Metal Storm logo
Nightwish

Original post

Posted by Elodie Artour, 09.06.2008 - 16:12
Hey, guys! Don't you think it's high-time someone started a new topic about one of my favourite (and not only mine, actually) bands - Nightwish?

I adore them - both with Tarja and with Anette!

Well, I think there is not much for me to say, as I've already written most of the things I've wanted to.

So, feel free to discuss things, related to the topic 'Nightwish'.

P.S.: No arguing and offensing, please! Long ago, there have been rules added, which are meant to show what's not to do on this forum.
09.05.2009 - 22:57
Zelse
Hah, I might've seen you there. They sold out of all the books, I really wanted to get one.. guess I'll just have to order it. And yea, she did an amazing job with Nemo. First time seeing them, so I can't say anything about Sleeping Sun, haha..
10.05.2009 - 00:45
Janne
Hugin
Has anyone already got the new DVD?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
10.05.2009 - 05:34
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by Ernis on 09.05.2009 at 22:14

Written by Ag Fox on 09.05.2009 at 22:09

Lol... the only instances of me listening to Nightwish in Hong Kong is on the MTR (metro/underground equivilent), so yeah, it loses a lot of the enchanted feel hehe

Not necessarily if you wish and know how to concentrate on music....
Ehh... then I'll miss my stop. You see, I can't multitask >:
----
loves 小巫
10.05.2009 - 09:26
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Arian Totalis on 09.05.2009 at 22:49

Went and saw them for the third time last night. As usual, it was an awsome performance. I think Annette does Nemo just as well as Tarja live. And, unlike the last two times, she DIDN"T do sleeping sun, which is a song that she should never.....ever attempt. lol.

I love Sleeping Sun.....I think Anette puts a lot of herself and her emotions in it....yes, it does make it different from Tarja's interpretation but I love they way she does it....and well....I always preferred Tarja's Oceanborn version of the song....her style of performing it in the 2005 version was not my taste, to be honest....
10.05.2009 - 20:27
Elodie Artour
Slania
I bought "Made In Hong Kong (And In Various Other Places). It's fantastic! The live performances are all good.

As for the documentary...I always enjoy watching such stuff. This one is indeed amusing. It shows both the positive and negative sides of touring. Moreover, Anette explains how different people react on her appearance in Nightwish. Poor Nettan - it's not easy at all to get into the steps of Tarja...
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
11.05.2009 - 16:49
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Zelse on 09.05.2009 at 22:57

Hah, I might've seen you there. They sold out of all the books, I really wanted to get one.. guess I'll just have to order it. And yea, she did an amazing job with Nemo. First time seeing them, so I can't say anything about Sleeping Sun, haha..

Awsome. They were selling books?
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
11.05.2009 - 20:00
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Arian Totalis on 11.05.2009 at 16:49

Yeh, there was one book I saw at their gig in Finland....it was in Finnish so I didn't understand almost anything but the nice selling-books-girl said that the whole book was about Tarja....I imagine...the book covered just the period when Tarja was in the band so I imagine it indeed was memoires about her and for her.....not to mention the photos and photos...most of them of Tarja....
13.05.2009 - 01:38
Zelse
Written by Ernis on 11.05.2009 at 20:00

Written by Arian Totalis on 11.05.2009 at 16:49

Yeh, there was one book I saw at their gig in Finland....it was in Finnish so I didn't understand almost anything but the nice selling-books-girl said that the whole book was about Tarja....I imagine...the book covered just the period when Tarja was in the band so I imagine it indeed was memoires about her and for her.....not to mention the photos and photos...most of them of Tarja....

The one I saw was actually a biography of the band.

http://www.amazon.com/Once-upon-Nightwish-Biography-1996-2006/dp/0979616328/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242167880&sr=8-1
16.05.2009 - 12:20
Italics
I've really tried to get into "Dark Passion Play," but it is difficult for me. There are some great songs on it, but not that many... lacks consistency. I don't know if the music just doesn't sound good without Tarja, or if the music itself has gone down hill. Hmmmm
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
16.05.2009 - 14:17
Janne
Hugin
Written by Italics on 16.05.2009 at 12:20

I've really tried to get into "Dark Passion Play," but it is difficult for me. There are some great songs on it, but not that many... lacks consistency. I don't know if the music just doesn't sound good without Tarja, or if the music itself has gone down hill. Hmmmm

I think neither the music gone downhill nor Tarja's miss is the reason. It's just different from early albums but they had changed a bit after every release.. so maybe it's just not your cup of tea
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
16.05.2009 - 14:53
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
I agree with the lack of consistency, but I think the Poet and the Pendulum & Bye bye beautiful saved it all.
----
loves 小巫
16.05.2009 - 22:55
Italics
Written by Janne on 16.05.2009 at 14:17

