01. Thor
02. Bärenpelz Und Wolfsmantel
03. Heimwärts
04. Runenstein
05. Midsommernacht
06. Zwei Raben
07. Siegvater
08. Frostland

"Zwischen Asgard Und Midgard" is the last album of the German act Thrudvangar. Between Black and Viking Metal this new release (that I consider a lot more Black than "Viking" by the way) is a solid album of epic music. Thrudvangar is not that kind of bands which will re-invent a genre but they're good to play their music and I really think that a lot of metalheads from the fans of Black Metal to the folkers will find a real interest in the release.

What I like the most in "Zwischen Asgard Und Midgard" is the really cold aspect of the album. Sure this is really epic and the choruses have some really good battlefield atmospheres but all in all, this album is dark and naughty. Ok this is not Funeral Doom but some songs are not that fast with good mid-tempos and the dark atmospheres mixed with cool Viking melodies are superb. This album is powerful and violent but on the other side this is also a bit atmospheric and I like it. All in all, "Zwischen Asgard Und Midgard" sound like some kind of really epic Black Metal with a lot of slow atmospheric passages which are not so far away of Doom Metal (but that's not Doom ok?). This is the really good side of the album; some other bands already play the same kind of music but Thrudvangar doesn't have to take any lessons from them.

"Zwischen Asgard Und Midgard" is not a revolutionary album, that's maybe its biggest negative point but its production is ok the booklet and artwork are maybe a bit kitsch but are ok for such kind of music. "Zwischen Asgard Und Midgard" is not a musical demonstration and I would not be able to say that you'll listen to amazing musicianship performances on the release but it's correct, vocals like instruments are more than good for the music of the band.

"Zwischen Asgard Und Midgard" is a good album with good ideas and good moments. This is not the album of the year but I'm sure that all the fans of Viking and Pagan music will like the release. Thrudvangar is an honest band I hope that you'll find a way to listen to their music, some of you will definitely like it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 08.06.2008

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 82 users
09.06.2008 - 02:44
Baz Anderson

This may be their best album yet, it's probably their most mature anyway.
They are a good band and coincidentally I listened to this album only a couple of days ago again.
It does sound dark indeed, but it still sounds like them - this album was quite a highlight of the genre last year.

Hits total: 4761 | This month: 2