Metal Storm logo
Who is your Favorite Rapper and why?

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 09.07.2008 - 11:15
for the few (or not, i dont know the demographic) of you metalheads that listen to rap, who is your favorite rapper and why? my top 3, in no order, are Lil Wayne, Immortal Technique and Tech N9ne. though Tech N9ne is hella club music at times, hes about his business. Immortal Technique is sheer auditory brutality and Lil Wayne has "fear god" tattooed on his eyelids and writes eloquent lyrics. Now i leave this question to ya'll, favorites and why?

EDIT, 2/3/10

the top three i originally had in this topic has DRASITCALLY changed with the exception of Immortal Technique. both Lil Wayne and Tech N9ne have commodified themselves to such a degree that their music has become unpallatable.

top 3 presently

Dead Prez
Immortal Technique
and MAYBE Nickatina or Mac Dre, but im more about lyrics with a message nowadays so they might not make it depending on circumstances.
08.06.2010 - 03:13
Got Mayhem?
I'm not a rap guy but the other night in my buds car there was a remix of the song Beemer Benz or Bentley came on with Eminem and I'm not gonna lie, when he raps fast, he raps pretty damn well. On his albums that I've listened too it's usually midpaced stuff (I think...again, not really an expert here) but from what I heard that night he's got some sick fast rhymes.
----
08.06.2010 - 06:25
Derwood
I've got to say I am not a fan of hip hop and/or rap. Every once in a while I'll here a song I like, but they are few and far between.

Last year, I got into a bit of an informal music exchange with a co-worker who is a big hip hop fan. I must say I introduced him to a lot more metal that he liked than he introduced me to hip hop that I liked. The one major exception is an act called Jedi Mind Tricks. I have no idea who they are and I can't be bothered to look into it, but I really like what I've heard from them. It's diverse and creative and lyrically miles ahead of pretty much any other rap I've heard.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
08.06.2010 - 19:33
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Derwood on 08.06.2010 at 06:25

I've got to say I am not a fan of hip hop and/or rap. Every once in a while I'll here a song I like, but they are few and far between.

Last year, I got into a bit of an informal music exchange with a co-worker who is a big hip hop fan. I must say I introduced him to a lot more metal that he liked than he introduced me to hip hop that I liked. The one major exception is an act called Jedi Mind Tricks. I have no idea who they are and I can't be bothered to look into it, but I really like what I've heard from them. It's diverse and creative and lyrically miles ahead of pretty much any other rap I've heard.

Jedi Mind Tricks are pretty good and if you like that kind of political underground rap there are even better MC's. Check out Sicknature's Honey I'm Home album and Ill Bill's The Hour of Reprisal. There is also Snowgoons' latest The Trojan Horse that is quite dope. Hip hop is often unfairly criticised because what we're all exposed to first hand is what the media shows us. So dude, give yourself the time to listen to these three albums, seriously, and afterwards you might have a whole different view on what potential this music holds. Serious business, lol.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
08.06.2010 - 19:40
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Kennoth on 02.06.2010 at 14:48

Written by Elio on 02.06.2010 at 14:10

What you're saying is not making sense at all. First everyone can go to hell, then you don't care and don't want to know much of the genre, then again you know enough stuff. Have a fap while listening to Korn and don't make such a dumb statement about a genre ever again, that's ridiculous.

It obviously doesn't make sense to you because you're either dumb, or you're trying to be. Let's for the sake of our moronic discussion hope it's the second part. I'm trying to tell you that I don't give a flying fuck about most rap artists. Can you put that into your little head? I. Just. Don't. Care. I like Eminem, and I don't listen to rap, that's why I'm on this very forum.

And yeah, trying to get Korn into discussion is just a lowshot, which makes no sense for the topic, and people use these kind of things when they run out of smart things to say (not that you've had any in the first place).
So, if Eminem is crap to you, it isn't crap to me, these songs mean a lot to me, and you just shat all over them. So I strongly suggest you refrain yourself from shitting on other people's taste, because it can go both ways, you know?

Eminem is not shit, I'll take your standing on this one. However, I think what Elio means is that you should really take the time to look into some more hip-hip, because you might be surprised. If you're interested, check out the 3 albums I recommended to Derwood, a good starting point for metalheads I'd say.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
28.07.2010 - 13:13
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
If anyone cares, Dead Prez has sold their souls to the mainstream rap industry. R.I.P. Dead Prez, 2000-2010
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
06.08.2010 - 09:54
Perseverence
Account deleted
Insane Clown Posse for that Nutz song

Your nutz we want your nutz
Please oh please fuck dirty butts
27.09.2010 - 08:31
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Visioneerie on 08.06.2010 at 19:40

Eminem is not shit, I'll take your standing on this one. However, I think what Elio means is that you should really take the time to look into some more hip-hip, because you might be surprised. If you're interested, check out the 3 albums I recommended to Derwood, a good starting point for metalheads I'd say.

