Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
08.08.2016 - 04:22
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I don't know
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
08.08.2016 - 04:28
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Varg threatened to stab me if I don't.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
09.08.2016 - 08:38
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Guest on 08.08.2016 at 01:08

I just listen to it because kvlt

Especially dsbm.
10.08.2016 - 04:59
Y
Damn brothers , u just dnt give a damn about what music mean to anyone , fighting for ur own idea and own taste is good but we are here under of something named METAL , DAMN !!! GIVE A LITTLE RESPECT FOR EVERYONE THAT GIVE HE'S TIME TO SOMETHING HE LOVE.
----
15.08.2016 - 15:09
Metren
Dreadrealm
I've been trying to come to this thread and write a post worthy of my favorite sub-genre for like a year now, but it is so difficult. Black metal, especially atmospheric black metal is something I love more than life itself, but I don't know if I can adequately explain why.

Black metal is raw, I like that. I like that often you have to look past poor production to grasp the ideas in the songwriting. I guess this actually helps get into the music better and once a person gets used to the rawness, it becomes almost addicting in a way. I think the fact that bm doesn't get polished much after recording also makes it a more accurate musical translation of the emotions and thoughts that inspired it. For me this helps connect with the music on a deeper, more personal level than with genres that require perfect production. To use a sexy as hell analogy: a supermodel with perfect make-up and perfect hair and perfect everything on the catwalk is never as hot as a woman with the exact same physique, who has just stepped out of the sauna, all wet and with messy hair. So yeah, black metal is sexy as well, apparently.

Black metal is also dark (obviously) and I like that too. The dark, sinister, often melancholic or just downright sad moods it evokes are like an excorcism. This is also why I myself try to create atmospheric bm, it helps cope with the inner darkness and rather than increase it, it actually relieves it and makes me a happier, healthier person.

Black metal can be produced by pretty much anyone from their own homes. This makes it a huge dumpster-genre for beginners such as myself of course, but it also makes it a genre filled with loads and loads of potential for something interesting. I don't mean to bash other people's favorite genres, but power metal for example in my view absolutely does not offer anything even remotely as interesting as bm bands do and couldn't if it tried.

Vocals. Whether epic screams and shrieks or pathetic whiny whispers like my vocals, bm vocals are always enjoyable in my ears. It's the same with death metal vocals, the fact that there is pretty much no actual melody in the vocals is both a disadvantage, but also an advantage I think. It forces the more creative and better black metal bands and songwriters to come up with interesting rhythms for the vocals, often bm vocals complement the music and the rhythm department much better than conventional clean vocals do. The "hear them cry, watch them fly" in Enslaved's "The Beacon" is a good example of this. Imagine the same words sang with any conventonal melody, it would be very boring compared to growls.

I guess the overall sounds and techniques of bm are also why I love it and in the end of course, that's just my taste. I love bm and I can't help it.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
04.09.2016 - 21:21
I got into metal when I was in high school, I was 15 I believe....I love all subgenres of metal, but, black metal is one of my favorites....I started off with bands like Metallica and my favorite bands now are: COF, Draconian, MoonSpell, Paradise Lost and so on...Metal helps me to relax and I love that it is so dark...it also helps me calm down when I am pissed off about something....:banger2:
05.09.2016 - 00:46
I suppose they don't, I was getting a little carried away I guess when I was listing my favorite bands...OOPS!!! 8-]]
17.12.2016 - 22:50
Capt. Fluntas
Black metal creates a really unique atmosphere, like no other genre is capable of. I mean stuff like Emperor, Burzum and Dark Throne but also Negura Bunget, Enslaved and others. There are just loads of bands that I don't like that just play really fast and chaotic and it doesn't have the atmosphere I'm looking for. So you gotta look for the good stuff.
----
Life is one big meme.
20.12.2016 - 02:26
DoomGuild
Account deleted
I grew up on it in the 90s. Grew apart from it for a very long time. The majority of black metal is shit. There's maybe 15% of BM that's actually worth listening to. Most is just cookie cutter recycled bullshit. This new year of BM gave me faith in it.
20.12.2016 - 16:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 20.12.2016 at 02:26

The majority of black metal is shit. There's maybe 15% of BM that's actually worth listening to. Most is just cookie cutter recycled bullshit.

