03. Virally Yours
04. I Worship Only What You Bleed
05. Nocturnal
06. Deathmask Divine
07. Of Darkness Spawned
08. Climactic Degradation
09. To A Breathless Oblivion
10. Warborn

The heathens are back with their third release: Nocturnal. Ten tracks of constant, driving mayhem that should become a textbook definition of deathcore. Their perfect mixture of death metal and hardcore elements should really say something, as they still haven't given up on either influence. Both are prevalent throughout, yet somehow work together.

The album opens with the slammer "Everything Went Black". There's no intro here, but instead a head-first dive into the organized chaos that has sky-rocketed this band to the top of the American metal food chain. Immediately it becomes apparent that Trevor Strnad either strained his vocal chords, or lost some of his edge from performing, because the vocal parts sound weaker than before. However, every instrument on the album is accented and balanced well, and is still just as driving and emotionally driven as anything else this band has done; non-stop, technically aggressive music at it's finest.

There's no decline of intensity in this album, but the closest you get to a "break" is during the ninth track, "To a Breathless Oblivion". The tempo is slower than the rest of the songs, but it still isn't lacking in heaviness or edge by any means. It may be heavy in a difference sense, but if you're expecting a chance to breathe, forget it.

Instrumentally speaking, not one musician disappoints. Anytime both guitarists provide a duel lead, both match up perfectly and seem to feed off of each other. There are some refreshing key changes, unrelenting breakdowns, and plenty of clean sounding solo work. Also, the drummer is a great example of how well someone can hone and perfect their skills. He was decent on "Unhallowed" and "Miasma", but everything comes together on this one. More difficult fills, awe-inspiring blast beats, and great footwork. For a perfect example check out the last 50 seconds of track six, "Deathmask Divine". Double bass rolls, at their finest.

The Black Dahlia Murder are apparently doing something right, because they've been supporting this album on tour since it debuted, returning to almost every city at least once. The talent was there on "Miasma", but on "Nocturnal", it's showcased. They've reached their true potential, and if you haven't heard them yet, now's your chance.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by b0000mst1ck | 20.02.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 188 users
10.07.2008 - 19:29
Rating: 7
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
The vocals are still fucking abominable.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
11.07.2008 - 03:40
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah, Trevor's high screams suck so much now, but his low growls are fine. He should just stick to grunting or something.
20.10.2008 - 18:48
keyser_soze

I'm not trying to be a jerk but just simply wish to point out why the drummming is so much better on nocturnal than their previous releases.
Black dahlia got a new drummer before nocturnal was recorded in the form of Shannon Lucas who was previously in the crappiness that is All That Remains. that is all.
02.06.2009 - 03:45
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Hmm according to ratings on Metalstorm, i must be the only person who considers Miasma their best album so far!
I only recently had a full listen to Nocturnal and it is another solid effort.
I don't think the guitarists are really that talented or anything.. This album barely showcases 'great' guitar work.. unless this is the apex that a deathcore band could be able to attain.
I agree with the above poster, the drums are a lot better on this record but not anymore or less catchy..
07.08.2009 - 22:16
wormdrink414

Written by Shadowcross on 02.06.2009 at 03:45

Hmm according to ratings on Metalstorm, i must be the only person who considers Miasma their best album so far!
I only recently had a full listen to Nocturnal and it is another solid effort.
I don't think the guitarists are really that talented or anything.. This album barely showcases 'great' guitar work.. unless this is the apex that a deathcore band could be able to attain.
I agree with the above poster, the drums are a lot better on this record but not anymore or less catchy..

I think Unhallowed is their best album by far. The label "deathcore" doesn't apply to it. Despite looking like a deathcore band (thus appealing to deathcore fans) Unhallowed was a solid melodeath metal album through and through. Nocturnal, on the other hand, has a greater deathcore influence. I thought Trevor's vocals were great on Unhallowed, but with Nocturnal they really do suck. Decent live though.
02.02.2014 - 00:34
Soulhole

Unhallowed is some good shit! Straight melodeath. Never could get into this band because of the hardcore elements, but Unhallowed doesn't have any, so hoohray! TBDM should have stuck to melodeath, and thrown the core right in the fuckin garbage where it belongs.
02.02.2014 - 00:37
Soulhole

BTW listening to deathcore makes me want to take a mean shit!*

*not in a good way*

thanks
02.02.2014 - 01:41
Uldreth

Written by Soulhole on 02.02.2014 at 00:34

Unhallowed is some good shit! Straight melodeath. Never could get into this band because of the hardcore elements, but Unhallowed doesn't have any, so hoohray! TBDM should have stuck to melodeath, and thrown the core right in the fuckin garbage where it belongs.

Unhallowed and their early demos have way more hardcore elements than anything after lol.

And their first demo is still the best thing they ever did hahah.

Hits total: 8702 | This month: 7