Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

24.06.2006 - 23:58
HellRaiz0r
Account deleted
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
25.06.2006 - 00:00
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Hey a new thread.

Not too difficult, I like it. For the same reasons as you. It fits.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.06.2006 - 00:03
HellRaiz0r
Account deleted
you remember the first song you listened? how was the feeling?
25.06.2006 - 00:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Hmm. I think that was Mayhem-Funeral Moon.. from DMDS..

I can't recall what it was like, the first time.. I believe.. wtf is this? I didn't like it at first, but I kept listening to till it hooked me..

The future of BM will be good, if all those retarded 'true' guys will find a new hobby.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.06.2006 - 03:52
Daru Jericho
I remember the first BM song I listened to. It was Burzum's 'Lost Wisdom' and it was an excellent song. From then on, I explored Burzum and fell in love.

The main reason I listen to BM is the atmosphere it creates. Agonising to the extremes with hints of sorrow and anger. Unfortunately, not every BM band carries a decent atmosphere. However, there are other reasons to listen to the genre.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

25.06.2006 - 07:11
Trifixion
Account deleted
Hmm I remember the first BM song I heard was actually Rape Humanity With Pride by Mayhem off of Chimera. And by God I listened to that song a rediculous amount of times I loved it. It's history from there and Mayhem today remains my favorite BM band. Only I'm not too much of a fan of Chimera anymore though it's not bad by any means. I think BM has the highest level of emotion, feeling, etc. out of all metal genres. My 2nd favorite genre only to Death
25.06.2006 - 07:12
Mega-Slayer
Well cuz it so dark and satanic(most of the times).Its nice to take a break from death and thrash metal,and put on some depressive music .Alot of black metal is almost like fantasy,for instance when I hear Dissection it takes me into another world of fantasy and evil.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
25.06.2006 - 12:56
Damnated
Churchburner
I just like it it is so beautifully extreme, that I just can't get enough of it.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
25.06.2006 - 13:29
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
why? the aggression, the atmosphere, the creativity (for those bands willing to explore)...

first song... hell, depends upon what you consider to be proper BM.

I read about it in Metal Maniacs as far back as 1993, but couldn't get past the cheesy corpse-paint imagery at the time (I will, til this day, shake my head and agree that for actual onstage theatrics, it works - but running around LARPing and aping for pictures it's pretty cheesy).

I bought Samael's "Passage" in the late 90's... I popped it on and hit repeat while completely drunk after an afternoon party one day... I woke up after dusk (one of those situations where you are not sure if you woke up that night or the next morning and are completely disoriented) and it was the most evil thing I'd ever heard - I was god damned TERRIFIED... and I had been listening to Slayer for a decade and DM for a good 6-7 years at that point. The only thing I had ever heard that had evoked that type of emotional response was 'Plague Mass' by Diamanda Gals (get it if you can find it. She is so downright creepy, evil, blasphemic that she SHAMES all but the most hearty and artistic of BM bands)...

(The cover to the live recording of "plague mass" for those of you bold and daring enough to try it)

Although, "Passage" probably wouldn't qualify as "tr00" to most of you.

First actual BM track - Darkthrone's "Triumphant Gleam" off 'Panzerfaust' - and I thought at the time (and still do, at times, to this day) that Nocturno Culto sounds like freaking Krusty the Clown off the Simpsons. Not the stage clown, but the backstage, martini in one hand, cigar in the other Krusty. Listen to Krusty mutter "Uggggghhhhh" one time and play it against Darkthrone and you will fully understand.

The band that kicked the door in for me was Immortal with "One by One" - the opening track (and the entirety of) 'Sons of Northern Darkness' was what really blew past my skepticism regarding the image and helped me appreciate the art form for what it was.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.06.2006 - 15:38
HellRaiz0r
Account deleted
'Plague Mass' by Diamanda Gals. I'm gonna check this out
26.06.2006 - 03:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 25.06.2006 at 15:38

'Plague Mass' by Diamanda Gals. I'm gonna check this out

She performed it in a cathedral - recorded live - with her at the pulpit, stripped from the waist up and covered in oil that looked like blood. The performance is about the AIDS epidemic at the time... her brother died and she kind of, well, took it hard (to say it nicely)

Before you consider buying, check out samples here:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1165422/a/Plague+Mass.htm

Just the first four clips, "there are no more tickets to the funeral", "This Is The Law Of The Plague", "I Wake Up And I See The Face Of The Devil" and "Confessional (Give Me Sodomy Or Give Me Death)" gives you an idea.

