Metal Storm logo
Doctor Who

29.06.2008 - 04:47
Urizen367
so i know a few of you people are fans of this show. i mean damn, it is the longest running sci-fi series of all time. so, fans of the old and the new series, let us converse of various doctor topics. starting with: has anyone seen the newest episode, The Stolen Earth? dammit if that one didn't have a lot of twists.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
29.06.2008 - 17:46
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
omg i love doctor who, david tennent is awesome as the doctor i think..
the stolen earth episode was gripping but i hate the way it ended, after part 1 such a fucking cliffhanger...i wanna see him after he regenerates but i have to wait a whole week!!
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
30.06.2008 - 17:47
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Haha - I bet I'm the only person hare who has been watching Dr Who since the very beginning

This current series ( and current Doctor ) has to be one of the best I think.

Although I'm slightly disappointed that they have brought back the Daleks yet again - some new "arch-enemies" would be a refreshing change I think.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
30.06.2008 - 20:39
metalhead3
i watch some episodes and seria is good and interesting.actors are very well.
02.07.2008 - 01:18
Urizen367
Written by hanna of steel on 30.06.2008 at 17:47

Haha - I bet I'm the only person hare who has been watching Dr Who since the very beginning

Although I'm slightly disappointed that they have brought back the Daleks yet again - some new "arch-enemies" would be a refreshing change I think.

i have to agree that the Daleks are starting to grow stale. honestly, how many times (and decades) do you need to have your ass kicked to realize, "maybe we shouldn't fuck with this dude"
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
29.07.2008 - 03:19
Hrothdane
Written by Urizen367 on 02.07.2008 at 01:18

Written by hanna of steel on 30.06.2008 at 17:47

i have to agree that the Daleks are starting to grow stale. honestly, how many times (and decades) do you need to have your ass kicked to realize, "maybe we shouldn't fuck with this dude"

I completely agree. Homages to the previous series are fine, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try new things.

Which is why I am very happy that Stephen Moffat will be taking over directing/producing/writing the show from Russel T. Davies. If you don't know Stephen Moffat, hes the mind behind the first 2 episodes with jack in them (The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances), the episode with Madame de Pompadour (The Girl in the Fireplace), the Weeping Angels (Blink), and the 2 parter in the library (which I havent seen yet). I can honestly say that these are all my favorite episodes, and i think the best written out of all of them.

Hopefully, Moffat will bring some more fresh awesomeness to the show
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
29.07.2008 - 09:41
Fuath
a huge fan of the dr
a friend of mine is a total nut and will be going as the peter davidson dr at this years fancy dress
he also has the masters collector edition ring

i liked the classic series monsters they brought back this season
it was good to see them alive again
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

16.08.2008 - 06:10
Oracle
Orcinus
Ive only just started getting into it and im enjoying it a lot. I find that its entertaining and i cant seem to stop watching it now.
I dont think ive ever seen the old series though but im sure they are good if the new series are
18.08.2008 - 07:05
PsychoNerd
Written by Oracle on 16.08.2008 at 06:10

Ive only just started getting into it and im enjoying it a lot. I find that its entertaining and i cant seem to stop watching it now.
I dont think ive ever seen the old series though but im sure they are good if the new series are

did you watch the unicorn and the wasp last night, i thought it was the butler, as always
----
The computer Nerd
18.08.2008 - 08:07
Oracle
Orcinus
@FourSuits: Yes i did watch it and no it wasnt the butler lol.
06.07.2011 - 19:20
SPNkitkat
Wow this thread's kinda old..
anyway, guess it's up to me to ask, what does everyone think of Matt Smith? Now that he's been around for a year & a half.

& btw, Doctor Who's my 2nd favourite show, only the new series though -I've only ever watched about 2 eps of the old series.
18.08.2011 - 16:32
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
I'm sort of getting used to Matt Smith now. I hated that David Tennant left as he was an awesome Doctor and it always takes some adjustment when the new one comes along. Now that we're a season and a half into the new Doctor though I can now at least get into each storyline better without being annoyed that there is a new actor playing the main character. The new season 6 is pretty good though. It's quite gripping when they leave so many unanswered questions. This bullshit of splitting the series up is annoying as now there is a wait between knowing what else happens in the series haha. Not long to go now though!
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
18.08.2011 - 16:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ecclestone > Tenant > Smith

I don't mind Smith and I really liked Tenant a lot but Ecclestone rocked my boat the most.

Watching Torchwood now, just finished the first season. It's very hard to adjust to if I'm honest and the unnecessary amount of gay/bi characters is getting silly. Point proven Torchwood, point proven.

