Metal Storm logo
Tips for the European Backpacker

23.06.2008 - 17:14
Buggy
Account deleted
Hi everyone,

In but a few short weeks, I will hit the road for a 1-month interrail trip through Europe.
Booked a flight to Barcellona for the 3rd of July, I'm gonna visit that city for a few days, get my rail ticket there and start the adventure. I'm planning on heading south to Valencia, then north to the Basque Country all the way up to Mont St. Michel in Normandy, then I'll look for a ferry somewhere along the coast (or get a channel train) and eventually get to Ireland and the Aran islands. From there, I should be able to get back to the mainland via a ferry to Amsterdam, and after spending whatever meager coin I have left on drugs, sex and rock'n roll there, crawl my way back home to Trieste in northeast Italy, visiting whatever interesting places I stumble upon along the way.

Now, reading this you might get the impression that I have it all sorted out, but one quick look at the map and it becomes obvious that this is just a skeleton of a route, the gaps in between are enormous, and after all I might end up replacing some of the locations I have listed or even take a different route alltogether... After all, this is the beauty of the interrail: being able to roam wherever the winds take you for 30 days (within the borders of Europe, of course).
With that being said, this will be the first time I visit most of those countries and my knowledge about worthwile destinations is scarce at best, leaving me somewhat confused by such a boundless scope of oportunities, not much unlike a child stumbling onto way more lollies than he could possibly eat or carry home...

So, people of Metalstorm, this is where you come into play! Seeing how we have folks from so many different places on this board, I thought this might be the perfect place to share your knowledge about places worth seeing and experiencing, wether they be small towns, natural landscapes, major cities, hystorical places, countryside, anything. I would of course prefer places somewhere along the route I described, but if you think you have an amazing suggestion do not hesitate to write it down, my schedule is quite flexible anyway. Just remember that I'm looking for low-budget travel and accomodation...

Eventually, this thread might become a Ms travel guide where people can share experiences of their travels, give suggestions and ask questions about them.
24.06.2008 - 05:38
Fhuesc

My recommendation it's simple, go to that pizza place on Lyon and don't get up in an elevator full of Frenches, i have nothing against them but one time i almost die suffocated.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
24.06.2008 - 14:11
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
I have a question about this rail ticket. Is there to buy a ticket that is worth for trains all over Europe for about 15-20 days? My friend and I are also planing a Euro trip this summer so any information would be helpfull.

Buggy: When in Barcelona try to visit Hard Rock cafe, it is a great place to relax, and also go to mount Montjuic where you can see entire city, a beautiful sightseeing.
24.06.2008 - 15:11
Buggy
Account deleted
Hey knightrider, check this http://www.interrailnet.com/?gclid=CICfrJ2HjZQCFQkNuwodRGvWeA

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking up the cafe and Montjuic right now!
24.06.2008 - 15:58
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
Thanks for the link Buggy, it´s been very useful.
24.06.2008 - 23:16
Aylee_Bodom
¬¬
Well, while in Barcelona, I would suggest visiting the gothic district (Barrio Gótico), the Marina district (where most of the metal pubs and shops are). Recommended metal pub: BB+ (pronounced /bebe'mas/). "Laberint d'Horta" is a wonderful park you shouldn't miss. Here you can check the timetables and a bit of its history.

Hope you enjoy your trip
----
*All Blood Runs The Same*
25.06.2008 - 00:04
Uller

Tuna fish, lots of tuna, it can save your life, trust me
----
25.06.2008 - 00:32
Buggy
Account deleted
@Aylee: the Labyrinth park sounds like it might be a really fascinating place, I'll definately check it out while I'm in Barcellona... are you from that city?

@Uller: I know man, getting ready to survive on tuna cans for a month here...
25.06.2008 - 01:25
Aylee_Bodom
¬¬
@ Buggy: No, sadly I'm not from there But I have friends from there who are always telling me to go and visit those places, so if I had the opportunity, I'd certainly go!
----
*All Blood Runs The Same*
25.06.2008 - 01:39
Duy Hung
Account deleted
So any recommendations on where to go in Paris? (well, except for the most famous like Louvre or Eiffel and such places). i'm going to France on 8th of July, staying there for about a week and then heading to Netherlands and Belgium ( oh and if possible can someone talk about these two as well? ). Thanks
25.06.2008 - 13:29
Buggy
Account deleted
hey, I thought about visiting Paris during my trip aswell since I've never been there, but I figured it would be too crowded and expensive during the summer...
25.06.2008 - 15:05
Duy Hung
Account deleted
well i've got some cousins in Paris, probably i will stay with them there so i won't have to worry too much about accommodation, fortunately. And crowded, yeah i think it would be, but i don't really mind about that