Metal Storm logo
Nightwish

Original post

Posted by Elodie Artour, 09.06.2008 - 16:12
Hey, guys! Don't you think it's high-time someone started a new topic about one of my favourite (and not only mine, actually) bands - Nightwish?

I adore them - both with Tarja and with Anette!

Well, I think there is not much for me to say, as I've already written most of the things I've wanted to.

So, feel free to discuss things, related to the topic 'Nightwish'.

P.S.: No arguing and offensing, please! Long ago, there have been rules added, which are meant to show what's not to do on this forum.
20.12.2008 - 17:01
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Sunioj on 20.12.2008 at 09:02

Written by Arian Totalis on 20.12.2008 at 02:41

Written by Sunioj on 20.12.2008 at 00:35

Written by Ernis on 19.12.2008 at 19:31

Written by Sunioj on 19.12.2008 at 18:18

'But Sunioj, surely she has one of the best operatic vocals in metal!!' - Nope, disagree. I think Annette has a clearer tone and better range.

At the same time Anette isn't an operatic singer which means she can't be compared with Tarja.....but that's true....Tarja sang in a dry manner often.....Anette tends to add more adornments to her singing and makes live performances interesting by playing with her vocals....that's always a plus if you know to perform in such a manner instead of just coming on stage, singing the given tracks and that'd be all.....

About ranges....no....Tarja's and Anette's ranges are also different.....they use different methods when singing....you've got falsetto and the chest voice (full vocal chords)....Anette rarely uses falsetto and usually relies exclusively on the chest voice which does make hitting high notes a challenge which is the reason she prefers bringing the melody one octave lower instead of switching to the head voice (Tarja used to sing with her operatic sound...but in case you didn't notice, started using it less often later...)....

Also....Tarja indeed is one of the best operatic vocalists who has contributed to metal but I personally believe she's shadowed by the bright shiny sopranos Lori Lewis and Melissa Ferlaak.....

Well to me it always seems like Tarja is singing at a comfortable level and doesn't really inspire me much, even when she doesn't... still, sounds flat to me. I know that Annette is known as the poppier sounding of the two but I still prefer her voice and I have heard her sing a few operatic parts so its not limited to 'poppy vocals'. I've heard all Nightwish albums so I'm not basing my thoughts on one or two albums

I definitly prefer Tarja, but it is true that as an operatic vocalist, sge isn't nearly as good as she could be, and a big [art of her faults is that she sings in a more dry, mono-tone manner. But I just think her voice made Nightwish sound so much more unique, and even though it was dry, I still think that she made some beautiful songs. Sleeping son is a masterpiece, and from a technical aspect Dead Boys Poem is very good actually....but this is all just me. I actually prefer Anette live, she's much better with crowds. I've seen them twice, both times with anette, and she's alot of fun. I think I'll go see them again in march....

Yeah, its understandable that you'd prefer Tarja. I mean, she was always the icon of Nightwish and I do admit for what its worth, her voice did something special for some of the older classic songs. My favorite Tarja era album will always be Oceanborn. The later had a select few songs that I really enjoyed but I can listen to Oceanborn through and through without being bored.

Oceanborn is definitly my favorite album as well. The Riddler, Stargazers, Swanheart, and The Pharaoh Sails to Orion are all simply amazing tracks.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
21.12.2008 - 00:36
Elodie Artour
Slania
Hmm... I surely like "Oceanborn" but definitely not as much as "Century Child" for example. There is also a Nightwish album that I don't like much - "Wishmaster". Don't know, it sounds too "powerish" to me... :
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
21.12.2008 - 09:11
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Elodie Artour on 21.12.2008 at 00:36

Hmm... I surely like "Oceanborn" but definitely not as much as "Century Child" for example. There is also a Nightwish album that I don't like much - "Wishmaster". Don't know, it sounds too "powerish" to me... :

That's blasphemy...lol....everyone's obliged to like "Wishmaster"....you're not a tro00 kvlt Nightwish fan if you don't think Fishmonster's their "best effin song evah!"
21.12.2008 - 09:44
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ernis on 21.12.2008 at 09:11

That's blasphemy...lol....everyone's obliged to like "Wishmaster"....you're not a tro00 kvlt Nightwish fan if you don't think Fishmonster's their "best effin song evah!"

