02. Beneath This Face
03. Quickening
04. Caucus Of Mind

Disc II
01. Silence
02. The Order Of Destiny
03. Ignotum Per Ignotius

Who needs a soul anyway?

For the last 16 years or so and with every consecutive release, Esoteric get just a little bit closer to finally condemning us all to hell, and I personally respect any band with a disposition this sunny. The Maniacal Vale is not only another step in this tortured evolution - it is the band's ultimate masterpiece and an experience so overwhelming that it will completely blow the mind and shatter the senses. Yes, for all intents and purposes, this is a perfect album and one that will be remembered for a long time as a phenomenal achievement in every way.

Like all masterpieces, The Maniacal Vale easily transcends any arbitrary genre tags and classifications. Sure, the band still specializes in extremely slow tempos and unadulterated extremity; however, beneath this omnipresent maelstrom of insanity and chaos, there are currents of tranquility, beauty and elation. Thus, the record presents a gamut of emotions, made all the more appealing by the fact that one has to dig deep to gain access to them. Produced in a way that makes the performance sound as if resonating from behind a wall of hellfire, it is up to you, the listener, to take that step and cross the line. Once you take this plunge, that's it - you are sucked into the infernal spiral of this album's genius and as terrified as you might be, you begin to love it and yearn for the current to envelop you again.

Clocking in at over 1 hour and 40 minutes and consisting of pieces that are intended to bend reality, it is pointless to favor any one track over the others. Sure, "Beneath This Face" contains one of the most incredible build-ups ever, while "Silence" and "Ignotum Per Ignotius" emanate a mood of somber contemplation. Greg Chandler provides his maniacal growls and inhuman screams throughout, while the band gracefully meanders between noise, ambiance, claustrophobic doom and catatonic psychedelia. Nevertheless, The Maniacal Vale is an experience. Gaining access to this esoteric knowledge comes at a price that not everyone is willing to pay. Succumb at your own peril and discover some of the best music you are likely to hear in your life.

Written on 11.07.2008 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 40   Visited by: 422 users
11.07.2008 - 14:49
Rating: 10
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
The Maniacal Vale still has to unfold itself for me - or as you so nicely put it: "it is up to you, the listener, to take that step and cross the line."

I ordered this album together with Subconscious... and I am afraid that this band will continue to drain a lot of hard-earned money. But hey, they are worth it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.07.2008 - 17:18
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I hadn't found the time to entirely listen to this album yet (these had bee nextremely stressful months for me), but since tomorrow I'll take some short winter vacations in the south and I'll certainly take this with me... and a big Esoteric fan and this is not the first time I read that The Maniacal Vale is their greatest album.
11.07.2008 - 20:25
Trent
Account deleted
Unbelievable good album, best of 08 so far.
11.07.2008 - 21:44
Damnated
Churchburner
heard so many good things about this album, that in some way i lost interest. that's why i keep avoiding the first listen. i was also rather busy with my exams, and i never bothered to listen to something new: been spinning the same 5-10 albums in the last weeks..

nevertheless, i do want to hear this. once i'm back from seeing Kreator, perhaps i'll get around it.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
12.07.2008 - 14:00
Omni
Account deleted
Very good album. My favourite of 08 so far
16.07.2008 - 18:18
Damnated
Churchburner
so i finally heard it, breaking my non funeral doom marathon.

the album was great. i liked it from start to finish; the only turn down was it's length. not that i was bored, but this music really requires attention, and 2 hours is just a bit too much focus. so far, this is my favorite album from this year,
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
28.07.2008 - 21:31
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I actually heard a lot about this album. I'm curious and want to listen to it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.08.2008 - 19:23
LethargyMan
Very engrossing. Though it's over two hours of funeral doom, it never really feels long because the songs are just so well constructed.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
01.08.2008 - 23:17
Sunioj
Good for what its worth but too damn long for my standards.
03.08.2008 - 14:23
Stuart
MiseryKing
bought this album yesterday, just finished listening to it for the first time, sounds great, but I don't know where I'm going to find the time enjoy it on a regular basis.
09.09.2008 - 19:44
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Impressive. Surely won't be able to listen to it every day, but it's really... intense.

One of the best 2008 releases thus far, for sure.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
17.10.2008 - 01:12
A Masterpiece like every Esoteric album.
14.12.2008 - 14:03
Rating: 7
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
What a review! I guess I just have to check this out.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
25.12.2008 - 21:05
TheBigRossowski
I'm going to have to check this album out and "experience" it. One hour and 40 minutes is a bit long, but I gotta hear this in the wake of my doom appreciation.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
19.01.2009 - 15:34
Rating: 8
sraekman
A good album and you can feel it much more after 3rd or 4th time, eventhough is difficult due to very long time of songs.Strong & atmospheric, nice work guys
17.03.2009 - 21:01
Rating: 9
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Sure its a long album but it feels more like an experience than music in all reality. Listening to this like normal music would kill it. Just sit bakc, relax, and wait for your taste of "generic" music to simply die.
29.07.2009 - 14:16
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Is it just me, or could this album be as good, if not better, if it was on one disc? It gets a little too drawn out....

