Metal Storm logo
The best Folk Metal band

Original post

Posted by MétalNoir, 27.07.2008 - 06:18
I recently got interested in Folk Metal and I like it more an more. At first, I thought Finntroll was about the only Folk Metal band and that it was a marginal and widely unknown genre, but I soon realized Folk Metal bands are many, hailing from a lot of countries, ready to sing or scream the legends of their homeland. I only know half the bands I mentioned above and I'd like you to tell me which one you like the most and help me separating original and innovating ones from tasteless copycats...

Poll

Which Folk Metal band do you prefer?

Ensiferum
Aggalloch
Moonsorrow
Korpiklaani
Eqilibrium
Finntroll
Eluveitie
Turisas
Elvenking

Total votes: 427
23.11.2008 - 01:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by benvolent on 23.11.2008 at 01:07

By the way: I also miss Skyforger, which do quite special stuff, with all these ancient warchants and weird instruments.. well, ok, thats not so special in the folk-scene, but I just like them.

Concerning Windir: I admit that this is good music, but I really can't stand its synth-sound (+ drumcomputer? baaaad thing!). Or is that just the bad mp3-quality of the tracks of his homepage?!

I agree whit Skyforger but windir was black metal band, even there is folk elemnts into lyrics, music, album covers it was black metal ,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.11.2008 - 01:30
benvolent
Ok, everyday something new to learn... but anyway, the sound is shitty, isn't it?!
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
26.11.2008 - 11:14
Sacred Viking
I love Ensiferum and Korpiklaani but i think moonsorrow is the best folk metal band :p
01.12.2008 - 07:22
Lehctim
It really depends on the mood I'm in, and also which bands you include in folk metal, but overall I would say Ensiferum. I would definitely suggest you check out Falkenbach, Windir, Runic, and Forefather as well. (Yea, some of them aren't exactly "pure" folk metal, whatever that means, but it doesn't matter.)
04.12.2008 - 21:04
Sandarameth
Account deleted
Aaaaa!! who opened this topic??? i hate you??? i've never seen such haaard question..i won't vote..korpiklaaani, eluveitie, moonsorrow, finntroll..i love this bands..i can't make choice between them
09.12.2008 - 17:36
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Daggon on 21.11.2008 at 05:19

Mmm don't know, every band here is great, but my vote is for Turisas, great music indeed, makes me feel epic jeje, but hey, where is Orphaned Land? that kind of folke deserves to be mentioned, also Týr, man, I always think that this guys are really underrated.

Tyr are overrated? Oh, I thought they were just plainly boring. Honestly, they sound like a mix between Opeth and... something even more boring...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
14.12.2008 - 21:57
kanho
Account deleted
Really all are great bands,but i think that now in this moment,ensiferum rules..maybe moonsorrow in voimasta ja kunniasta...well all greats band,finntroll is amazing too.
27.01.2009 - 10:28
giok99
Just discover this style of music, and my favorites are Dalriada from Hungary and Equilibrium. Great stuff
----
Nothing is real
28.01.2009 - 23:01
ForeverDarkWoods
Agalloch is my personal favourite out of these. If I had other choices, I'd go for Nokturnal Mortum or Skyforger.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
29.01.2009 - 18:35
Janne
Hugin
Written by giok99 on 27.01.2009 at 10:28

Just discover this style of music, and my favorites are Dalriada from Hungary and Equilibrium. Great stuff

Thanks, you're the man!
Do you think these two bands are similar? It just came to my mind some days ago though I know them for quite a long time..
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
29.01.2009 - 18:53
giok99
Written by Janne on 29.01.2009 at 18:35

Thanks, you're the man!
Do you think these two bands are similar? It just came to my mind some days ago though I know them for quite a long time..

Not really the same type of vocal between Dalriada and Equilibrium, but i feel the same epicness and the same folk melody in their music.

I must admit that I prefer the vocal of Dalriada (Prefer Clean voices) . But despite the vocal of Equilibrium, their music is so good that i can go over.

I listen also to Empyrium, Ensiferum, Moonsorrow and Turisas. Just discover Alestorm
----
Nothing is real
29.01.2009 - 21:45
Janne
Hugin
Written by giok99 on 29.01.2009 at 18:53

Written by Janne on 29.01.2009 at 18:35

Thanks, you're the man!

Not really the same type of vocal between Dalriada and Equilibrium, but i feel the same epicness and the same folk melody in their music.