I like wishmaster very much because I like power metal but I don't think that is their best album, I prefer Oceanborn over it.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
21.12.2008 - 22:39
Fhuesc
I also think Oceanborn is their best work so far. It was a huge change from Angels, and they did it exceptionally well.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
23.12.2008 - 10:12
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Ernis on 21.12.2008 at 09:11

Haha yeah it seems like a lot of people like Wishmaster. I think the album is their best one, but I prefer She Is My Sin over Wishmaster
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
23.12.2008 - 13:17
Ernis
狼獾
Written by GT on 23.12.2008 at 10:12

Haha yeah it seems like a lot of people like Wishmaster. I think the album is their best one, but I prefer She Is My Sin over Wishmaster

I share your opinion....I also consider "SIMS" better than the "Wishmaster"....also..."FantasMic", "Dead Boy's Poem", "Crownless" and "Come Cover Me" are better than "Wishmaster" in many ways......
26.12.2008 - 22:30
Torelli
Written by Ernis on 23.12.2008 at 13:17

I share your opinion....I also consider "SIMS" better than the "Wishmaster"....also..."FantasMic", "Dead Boy's Poem", "Crownless" and "Come Cover Me" are better than "Wishmaster" in many ways......

The "wishmaster" song is somewhat ruined nowdays anyway, it's impossible to listen to it now without thinking of the parody of it. Actually, it most be one of the worst tracks on the album if you allow me to be that blunt...
27.12.2008 - 10:15
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 26.12.2008 at 22:30

Written by Ernis on 23.12.2008 at 13:17

The "wishmaster" song is somewhat ruined nowdays anyway, it's impossible to listen to it now without thinking of the parody of it. Actually, it most be one of the worst tracks on the album if you allow me to be that blunt...

To be honest....what makes me sad is that several good friends of mine think that Nightwish is an awfully brainless band and you know why? Because the only song they heard, was "Wishmaster"....they say that there's so much wrong and pointless there...the lyrics which are silly regardless whether in the original version or in the parody, Tarja's accent and the guitar solo....they play guitar themselves and say that this is so banal, monotone and ridiculous and even worse because it lasts so long (in the "Fishmonster" video a watch appears to check how long it's lasted so far...)
A teacher from my friends school once also said "Nightwish? Oh, this is the band with the opera singer who sang these meaningless lyrics "Jewish monster" with a horrid accent and with a hell of a long amateur guitar solo in the middle. Oh dear! Who would listen to this crap?"
And they say "Nightwish? Yes I heard Wishmaster...so stupid...they took some opera vocals and added a heavy welding to it..."
I've tried to promote better songs of Nightwish to my friends henceforth and one friend also listens to their other songs and likes them, nevertheless, they find "Wishmaster" a parody song itself....
27.12.2008 - 21:40
Elodie Artour
Slania
I'm not a musician by myself and there's no way I could recognize all these things. However, I do think that Tarja's accent doesn't always sound good, even though I like Scandinavian accents... :
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
27.12.2008 - 22:21
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
As far as the solo, as I agree on one thing: it is too long... but amateurish... it's not hard, but fits the song well, and as far as Tarja's voice, how do they freaking hear the accent with her type of singing. Anyway, that's just a matter of tastes probably.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.12.2008 - 23:12
albatros
Written by Ernis on 27.12.2008 at 10:15

To be honest....what makes me sad is that several good friends of mine think that Nightwish is an awfully brainless band and you know why? Because the only song they heard, was "Wishmaster"....they say that there's so much wrong and pointless there...the lyrics which are silly regardless whether in the original version or in the parody, Tarja's accent and the guitar solo....they play guitar themselves and say that this is so banal, monotone and ridiculous and even worse because it lasts so long (in the "Fishmonster" video a watch appears to check how long it's lasted so far...)
A teacher from my friends school once also said "Nightwish? Oh, this is the band with the opera singer who sang these meaningless lyrics "Jewish monster" with a horrid accent and with a hell of a long amateur guitar solo in the middle. Oh dear! Who would listen to this crap?"
And they say "Nightwish? Yes I heard Wishmaster...so stupid...they took some opera vocals and added a heavy welding to it..."
I've tried to promote better songs of Nightwish to my friends henceforth and one friend also listens to their other songs and likes them, nevertheless, they find "Wishmaster" a parody song itself....

I think, what's going on here is just some arbitrary slaughtering of an established dogma. The dogma is in this case, that old Nightwish with Tarja have been one of the most influential and commercially successful metal acts of this millenium and it seems to me that in the recent episodes of this thread no argument can be too far fetched to refute this dogma.

If you have good friends, that think Nightwish are crap just because of one song, then I can't help but question your choice of friends.

Wishmaster used to be the highlight of many a Nightwish concert in the pre 2003 era, when Nightwish still were a metal band determined to conquer the world with the best female fronted operatic whatever metal on the whole planet, with the only really serious contender being After Forever, who were in awesome shape at the same time, but maybe got one percent of Nightwish's attention.

I think Wishmaster is a power metal song as good as they come, with lyrics that leave room for phantasy and all ingredients of a successful hit. God, did this song function at the Nightwish concerts I saw during that glorious time.

