Finntroll
Eluveitie
Turisas
Elvenking

Total votes: 427
27.07.2008 - 06:18
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I recently got interested in Folk Metal and I like it more an more. At first, I thought Finntroll was about the only Folk Metal band and that it was a marginal and widely unknown genre, but I soon realized Folk Metal bands are many, hailing from a lot of countries, ready to sing or scream the legends of their homeland. I only know half the bands I mentioned above and I'd like you to tell me which one you like the most and help me separating original and innovating ones from tasteless copycats...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
27.07.2008 - 08:04
selken
Irreligious
It depends on the bands mood, for epic folk I prefer Thyrfing, for the spirit of popular folk music I'd say Korpiklaani xD
----
27.07.2008 - 13:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Other, Czceh band Beltaina, Lithianian bands Angis and Antigone, greek band ΔΑΙΜΟΝΙΑ ΝΥΜΦΗ and many others, like ASrkona, Lortd Wind, Ulver(onbe accustic albuym), Carved in Stone and many others not so overated bands but from list
AGGALOCH even its not real folk, seems you dont know that band good
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.07.2008 - 13:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Moved to the Metal Arena.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.07.2008 - 14:00
Kasper

Out of those in the poll, I'd say: Ensiferum. I enjoy them the most, and it's the first folk metal band I've heard since I started listening to metal.
----
"An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded"
27.07.2008 - 18:24
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Personnally, I don't even consider Ensiferum as Folk Metal... They sound more like some "Extreme" Power Metal to me. They sound like a more "Power Metalish" version of Norther. I guess it's got something to do with Norther's Petri Lindroos being their frontman for a few years now... From those I know in the list (Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Finntroll, Korpiklaani and Turisas), I'd say Equilibrium is the most folkloric one, being entirely in German, using sound effects and traditionnal intruments. Turisas, even though they somehow sound as Folk as Power (some call them Battle Metal... ridiculous) surprised me with their extensive use of symphonic elements. Their last abum, Th Varangian Way, is really epic, symphonic, but still folk to the bone (it lacks Finnish lyrics, however). So I'd say my favourite above is Equilibrium (even though I can't find Sagas grrrr...), with a special mention to Turisas. But I still have to discover the other ones...

Thanks, Kariasakis7, it's great to know folk metal bands from all around the world. I love finnish metal, but you get tired of it, after a time...
----
27.07.2008 - 18:36
totaliteraliter

The only band in the poll I'm marginally interested in is Finntroll. Ensiferum is total crap, Aggalloch doesn't compare well if you consider them as a metal band, and the rest kind of blend together too much for me to listen to them extensively or even have a strong opinion one way or the other. I much prefer early Enslaved, Skyclad, Bathory, Во Скорбях, Graveland, Iuvenes, The Meads of Asphodel, Русич, Venedae, SIG:AR:TYR, Nokturnal Mortum, etc... basically beyond a few classics I think the Scandinavian scene is the worst when it comes to folk metal, it's been done to death and has become far too standardized and streamlined in most of the more popular cases. Give me a random underground Russian pagan metal act over Korpiklaani any day.
27.07.2008 - 19:44
Øyvind
Grave Digger
I voted for Korpiklaani, although I consider most of these bands to be among my favourites. I agree that Ensiferum is not classic folk metal, I'd even describe Equilibrium (please don't kill me) as a bit more metal than folk, probably because I'm used to Korpiklaani and Finntroll sound. Also I'd like to mention Pagan Reign as a fine folk band from Russia, their album Tverd (Твердь) is great.
----
27.07.2008 - 21:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Finntroll hands down, very good and funny band =)
And their troll-feeling is just awesome
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.07.2008 - 21:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like Slavic people post tahy always mention some bands what others wont , liek Aronax does sometimes and now Oyvind realy read slavic people post in folk metal contest
----

apos;'
[image]
28.07.2008 - 09:12
Abattoir

I have voted for Equilibrium, although I support also the other great bands: Eluveitie, Ensiferum, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Arkona...But the great influences of a last Equilibrium album ''Sagas'', has made my decision like this.
28.07.2008 - 18:43
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I've listened to Eluveitie yesterday and today and I must admit they're awesome. They really sound like Gothenburg metal with bagpipes and violin. I agree with Oyvind about Korpiklaani being more folk than Equilibrium musically, but not thematically. Extreme Folk, with deathgrunt and double-bass drum, has become very common and there's nothing original in it. At least a million Viking Metal bands hail from Scandinavia and that sound has lost all originality... But those bands who manage to stand out of the crowd are the ones who include influences from other subgenres, like Eluveitie (Gothenburg elements) or Korpiklaani (shamanic folk music). I'll have to listen to Pagan Reign. I've been looking for Russian Metal for ages.
----
28.07.2008 - 18:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i think i cant decide between Turisas, Ensiferum and Moonsorrow...and many more great folk metal bands...

