Metal Storm logo
Cryptopsy

Original post

Posted by LethargyMan, 23.06.2006 - 05:18
I'm suprised this hasn't been made yet...

Founded in 1988, Cryptopsy grew to become one of today's biggest leaders in today's technical death metal scene. Their singer, Lord Worm, is certainly one of the most notable aspects of the band, whose voice sounds almost strained, yet still powerful. Cryptopsy's music is very fast and aggressive, made stronger by their liberal use of time-changes and the intense drumming of Flo Mounier, who gives all of their songs a very prevalent percussive feel. This lineup released two albums, Blasphemy Made Flesh and their groundbreaking album None so Vile.

After 1996, Lord Worm left the band for his own ambitions as a teacher, and was replaced by Mike DiSalvo. His vocal style was very different from that of his predecessor, taking on a more -core style. His first album as singer was Whisper Supremacy. While many people were turned off by this dramatic change, DiSalvo was indeed a very aggressive vocalist. After the release of the band's fourth album, And then You'll Beg... DiSalvo quit in 2001 to pursue a family life.

After a brief stint with Martain Lacroix as vocals (who can be heard on the album None so Live), Lord Worm finally returned as lead singer on Cryptopsy's latest album, Once was Not. The band is now touring Europe to promote the album.

The first Cryptopsy album I heard was And then You'll Beg, and I loved it, so I suppose I like DiSalvo a bit more than some other Cryptopsy fans... of course, I now prefer Lord Worm.

Any other fans?
12.11.2008 - 06:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Dangerboner on 07.07.2008 at 02:51

hahahahahahahahaahah some fan made a response to the It's Dinner Time thing by making a video

It's awesome xD

"I told you not to play keyboards for him" LOLOL EPIC WIN

Bahaha "I will be knwon as the greatest song writer since Joey Jordison".... whoever made that vid is a genius.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.02.2009 - 16:09
Written by Demigodc on 12.11.2008 at 04:45

Written by mentalslaughter on 29.10.2008 at 09:48

I couldn't agree more, and the way Flo is making fun of the old Cryptopsy fans just pisses me off, he says we are close minded what an asshole.

Right , with the amount of bullshit he's belted out against his core fan following has made me lose all the respect I had for him
03.02.2009 - 11:51
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Am I glad I decided to pop into this thread, eventhough I don't care about Cryptospy... that video is hilarious.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
07.02.2009 - 19:38
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by mentalslaughter on 02.02.2009 at 16:09

Written by Demigodc on 12.11.2008 at 04:45

Written by mentalslaughter on 29.10.2008 at 09:48

I couldn't agree more, and the way Flo is making fun of the old Cryptopsy fans just pisses me off, he says we are close minded what an asshole.

Right , with the amount of bullshit he's belted out against his core fan following has made me lose all the respect I had for him

Nice Video LOLLLL haha Omg

It is so sad... I always liked Cryptopsy ! and now Flo's being a dyke
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.05.2009 - 09:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
What ever happened to the lady keyboardist that was in the band?
----
- George Carlin
02.05.2009 - 09:41
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I'm pretty sure that Maggie left because of the conniption she made within the Cryptopsy fan base while being in the band...she saw the backlash she created while being in the band and made herself disappear haha...
02.05.2009 - 09:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Guest on 02.05.2009 at 09:41

I'm pretty sure that Maggie left because of the conniption she made within the Cryptopsy fan base while being in the band...she saw the backlash she created while being in the band and made herself disappear haha...

Wouldn't surprise me. Did she even participate on the album?
----
- George Carlin
02.05.2009 - 09:53
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 02.05.2009 at 09:50

Written by Guest on 02.05.2009 at 09:41

Wouldn't surprise me. Did she even participate on the album?

She is credited with being a member on The Unspoken King
23.09.2009 - 18:44
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Great bands, well their first two releases
14.10.2009 - 07:56
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Ok cryptopsy, time to get better
02.07.2010 - 19:40
sasquatch
Does anyone think cryptopsy will actually be better this time around? (apparently they are working on a new album)
02.07.2010 - 21:00
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by sasquatch on 02.07.2010 at 19:40

Does anyone think cryptopsy will actually be better this time around? (apparently they are working on a new album)

Considering the backlash against the last album, they probably will.
03.07.2010 - 16:16
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 02.07.2010 at 21:00

Written by sasquatch on 02.07.2010 at 19:40

Considering the backlash against the last album, they probably will.

Yeah, but probably not by too much. We'll see though.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
05.07.2010 - 05:20
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Cryptopsy will continue to suck until they bring back Maggie Durand
12.07.2010 - 08:20
invoker222
Is there new album?
12.07.2010 - 10:12
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I heard they're recording three new songs for an EP, and they will include those horrible clean vocals :/

The Cryptopsy forum has more info
12.07.2010 - 18:47
Got Mayhem?
Blegh, not interested then. Amazing how far a band can fall.
----
12.07.2010 - 19:34
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Got Mayhem? on 12.07.2010 at 18:47

the whole line-up has changed, its a totally different band now ... what would you expect ?
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
12.07.2010 - 19:46
Got Mayhem?
Written by Zombie on 12.07.2010 at 19:34

Written by Got Mayhem? on 12.07.2010 at 18:47

the whole line-up has changed, its a totally different band now ... what would you expect ?