If you think, Anette is a good singer, fine, but I'd really appreciate if venerable songs that obviously have withstood the test of times could be left in peace. Thank you.
27.12.2008 - 23:40
Torelli
Well, albatros has a point there, wishmaster had a great part for Nigtwish to become the successful metal band they are today. I don't care so much about the lyrics, but I do now that this song actually introduced me to Nigtwish (along with metal itself actually). Unfortunaly, I can't feel the same for this song any longer, I've grown more attached to other songs of the wishmaster album than wishmaster itself. Sadly, I find it to be quite a boring song nowdays. Nevertheless, it got me into metal, and it's worth something in my eyes.
28.12.2008 - 08:41
Ernis
狼獾
Written by albatros on 27.12.2008 at 23:12

If you have good friends, that think Nightwish are crap just because of one song, then I can't help but question your choice of friends.

I think Wishmaster is a power metal song as good as they come, with lyrics that leave room for phantasy and all ingredients of a successful hit. God, did this song function at the Nightwish concerts I saw during that glorious time.

If you think, Anette is a good singer, fine, but I'd really appreciate if venerable songs that obviously have withstood the test of times could be left in peace. Thank you.

Yes, "Wishmaster" is a hit, I have never questioned it....I don't personally consider it crappy but it's nothing much compared to some other songs which are a lot more powerful and better...composed by Nightwish or other bands....

Glorious time...Nightwish has always done gloriously well and they still do....

I actually like the way Anette sings old songs....I used to think "Come Cover Me" was always a boring song but when I heard Anette singing it, that song grew on me and now I like to listen to it in Tarja's version as well....

Last but not least.....I don't pick my friends according to their choice of music....I may say that they don't listen to metal that much but they ain't any pop-listeners either (altho I have nothing bad to say about people who listen to pop and rap and stuff...I know people who go to discos and they're nevertheless nice...personality is more important).....a friend of mine who picks on "Wishmaster" has heard other songs and has nothing bad to say bout them....

Written by Torelli on 27.12.2008 at 23:40

Well, albatros has a point there, wishmaster had a great part for Nigtwish to become the successful metal band they are today. I don't care so much about the lyrics, but I do now that this song actually introduced me to Nigtwish (along with metal itself actually). Unfortunaly, I can't feel the same for this song any longer, I've grown more attached to other songs of the wishmaster album than wishmaster itself. Sadly, I find it to be quite a boring song nowdays. Nevertheless, it got me into metal, and it's worth something in my eyes.

Right....as an album, "Wishmaster" is an outstanding work just as all their releases...."Wishmaster" as a song is a hit but it becomes bit monotone after some time....a positive thing is that Anette makes that song more fun...took it out of the refrigerator ,if to say so....and the people like it....
28.12.2008 - 11:54
albatros
Written by Ernis on 28.12.2008 at 08:41

Glorious time...Nightwish has always done gloriously well and they still do....

haha, you didn't miss my little sideswipe.

However my remark may be seen in a wider context. During 1998-2004 a lot of other high quality female fronted operatic/symphonic bands matured to become truely enjoyable acts, such as Within Temptation, Autumn, After Forever, Sengir, Trail Of Tears, Sirenia, Odes of Ecstasy etc who counts them all, who knows the names ... most of them independently and parallel to Nightwish .. therefore I've dubbed those the glorious years.
For me it seems like today we are seeing just a weak afterglow of those years, but I've been reprimanded for this opinion by younger people before.

But your respose was fair enough, man. I just felt it was about high time, that somebody said something nice about "Wishmaster", the song.

I really admire, what Nightwish achieved on a glocal scale with Tarja, but my serious interest in them ended in 2004 with Once coming on the market. In that year I saw my last concert of them and then decided, that for me their story was over.

I'm glad Nightwish are still filling halls. It might motivate other metal bands to try their luck and the current Nighwish audience may also be the future audience of many other and smaller metal bands.
28.12.2008 - 12:12
Ernis
狼獾
Written by albatros on 28.12.2008 at 11:54

During 1998-2004 a lot of other high quality female fronted operatic/symphonic bands matured to become truely enjoyable acts, such as Within Temptation, Autumn, After Forever, Sengir, Trail Of Tears, Sirenia, Odes of Ecstasy etc who counts them all, who knows the names ... most of them independently and parallel to Nightwish .. therefore I've dubbed those the glorious years.
For me it seems like today we are seeing just a weak afterglow of those years, but I've been reprimanded for this opinion by younger people before.

