Metal Storm logo
Finntroll

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 06:10
Currently listening to the album Nattfödd; and aren't these guys great?

Finntroll are a Finnish band with vocals in Swedish; they combine metal and traditional Finnish humppa (polka). Their lyrics are generally about trolls and trollish activities--such as beer-drinking and casual violence, like massacring Christians.

The band has gone through quite a few trials, among them, the guitarist Somnium either falling or jumping off of a bridge and meeting his death, and the original vocalist Katla's early retirement due to a tumor in his throat which rendered him unable to sing. Recently, Wilska, the vocalist who followed in Katla's footsteps, has been fired from the band, and a Mathias Lillmåns hired in his place.

Anyway, let further Finntroll discussion begin!
22.06.2006 - 16:47
danzig111
Account deleted
@GT: those are my 2 favourite songs too

I love Finntroll! lol they are soooo funny! the way they combine Polka with Dark Metal! "Nattfodd" is their best.......It sucks how Wilska got fired, he had that cool Troll Voice, i think the new album is gonna be disappointing.
22.06.2006 - 20:25
mAD_lINe
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.06.2006 at 16:47

I love Finntroll! lol they are soooo funny! the way they combine Polka with Dark Metal! "Nattfodd" is their best.......It sucks how Wilska got fired, he had that cool Troll Voice, i think the new album is gonna be disappointing.

Yes, that's my opinion too. Too bad he was fired, in the end this will screw up the whole band maybe. Oh and by the way it's humppa, not polka. Sorry for correcting you
22.06.2006 - 21:22
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.06.2006 at 20:25

Written by Guest on 22.06.2006 at 16:47

Yes, that's my opinion too. Too bad he was fired, in the end this will screw up the whole band maybe. Oh and by the way it's humppa, not polka. Sorry for correcting you

you didn't correct me because "Huumpaa" is a style ov Polka.
12.08.2006 - 23:45
Vrana

Finntrolll kick asses! Great band, it always make me feel so free or something like that... I don't have favourit song, for me, all of them are great! I wish I could see them playing live,...Their concerts must be great
And I so like to hear them playing Jingle Bells: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUk3w2-cCCE
19.08.2006 - 00:09
shadow616

hehe great! me too very like this band they are another than many of bands in this style...
they are funny
----
www.soundbastards.pl
www.musicmetal.org
www.rycerze.wp.pl
04.10.2006 - 12:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by shadow616 on 19.08.2006 at 00:09

hehe great! me too very like this band they are another than many of bands in this style...
they are funny

haha I agree thay are funy seems even of thay come from northen prt of world where are cold, thay can be funy and msyling in thair music fun are video ''trolhammerin'' but demo what i ahd its sound slil soroowfull
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.10.2006 - 13:37
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Fantastic band, good sense of humour, good prowess of musical talent, fun and metal
27.01.2007 - 09:35
Pillow

New site Opened with a mix of sample of the upcoming album

here : http://www.finntroll.net/
08.04.2007 - 01:10
Danny Thomas

the new album is badass, fans will enjoy
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
08.04.2007 - 15:47
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Shuldnt this be in extreme metal forum???
Anyway theyre very funny and interesting, I started to learn Swedish, when i first listened to them lol....
Too bad Wilska left, I wander how is the new singer???
----
08.04.2007 - 16:13
APOHAKC
The Bard
@Ed Hunter - well, it is often to put some black metal into melodic section...
I like only one album, and very few songs from the other releases, dunno why...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
11.04.2007 - 18:56
Nixx
Account deleted
I think I've got 3 of their albums, love them all, and for me it was really easy to like Finntroll.
A sure party favourite (next to Korpiklaani and Ensiferum of course).
18.04.2007 - 03:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I hear the new album is a total let down, is this true?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.04.2007 - 03:19
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 18.04.2007 at 03:16

if you really like the "Nattfödd" vocal, then maybe.
Personally I liked it, sure it's no "Trollhammaren" track on it, but there are plenty of other good songs
(in my opinion, only listened through the album twice though, so I might change opinion on it )
My tip is to get info from a "real" Finntroll fan, or listen to the album abit before you consider buying it (which you prolly would've anyways).

EDIT: Personally, I recommend, "En mäktig här", "Ormhäxan" and "Kvällning".
But that's just my personal taste

I edited away a song cos I remember that it's from the "Nattfödd" album, sorry :/
18.04.2007 - 03:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@ Nixx
Wow your fast. Anyways, Nah, I probably wouldnt have listened to it first, thats not my style. If its a band Im really into Ill buy there album regardless of what I hear about it, but im only a sub-finntroll fan so I would like to get feedback n such.
----
- George Carlin
18.04.2007 - 03:28
Nixx
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 18.04.2007 at 03:23

@ Nixx
Wow your fast. Anyways, Nah, I probably wouldnt have listened to it first, thats not my style. If its a band Im really into Ill buy there album regardless of what I hear about it, but im only a sub-finntroll fan so I would like to get feedback n such.

