02. The Metal Age
03. HammerFall
04. I Believe
05. Child Of The Damned [Warlord cover]
06. Steel Meets Steel
07. Stone Cold
08. Unchained
09. Glory To The Brave
10. Ravenlord [Stormwitch cover] [deluxe edition bonus] [20-year anniversary edition bonus]
11. Glory To The Brave [Radio Edit] [20-year anniversary edition bonus]

Disc II [20-Year Anniversary Edition] [CD bonus]
01. The Metal Age [Live 1998]
02. Steel Meets Steel [Live 1998]
03. Stone Cold [Live 1998]
04. Glory To The Brave [Live 2012]
05. Hammerfall [Live 2012]
06. The Dragon Lies Bleeding [Live 2012]
07. Glory To The Brave Medley

Disc III [20-Year Anniversary Edition] [DVD bonus]
[The First Crusade]
01. Introduction
02. Steel Meets Steel - First Live Show
03. Glory To The Brave - Clip 1
04. HammerFall
05. Steel Meets Steel [live]
06. Glory To The Brave - Clip 2
07. The Making Of "Glory To The Brave"
08. Ravenlord [Stormwitch cover] [live]
09. The Metal Age [live]
10. Nominated For The Swedish Grammy Award
11. Stone Cold [live]
[Interview 2017]
12. Chapter I: The Early Days
13. Chapter II: The Rockslaget Festival
14. Chapter III: The Album
15. Chapter IV: New Members, Wacken & Touring
[Live: Dynamo Festival 1998]
16. Child Of The Damned [live]
17. The Metal Age [live]
18. Steel Meets Steel [live]
19. Eternal Dark [Picture cover] [live]
20. The Dragon Lies Bleeding [live]
21. Stone Cold [live]
22. HammerFall [live]

It actually bothers me a lot that this album is considered not only good but also a classic by a lot of power metal fans. It might have been influent, although I don't really want to believe that, but it sure isn't good. I have never really liked Hammerfall - nowadays they are very good at writing catchy songs even if they're often quite boring, but on 'Glory To The Brave' the attempt to be catchy fails quite hard.

Song structures, riffs and solos aren't way to bad for a début at all, but that doesn't help very much when the most of the songs lacks good melodies, good vocals, good lyrics and catchy hooks. There you've got another problem with this album - I really can't stand the vocals, mainly because the Swedish accent bothers me, but I don't think Cans sings very good either. He is quite whiny and nasal, and if a power metal singer wants to try a more falsetto based style instead of the more 'manly' alternative, he really needs to do better than Cans to impress me. The lyrics are also quite stupid and 'I Believe' could be one of the worst ballad attempts that I have heard. 'Glory To The Brave' isn't totally despisable though, the opener is not bad at all and 'Child Of The Damned' remains one of my favourite Hammerfall songs.

Luckily enough - as I mentioned, Hammerfall evolved to a, if not good at least very professional metal band and Cans turned out to become a really good singer. I wouldn't recommend this album to anyone, except for a fan that has heard all their other albums (or maybe to someone who finds it for 5$, the better songs might be worth that). 'Glory To The Brave' slightly reaches the OK level on my rating scale.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written by Spyroid | 13.06.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 188 users
14.06.2008 - 14:13
wrathchild

Well, to me, this clearly is Hammerfall's best effort ever. Yet I agree, it's not a very good album at all.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
14.06.2008 - 15:28
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I do find them boring. I can't even remember the album now although I listened to it not so long ago...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
14.06.2008 - 15:41
Rating: 5
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by wrathchild on 14.06.2008 at 14:13

Well, to me, this clearly is Hammerfall's best effort ever. Yet I agree, it's not a very good album at all.

I claim that most of the members are very professional (today), but well, that's not enough. Justin Timberlake could also be called professional... anyway, I prefer to listen to their newer stuff because of that reason. I was waiting to get bashed for this review but it doesn't seem so
14.06.2008 - 18:46
FOOCK Nam

One of the first metal album I encountered. I love best the last song Glory To The Brave and the first one.
27.11.2010 - 16:12
Luneth
Account deleted
It is quite a boring generic album...I've never particularly understand the 'Hammerfall hype' personally.
22.01.2011 - 05:21
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I personally like this album. There is nothing really special or unique about it, but everything is just right. I consider it a classic because this is pretty much traditional power metal very well played (although not very imaginative). My personal rating is a 6.5 or 7 (average music well performed).
----
22.01.2011 - 21:49
RavenKing

I think this is the best Hammerfall album. But I find the band so forgettable and their recent material so horrible, it doesn't mean much.
Of course, it is not original at all. Hammerfal has never been about originality. But at least it was decent Powermetal back then.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
16.02.2011 - 00:44
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
"Song structures, riffs and solos aren't way to bad for a début at all, but that doesn't help very much when the most of the songs lacks good melodies, good vocals, good lyrics and catchy hooks."

You nailed it, absolutely nailed it. I agree 100%. However, "Stone Cold" is a pretty good song, nothing brilliant, but certainly much better than the rest of the album, though it too suffers from a very lame chorus.
16.02.2011 - 13:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
"Glory To The Brave" song is great anyway
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.01.2012 - 03:33
Mountain King
K i K o
Not the best album but the 2 ballads "I Believe" & "Glory To The Brave" are really good...
05.06.2012 - 18:13
Rating: 8
Infernal Eternal

I think it's quite a good album, but not the best HF has to offer.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
19.07.2012 - 10:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I will never forgive Niklas Sundin, Mikael Stanne and jesper Strömblad for forming this band together with Oscar Dronjak
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.07.2012 - 11:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2012 at 10:52

I will never forgive Niklas Sundin, Mikael Stanne and jesper Strömblad for forming this band together with Oscar Dronjak

Holy crap! I... I did not know that. I feel weird now. All of them playing melodic death metal, what the hell happened in 1993... What were they thinking?!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.07.2012 - 12:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.07.2012 at 11:57

Holy crap! I... I did not know that. I feel weird now. All of them playing melodic death metal, what the hell happened in 1993... What were they thinking?!

to make it even worse Johan Larsson was also part of the very first line-up of the band.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.07.2012 - 01:01
RavenKing

Quite a difference between this and Ceremonial Oath.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
01.08.2012 - 20:34
Rating: 9
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2012 at 12:27

Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.07.2012 at 11:57

to make it even worse Johan Larsson was also part of the very first line-up of the band.

By all indications I think that the band (which was probably not even known as "Hammerfall" back then) either started out as a Gothenburg-metal band, or was basically a joke of some sort, like "hey dudes, let's get drunk and try to play Helloween mixed with Manowar and see what happens".
25.10.2013 - 14:44
Rating: 8
Supernaut

Well, with no originality they can never do more than a 9, and with this ballsless and faceless vocalist they can never do more than an 8, but this one at least is an 8. Great closer! A good thing they used all their good songs, don't bother with the followup.
03.05.2017 - 00:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by wrathchild on 14.06.2008 at 14:13

There is dilemma and irony, I agree its not good but best band album ever, because in some way band delivered good album, others just few good songs and weeker album
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.05.2017 - 01:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Swedish accent where I don't hear it , but I agree Cans don't sing well... but well maybe its magic of this album?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 7341 | This month: 3