Treasure Trove:
06. Equilibrium In Legoland
07. Nach Dem Winter 2002
08. Blut Im Auge 2002
+ Studio Report
+ Backstage
+ Online Material
+ Photogallery

Folk metal came in with such force as the new popular thing and is now drifting slowly out as legions of monotonous bands have sucked the genre dry of all originality, but these Bavarians are here to breathe new life into this genre with their second album "Sagas". Equilibrium already burst onto the folk metal scene with incredible energy three years ago with the impressive but somewhat one-track minded "Turis Fratyr" and now return with a more mature, more diverse and truly masterful epic opus to take the world by storm.

Equilibrium previously brought us a fun, bouncy, folk metal experience to prance about to without thinking much about it. This time Equilibrium bring us more of the same multi-layered instrument jiggery-pokery but with a real magical spirit that holds the album together with a majestic ribbon. There is so much going on this album, so many different instruments that all band together to create beautiful melodies and the mental imagery of roaming free in some enchanted woodland. Indeed the woodwind instruments play a large part on "Sagas", as Ulrich Herkenhoff of the Lord Of The Rings soundtrack features playing the pan flute. The album is not one of single direction; instead the album branches out and covers more areas breathing new life into the music like the roots of a tree reaching out underground for nourishment. Not only does the album have a fair number of the compulsory high-speed, galloping double bass drum tracks with an infectious bounce and feel-good nature about them such as "Blut Im Auge" and the insanely catchy "Heimwärts" - but this time Equilibrium also pay careful attention to the slower songs by means of adding an exquisite earthly ambience and the finer details of the album. "Wurzelbert" kicks the album into full swing and sends a message across showing more solidarity to the band and the song writing in particular, "Unbesiegt" also is not a relatively fast song, although still upbeat, and with such a charm on the side of the woodwind starting off the song makes for one of the many great highlights of "Sagas".

Such wizardry is rare; "Sagas" brings a genuine breath of fresh air into folk metal and can easily pass as being one of the greatest albums of the genre to date. If anything can be said against it, it is not an easy pill to swallow as its duration is over a staggering eighty minutes. When you consider the quality at hand this is hardly a problem however. Musical ups and downs, fast songs, slower - mid-paced songs, and not to mention the last track of the album, a sublime near-eighteen minute instrumental masterpiece all cement "Sagas" as an instant classic. Last track "Mana" takes the listener on a mystical adventure through the woodland glades, complete with real sounds of nature, it is an epic and emotional journey in itself that will leave you speechless in its magnificent awe afterwards. It is not often an album so magical, so musically picturesque and complete with such a natural, green, organic spirit rears its head, but "Sagas" is one of these real gems that just need to be heard to be believed.

Written on 02.07.2008 by Member of Staff since 2006

Guest review by
VPeter
Rating:
Equilibrium are one of the most promising young folk metal bands out there - at least for most people. I myself wasn't that impressed with Turis Fratyr, it was enjoyable but it sounded a bit to much like Menhir and many other more underground German Folk/Pagan bands mixed with Finntroll. But now they are back and have gathered everything they can, to bring one epic masterpiece who will surely convince all critics!

Read more ››
published 04.11.2008 | Comments (18)

Comments

Comments: 53   Visited by: 441 users
02.07.2008 - 23:39
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Amazing review Baz! This album shows just how much Equilibrium have matured, even with the loss of three members they have developed their style to perfection. I like how dark some of the songs are, it gives a good balance to their happy-bouncy style. The melodies of "Unbesiegt" are incredible, I sense a hint of Latin influence? And ZZ Top?! That riff came out of nowhere...
02.07.2008 - 23:43
Rating: 8
Talvi

There is no album with such rating since the day that ratings changes in metalstorm. I didn't know if this album was going to be so good even after hearing so much hype, but now I'm going to do it. The debut was very good, but too generic. Let's see how Sagas is.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
03.07.2008 - 00:23
Rating: 9
Promonex
Cathemeral
I wouldn't have thought I'd be going to say this, but I fully agree! I wouldn't give it a 10, but that's just me who hasn't even dished out 20 10's in total. "Turis Fratyr" was awesome already, but grew stale after a while and once I got to know the rest of the German pagan metal scene I've considered Equilibrium quite overrated actually. But with this album they are definitely reconquering the throne! And "Unbesiegt" just owns! CALYPSO METAL!! \m/
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
03.07.2008 - 10:40
Abattoir

This staff is killing...great album
03.07.2008 - 11:16
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
If there wasn't this review I would never discover this band... So thanks! Their both albums are just amazing, I just have finished with listening.
03.07.2008 - 11:56
Rating: 10
FeskarN

nice review! I have only listened to it one time but I think the album is really amazing and it's going to be this year masterpiece!
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
03.07.2008 - 13:04
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
This album is a very interesting folk metal experience. One of the best folk metal album that I have heard by far. This album is more mature and especially varied.
Also the Limited Edition packaging is really beautiful, finishing this sound perfection.