Written by Italics on 16.05.2009 at 12:20

I think neither the music gone downhill nor Tarja's miss is the reason. It's just different from early albums but they had changed a bit after every release.. so maybe it's just not your cup of tea

Well I don't HATE the album or anything. As I said, there are some great songs on it, but also many disappointing and boring ones (which just didn't happen on their other releases).
I think it's cool that they're getting more and more orchestrated and "epic," but is it just me or is it beginning to actually make their music less mystic?
On albums like "Oceanborn" they just sounded flat out mystical and magical ("The Riddler," "Gethsemane," etc.), and now - even though they have a bigger sound - I think they've sort of lost that uniqueness that made them so different.
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
16.05.2009 - 23:31
Zelse
I think it's because there really isn't as much of a folk influence to their new stuff (aside from Last of the Wilds, Creek Mary's Blood, etc.) whereas in their early stuff, that kind of mystical, folky music was much more prevalent.
18.05.2009 - 05:56
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
To me, Elvenpath was probably the more mystical tracks. But yeah, I never noticed that until I saw the post

btw, folky =/= mystical imo
----
loves 小巫
20.05.2009 - 12:43
Lachy
Account deleted
Nightwish is my favorite band. I have got all their albums and don't stop listening to them. I can see why they are one of the most popular bands on metalstorm. I would have to say Dark Passion Play was my favorite album closely followed by Once. My favorite songs are Amaranth, Bye Bye Beautiful, Eva, Last of the Wilds, Dark chest of Wonders, Planet Hell, I Wish I Had an Angel, Nemo, Dead Gardens, Romanticide, Over the Hills and Far Away, Dead to the World, Slaying the Dreamer, Elvenpath, Crownless, Gethsemane. Its great to know so many people out there have similar music taste to me because everyone i know can't understand my musical taste. (But i guess i think all their screamo thrash metal is shit too)
14.07.2009 - 02:05
My very best band ever !
17.07.2009 - 23:55
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Never liked Nightwish, but due to all the popularity they gained over the years I took the time and went to see them on Metal Camp, since I was there. Gotta say I was extemely disappointed by their show. As I am familiar with quite a lot of their work due to the fact people keep telling me I should really try them out, I gotta say Anette (hope I spelled that correctly) really doesn't fit in older songs, that Tarja recorded. Listening to End Of The World gave me goose bumps - in a bad way. Technically the sound was good, but I just couldn't notice any energy on stage, some songs that I didn't know before from their latest album seemed so blank to me and I almost fell asleep standing in the middle of the crowd.

I'm not trying to bash them or anything, but I went to see them like ''hey, if they're so great, then the show must be a blast''. Well, I was disappointed there and I didn't even have any high expectations.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
18.07.2009 - 00:11
Piro
They have some very good moments, and also their fair share of "wtf" moments.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
18.07.2009 - 01:41
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
2AnGina--: i was on their show in Prague last year's February and i have completely different experience...and besides i believe you couldnt just visit your not favorite band's gig and then say "whoa, now i am liking them!"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.07.2009 - 01:54
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ellrohir on 18.07.2009 at 01:41

2AnGina--: i was on their show in Prague last year's February and i have completely different experience...and besides i believe you couldnt just visit your not favorite band's gig and then say "whoa, now i am liking them!"

Do they play "End Of All Hope" now? Or did I misunderstand something?
18.07.2009 - 11:28
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
@Ellrohir: I didn't expect them to be the best of course, but I tended to be objective. I could as easily remove myself from the fest area (as I did when Blind Guardian was playing), but I was too intrigued to see them. It's true it was late hour (01:00 AM), but I noticed a major lack in communicating with public (Coming on stage and saying: ''Good night, how are you?''.. erm well, goodbye then I guess?) and that sometimes bothers me, except for Tuomas who was the only one on stage looking as he really enjoys playing at that moment, everyone else seemed so bored. They had good pyrothecnical features along the songs gotta say, I liked that.

@Hobbit Viggo: yea, they played End Of All Hope, my bad, didn't really know the title of the song, I just know it sounded familiar and I know it was from Century Child album.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
19.07.2009 - 20:39
Ernis
狼獾
Written by AnGina-- on 18.07.2009 at 11:28

@Hobbit Viggo: yea, they played End Of All Hope, my bad, didn't really know the title of the song, I just know it sounded familiar and I know it was from Century Child album.

