02. Crying For Eternity
03. Embraced
04. Daylight Torn
05. Pity The Sadness
06. No Forgiveness
07. Your Hand In Mine
08. The Word Made Flesh
09. As I Die

After the monumental and utterly influential for the gothic/doom metal scene of the 90s "Gothic", Paradise Lost parted ways with Peaceville Records and signed a contract with the rising Music For Nations. The number of their fans had grown and everyone was waiting for the third official release of this shrouded by darkness UK band. Finally, "Shades Of god" saw the light of day back in 1992.

The compositions have become groovier and less complex whereas the guitars sound heavier keeping an intense sense of doom (am I the only one that finds in "Shades Of God" a Black Sabbath touch in the guitars at times?) bearing the exceptional signature of Greg Mackintosh. Nick Holmes' grunting voice is still there, yet not so deep as it was back in "Lost Paradise" and "Gothic", but without losing in emotion and expression. The suffocating dark atmosphere that only Paradise Lost know how to evoke unleashing grey emotions of bleakness and decadent melancholy in the air is always there, helped this time by a much better production, drowning the listener in a sea of oblivious tears under the secret eye of the "shades of god"?

? that opens with a monumental song, "Mortals watch the day". The guitar work is stunning paving the way for Holmes' grunting voice to interpret lyrics of pure desperation filling your heart with freezing emotions. The album flows with "Crying Eternity" and "Embraced", this one in a bit faster mood, in a doomy way with slow guitar riffing, accompanying rhythm section and Nick Holmes' expressive grunts; but still, only Holmes' grunts can't make a song great. After a great opener and two just good compositions, "Daylight torn" comes to raise the interest of the listener to high levels. Holmes' ecstatic grunting voice harmonizes wonderfully with the inspired guitar riffing while at times beautiful-sounding acoustic guitar chords paint the soundscape with bitter colors enriching the desperate dark atmosphere.

"Shades of god" flows wonderfully with a masterpiece, "Pity the sadness", and Mackintosh burns the shrouds with his flaming guitar as some acoustic parts evoke a serene melancholic feeling in the air at times whereas Holmes grunts ecstatically filled with anger and pain coming straight from his heart, expressed straight from the throat. Sadness and grief knock the door at your darkest hour as "No forgiveness" starts echoing and shadows surround you; the mourning guitar riffing and Holmes' grunting voice evoke a distressing atmosphere as the rhythm section holds tight the song. "Your Hand in Mine" follows and clear vocal experimentations in a gothic vein make their appearance at times. The guitar riffing is fabulous and ranges from slow guitar ideas to distressing guitar solos paving the way for Holmes' haunting interpretation.

The album flows with "the World Made Flesh", a mid-tempo groovy composition with exceptional atmosphere-evoking guitar work and Holmes' grunts strengthening the feeling of dismay that floats in the air leading "Shades of God" to its end in the most appropriate way, with a real masterpiece of inspiration and emotion, "As I Die". The rhythm section evokes a dying pulse in the air whilst the guitar work is stunning and deeply inspired harmonizing in a perfect way with Holmes' interpretation with every single word he utters being a final dying vision.

"Shades of God" back in 1992 was an album showing the soundscapes that Paradise Lost would explore in the forthcoming future with "Icon" and "Draconian Times", at a primary phase though, but also having a connection with the glorious recent past, a fading one. A must-have for all the Paradise Lost fans and not only!

Written on 24.01.2005 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 95 users
05.06.2008 - 07:55
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
wow.. a great improovement from ''Ghotic''... thats the best PL album in my opinion, since i hate their electro gothic albuns... its fast, the solos are great, more atmospheric, acoustic parts.. its good... real metal.. not like ''Host'' or ''One Second''.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
20.10.2008 - 15:57
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Uirapuru on 05.06.2008 at 07:55

real metal.. not like ''Host'' or ''One Second''.

Last time I checked, the band didn't say to the fans that those albums were metal.

Now back on topic... I disagree with the rating, this album is really overlooked that it's a fucking shame to be honest.
The solos and riffs are just killers and Holmes' vocals angry as ever.
But the rating isn't the important thing, I like your review.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.06.2009 - 03:31
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Uirapuru on 05.06.2008 at 07:55

wow.. a great improovement from ''Ghotic''... thats the best PL album in my opinion, since i hate their electro gothic albuns... its fast, the solos are great, more atmospheric, acoustic parts.. its good... real metal.. not like ''Host'' or ''One Second''.

I'm gonna quote myself now to correct the things wrote -_-'

I've been listening to their electro material with higher frequency and have to say that gets better and better as I listen. This one is not my favorite PL album after all. I just really hated the electro goth albums before, and start to like just now, a huge time after... music is funny
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
22.12.2009 - 03:52
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
"After the monumental and utterly influential for the gothic/doom metal scene of the 90s "Gothic"".

nice to heard the truth on this one, cause I was read that Gothic album is the Purest Gothic Metal album ever in the DerRozzengarten's review about Gothic album. but here I saw he says Gothic/Doom

nice Review but its a little boring to read about Vocals in every line of this review.
22.12.2009 - 04:47
Rating: 10
Richard

Well, this was a pretty good review from who now seems to be an ex-Metal Stormer! (Where are you now, Rozz?!)

Anyway, 'Shades of God' is quite possibly my favourite album of all time, since I first got it in 1992 or so. I like the Black Sabbath comparison in the review - for truly, the riffage on this opus rivals the master Tony Iommi himself!

Though not an 'instant' album, it has a lot to offer the patient listener - variety, depth, heaviness and melancholy. I disagree that this album is "less complex" than before though, as although this album has some very catchy moments, at times it also shows a progressive side which the band hasn't really shown before or since.
----
22.12.2009 - 22:21
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 22.12.2009 at 04:47

Well, this was a pretty good review from who now seems to be an ex-Metal Stormer! (Where are you now, Rozz?!)

unfortunately last time he said: "Im not into metal so much nowadays, Im into Goth and Punk ..." it was what he said to me.

Im agree about your view, this album and "Draconian Times" and recently "Faith Devides Us .... " are their best albums I think.

Hits total: 10267 | This month: 15