That's a point you've got there.....I myself, do not listen that much to the symphonic acts such as After Forever and Within Temptation or Visions Of Atlantis because although some of them were fresh and innovative once, their original quality is already not the same as before....the style has become tired and repetitive....it takes a very talented group of musicians to be able to create something that still evokes thoughts...I'd like to point out how glad I am because of Epica who have really started flourishing...they have something that for instance After Forever does not...
By the way, I actually don't reprimand for this opinion....
29.12.2008 - 11:19
Coté
I liked Nightwish a lot but since Annete is singing it's just not the same. I know I wrote once that I'd give them a chance but sadly, it didn't work.

I will not through trash on the new nightwish though, I've never believed that doing that kind of thing was good. I'll just express my opinion in a harmless way ;P , I mean, I do respect those who still like them ^^
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
08.01.2009 - 16:04
Abattoir
Staff
Well, I see that lots of Nightwish fans don't like the Annete's vocal too much. Probably some of you were thinking that the replacement of Tarja will be a vocalist with similar operatic voice as Tarja had it if I'm not wrong. In my opinion this is kinda lame excuse, but ok if you don't like you don't.

But I'll say that Annete's (unoperatic) voice sounds pretty good to me and till now she is doing just fine. Of course the whole album sounds quite different as all previous one, but it is just stupid to think that her voice fucked up the whole album.
08.01.2009 - 16:14
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
A very fair judgment, Abbattoir. That's exactly how I feel. With the situation the band found themselves in, I think they did great with that album. It does sound different, but the power and professionalism of Nightwish is still there. It has a lot of great songs, and Annete is doing great too although actually have some old songs, with her singing them.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
17.01.2009 - 19:15
Deathwyrm
Fascinating interview with Annete. While I enjoy her voice and thought that the new album was top notch, the part in the article about her "needing" clothing sponsors struck me as odd. Anyone else read this one?

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=112576
18.01.2009 - 19:04
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Deathwyrm on 17.01.2009 at 19:15

Fascinating interview with Annete. While I enjoy her voice and thought that the new album was top notch, the part in the article about her "needing" clothing sponsors struck me as odd. Anyone else read this one?

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=112576

On the one hand, yeh, sometimes fights and problems clear the air and when solved, things will start working more smoothly....
On the other hand, the Finnish language quote on the cover reads "Now I understand Tarja Turunen better"....well....one never knows...but this attitude (or at least what is seems to be according to this text) sounds uncomfortably familiar....we'll see whether Anette will join the club with Tarja (spitting three times over shoulder....) or they'll continue with the strong cooperation they've done so far....I really hope for the second option....
18.01.2009 - 19:53
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
The fact that Annette has hired herself a manager of her own sounds just a bit too scary. If my memory serves me right, it was the manager, who caused the problems between the guys and Tarja in the first place... I don't wanna see a retake.
----
You'll never walk alone.
19.01.2009 - 01:57
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Fuck this Annette and Tarja shit. I'll sing for Nightwish. No comparison? PROBLEM SOLVED.
19.01.2009 - 14:12
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ernotar on 18.01.2009 at 19:53

The fact that Annette has hired herself a manager of her own sounds just a bit too scary. If my memory serves me right, it was the manager, who caused the problems between the guys and Tarja in the first place... I don't wanna see a retake.

Agree....what was the true case, the manager was in fact Tarja's husband...so far it ain't that scary because I assume that also Marco and Emppu who front their own bands may probably have their own managements and crews behind their backs, nevertheless they are still in charge....I also hope this will help more than mess up the band's work....after all...in Tarja's case she was actually married to the manager and Marcelo subsequently started to control the band too much as we all have heard....so...everything should be all right...as long as Anette hasn't yet gotten married to a possibly evil manager (bad joke...)
20.01.2009 - 23:48
Fhuesc
how ironic, they fled from a money sucking diva to another. I think this is like love relationships, you always end up picking the same type of person.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
21.01.2009 - 15:19
Wytch
Account deleted
Annette Rockzz?Anything else matter?i see so..Lowe =X
12.03.2009 - 20:18
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Did you noticed they played Ghost Love Score!!! yesterday in Brixton ? anyone was there?

final part of GLS filmed here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXcXOpxjwVE&fmt=18
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

12.03.2009 - 21:31
Janne
Hugin
Written by Ellrohir on 12.03.2009 at 20:18

Did you noticed they played Ghost Love Score!!! yesterday in Brixton ? anyone was there?

final part of GLS filmed here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXcXOpxjwVE&fmt=18

I was at a Hungarian Nightwish tribute band (called Nightwuest)'s concert at about 3 weeks ago and they also played GLS!!!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
12.03.2009 - 21:57
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
And was it good? and can this and can be find anywhere on web?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.03.2009 - 18:30
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ellrohir on 12.03.2009 at 20:18

I want to see them very soon....the new setlist seems wondrous! "Ghost Love Score" and "Dead Boy's Poem"....their golden songs...I want to hear them live...aaaaaaaaa