Just like with any other subgenre of metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.12.2016 - 19:02
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.12.2016 at 16:54

The majority of black metal is shit. There's maybe 15% of BM that's actually worth listening to. Most is just cookie cutter recycled bullshit.

about 9% worth to discover
20.12.2016 - 22:21
Mik
Account deleted

I grew up on it in the 90s. Grew apart from it forb a very long time. The majority of black metal is shit. There's maybe 15% of BM that's actually worth listening to. Most is just cookie cutter recycled bullshit. This new year of BM gave me faith in it.

Strange you see it that way, as its probably the most diverse genre in metal and actually one of the few with a good future. Also, recycled bullshit is a bit harsh considering that many black metal bands sound nothing alike. Maybe you have just listened to the wrong bands?
21.12.2016 - 05:01
DoomGuild
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.12.2016 at 22:21

I grew up on it in the 90s. Grew apart from it forb a very long time. The majority of black metal is shit. There's maybe 15% of BM that's actually worth listening to. Most is just cookie cutter recycled bullshit. This new year of BM gave me faith in it.

Strange you see it that way, as its probably the most diverse genre in metal and actually one of the few with a good future. Also, recycled bullshit is a bit harsh considering that many black metal bands sound nothing alike. Maybe you have just listened to the wrong bands?

Most is recycled. If I have to hear another Watain copy band i'll go crazy. I listen to all kinds of black metal from Peste Noire to Urfaust....Wolfkrieg to Vermin Womb but it a whole handful of it just doesn't appeal to me. Why? Because bands do the same style over and over again.

That's why i'm stoked on 2016 as the year in black metal. This new year spawned so many damn good release that it actually lays out some hope for the future of the genre. It was looking pretty depressing for a while there.
21.12.2016 - 08:28
Mik
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.12.2016 at 05:01

Most is recycled. If I have to hear another Watain copy band i'll go crazy. I listen to all kinds of black metal from Peste Noire to Urfaust....Wolfkrieg to Vermin Womb but it a whole handful of it just doesn't appeal to me. Why? Because bands do the same style over and over again.

That's why i'm stoked on 2016 as the year in black metal. This new year spawned so many damn good release that it actually lays out some hope for the future of the genre. It was looking pretty depressing for a while there.

I understand your sentiment but to be honest, that can be said about pretty much any genre. Black and death metal are the only ones in metal where I'm optimistic about their future. Altough a couple of genres can surprise me sometimes like heavy metal or progressive metal. Regardless, its a lot better in variety than melodic death or fucking thrash
21.12.2016 - 18:01
DoomGuild
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.12.2016 at 08:28

Written by Guest on 21.12.2016 at 05:01

I understand your sentiment but to be honest, that can be said about pretty much any genre. Black and death metal are the only ones in metal where I'm optimistic about their future. Altough a couple of genres can surprise me sometimes like heavy metal or progressive metal. Regardless, its a lot better in variety than melodic death or fucking thrash

It really can. But black metal just seems like something that's been stuck in a rut for many years. Nothing fresh that would make someone say "Whoa I need to listen to more black metal". Well until this year at least.

Death metal is the same way. Tech death has taken over but I find it to be bloody boring. They just need some fresh blood.

Which is why i'm stoked on all this new spawn coming out of the doom and sludge field of things. Holly shit is that genre progressing. Luckily it's bringing in a ton of mixed genre black metal bands. 2016 was just a good year for metal in general.
26.12.2016 - 23:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

I grew up on it in the 90s. Grew apart from it for a very long time. The majority of black metal is shit. There's maybe 15% of BM that's actually worth listening to. Most is just cookie cutter recycled bullshit. This new year of BM gave me faith in it.

