Metal Storm logo
Metal locations

Original post

Posted by Ivan, 17.06.2008 - 16:47
http://www.metalstorm.ee/events/locations.php

Metal locations is the list of all metal-related places: clubs, venues, shops, cafes and whatever else. You can add and edit locations yourself - and in fact we strongly encourage you to do so, since we can't possibly add locations from all around the world. And as usual, if you find any bugs or have any suggestions, post them here.

Hopefully you'll find this feature useful. Have fun with the integrated Google maps
20.06.2008 - 23:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Dane Train on 20.06.2008 at 23:23

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.06.2008 at 22:52

I love the Google Map/Google Earth feature so you can see where the location actually is and plan your trip

I might just have to make a road trip just to see all of these places.

Anyway, not sure if this is a bug or not, but only "venue / club" and "restaurant / cafe" show up on the map.

Dunno, could have to do with Google, but better ask Ivan.
If it's not a bug make your ministry a club or restaurant/café
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.06.2008 - 23:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Metal Militia - even I saw and read and look at pics from USA metal venius, if I can figure out it why you cant?

BTW you was that anti american poster in forums?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.06.2008 - 09:10
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
gooogle maps is insane. the street by street maps can get kinda freaky.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
21.06.2008 - 10:50
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Written by Dane Train on 20.06.2008 at 20:59

Written by GT on 20.06.2008 at 18:43

Written by Dane Train on 20.06.2008 at 18:27

What would constitute the "other" category?

Your Ministry I would say...other than that no idea

Yeah, that is what I submitted. I hope it was appropriate.

Actually I changed it to other before accepting it and yes adding it is appropriate...it has something to do with metal and therefore belongs there no matter if people in here doesn't like Christianity
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.06.2008 - 10:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by GT on 21.06.2008 at 10:50

]
Actually I changed it to other before accepting it and yes adding it is appropriate...it has something to do with metal and therefore belongs there no matter if people in here doesn't like Christianity

what it means it was about me?
----

apos;'
[image]
21.06.2008 - 10:53
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Written by Bad English on 21.06.2008 at 10:52

No it was not about you...it was meant for Dane Train. He submitted his Ministry and was wondering if it was ok and I just told him it was.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.06.2008 - 11:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by GT on 21.06.2008 at 10:53

Written by Bad English on 21.06.2008 at 10:52

No it was not about you...it was meant for Dane Train. He submitted his Ministry and was wondering if it was ok and I just told him it was.

I see
----

apos;'
[image]
27.06.2008 - 22:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by LeChron James on 21.06.2008 at 09:10

Yeah, there insanely off a lot of times though. And sometimes they dont update the maps too often. Like I know one store I found on there actually moved locations like 2 years ago. And the store I work at was 14 blocks off what google maps showed.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.06.2008 - 23:10
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Doc G. on 27.06.2008 at 22:22

Written by LeChron James on 21.06.2008 at 09:10

Yeah, there insanely off a lot of times though. And sometimes they dont update the maps too often. Like I know one store I found on there actually moved locations like 2 years ago. And the store I work at was 14 blocks off what google maps showed.

yeah ive had that happen to a friend of mine. there was an old car in his backyard ages ago (4 years) when i knew him before i moved and when we looked at his house, the car was still there and it had been gone for at least 2 years. and thats hella funny that your place of work was 14 blocks off.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.06.2008 - 17:42
Sunioj
Israel doesn't even have street by streets.

The location I upped looks like its in the middle of the desert, LOL.
30.06.2008 - 04:11
Evican
Ann O'War
I added a few locations in Sydney. Just waiting for them to be approved.

Definitely going to give good old Oz a fair few locations.
05.07.2008 - 22:12
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Here is a question for the staff: Why is Lake Bodom a loctaion on the map? I know it is what Children of Bodom are named after. But what does this lake have to do with Metal? I mean if we have this on the map we should also have movie house in Monterey, California that Dream Theater is named after, right?
----
(space for rent)
06.07.2008 - 12:01
Ivor
Staff
staff
As far as I'm concerned, Lake Bodom is as good a location as Morrison's grave in Paris or Abbey Road in London. Or the movie house in Monterey. It's a piece of curious trivia. It's quite another matter if such places are actually worth seeing but for curious traveller it might be worth something.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
06.07.2008 - 12:10
Ivan
Retired Admin
elite
Written by Ivor on 06.07.2008 at 12:01

As far as I'm concerned, Lake Bodom is as good a location as Morrison's grave in Paris or Abbey Road in London. Or the movie house in Monterey. It's a piece of curious trivia. It's quite another matter if such places are actually worth seeing but for curious traveller it might be worth something.

I.

I have exactly the same thoughts on this. Definitely don't mind it being there.
06.07.2008 - 15:49
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Ivor on 06.07.2008 at 12:01

I.