I love the high screams, and my favorite tracks are the first and last song \m/
29.07.2009 - 16:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Dangerboner on 29.07.2009 at 14:16

Is it just me, or could this album be as good, if not better, if it was on one disc? It gets a little too drawn out....

I love the high screams, and my favorite tracks are the first and last song m/

Agree... I would love to have one disc instead of two. But I don't think that 100 min can be in one cd
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.07.2009 - 23:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

This is the only album I play on my mp3 player cause then I have 100 minutes of continuous music and don;t have to change cd's
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.07.2009 - 01:31
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite

It is drawn out, but I don't think you could shorten it in any way, or else it would lack this oh-so-intense mesmerizing feel.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
30.07.2009 - 16:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Darkside Momo on 30.07.2009 at 01:31

It is drawn out, but I don't think you could shorten it in any way, or else it would lack this oh-so-intense mesmerizing feel.

I think he means that all the 100 minutes should be in ONE cd. not that the songs should be shorter.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.11.2009 - 13:25
InnerSelf
proofread free
It actually took me a whole year to grasp the meaning of this masterpiece
now I can't believe this inhuman genuicity truely exists
every time I listen to this album my limbs shiver and it feels that I am drwan far away from the place I am in
every thing from the divine production to the best performance ever to the brutal screams to the songwriting that surpassed any other Doom album ever made ,this is music at its best (but not many would understand)
the solos are complexed as hell and are placed in the strangest yet best places , such as in the begining of "The Order of Destiny"
in the same song when it is about the 6:20 the circus-like riff starts off and it is by far the strangest riff I have ever heard yet the most appropriate in that specific place of the song

if I keep talking it will never end and I will have to write a reveiw but after the work jupitreas has done my words would sound silly

anyway , a perfect reveiw to a prfect album
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
08.01.2010 - 22:14
advent
Written by InnerSelf on 17.11.2009 at 13:25

It actually took me a whole year to grasp the meaning of this masterpiece
now I can't believe this inhuman genuicity truely exists
every time I listen to this album my limbs shiver and it feels that I am drwan far away from the place I am in
every thing from the divine production to the best performance ever to the brutal screams to the songwriting that surpassed any other Doom album ever made ,this is music at its best (but not many would understand)
the solos are complexed as hell and are placed in the strangest yet best places , such as in the begining of "The Order of Destiny"
in the same song when it is about the 6:20 the circus-like riff starts off and it is by far the strangest riff I have ever heard yet the most appropriate in that specific place of the song

if I keep talking it will never end and I will have to write a reveiw but after the work jupitreas has done my words would sound silly

anyway , a perfect reveiw to a prfect album

i tried to listen it when i was studing late at night..man i swear that i never felt fear before till that night...i felt that i was no alone:shit:
10.01.2010 - 23:59
Slayer666
I listened to this one a bit. Well, I can certanly tell it's got values, it's quite haunting and mesmorizing, but.... I didn't quite feel anything that special. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, or something. I'll give it another try later.
So, what is usually mentioned as Esoteric's best album? This one?
11.01.2010 - 13:33
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Slayer666 on 10.01.2010 at 23:59

I listened to this one a bit. Well, I can certanly tell it's got values, it's quite haunting and mesmorizing, but.... I didn't quite feel anything that special. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, or something. I'll give it another try later.

The Maniacal Vale is their best but Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum is just as amazing
----
is not bold enough
11.01.2010 - 13:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by InnerSelf on 11.01.2010 at 13:33

The Maniacal Vale is their best but Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum is just as amazing

All of their albums are brilliant imo. But I prefer The Maniacal Vale slightly over the rest.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.01.2010 - 13:40
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.01.2010 at 13:34

All of their albums are brilliant imo. But I prefer The Maniacal Vale slightly over the rest.

I'm still caught up in the last two albums and I am glad that I still have their first two to "enjoy"
----
is not bold enough
11.01.2010 - 13:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by InnerSelf on 11.01.2010 at 13:40

I'm still caught up in the last two albums and I am glad that I still have their first two to "enjoy"

So you're not goiong to check out album number three, Metamorphogenesis, which s only a one cd?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.01.2010 - 13:47
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.01.2010 at 13:42

Written by InnerSelf on 11.01.2010 at 13:40

So you're not goiong to check out album number three, Metamorphogenesis, which s only a one cd?

Me and my damn brain
I meant the ones before those two
----
is not bold enough
12.03.2010 - 23:14
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Ordered this album along with Ahab's new release. My first of extreme doom albums, I'm curious.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln

Hits total: 12536 | This month: 25