Isn't the new Doctor Who season supposed to be on in a couple of weeks?
18.08.2011 - 16:56
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Regarding the adjusting phase I mentioned I did actually dislike David Tenant to begin with too but he became worth it quickly enough. Nothing wrong with Ecclestone though.

Yeah even in Doctor Who the amount of sexuality questioning scenes involving Captain Jack became a much. I'm not a huge fan of Torchwood but I haven't watched a lot of it either. The Sarah Jane thing is even lamer although it's obviously a kids show (my sister watched it just about every day when they had pay TV).

The second half of season six starts next week. The first seven episodes of it are out if you've missed them
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
18.08.2011 - 17:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I think I have watched them, the end was the revelation between River and Amy right? I thought that was the end of the season for some reason.
23.08.2011 - 09:04
whatsacow
I just don't like the new writer as much as RTD. The thing is, that even when the plot of an episode was shit, they made up for it with character. But some the plot elements and character elements were just terrible at the start of this season. From the ep where you meet the Tardis (sexy) onwards was good though...

I like matt smith. He's always been a bit more light hearted than Tennants extremely burdoned portrayel, but now he's gotten a lot more depth, especially given the last episode. Seriously can't wait till the season continues.

About Torchwood however: The new season is shit. Children of the Earth was amazing because it was mature, dark, and it never dragged. The love between Jack and Ianto was good because it never felt forced, and it actually felt real. Miracle day kind of just dumps gay sex scenes on us as a way to say: "Fuck you homophobes!" Although RTD did kind of mess that up by doing a split screen with a gay love scene on one side, and a straight one on the other...
Anywho... the Americanisation of Torchwood is a massive letdown, as in certain episodes, it almost feels like I'm watching NCIS. Aliens are only shown in flashbacks so far, The plot hasn't really gone anywhere substantial, every episode seems to drag, and even the script is pathetic most of the time. That said, there still are some amazing moments, but as a whole its been pretty shit. I hate Rex with a passion, and esther is just fucking annoying, and doesn'tt do anything. How did you mess this series up so badly?

Oh well. Doctor Who is getting better at least.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
25.08.2011 - 01:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 18.08.2011 at 16:35

Watching Torchwood now, just finished the first season. It's very hard to adjust to if I'm honest and the unnecessary amount of gay/bi characters is getting silly. Point proven Torchwood, point proven.

it doesn't get any better... it's basically like the Sci Fi version of the last two-three seasons of Friends. everyone hooking up with everyone... only with the Bi/Gay factor. would be swell if it was stated and the show focused on the sci fi adventure stuff rather than repeatedly beating us over the head with it.

TW is completely hit or miss with me. some i like, some i dislike. and it has the weird distinction if being a show i kind of enjoy without really liking any of the primary characters.

the Children of Earth season was awesome. current one has an interesting story line, but way way way way too many suspensions of disbelief... don't want to get too into it for fear of spoiling it. suffice it to say the only character in the show i've truly liked isn't a member of the team... it's Reese/Rhys/Reis/however the fuck he spells his name.

as for the Americanization... don't blame us. might be set in America, with American actors playing support roles... but it's still a British serial with British writers.

(although reading the BBC Who boards was hilarious, though... people whining about "Who crew turning their back on England in search of the American dollar" because they filmed 5 or 6 episodes out of 777 in the U S of A. one has to wonder if there was outcry for shows set in Italy [Mask of Mandragora with Baker, more recently Vampires of Venice - filmed in Croatia]... or if it's just some tired Anti-US sentiment. or just fucking myopic douchebags... )
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.08.2011 - 10:40
whatsacow
Written by BitterCOld on 25.08.2011 at 01:51

Written by Guest on 18.08.2011 at 16:35

it doesn't get any better... it's basically like the Sci Fi version of the last two-three seasons of Friends. everyone hooking up with everyone... only with the Bi/Gay factor. would be swell if it was stated and the show focused on the sci fi adventure stuff rather than repeatedly beating us over the head with it.

TW is completely hit or miss with me. some i like, some i dislike. and it has the weird distinction if being a show i kind of enjoy without really liking any of the primary characters.

the Children of Earth season was awesome. current one has an interesting story line, but way way way way too many suspensions of disbelief... don't want to get too into it for fear of spoiling it. suffice it to say the only character in the show i've truly liked isn't a member of the team... it's Reese/Rhys/Reis/however the fuck he spells his name.

as for the Americanization... don't blame us. might be set in America, with American actors playing support roles... but it's still a British serial with British writers.