You tube has no PlagueMass samples, but this also contains some of her vocal acrobatics that she intersplices with repeated, deep throated, poetic lyrics.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=epoHB_yZ1uU&search=diamanda%20galas

(the Two Excerpts From Eyes without Blood clip, if it doesn't automatically link it.)

Now imagine that for an unrelenting fifty-odd straight minutes.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.06.2006 - 07:00
Zombie, M.D.
I listen to black metal because I like it when the cold winds of the necrofjords blow through my ear canal.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
26.06.2006 - 07:31
Stigmatized
I don't. I'm starting to think I may be the only person on the planet who doesn't listen to Black Metal. The only BM I can say I enjoy from time to time is Dimmu Borgir's first two albums.
26.06.2006 - 10:13
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 26.06.2006 at 07:00

I listen to black metal because I like it when the cold winds of the necrofjords blow through my ear canal.

':lmao:')
26.06.2006 - 11:06
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"I don't. I'm starting to think I may be the only person on the planet who doesn't listen to Black Metal. The only BM I can say I enjoy from time to time is Dimmu Borgir's first two albums. "

Thats fair enough. What is it that you dont like about it?
26.06.2006 - 14:33
HellRaiz0r
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.06.2006 at 11:06

"I don't. I'm starting to think I may be the only person on the planet who doesn't listen to Black Metal. The only BM I can say I enjoy from time to time is Dimmu Borgir's first two albums. "

I Like For all tid and stormblast a lot, after this 2 albuns i don't like dimmu that much.
26.06.2006 - 15:04
Stigmatized

There's just something about it. The lyrical content used to bug me a lot, but I eventually got over that. BM tends to have bad production and most of it ends up sounding the same to me. It seems a lot of the originality that the genre had is gone, replaced by re-hash albums being released over and over again.
26.06.2006 - 17:12
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
this question gets asked a lot and i don't really understand it. i mean, i think this is the third thread asking why people listen to black metal ive seen on MS in my time.

all i can say is "why listen to any type of music?". there isn't any reason that i like the music that i like apart from the fact it sounds good. i know that the subject of ideology comes up a lot more than with other genres and there is a sense of rebellion and coolness assocaited with it, but its still just about the music to me. There isn't any specific characteristic of black metal that means that i listen to it more than any other genre.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
26.06.2006 - 17:14
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Stigmatized on 26.06.2006 at 15:04

There's just something about it. The lyrical content used to bug me a lot, but I eventually got over that. BM tends to have bad production and most of it ends up sounding the same to me. It seems a lot of the originality that the genre had is gone, replaced by re-hash albums being released over and over again.

Nah, there are quite few bands that have a bad production (forrest). Most of them have a decent, garage or basement production, and offcourse, there are the rich BM bands, who record in the studio.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
26.06.2006 - 21:25
danzig111
Account deleted
I listen to it when i'm in a grim, miserable or manic-depressive mood......it just fits those sorts ov moods. Yeah....it's cool to take a break from Power Metal and Folk/Viking Metal (which is what i listen to most ov the time).

Black Metal was my favourite genre this time last year......but my life is different from how it was, therefore different emotions.
26.06.2006 - 23:46
Warman
Erotic Stains
Black metal is such a cool metal style ... don't really know what got me into to it but right know I am really in to Gorgoroth. The best thing about Black metal is the evil atmosphere and that is what keeps me continuing to listen to it.
----
27.06.2006 - 00:01
Linak
I Own You Bitch
My major reason is the atmosphere, black metal has a unique dark atmosphere that cannot be battled by any other genre, that's it I think... about the first black metal song I heard, well I can't go back all that way cause honestly I cannot remember, but Immortal was my first black metal band, the one that really got me into it, and it was such a long time ago, I honestly wish they would come back, but not as in release anohter album cause that would screw things up... maybe another tour? lol cause I got si pissed that I missed their concerts in Mexico.. you have no idea..
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
27.06.2006 - 00:04
Dam3k
Well nothing special I just downloaded a dvd of some gothic stuff and was a Dimmu Borgir song "Entrance" it was the first and I liked it... later I saw that black metal scene is full of crap so didn't get into them at all... =) the few times I listen to some black metal stuff is because I like the instrumental part or whatever but the unique black metal bands I listen to are Dimmu Borgir and Ensiferum... and due to that cause... I tried with some others like Burzum, Cradle of Filth, Behemut... and so... but the instrumental part didn't convice me. Nevertheless, I like the avant-garde black metal with clean vocals like Arcturus and so on...
----