OK, that works for me. I just didn't know what the criteria was for putting some place like that on the map. My concern was that the Alamo would be put on because Ozzy pissed on it, or the statium that fans wreched after the Metallica/G n R show. But you guys are in charge and I place my faith in you all to keep making this place awesome. (wow, that last sentence sounded like I was really sucking up)
----
(space for rent)
06.07.2008 - 18:48
Warman
Erotic Stains
I think places like the Bodom lake and the Dream Theater... theater, are places worth being there. Out of my own perspective as a Metalhead these are locations I'd gladly visit.
----
07.07.2008 - 05:08
Fhuesc
Frankly i think that Lake Bodom shouldn't be a metal location, neither Dream Theater. Yes two important bands took their names from those places, but that doesn't make those places a metal location.

If you want to see a lake, i think lake victoria or the great lakes are more interesting than a mere lake on Finland.

Maybe im overreacting but i hate fanboyism, and this is, without a doubt, a clear example of it.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
07.07.2008 - 11:58
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
Written by Fhuesc on 07.07.2008 at 05:08

Frankly i think that Lake Bodom shouldn't be a metal location, neither Dream Theater. Yes two important bands took their names from those places, but that doesn't make those places a metal location.

Lake Bodom is to metalheads/fans of Children Of Bodom, as what the small village of Corleone is to people interested in Mafia and fans of the movie trilogy "The Godfather". There is probably absolutely nothing to see there, but it is to the mystic name and the specific meaning of the location where the great value of the place is attached.

Adding Lake Bodom to the metal locations is not a matter of fanboyism. See it rather as a piece of interesting metal trivia. See it as just another touristic location, but this time for metalheads in specific. Besides, who cares anyway? As I said, there is probably nothing to do there, as it's just a stupid lake. Take a picture in your favourite metal t-shirt with the lake on the background, entitle the picture "I survived Lake Bodom" or "Tourists Of Bodom", and move on.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
09.07.2008 - 22:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Thryce on 07.07.2008 at 11:58

Written by Fhuesc on 07.07.2008 at 05:08

Lake Bodom is to metalheads/fans of Children Of Bodom, as what the small village of Corleone is to people interested in Mafia and fans of the movie trilogy "The Godfather". There is probably absolutely nothing to see there, but it is to the mystic name and the specific meaning of the location where the great value of the place is attached.

Adding Lake Bodom to the metal locations is not a matter of fanboyism. See it rather as a piece of interesting metal trivia. See it as just another touristic location, but this time for metalheads in specific. Besides, who cares anyway? As I said, there is probably nothing to do there, as it's just a stupid lake. Take a picture in your favourite metal t-shirt with the lake on the background, entitle the picture "I survived Lake Bodom" or "Tourists Of Bodom", and move on.

I dont see what the big problem is, dont like it? Dont look at it. Theres nothing misleading about it, its obviously associated with CoB, so its obviously for there fans to look at, or perhaps a die hard fan could venture there someday so they could say theyve been to lake bodom. For God sakes, every time theres a great new addition like this people need to find a reason to bitch and moan.

EDIT: Someone should throw Wacken on there for good measure.
----
- George Carlin
10.07.2008 - 15:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Doc G. on 09.07.2008 at 22:46

If we start doing that we should also chuck in Dynamo Open Air's locations before Wacken started, cause Wacken got its idea from that festival. Or include Monsters of Rock at Castle Donington as well and all the locations for current festivals.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.07.2008 - 17:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2008 at 15:56

Written by Doc G. on 09.07.2008 at 22:46

If we start doing that we should also chuck in Dynamo Open Air's locations before Wacken started, cause Wacken got its idea from that festival. Or include Monsters of Rock at Castle Donington as well and all the locations for current festivals.

Those are classics, but Wacken isnt
----

apos;'
[image]
10.07.2008 - 20:16
Baz Anderson
staff
Indeed, the metal locations was first intended for metal bars, clubs and venues, etc. So there is nothing wrong with adding the festival grounds for each of the festivals around the world - they are venues after all, just big ones!
11.07.2008 - 01:51
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I added a place from where I live, metal Hedz. It's a Mediocre metal music store, with decent paraphanalia and an overall good selection of CD's. There could be a great amount of improvement, but it's a mom and pop place, and it's also a really friendly environment, though the store owners really don't know as much about metal as they lead to believe. For such a town as Granite city though, metal hedz is an okay place to have.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
21.07.2008 - 00:12
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Can I add Brokeback Mountain to the Metal Locations list?
21.07.2008 - 00:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dangerboner on 21.07.2008 at 00:12

Can I add Brokeback Mountain to the Metal Locations list?

what hepened there?
----

apos;'
[image]
21.07.2008 - 01:02
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Two brutal grindcore dudes found true love and wrote songs about spooning.
21.07.2008 - 12:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Dangerboner on 21.07.2008 at 01:02

----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.07.2008 - 15:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
HAHAHA! Best ever!
----
22.07.2008 - 20:01
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff

Actually a good portion of that movie was filmed in a nice hiking spot near me (like a 40 min drive), except the mountain is called Moose Mountain, not broke ass mountain.
----
- George Carlin
27.07.2008 - 22:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 22.07.2008 at 20:01

Actually a good portion of that movie was filmed in a nice hiking spot near me (like a 40 min drive), except the mountain is called Moose Mountain, not broke ass mountain.

well.. good thing it isn't called "Blumkin Mountain"