I forgot, very nice review Barry.
03.07.2008 - 14:18
Infurnace

I'm pretty curious, so I might check this one out. Some guy recommended this one to me, and I guess he was right.
03.07.2008 - 22:13
gmadjara
Account deleted
this review is great, i agree with everything you wrote, truly amazing album.
04.07.2008 - 00:10
enumaelis

The biggest album of pagan folk of this year with Forefather's one!!!!
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
04.07.2008 - 12:39
MultipleX
Account deleted
great album!! black/folk/symphonic in a masterpiece!!
04.07.2008 - 18:19
Moop Monster

Apparently im buying this album. Ive heard a couple of tracks already and was quite impressed. Thanks for the review.
04.07.2008 - 18:28
toddincarnia

I just got this album a couple days ago, listened to it twice already, it's fucking epic as hell. I expected more like their demo/Turis Fratyr but it was heavier, darker and much more melodic, but still had all the folky riffs I loved from their first album. One of my favorite from 2008 so far.

Awesaome review man.
08.07.2008 - 22:59
hard_tom

I agree totally with the review, for me the best album in 2008.
14.07.2008 - 00:18
LeoBozzano

Best album until now in this year.
----
"The evil that man do lives on."
17.07.2008 - 05:45
SolitariuS

Very good review
On SAGAS; for me, one of the best Folk Metal albums ever, number 1 of the year on this genre, and second of all genres [ayreon's being 1 for me]

GREAT!
pure awesomeness
21.07.2008 - 22:44
Fat & Sassy!

This album is beautiful. It is one of those albums that is truly inspiring. I get excited just thinking about listening the song Mana just one more time...
27.07.2008 - 12:31
DieH@rd

OMG, this is out! I cant belive that is better than "Turis Fratyr". I mean, how can you beat that awesomnes??
----
His is a name the world will never forget... He is Dargor!
-Rhapsody-
27.07.2008 - 16:58
Deadsoulman

I haven't listened to this album enough to form a concrete and long-lasting opinion, but I think it often sounds uncannily like Nocte Obducta. Especially the vocals.
05.08.2008 - 00:04
Janne
Hugin
Great album. I haven't listened to it much(maybe 10 times) but I know I will love it. It's better than their first album was. and longer which is important to me. I hope i'll see them live in November.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
05.08.2008 - 08:36
Misha_76

Great album!
23.08.2008 - 03:32
Thanntos

Best of year. Hands down.
----
I will kill you so hard you will die to death.
23.08.2008 - 12:16
Janne
Hugin
recently my favourite sonf from Sagas is Mana! :O
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.08.2008 - 19:33
Rating: 7
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I listened to it twice and I am still not convinced by the "greatness" of this album. The song that outraged me was "Unbesiegt." It's just too cheesy. The intro reminded me of Shakira I guess . And the song that stood out for me was "Snüffel." So far 7/10.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
23.08.2008 - 19:41
Janne
Hugin
Written by K✞ulu on 23.08.2008 at 19:33

I listened to it twice and I am still not convinced by the "greatness" of this album. The song that outraged me was "Unbesiegt." It's just too cheesy. The intro reminded me of Shakira I guess . And the song that stood out for me was "Snüffel." So far 7/10.

I advise you to listen to it some more times!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.08.2008 - 19:51
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Janne on 23.08.2008 at 19:41

I probably will, but I don't think that's gonna be soon. There are some many albums waiting to get a listen. And listening to it the second time was already a struggle (I saw 9.6 from Baz and thought I should give it another try), particularly because it's so long.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

23.08.2008 - 20:13
Janne
Hugin
Written by K✞ulu on 23.08.2008 at 19:51

I probably will, but I don't think that's gonna be soon. There are some many albums waiting to get a listen. And listening to it the second time was already a struggle (I saw 9.6 from Baz and thought I should give it another try), particularly because it's so long.

yeah, it very long. I've listened to it more than 20 times, but it's still hard to listen to it from the begining to the end. I usually listen to sagas in 2 parts.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.08.2008 - 20:22
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Janne on 23.08.2008 at 20:13

yeah, it very long. I've listened to it more than 20 times, but it's still hard to listen to it from the begining to the end. I usually listen to sagas in 2 parts.

The first time I was listening to it I was thinking when it would end and I had no patience left to listen to the last song Mana. And just one more thing. No matter how many times I listen to it, I still may not like it. It's all a matter of tastes, you know.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

23.08.2008 - 20:25
Janne
Hugin
Written by K✞ulu on 23.08.2008 at 20:22

Written by Janne on 23.08.2008 at 20:13

The first time I was listening to it I was thinking when it would end and I had no patience left to listen to the last song Mana. And just one more thing. No matter how many times I listen to it, I still may not like it. It's all a matter of tastes, you know.

I know that feeling...
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
06.09.2008 - 11:28
annodomini

And i wish it will be longer if it will be possible. After the Mana ends i wont more, and i always listen album from the beggining till the end. The best album this year , no doubt.
----
the riddle wants to be...

Hits total: 15754 | This month: 10