The whole lineup hasn't completely changed, Flo has been in the band since it formed and their current bassist has been on since None So Vile. It's basically just the new vocalist and guitarist that's doing them in.
----
12.07.2010 - 20:38
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Well, the drumming and bass line in cryptopsy's new albums isn't bad.. but that can't fix the shit the new guitarist and vocalist have brought on.
----

12.07.2010 - 22:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Zombie on 12.07.2010 at 20:38

Well, the drumming and bass line in cryptopsy's new albums isn't bad.. but that can't fix the shit the new guitarist and vocalist have brought on.

Honestly, it's 90% Flo Mounier's doing. I really wouldn't blame the new guitarist that much. The new singer just sucks.
----
- George Carlin
12.07.2010 - 23:32
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Doc G. on 12.07.2010 at 22:08

Honestly, it's 90% Flo Mounier's doing. I really wouldn't blame the new guitarist that much. The new singer just sucks.

I would have to disagree, flo's still as epic as ever... maybe he changed his signature style a little bit but he's still one hell of a drummer, and definitely among the fastest. its the new vocalist that is litterally killing the band.. i cant bear to listen to a whole track from start to end without pausing and listening to somethign else in the middle so i'd 'clean-up' my ears from the shit that's staining it coz of the faggot deathcore vocalist .. and the new guitarist isn't THAT horrible i guess... but he's still not good AT ALL.. and incomparable to Levasseur
----

12.07.2010 - 23:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Zombie on 12.07.2010 at 23:32

I would have to disagree, flo's still as epic as ever... maybe he changed his signature style a little bit but he's still one hell of a drummer, and definitely among the fastest. its the new vocalist that is litterally killing the band.. i cant bear to listen to a whole track from start to end without pausing and listening to somethign else in the middle so i'd 'clean-up' my ears from the shit that's staining it coz of the faggot deathcore vocalist .. and the new guitarist isn't THAT horrible i guess... but he's still not good AT ALL.. and incomparable to Levasseur

Who do you think is responsible for the new direction they took? Flo Mounier.
----
- George Carlin
12.07.2010 - 23:49
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Doc G. on 12.07.2010 at 23:35

Written by Zombie on 12.07.2010 at 23:32

Who do you think is responsible for the new direction they took? Flo Mounier.

well, i don't know about that.. if you're sure then i guess i believe u.. but eitherways Lord Worn is pretty much irreplaceable ... so maybe he was stuck with this faggot kid he's got for a vocalist now
----

12.07.2010 - 23:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Zombie on 12.07.2010 at 23:49

well, i don't know about that.. if you're sure then i guess i believe u.. but eitherways Lord Worn is pretty much irreplaceable ... so maybe he was stuck with this faggot kid he's got for a vocalist now

I don't have time to really search this too deeply right now, but it appears this is a good hint of the direction the band was planning to go in. I think Alex Auburn quit because of the new direction, so I doubt he was responsible. Flo Mounier has been the most vocal about making fun of the new sounds detractors so I assume it's him that is more or less the leader of the band. I guess it's all just speculation.
----
- George Carlin
13.07.2010 - 06:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'm stoked for Youri Raymond being in the band, but I'd prefer Alex and Jon to return, obviously.
13.07.2010 - 10:59
vezzy
Stallmanite
It could be worse, guys. We could have Waking the Cadaver's vocalist take over vocal duties.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
04.08.2010 - 01:43
Puff
The Forlorn
New Cryptopsy Sounds pretty retarded imo. They're way to technical to play freakin metalcore.
Sounds way out of place and directionless. Some Riffs are pretty entertaining and the drumming still amazes me tought.
But I just dont get why they would have chosen that type of vocalist.
Looks like they want to get back all the fans Despised Icon stole from Cryptopsy.
Anyway I don't think Lord Worm was such a phenomenal vocalist either. (just picture him in Opeth)
But he fitted Cryptopsy Perfectly. Wrote above average lyrics imo and he gave one hell of a show Live.

Personally prefer None So Vile and Blasphemy Made Flesh over all of they're releases.
And Then You'll Beg seemed so messed up and took time to grow on me.
Never listened to Whisper Supremacy (let me know if your opinions on it if ya dont mind metaldudes)
Once Was Not showed a pretty fresh and new face to Cryptopsy.
And The Unspoken King made one of the best cupholders ever. seriously.
----
20.05.2011 - 01:33
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
In case anyone hasn't heard yet, Jon Levasseur is back in the band. Their last album had some seriously weak riffage, so this is really good news.