I agree and non of those who os in 15% sings about st, ann and such bullshit, never became essential and stuck whit most of ppl .,...
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.07.2017 - 04:50
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw

QFT

People seem to forget that pretty much ANY genre of music is filled with copycat bands that all sound the same. Hell, a new sound becomes a genre when enough groups start doing the same thing and solidify the style as something distinct. As far as I can tell, any genre gets its fair share of stale, trite bullshit when it has had enough time to develop.
----
17.07.2017 - 01:38
I listen to Black Metal because of music like the new Nargaroth, 'Era of Threnody.'
This is the best Metal album I've heard since Mayhem 'Esoteric Warfare.'
04.08.2017 - 16:48
Julius666
I found behemoth in a youtube video about evil bands or something, I listened to demigod and I thought it was super cool and they looked totally badass, from there I found Darkthrone, Mayhem and Thorns and from there I've just loved the genre.
----
hipster kid
07.08.2017 - 22:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well, weather, winter, snow, eternal darkness, midnight sun, nature, autumn rain, summer rain and all nature things,. also depression, true BM is like journey, it has atmosphere if you hold CD, booklet, you can follow it and let it go, simply let it go, all shit what live offers you and what sucks, suicide, or BM, I chose BM, and don't give up, fight to survive. All negative factors of life even this is why I listen to music generally. You can leave this world, stay in own fantasies. Let it go, get energy and emotions to get back in real life. I hardly listen st. ann bands in BM,
Something what DerRoz wrote in his reviews
----

apos;'
[image]
11.08.2017 - 06:01
VIG
Account deleted

QFT
24.08.2017 - 13:38
Bobarogus
Black for me is just (potentially) the craziest\ evil\ atmospheric dark music while still musically complex at least from a guitarist prespective
i know a lot of people love black without the need of interesting music just evil or cavy
19.09.2017 - 19:15
darkthrone
I ahve always loved black metal i guess its the atmosphere and the minor chords i just like the style of it i guess
25.09.2017 - 13:00
Blasphemonk
I was strictly death metal until I was reading a review in a magazine back in 1993,I forget the album being reviewed but the reviewer was saying that it was one of the best releases of that year along with "Under A Funeral Moon" by the mighty Darkthrone,I had never heard of them at that point so I decided to buy the album and see what the fuss was all about.I didn't really like it except for " To walk the infernal fields" which I really liked,the Lo fi sound was alien to my death metal ears and the vocals didn't sound like Cookie Monster which was heresy back then,anyway I didn't listen to it for about a year and and my taste got darker,there was something about the corpse paint etc that was so different back then,anyway I listened to it again and loved it and still do,it's my favourite black metal album and the blueprint for real black metal IMHO. \m/
28.09.2017 - 23:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Blasphemonk on 25.09.2017 at 13:00

I was strictly death metal until I was reading a review in a magazine back in 1993,I forget the album being reviewed but the reviewer was saying that it was one of the best releases of that year along with "Under A Funeral Moon" by the mighty Darkthrone,I had never heard of them at that point so I decided to buy the album and see what the fuss was all about.I didn't really like it except for " To walk the infernal fields" which I really liked,the Lo fi sound was alien to my death metal ears and the vocals didn't sound like Cookie Monster which was heresy back then,anyway I didn't listen to it for about a year and and my taste got darker,there was something about the corpse paint etc that was so different back then,anyway I listened to it again and loved it and still do,it's my favourite black metal album and the blueprint for real black metal IMHO. \m/

Well after all MTV, VH1 and all beginner era end whit bands as Ac/Dc, Nirvama, Judas Priest, maiden and all beginner staff, 1th extreme band I found out was Cannibal Corpse, Death, and few other DM bands as I was maybe 17. In beginning I liked dm, then at age 19 I discovered BM radio, and I still was more DM fan, but at age 23 somehow,I found out DM is nothing special, BM was more as destiny, journey, place to be, because nature I live in. Then I liked DM but prefer BM, HM, DM, TM, nowadays I hardly listen DM, DM must be joung man game, houng band whit good master and mix in studio. Nowadays I can enjoy DM classics, fropm late 80'a, early 90's but genre don't mean much to me.
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2017 - 14:54
Big-Al
Started to finally listen to black metal while I was living in Canada, during the winter, went perfectly with the snow.
----

I drink moosepiss
02.10.2017 - 09:47
BetulaObscura
What makes me to listen BM?
Simply: awesome relations between music, melodies (beauty) and rawness, darkness (chaos) elements. Those specific proportions make one of a kind harmony. This is why BM is so absorbing.
My first BM album was Ulver - "Bergtatt".
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
19.11.2017 - 14:09
AdoMuses
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2bwOjimyIg&t=50s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2pQxWNASjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kisY5Fsndwc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tG6X-3fZkc&t=11s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhY43kQcdQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7VARPr8gxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtVd6mxtJ-w