Metal Storm logo
Finntroll

Original post

Posted by , 17.05.2006 - 06:10
Currently listening to the album Nattfödd; and aren't these guys great?

Finntroll are a Finnish band with vocals in Swedish; they combine metal and traditional Finnish humppa (polka). Their lyrics are generally about trolls and trollish activities--such as beer-drinking and casual violence, like massacring Christians.

The band has gone through quite a few trials, among them, the guitarist Somnium either falling or jumping off of a bridge and meeting his death, and the original vocalist Katla's early retirement due to a tumor in his throat which rendered him unable to sing. Recently, Wilska, the vocalist who followed in Katla's footsteps, has been fired from the band, and a Mathias Lillmåns hired in his place.

Anyway, let further Finntroll discussion begin!
25.07.2009 - 18:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I listened to many of them and think it really is...but it is a matter of taste obviously
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

25.07.2009 - 22:04
Janne
Hugin
Lol I've just seen that Tom & Jerry episode on cartoon network.. but it wasn't as good as the finntroll version xD
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
21.08.2009 - 04:37
Windsovcreation

Finntroll are great. Very great

Awesome fucking band
----
21.08.2009 - 06:16
Janne
Hugin
Written by Windsovcreation on 21.08.2009 at 04:37

Finntroll are great. Very great

Awesome fucking band

this post is full of meat...!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
21.08.2009 - 10:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Full of mead maybe?
----

29.08.2009 - 21:58
IllOmenNation

Still decent, but I have to say Korpiklaani are taking the title away from FT.
----
Ill Omen Nation - Great Finnish/Scandinavian Metal! http://www.myspace.com/illomennation
29.08.2009 - 22:05
Fhuesc

Written by IllOmenNation on 29.08.2009 at 21:58

Still decent, but I have to say Korpiklaani are taking the title away from FT.

which title?
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
29.08.2009 - 22:09
IllOmenNation

As the definitive "finnish sauna/drinking metal" band of course
----
Ill Omen Nation - Great Finnish/Scandinavian Metal! http://www.myspace.com/illomennation
29.08.2009 - 22:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
But Finntroll are more insane than Korpiklaani
----

29.08.2009 - 22:22
IllOmenNation

Well, have to admit that for sure, but it is just that Finntroll have become a bit darker now and not as catchy as their earlier days.

BTW, nice av of Blue ya got there.. Wolf's Rain is one of my favorite animes ever.
----
29.08.2009 - 22:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by IllOmenNation on 29.08.2009 at 22:22

BTW, nice av of Blue ya got there.. Wolf's Rain is one of my favorite animes ever.

thanks, but attend Pub next time, for such a philosophic discussions or Anime thread, we have one too
----

27.11.2009 - 15:25
GT
Coffee!!
The info about their new album sounds interesting. Looking forward to it
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
29.11.2009 - 11:00
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I second to that
----

04.12.2009 - 21:38
Janne
Hugin
And I'm really looking forward to it to know what to expect live in may! :)
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
17.12.2009 - 18:33
bard

Their new myspace page has a really strange band picture. And I'm not really sure what to think of the new song.
----
17.12.2009 - 19:07
FeskarN

The new song is really great. The keyboard stuff on it is pretty funny with the ghost/"scary" sounds. If the album sounds like this I would be very satisfied.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
17.12.2009 - 23:43
Janne
Hugin
The song is good! I feel a small return to Nattfödd (a cover artworks are so similar too)
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
24.12.2009 - 02:35
xxhamzxx

Finntroll's awesome, I find they never get boring.
11.02.2010 - 02:18
Burning Winter

Solsagan's awesome too.... If only the album can be as strong as these two
----
We just have one life... SO LISTEN TO METAL!!!!
28.02.2010 - 02:40
Fhuesc

I cant find the difference between Under Dvärgens Fot and Under Bergets Rot, care to explain?
----
Until victory, always!
04.03.2010 - 20:45
Janne
Hugin
It's getting better now that I've listened to it some times! tbh I wouldn't say it's their best work after the first few listenings.. by now it has changed
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
04.03.2010 - 23:47
Feng

I'm really impressed with the new album, some really good songs in there. This album has also made me love Vreth even more, can't get enough of his growls!
09.03.2010 - 02:56
Krachyon
Account deleted
Thats the band, the band that got me into metal.
I listened to it and thought: Wow, that's the most messed up thing i've ever heard, what freaks. Then I listened again and beacause I wanted to figure out what the hell they were going for. And somehow I got hooked. I still love the contrast between dark and harsh vocals and guitars and cheesy keyboards and melodies. Contrary to all common sense it doesn't just sound like shit but like totally insane awesome shit.

Imho the darker style on Ur Jordens Djup was actually totally cool in its own way, especially as the songs got a notch faster as well. I really can't decide if I like the "sadist trolls hunting humans" or the "happy trolls getting pissed" better. As far as I can tell after a few runs both are equally there on the new album. A few parts of Solsagan even rival Trollhammaren.
Gah. Must see live. NOW!
10.03.2010 - 21:26
Burning Winter

Written by Fhuesc on 28.02.2010 at 02:40

I cant find the difference between Under Dvärgens Fot and Under Bergets Rot, care to explain?

Under Dvärgens Fot is with acoustic guitars if I remember correctly... must check this out one more time
----
We just have one life... SO LISTEN TO METAL!!!!
13.03.2010 - 06:49
Fhuesc

Written by Burning Winter on 10.03.2010 at 21:26

Written by Fhuesc on 28.02.2010 at 02:40

Under Dvärgens Fot is with acoustic guitars if I remember correctly... must check this out one more time

Thx for the tip, i'll listen it again.
----
Until victory, always!
17.03.2010 - 22:30
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
I'm liking Nifelvind a good bit. It's what I would expect from Finntroll.
20.03.2010 - 16:45
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
The new album is alright....bit sad that Im not blown away by it the same way "Ur Jordens Djup" had got to me. Wish there were more killer tracks on the new album but it just kinda stays even - none of the songs are bad but none of them make me want to listen to it 3 times in a row the way "Korpens Saga", "Ormhaxan" or "En Maktig Har" did - shit I could listen to them 10 times in a row lol
08.12.2010 - 21:09
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Guest on 20.03.2010 at 16:45

The new album is alright....bit sad that Im not blown away by it the same way "Ur Jordens Djup" had got to me. Wish there were more killer tracks on the new album but it just kinda stays even - none of the songs are bad but none of them make me want to listen to it 3 times in a row the way "Korpens Saga", "Ormhaxan" or "En Maktig Har" did - shit I could listen to them 10 times in a row lol

I partially agree. It's not as mind-blowing as Ur Jordens Djup but it's still epic as hell! Maybe over time the more special tracks will reveal themselves. I JUST got my hands on this yesterday (finally) and really enjoyed the first listen.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
21.08.2011 - 04:08
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Finntroll is awesome. I just finished listening to Jaktens Tid, and this metal Humppa fusion is so epic.
11.12.2011 - 11:59
Midgard

I recommend checkin' out Windir - Ending (Performed Finntroll).

Tribute to Valfar with a dope fucking Finntroll twist haha. how good