I guess im more a "no-lifer" than fast ;p
I understand what you're saying, it's just like me with Dark Moors' "Beyond the Sea".
Not their greatest album, but I bought it 'cos of a couple of good songs, and that I support them by buying their CD ^^

And I started as a "semi-fan" aswell when it comes to Finntroll, but the more I listen to it, the more I like it
I also like their instrmental album "Visor om Slutet", even though I'm not a huge fan of instrumental albums
But I sincerly believe that if you like Finntroll, you'll like "Ur Jordens Djup" aswell.

But I can't say this enough, this is just my personal thoughts about it, you might not agree when you hear the album yourself
18.04.2007 - 14:46
Judas
The Amputator
I heard the new album a few days ago, and it is very good. I never liked Nattfödd that much, it was good, but not that special (except for 'Trollhammaren' of course!). Ur Jordens Djup is better than that one, but falls short of my favourite, Jaktens Tid. It's not as happy and crazy as the old ones, but enjoyable nonetheless.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
18.04.2007 - 15:37
Nixx
Account deleted
@ Judas
Yeah I know, I've heard the album quite lot lately, and it "grows" on me.
Is it me or does it sound abit more "aggressive"?
(Ur Jordens Djup I mean).
18.04.2007 - 21:02
Ivor
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 18.04.2007 at 03:16

It's not a letdown as such. Well, it usually depends what you expect. If you expect much, you'll almost always will be disappointed. I wasn't satisfied with "Natfödd" when that came out. Not being satisfied is not a letdown. It just wasn't interesting enough. I can tell that same sort of apllies to "Ur Jordens Djup" from my point of view. It's just not interesting enough, hence average. However, I cannot say that anything on the album is bad. The music is allright and it's quite interesting to listen to first time. Later listens are not as rewarding. Maybe I will yet discover this album. So far I think I will stick to "Jaktens Tid" and the brilliant "Visor Om Slutet."

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
18.04.2007 - 21:22
Baz Anderson

yeh.. go and have a look at my review for it..

http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=4055

I think its a good album - it is well worth listening to, but still I probably do prefer other stuff to this one
18.04.2007 - 23:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@ Baz
Yeah I read your review, thats where I heard it was sort of a letdown, I just wanted to get a few second opinions cus sometimes I dont always agree with the reviews.
----
- George Carlin
21.04.2007 - 15:52
Baz Anderson

ok! finally my interview is all typed up and ready to read!!
here it is:

http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/interview.php?interview_id=412
22.04.2007 - 14:55
Judas
The Amputator
Vreth and Skrymer, where are you?
----
23.04.2007 - 00:58
Darktonny
Account deleted
Finntroll is a really good band, yeh. I think their best albums are "Nattfödd" and "Jaktens Tid". I feel the last one is the most complete of all their albums. What do you think?
23.04.2007 - 13:48
Nixx
Account deleted
@Darktonny
I agree on that statement.
23.04.2007 - 14:02
APOHAKC
The Bard
Well.. Jaktens Tid definetely, at least for me
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
23.04.2007 - 14:21
Judas
The Amputator
'Jaktens Tid' was my first Finntroll album, and still remains my favourite. The style was perfected on this one, and while I respect that they don't want to sound identical each time, this album is the be-all-and-end-all of the so-called 'Troll Metal'. Jaktens Tid > Visor Om Slutet > Ur Jordens Djup = Midnattens Widunder > Nattfödd.
----
26.04.2007 - 17:27
Mela Muke
Account deleted
The new album is bliss
A relief from the other disappointments of this year
03.07.2007 - 02:24
delusionist

ATM Finntroll is the only band managing to make better albums. All my fav. bands have let me down so far. I still have high hopes for the new Turisas though (not really my favourite band, but certainly in my top-10 bands).

This is one of the best albums I have ever heard (Ur Jordens Djup). The lyrics are amazing and the melodies are even better. This album is a lot more serious than nattfödd, it's not that I don't enjoy nattfödd, but IMO it's a bit overrated (trollhammaren at least, average song at best).

Ur Jordens Djup is filled with great songs, and the reast is really good. The ones I'd like to pick out are Ur Djupet, Korpens Saga, Sång and Nedgång. Slagbroder offers really interesting vocals ( a bit dimmuish maybe?).

Finaly I'd really like to lift my hat off for Katla for the lyrics. The way he uses the words and his special way of telling a tale were some things I really missed on Nattfödd. No offence to Wilska and Trollhorn, their lyrics made me smile more than once (in a good way), this is, however, something different and I like it, a lot. Good to have him back.
03.07.2007 - 05:32
ASiema113

Awesome band love the way they blend folk & black metal together, some of their stuff even has a nice rock vibe to it.

Also I'm wondering if there any other bands that have a similar sound like it, any input would be greatly appreciated .
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.