03. Ghost Light
04. Touched By The Mara
05. A Beautiful Death
06. Legacy In A Rhyme
07. Caramon's Poem
08. The Highland
09. Shadow Of The Beast
10. March Through An Endless Rain

Since the beginning of Metal Storm (and the band can confirm it ) we've always been some fervent supporters of Pyramaze and this is not this year that we will start to praise their name. Sure they've hired one of the most fantastic singers of the Heavy Metal scene (Matt belongs in the list of my favorite singers) but I will try to focus on the music of the new album and not only on a name (even if of course we have nothing to say against him one more time!). "Immortal" is a super album of Progressive Power Metal.

Giving the name of Matt Barlow as their new singer, Pyramaze has created the news of the year 2007. Sure it was a big challenge to hire him but they did it and since that date a lot of people, especially the fans of Iced Earth were awaiting the new album of the Danish combo. "Immortal" is out now and I can finally give my opinion about it. If you know the band since its beginning I can tell you that you'll not be disappointed by "Immortal". One more time the album is a lovely release of melodic Progressive Power Metal. The keyboards are again one of the main instruments in the compositions but this time the riffs are even more powerful than in the past. I won't compare it to Iced Earth but "Immortal" is now a lot more in the category of the US Power Metal releases than in the European category. The people who use to read my reviews know that I'm always praising US Power and then I will have to praise the new Pyramaze, that's just logical! The songs featured on the album all have great catchy melodies but one more time this is the big riffs and the little progressive sides produced by the keyboards which are the most interesting plus of course, the performance of Matt Barlow?

I suppose that a lot of you were wondering if it was a good idea for Matt Barlow to join the team of Pyramaze. Don't worry for him, first he is still a great singer and his performance on the album is perfect but also I just think that his voice fits perfectly to the music of Pyramaze. On a side, Matt gives power and energy to Pyramaze, and on the other side Pyramaze gives something new, complex (the Prog aspect) and different to the American singer. It's a bit like if we had a perfect exchange on this album, both entities push each other to the top level of Metal. If you add that the production of the album is perfect and that "Immortal" with songs likes "Ghost Light" or "Year Of The Phoenix" probably features the best composition of the Danish combo I suppose that you understand that this release is simply their best and you won't have the right to miss it.

Now that Matt Barlow is back with Iced Earth, I hope that Pyramaze will still find a way to collaborate with him in the future. Sure it won't be easy maybe for the shows but it would be sad if the band doesn't find a way to release other albums with Matt. Also I really think that it could be a good way for him to do something different, but that's just my opinion of course. In the end I just want to say that the new Pyramaze is all but deceiving! "Immortal" is a really good album of melodic and Progressive Power Metal which will be enjoyed by all the old fans of the combo like all the ones who like Matt Barlow's voice. Thumb up to Pyramaze which has released a really good new album and confirm all the good things that we think about them on Metal Storm.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 09.06.2008

Guest review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
If I should take one risk while writing this review, say by calling Immortal one of the most unimaginative albums I've ever heard, I will have stepped into a world that seemingly eluded the members of Pyramaze during the recording process. Of course, if I were to say such a thing, I would have to defend my statement, and surely I would discover the abundance of redeeming qualities upon further listening.

Read more ››
published 22.02.2010 | Comments (10)

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 358 users
09.06.2008 - 18:46
stratorock666

Personally id rate the album as a 9;0. no bad songs whatsoever, brilliant performances all around, great review though.
09.06.2008 - 19:25
Talvi

"Giving the name of Matt Barlow as their new singer, Pyramaze has created the news of the year 2007."

Shouldn't it be 2008?
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
09.06.2008 - 19:42
stratorock666

i think he means that the news of mat being their new singer was announced in 2007
10.06.2008 - 17:04
Rating: 5
Metal Maiden
Megadead
With all my respect for Matt, I really don't think this album can be compared to their two previous releases...I am a HUGE fan of Pyramaze, but quite frankly, I don't think Matt's voice is suitable for them...Lance King did much better, handling the vocals, and it's a real shame he left, I really liked him...
Still, I hope they find a new singer soon, it'll be interesting to hear someone else sing Matt's parts live...
10.06.2008 - 19:58
Rating: 9
Rusher

Although I prefer Pyramaze with Lance King, this new album, with Barlow singing, is something I can't describe!
I know we just reached half of the year but, damn, this is a serious contender for "AOTY"!!!

11.06.2008 - 01:08
Oracle
Orcinus
I wasnt too impressed with Melancholy Beast, but its the only Pyramaze album im heard, i would like to get hold of this new one, mainly because of Barlow, but still, sounds great.
11.06.2008 - 01:27
Rating: 8
Promonex
Cathemeral
"Caramon's Poem" might just be Pyramaze's best composition ever. And "Highland" their worst as it sounds far too cheesy to fit with Matt's voice. Overall I still prefer "Legend of the Bone Carver" over this. Very good album nonetheless.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
11.06.2008 - 02:53
DreamWeaver

Written by Metal Maiden on 10.06.2008 at 17:04

With all my respect for Matt, I really don't think this album can be compared to their two previous releases...I am a HUGE fan of Pyramaze, but quite frankly, I don't think Matt's voice is suitable for them...Lance King did much better, handling the vocals, and it's a real shame he left, I really liked him...
Still, I hope they find a new singer soon, it'll be interesting to hear someone else sing Matt's parts live...

Agree completly with you. Although I love Matt's vocals, I think Pyramaze did better with Lance King. Great album nonetheless.
----
11.06.2008 - 14:15
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Didn't find this album very special although I must admit I like Matt's vocals. I used not to like them on "Burnt Offerings," but on this album they fit the music really well. Need to give it a few more listens to compare to "Legend of the Bone Carver." The first impression: 8.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
18.06.2008 - 10:31
Opium
Account deleted
Another one to grab when I can, pretty ordinary review though, as much as you try to make the album appear as something special, ah well.
18.06.2008 - 17:32
Hamird
Lieutenant
Great review. after reading this review I listened to some of the songs on the album, and they were good and it has worth of getting the album.
14.10.2008 - 22:44
Rating: 6
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Yes, Jeff, I had noticed early on my membership here at MS that Pyramaze was a name that came up more than other bands. With only their first album out, I really didn't understand the praise, though I liked their potential... then "Legend..." came out and I fully understood, the band was great and I played that album over and over for months!

But, the addition of Matt to me was only a downer, and after trying hard over the past few months to enjoy this new CD, I just cannot. I find it average, sometimes boring, and only in a few tracks, interesting. It was cool that the band adapted to Matt's style and changed their sound, however, to me, the changes made the band generic and without the unique sound on their "Legend..." album. I'm glad Matt's time in the band was very short - and I hope the band resumes their path on unique music and less of an adaptation to someone else's style...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
20.11.2008 - 11:39
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Matt is not the style of pyramaze melodic power progressive metal but well he pull it off
.. oh yes he did
----
Stay Metal !!!
16.12.2008 - 21:56
GT
Coffee!!
Wonder why I haven't commented this review already. The album is great. Caramon's Poem is just an amazing track...as Promo said maybe their best yet
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
24.02.2009 - 21:58
Metalmattxxx
Account deleted
THIS ALBUM IS FAR BETTER THAN THE NEW I.E. ALBUM !!! TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT PYRAMAZE !!

Hits total: 10609 | This month: 10