I think it could not have been End Of All Hope...that's a strictly Tarja-age choral song....I think they did Dead To The World that is also from Century Child....
19.07.2009 - 20:59
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
^^Or that. She was unfortunately way off in that song and Wishmaster as well, I just couldn't help noticing that. She did the newer stuff alright then.
----
19.07.2009 - 22:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Its just the matter of prejudices...only song i dont like by Anette is Ghost Love Score...and it is not because of Anette, but because original of this song means so much for me...only prejudices...
----

19.07.2009 - 22:36
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Sorry, but if anyone who sings a certain song doesn't hit the notes as it was suppose to be, it's wrong and it's not a matter of taste.

It's a matter of taste that I simply don't find Nightwish's music enjoyable, but I'm not sure half of MS have noticed, discussing personal tastes and putting them out as the holy truth is just pure shit. We all have something we like and something we don't. But when it comes to flaws in singing or playing an istrument it's not a matter of personal taste anymore.

Even though I never liked Nightwish I found Annette really great when she joined the band cause I know it was hard for her cause a whole bunch of old school NW fans are gonna bash her for not being Tarja and I gotta say the gal had the guts to do it and I admire her for that. I also like her works she's done with Pain on Cynic Paradise. But that doesn't change the fact she failed on a couple of songs I heard by her and NW live.
----
19.07.2009 - 22:39
Torelli
Written by Ellrohir on 19.07.2009 at 22:23

...and it is not because of Anette, but because original of this song means so much for me...

I think that is why so many fans had/have a hard time to accept Anette, the song means too much for them. For that reason, I tend to avoid older songs sunged by Anette, as she simply can't convey the emotion my memory is used to. This doesn't mean that I dislike Anette, I truly enjoy the dark passion play songs and the way she sings it, but the older songs have to much memories connected for me to be able to judge her fairly.
19.07.2009 - 22:46
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by AnGina-- on 19.07.2009 at 22:36

Sorry, but if anyone who sings a certain song doesn't hit the notes as it was suppose to be, it's wrong and it's not a matter of taste.

This makes sense. It's a shame you have to state things that are common sense for people who make bonehead statements. Some people don't really think before they speak/post things.
20.07.2009 - 14:53
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 19.07.2009 at 22:39

Written by Ellrohir on 19.07.2009 at 22:23

...and it is not because of Anette, but because original of this song means so much for me...

I think that is why so many fans had/have a hard time to accept Anette, the song means too much for them. For that reason, I tend to avoid older songs sunged by Anette, as she simply can't convey the emotion my memory is used to. This doesn't mean that I dislike Anette, I truly enjoy the dark passion play songs and the way she sings it, but the older songs have to much memories connected for me to be able to judge her fairly.

I personally adore Anette's GLS....she adds so much to the song....I love Tarja's version as well....for me it's their best song ever written...
20.07.2009 - 16:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by AnGina-- on 19.07.2009 at 22:36

i would hardly discuss if there is someone (excluding band members itself) who can tell how "singing is supposed to be"...if someone wants to, he can create completely disharmonious cacophony and you may say you dont like it, but you cant tell it is "wrong"...and the same is here - if Tuomas as the music composer and rest of the band are satisfied with Anette's performance, it is "right"...thats my point
----

20.07.2009 - 17:30
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Ellrohir on 20.07.2009 at 16:47

i would hardly discuss if there is someone (excluding band members itself) who can tell how "singing is supposed to be"...if someone wants to, he can create completely disharmonious cacophony and you may say you dont like it, but you cant tell it is "wrong"...and the same is here - if Tuomas as the music composer and rest of the band are satisfied with Anette's performance, it is "right"...thats my point

I disagree on two poits there:

1st: When a vocalist doesn't hit the note, he/she doesn't hit the note. It's not a matter of modifiying a certain vocal line to abilities one has, it's a matter of correct singing. If someone's vocal range goes to G, it's pointless to try to sing the high C, cause he/she won't reach it and it comes out as squeeling. Anyone who has rhythm, can hear the flaw. I think it's important for singers to know what they can accomplish with their voice and not try to surpass themselves to fit in the song, because if they can't hit it, they can't. And anyone who hears it can simply say it was off the scale, because it was.

2nd: The band is its own critic when it comes to songwriting, composing, choosing songs for the album and that's it. The rest is up to the listeners. We/you are the crowd and the band is there to perform for us. If they want to impress the listeners, they need to do their best. If they want to just play and sing cause they like it, they can do it in the basement for themselves and don't record any albums or go on tour. We are the listeners, we come to their shows, we buy the albums (I'm speaking generally here) so it is up to us whether we'll be glad with what one band has done and decide if buying the record or seeing the show is worthy.
----