and i think Agalloch doesnt fit to this choice between Finntroll and Korpiklaani to well - their music is really different from those imho
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.07.2008 - 19:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 28.07.2008 at 18:54

and i think Agalloch doesnt fit to this choice

Thats what I sad here some post before and are there any good Folk bands in Slovakia? something like Beltaine, some simmilar band?
----

apos;'
[image]
28.07.2008 - 20:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

and i think Agalloch doesnt fit to this choice between Finntroll and Korpiklaani to well - their music is really different from those imho

Yes it is different but folk metal nonetheless (especially on The White ep) and also far superior to any of the bands mentioned in the poll.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2008 - 21:27
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
2K7 : try for example Hromovlad and their album called "Ohňa Hlad, Vody Chlad" (Hunger of the fire, cold of the water)
----

28.07.2008 - 21:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 28.07.2008 at 21:27

2K7 : try for example Hromovlad and their album called "Ohňa Hlad, Vody Chlad" (Hunger of the fire, cold of the water)

Thank's sounds interesting
Gonna try them out

PS Ohna Hlad - never would guess it mens hunger of the fire
----

apos;'
[image]
28.07.2008 - 22:14
Macedonia
Account deleted
I voted for Korpiklaani but I think Arkona deserve to be on this list.
28.07.2008 - 22:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 28.07.2008 at 22:14

I voted for Korpiklaani but I think Arkona deserve to be on this list.

Thay deserves but thay arnt overated like some finsih bands so thats whay thay are no here
----

apos;'
[image]
28.07.2008 - 23:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
Månegarm of course. Great live band and has always evolved their music a little with every release. From agressive to more melodic (even a pure Folk Music EP). The choruses are amazing and awesome to sing along too live. Nice lyrics in Swedish too.
----
29.07.2008 - 00:14
Torelli

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2008 at 20:06

Yes it is different but folk metal nonetheless (especially on The White ep) and also far superior to any of the bands mentioned in the poll.

What kind of folk are we talking about? I admit I've a hard time to find the "folk" part in their music...great band nevertheless.
29.07.2008 - 01:46
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Bad English on 28.07.2008 at 21:37

"Oheň" is fire (the form "Ohna" is the 2nd case)
"Hlad" is hunger

----

29.07.2008 - 01:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 29.07.2008 at 01:46

Written by Bad English on 28.07.2008 at 21:37

"Oheň" is fire (the form "Ohna" is the 2nd case)
"Hlad" is hunger

Ohna well now after thinking I get it but hlad it more sounds like freezing for me ...

----

apos;'
[image]
29.07.2008 - 05:55
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Ensiferum, btu IMO In Extremo should be on this poll.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
03.08.2008 - 21:38
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 29.07.2008 at 05:55

Ensiferum, but IMO In Extremo should be on this poll.

Aha, yes. In Extremo, Tanzwut and Subway to Sally are bands which could take part in this poll. I like Celtic-Fol Metal more than Viking-Folk Metal. Of course in Viking-Folk metal bands Moonsorrow is my favorite band through these bands.
06.08.2008 - 11:26
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Trollfest anyone? they rock

anyway my favorite is Moonsorrow they are so versatile sometimes sad sometimes happy out of this world
----
Stay Metal !!!
06.08.2008 - 20:13
VPeter

Aggalloch
Aggalloch is Aggalloch and they are hard to put in a genre they mix Folk, Doom, Dark and many other elements in their music.
Still awesome and worthy to check out

Korpiklaani
Ideal live band, alltough releasing the same album every year can be pretty boring - you can never go wrong with their happy belnd of Folk metal. Shaman the previous band before Korpiklaani is way diffirent but you also should check that one out.

Ensiferum
They are quite generic and overated in my opinion, nice for catchy songs but a bad overall build up.

Eqilibrium
A rip-off of the German Folk metal scene, but their latest one Saga's is pretty good and erase a lot of the downpoints of the debut.

Finntroll
behind their Trollish image there is a lot of depth in their music. all of there era's are worth checking out.

Moonsorrow
they began as a normal Folk metal outfit and slowly developed to an epic folk metal band which is pretty hard to get used to and their latest albums are turing more towards the viking/black metal side then Folk.

Eluveitie
great melodic death combined with Celtic folk.

Elvenking
horrible cheesy power folk, who now try to atempt at sounding darker to apeal more fans avoid and try Wuthering Heights instead.

Turisas
finnish folk metal with epic kebaords it works well eventough that Rasputin cover is pretty bad.
06.08.2008 - 20:49
Warman
Erotic Stains
From the list I probably have to go with Turisas though. Maybe Ensiferum is better, but I can't imagine them being a better live band than Turisas. Amazing stage presence and the sound is much more majestic.
----
08.08.2008 - 16:22
HugeTheConqeror

It really was kind of a tie for me between Finntroll and Korpiklaani. I really enjoy both of them, and I like that Korpiklaani creates its sound using traditional instruments. However, I voted for Finntroll, since I saw them live last year and really enjoyed their performance.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
08.08.2008 - 17:45
havoheJ
Account deleted
I choose Moonsorrow, because they´ve got many various influenced Folk Metal albums and pretty damn long songs on the other side.

Greetings havoheJ