27.06.2006 - 02:01
Mega-Slayer
It might sound lame to you guys,but another thing I enjoy about black metal is the cover art its all ways breathtaking artwork,more so than any other genre.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
27.06.2006 - 09:25
Endoftherainbow
The first Black Metal song that I ever heard that got me into Black Metal was Spellbound by the Devil by Dimmu Borgir I thought they Corpse Paint was hillarious and how seriously they seem to take themselves to be all grim but the music was awsome and I really liked the atmosphere of it all and the keyboards I love choir ahs My favorite aspect of Black Metal aside from the choir ahs though is the drumming. I like oldschool Black Metal though mostly like Celtic Frost, Venom, Bathory, and Mayhem. But my favorite Black Metal bands are Immortal and Old Mans Child. I don't know if Behemoth is Black Metal or not but I really like them to and I can't wait to see them next week... I guess their blackend death?
27.06.2006 - 12:54
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Mega-Slayer on 27.06.2006 at 02:01

It might sound lame to you guys,but another thing I enjoy about black metal is the cover art its all ways breathtaking artwork,more so than any other genre.

It's not lame at all, I myself often google the web just to find a cover for an album. I also enjoy the band logos.
----

27.06.2006 - 14:49
HellRaiz0r
Account deleted
Written by Endoftherainbow on 27.06.2006 at 09:25

The first Black Metal song that I ever heard that got me into Black Metal was Spellbound by the Devil by Dimmu Borgir I thought they Corpse Paint was hillarious and how seriously they seem to take themselves to be all grim but the music was awsome and I really liked the atmosphere of it all and the keyboards I love choir ahs My favorite aspect of Black Metal aside from the choir ahs though is the drumming. I like oldschool Black Metal though mostly like Celtic Frost, Venom, Bathory, and Mayhem. But my favorite Black Metal bands are Immortal and Old Mans Child. I don't know if Behemoth is Black Metal or not but I really like them to and I can't wait to see them next week... I guess their blackend death?

I'm not sure but i think behemoth was originaly black metal but now they are black\death, i don't know behemoth well.
27.06.2006 - 15:00
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Behemoth used to be Black Metal, they turned Black/Death with their release of Pandemonic Incantations, and with their last release (Demigod) they are Death Metal. Though they still have a little bit (very little) of Black Metal in them.. also live Corpse Paint..
----

27.06.2006 - 19:11
Invoked
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 27.06.2006 at 15:00

Behemoth used to be Black Metal, they turned Black/Death with their release of Pandemonic Incantations, and with their last release (Demigod) they are Death Metal. Though they still have a little bit (very little) of Black Metal in them.. also live Corpse Paint..

What I like about Behemoth is that although they changed and evolved into a very different sound (compare Demigod to From the Pagan Vastlands), they never released a weak album that sounded like a confused bunch of Poles trying to figure out their sound. Every single Behemoth release is excellent, whether black, death or any of their variations/combinations.

Back to the main topic...I enjoy listening to black metal late at night (particularly in the stereotypical wintery forest under the full moon). I believe it was Varg Vikernes who came up with the idea that the ideal time to hear black metal is nighttime (especially is the case of his own project, Burzum). Prancing about in the woods at night while blasting "Blaze in the Northen Sky" or "Pentagram" allows me to nefariously masturbate on the unholy inverted tracks of the Grim And Frosbitten Necrobobsledders. Sometimes, black metal is also good if you feel like inducing self-punishment or need help waking up in the morning. Ulver can be used for all previously stated reasons, "Bergtatt" for the former and "Madrigal" for the latter.
27.06.2006 - 22:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yes, that's well put. I wonder how a bunch of Poles trying to find their sound would actually sound like.
----