(although reading the BBC Who boards was hilarious, though... people whining about "Who crew turning their back on England in search of the American dollar" because they filmed 5 or 6 episodes out of 777 in the U S of A. one has to wonder if there was outcry for shows set in Italy [Mask of Mandragora with Baker, more recently Vampires of Venice - filmed in Croatia]... or if it's just some tired Anti-US sentiment. or just fucking myopic douchebags... )

Mine wasn't so much of a hatred of American TV, I like a fair bit of it. The thing that gets me is that A) the american characters are very stereotypical to the point of being ridiculous. The show has gotten even more ridiculous than ever, and it feels more like NCIS in the early episodes than Torchwood. I don't have a problem with NCIS, but when I watch Torchwood, I want to watch Torchwood.
Torchwood is very hit and miss, but then again, so is Doctor Who (I mean seriously? The Daleks steal earth ep? That episode was just an excuse to fit every fricken character from the modern who canon in somehow). But overall, both shows have a charm about them, that you love them despite their flaws. The last season of torchwood just hasn't given me that.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
27.08.2011 - 12:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by whatsacow on 27.08.2011 at 10:40

Mine wasn't so much of a hatred of American TV, I like a fair bit of it. The thing that gets me is that A) the american characters are very stereotypical to the point of being ridiculous. The show has gotten even more ridiculous than ever, and it feels more like NCIS in the early episodes than Torchwood. I don't have a problem with NCIS, but when I watch Torchwood, I want to watch Torchwood.
Torchwood is very hit and miss, but then again, so is Doctor Who (I mean seriously? The Daleks steal earth ep? That episode was just an excuse to fit every fricken character from the modern who canon in somehow). But overall, both shows have a charm about them, that you love them despite their flaws. The last season of torchwood just hasn't given me that.

haha, the daleks/stolen planet two parter was perhaps my favorite new-Who episode.

as for the new TW, i, in a drunken haze, wrote multiple paragraphs shredding certain parts of it (which i never posted anywhere...) - it is certainly no children of earth. i think the worst is the absurdity of US citizens even listening to Bill Pullman's character (he has done a great job acting... the writing is the problem) ... suffice it to say as a red-blooded (not redneck) yank, i highly doubt we'd ever listen to what a character like that would say about anything. considering the plotline, entirely new versions of torment would be devised so a person like that could be efficiently and effectively removed from the gene pool.

TW has always been more hit and miss than modern DW, and i think they set the bar too high with Children Of Earth. the basic premise of this season is very intriguing... the actual way it has played out through the 1920's flashback episode hasn't lived up to the premise.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.08.2011 - 11:25
whatsacow
Written by BitterCOld on 27.08.2011 at 12:28

Written by whatsacow on 27.08.2011 at 10:40

haha, the daleks/stolen planet two parter was perhaps my favorite new-Who episode.

as for the new TW, i, in a drunken haze, wrote multiple paragraphs shredding certain parts of it (which i never posted anywhere...) - it is certainly no children of earth. i think the worst is the absurdity of US citizens even listening to Bill Pullman's character (he has done a great job acting... the writing is the problem) ... suffice it to say as a red-blooded (not redneck) yank, i highly doubt we'd ever listen to what a character like that would say about anything. considering the plotline, entirely new versions of torment would be devised so a person like that could be efficiently and effectively removed from the gene pool.

TW has always been more hit and miss than modern DW, and i think they set the bar too high with Children Of Earth. the basic premise of this season is very intriguing... the actual way it has played out through the 1920's flashback episode hasn't lived up to the premise.

I agree. Dames shouldn't have such a following. He has proven he is a monster. And also, so far, he has nothing to do with the plot so far, so he just seems slightly pointless. No one in their right mind would listen to a pedophile. A murderer ar theif, maybe, but in most societies pedophilia is the lowest of the low. And maybe you're right, if it wasn't for children of the earth, I might not mind this all that much.
And I loved the stolen earth ep the first time I watched it, but the thing that really pissed me off about it (and the entire season 4 really) is that they brought Rose back, basically undoing an amazingly emotional moment - just for a big ol' family reunion.
----
28.08.2011 - 20:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Saw the first episode of the new set, wasn't bad. I was worried for a second as I thought the new character that was introduced at the start would be a recurring character - she was fucking annoying. Thankfully she won't be returning. In a sense. Trying not to use spoilers here ok?

Also watched Children of Earth - the best thing Torchwood has done, was really quite excellent.
30.08.2011 - 23:47
Ankläger
Well, I watched the 2005 series, then ignored it until about 2008, caught up on everything, and just gave the first Matt Smith season a miss.
I liked the first 3 or 4 episodes of the current season, but it's gone downhill fast. (Last good one, I think, was with the human incarnation of the TARDIS)