Album: Antilia
Style: Heavy metal
Release date: February 2002

01. Septem Aquae
02. Everlasting Delicacy
03. Watery Portrait
04. Till Daylight Comes
05. Sustained In The Nebula

In Peccatum is one of those nice surprises that the world has to offer, and a nice collectors item for those who like to have Heavy Metal Cd's from not-so-common Metal locations. I say this because In Peccatum are hailing from Azores, the Portuguese archipelago in the middle of the Atlantic ocean.

In Peccatum plays a very catchy kind of melodic Doom Metal, with growly vocals and classical elements, the music is not slow like most kind of Doom, and even that there a couple of fast paced tracks, the spirit of the music remain very emotional.

This Mcd, which is based on the Azorean myths of Sete Cidades, contains 5 tracks, 5 romantic and dismal songs, the small intro "Septem Aquae" is a nice classical string trio of viola, violin & cello which leaved an strong impression upon my first listen, then the first song begins, "Everlasting Delicacy" a song so varied, that goes from mid-paced to rapid riffs and catchy hooks, some female vocals and Gothic elements can be discovered too.

"Watery Portrait" begins with a guitar solo, a thing not so common on Doom/Gothic Metal, after the first part, the song becomes an emotional and tragic song, that derives into the last song, "Till Daylight Comes" the gloomiest song of the record, the piano gives the song a incredible atmosphere, the mini album ends with a short acoustic outro.

Surely an excellent release that I'm afraid it will go unnoticed by the media, hopefully when In Peccatum releases a full-length we'll see them with an appropriate record deal, because they surely deserve one.
Either you get this for the rarity value or for the emotional music it contains, it's worth the effort.

Written by Undercraft | 13.04.2004

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 8 users
12.06.2008 - 02:03
Mr.Wilson

Very Nice review, i'm from Azores, this archipelago you mentioned, And i can truly say that in peccatum are a very respected band here, their music is absolutly stuning, and they trully deserve the attention of the world, this Mcd is a perfect prove of it, they are about to release a new mcd so stay tuned...:)
----
"..Damned in any Language..."

Hits total: 2780 | This month: 3