I must admit that I prefer the vocal of Dalriada (Prefer Clean voices) . But despite the vocal of Equilibrium, their music is so good that i can go over.

I listen also to Empyrium, Ensiferum, Moonsorrow and Turisas. Just discover Alestorm

Of course, I wasn't thinking of the vocals.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
29.01.2009 - 23:59
Krankheit
Account deleted
Hmm, Agalloch. They have released three good albums. The music they create gives me sometimes this relaxing touch. The folklore inspiration and their lyrics also something they manage to create some good stuff out of.
31.01.2009 - 22:02
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I like my folk-metal balls to the wall! None of this birds-chirping wind-rustling nancy-boy bullshit...

So I went for Finntroll...especially due to Ur Jordens Djup
31.01.2009 - 22:23
bard
Although Finntroll has definitely served up their fair share of atmospheric forest sounds.
----
01.02.2009 - 01:41
Captain Renor
Account deleted
Im not really big on folk metal to be honest. But i really like the band Drudkh. Obviously off the beaten path, but great, epic music. Hailing from the Ukraine.
05.02.2009 - 02:07
Thrashard
Korpiklaani is the shit when it comes to drinking music.
05.02.2009 - 16:57
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I'll go at Paganfest in Montreal in April and I can wait to see Moonsorrow and Eluveitie! ^^ But I don't expect much from Korpiklaani, I just can't imagine myself moshing on such upbeat shamanish music...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
05.02.2009 - 19:34
DarkPsy
I love agalloch ....it's so simple and yet so melodic...
17.02.2009 - 09:45
Dragosani Kain
Agalloch was an instant favourite when a buddy and I were exchanging youtube links. Love the melodic sound and reminds me of Canadian Woods Of Ypres...though WoY sounds more like something Enslaved would do minus Vikings and more SNOW.
----
The Mob Rules!!!
17.02.2009 - 12:21
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by MétalNoir on 27.07.2008 at 18:24

You should really have put an 'Other' vote option, because there are other bands that are Folk, and some are even better than the ones you listed, like Orphaned Land or Skyclad (the originators of folk metal).

Written by Yossarian on 17.10.2008 at 10:24

I like very much Ensiferum, Eluveitie and Equilibrium as well, but my vote goes for Moonsorrow, since I considered that they make the perfect mixture between Folk and Metal. However, I prefer Skyclad most of all. My vote would go for them if they were here.

Same for me, Skyclad would get my vote.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
26.02.2009 - 00:59
Dominus
The Shooter
Eluveitie . Skyclad is a great band too!
01.03.2009 - 18:32
Nardy7
I only listen to Folk Metal once in a blue moon, but when I do, I usually listen to Finntroll, Alestorm, Elvenking, and StormWarrior. Pretty goods bands, if I must say so.
02.03.2009 - 15:34
Janne
Hugin
Written by Nardy7 on 01.03.2009 at 18:32

I only listen to Folk Metal once in a blue moon, but when I do, I usually listen to Finntroll, Alestorm, Elvenking, and StormWarrior. Pretty goods bands, if I must say so.

StormWarrior is not really folk metal.. there's nothing folk in their music except for the Viking themes in their lyrics!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
06.03.2009 - 12:57
Silent Jay
I wanna vote for Skyclad too ¬¬
26.04.2009 - 19:58
symbolic727
For me it is Agalloch there music touches me in a way no other band can.
26.04.2009 - 20:13
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
I voted for Korpiklaani, although I really like Agalloch, but for me they are not real folk metal (and they are spelled wrong )
05.05.2009 - 10:39
ms68
Written by Diabolos on 26.04.2009 at 20:13

I voted for Korpiklaani, although I really like Agalloch, but for me they are not real folk metal (and they are spelled wrong )

I voted for agalloch and i have your feeling about Korpiklaani about Agalloch. for me folk metal defines as bands like ensiferum, eluveitie and this kind of bands. agalloch is avant garde.
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
05.05.2009 - 23:36
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by ms68 on 05.05.2009 at 10:39

Written by Diabolos on 26.04.2009 at 20:13

I voted for agalloch and i have your feeling about Korpiklaani about Agalloch. for me folk metal defines as bands like ensiferum, eluveitie and this kind of bands. agalloch is avant garde.

They are pretty hard to classify, I don't know where I would put them, but although they have some folk influences it's not a folk band for me
06.05.2009 - 03:49
BuzzPhil
I vote for Finntroll because I love their harmony and the sound they can produce, my vote almost went to Elvenking and Ensiferum because they are awesome and I love their music.