Eminem is shit now, though. his Marshall Mathers LP was LEGENDARY and now with his new album, he has lost his bite and ferocity that the aforementioned album posses in spades. his music is WAY too pop-y and has no soul in it anymore.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.09.2010 - 17:02
Elio
Red Nightmare
Opinions on Big Boi's album? it may be my hip hop album of the year.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.10.2010 - 03:13
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Timam008 on 27.09.2010 at 08:43

my choice is he too ,
he is a awesome raper !
i love rap songs so much ...............:D

an awesome raper? the man does rape like its no ones business?

rapper, son, rapper.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

24.10.2010 - 06:03
the stranger
I'm waiting for the new Calle 13 to come up next month. It's gonna be great. Anybody fond of hip hop/rap should grab it even if you don't understand a heck of Spanish. The music is great too.
24.10.2010 - 12:06
vezzy
Stallmanite
I don't know about individual rappers, but I really like N.W.A. and Public Enemy.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
24.10.2010 - 15:02
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by vezzy on 24.10.2010 at 12:06

I don't know about individual rappers, but I really like N.W.A. and Public Enemy.

Good stuff dude, especially Public Enemy
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.10.2010 - 00:49
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Elio on 24.10.2010 at 15:02

Good stuff dude, especially Public Enemy

GET UP G-G-G-GET DOWN 911 IS A JOKE IN YO TOWN. Flavor Flav= crack cocaine in human form.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

04.11.2010 - 19:30
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by LeChron James on 27.09.2010 at 08:31

Written by Visioneerie on 08.06.2010 at 19:40

Eminem is shit now, though. his Marshall Mathers LP was LEGENDARY and now with his new album, he has lost his bite and ferocity that the aforementioned album posses in spades. his music is WAY too pop-y and has no soul in it anymore.

Haven't bothered to listen to his new material because of the critiques. Might as well save myself some time. So yes, he is shit now but once was quite a respectable spitter.
----
04.02.2015 - 01:44
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Deadsoulman on 03.02.2009 at 14:09

Dälek

They're touring Europe (well, mostly France) this spring. Obviously I'll be there
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
04.02.2015 - 10:07
Deadsoulman
elite
Written by Darkside Momo on 04.02.2015 at 01:44

Written by Deadsoulman on 03.02.2009 at 14:09

Dälek

They're touring Europe (well, mostly France) this spring. Obviously I'll be there

Yup, seen that! I missed him several times already, I won't let that happen again.
18.02.2015 - 13:29
raveneffect
This thread would be way more interesting if you'd take a "p" out of the subject.
19.02.2015 - 21:45
Deathmaster
My Favorite rapper is tots Vinnie Paz, I'm a big Jedi Mind Tricks fan, and his solo stuff kills nonstop. I also enjoy Wu-Tang Clan, as well as Mobb Deep, Kool G Rap, and some other (in general) New York and East Coast Emcees. Oh and of course Eyedea!
----
"While I live let me live deep."-Robert Howard
22.02.2015 - 02:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just a few what names I don't know
well Everlats whit great song and video white thrash beautifuk
gun who sings ''welcome to gangster paradise-- like chorus part in a song
some 80's moveies about black street gangs has good songs ... but I don't know those names

T ice - because he is counting bodies
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.02.2015 - 06:58
MetCanMeshAnt
I would have to say Public Enemy. Listening to P.E. when I was younger with my cousin was what got me into Anthrax. So it's ironic that I started being a metalhead by listening to rap. While P.E. is #1, a close second is Cypress Hill. Just like their stuff. It's all about partying and hanging out and having fun....
02.04.2015 - 13:46
austin11
Kanye West, or Eminem. Kanye cuz his songs are definitely about the art of rap.
25.05.2015 - 21:32
Lethrokai
Thought I'd throw a little curveball in here:
MC Daveed Diggs from 'clipping.'

The guy is an absolutely perfect compliment to clipping.'s experimental sound, and it feels like their beats and his delivery work absolutely perfectly in sync; one can't exist without the other, but together they feel perfect. Oh, and also the guy's a technical beast as well.

Case in point:

Note how he constantly builds on the intensity of his delivery from beginning to end, and how that perfectly echoes his backing. Oh, and also alarm clocks.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
01.11.2015 - 13:06
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Death Grips has been running my life and is the basis of Kanye trying to be a rapper. Exmilitary and The Money Store are world shattering
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor