live with it.
And Bathory started off as a blatant Venom rip-off soundwise, so...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2012 - 13:32
metal_communard

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.01.2012 at 11:58

Mercyful Fate are a part of the first wave of black metal whether you can fathom it or not. Simple, live with it.
And Bathory started off as a blatant Venom rip-off soundwise, so...

Well, I've got your mighty assertion and not a damn thing else to help me understand this classification. How about some elaboration, huh?
10.01.2012 - 17:14
larshammer

Blasphemy, no doubt.
10.01.2012 - 22:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Just because Mercyful Fate are considered to be part of the first wave doesn't mean they have any ties to black metal sound-wise.
----
11.01.2012 - 01:09
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.01.2012 at 22:18

Just because Mercyful Fate are considered to be part of the first wave doesn't mean they have any ties to black metal sound-wise.

finally !
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
11.01.2012 - 01:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.01.2012 at 01:09
finally !

I'm not the only one who thinks that. Marcel's generation had no idea how to label bands like Mercyful Fate at the time because they were so different from Maiden and Priest, but black metal wasn't a tag that was being thrown around like it is now.

Don't get me wrong, they're completely influential for their image and lyrical content, but their music has absolutely 0% to do with black metal. The "first wave" is more like history's way of saying "these bands aren't black metal but they were more extreme than most other bands in their day so we had to label them differently".
----
11.01.2012 - 01:17
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.01.2012 at 01:12

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.01.2012 at 01:09
finally !

I'm not the only one who thinks that. Marcel's generation had no idea how to label bands like Mercyful Fate at the time because they were so different from Maiden and Priest, but black metal wasn't a tag that was being thrown around like it is now.

Don't get me wrong, they're completely influential for their image and lyrical content, but their music has absolutely 0% to do with black metal. The "first wave" is more like history's way of saying "these bands aren't black metal but they were more extreme than most other bands in their day so we had to label them differently".

let me repeat : FINALLY!
im trying to explain that for too long time now...i guess im bad with words...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
11.01.2012 - 01:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.01.2012 at 01:17
im trying to explain that for too long time now...i guess im bad with words...

Ah, fair enough. Well now you've got an explanation that you can definitely borrow.
----
11.01.2012 - 03:15
RavenKing

Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.01.2012 at 22:18

Agreed. The only band that sounded like Black Metal back then is Bathory, especially on "The Return" and "Under The Sign Of The Black Mark".

By the way, I'm not even sure if the label 'Black Metal' existed in the 80s or if the so-called first-wave bands were called BM only later. As far as I can remember, they were either labelled as Thrash or Speed Metal.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
11.01.2012 - 12:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by RavenKing on 11.01.2012 at 03:15

By the way, I'm not even sure if the label 'Black Metal' existed in the 80s or if the so-called first-wave bands were called BM only later. As far as I can remember, they were either labelled as Thrash or Speed Metal.

The label was thrown around, at least on mainland Europe for Venom, Mercyful Fate, Bulldozer, Bathory. None of those bands were labeled as thrash or speed metal here.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.01.2012 - 00:54
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.01.2012 at 12:31

The label was thrown around, at least on mainland Europe for Venom, Mercyful Fate, Bulldozer, Bathory. None of those bands were labeled as thrash or speed metal here.

Europe has always been a few steps ahead of America when it comes to metal music.
Metal is bigger there.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
10.04.2012 - 11:34
Infernal Eternal

One man rode the way through the woods, down to Asa bay...
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
10.04.2012 - 15:39
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.01.2012 at 12:31

i think that Quorthon himself labeled his early music as Death Metal in majority of interviews before the peak of Second wave... even than he was not eager to use term Black Metal a lot....
----
12.04.2012 - 15:55
Dàibh

It came down to a toss up between Bathory & Celtic Frost for me.

I eventually voted Bathory.
13.04.2012 - 09:18
bran

This is tough one the only band i really didnt care for was celtic frost. if i had a gun pointed to my head i would choose mercyful fate, love every album from melissa to 9.
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
13.04.2012 - 17:17
Branzig

It has to be Bathory.

The self-titled LP is just dripping with some of the most influential black metal themes and riffs.
----
In Grind We Crust
14.10.2012 - 13:38
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Bathory is amazing, even though I love their viking era stuff more, their black metal material is fantastic as well.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
16.10.2012 - 17:20
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I've never been much of a fan of Bathory, and I hate Venom. So I'm probably going with Mercyful Fate