Album: Watching From A Distance
Style: Epic doom metal
Release date: 2007

01. Watching From A Distance
02. Footprints
03. Bridges
04. Faces
05. Echoes

Next time a newbie to (Traditional) Doom Metal asks me what the genre is about, my answer shall be confined to one mere word: Warning. As his or her face will doubtlessly bear a puzzled look, should I really answer in such fashion, my patient person shall have to repeat and explain that answer. And I will gladly do so, as everyone that has but the slightest interest in Warning is my friend.

Yes, besides a signal of danger, Warning is also the name of a band. A British band. A highly emotional, animating band, seemingly the love of all the reviewers around the world, yet unknown to the majority of the listeners. A damn shame, that's what that is. If any album (Doom, or Metal in general) of the past ten years is massively underrated, it is "Watching From A Distance". But Warning themselves seem not to care, as they have been going since 1994 and keep going on, in the same pace as their music.

As a matter of fact, they have taken everything so easy that they were put into hibernation for a couple of years. The reason that I am mentioning this is because the vocalist, Patrick Walker, took a break from writing music and focused on acting, his other hobby. And it shows. Compare their first album "The Strength To Dream" to this one and be amazed at the immense, IMMENSE progress his voice has made. On the debut he was already good, but on "Watching From A Distance" he is glorious. Gloriously wailing. It might take some time getting used to his unique sound, but after a few spins you will sink deeper and deeper into the swamp of misery that is Warning.

Pat's vocals are accompanied by heavy guitar riffs, full of bass and sad melodies. Drenched in a very grey distortion, their slightly unusual sound is perfect for this type of music (and vocals). Together with the splashes of the drummer they are compact and tight, but at the same time wavering all over the place. Of course the pace is through-out the entire album slow and doleful, yet you will discover time flies by when listening to this album.

No more praise now, it is time the traditional Doom lovers discover this secret gem and give Warning the recognition they deserve. Before you will know it, the release of this album will be sold out again (perhaps it is already) and they will sink into oblivion once more. And that would be a great shame. Take my word for it, this is the best Traditional Doom Album of post 2000.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 27.07.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 78   Visited by: 404 users
20.09.2010 - 21:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 20.09.2010 at 15:45

Written by Carl Berg on 18.09.2010 at 18:43

Written by Slayer666 on 18.09.2010 at 10:06

Written by Elio on 26.02.2009 at 17:45

Written by Talvi on 29.01.2009 at 14:08

I'm the only one that thinks that this is overrated?

Nope

+1
I only find the first song interesting (even quite brilliant), but the rest is so boring, I can't sit through 3 minutes of it.

Dudes, this album is without doubt a doom masterpiece. If you can't sit through more than the first 3 minutes than you don't know doom metal.

Nah, man, I like a lot of Doom Metal. But I can't understand what is so good about this particular album. Sure, the first song is one of the best I've heard in this genre, but the rest are too much alike and offer nothing more. Basically, the entire album can be easily replaced with just the first song, IMO.

If I might ask... What doom bands do you like? Since you say you like a lot of doom. Sometimes it helps when people name the doom bands they do like to see where they are coming from.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.09.2010 - 15:33
Rating: 9
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.09.2010 at 21:43

Written by Slayer666 on 20.09.2010 at 15:45

Written by Carl Berg on 18.09.2010 at 18:43

Written by Slayer666 on 18.09.2010 at 10:06

Written by Elio on 26.02.2009 at 17:45

Written by Talvi on 29.01.2009 at 14:08

I'm the only one that thinks that this is overrated?

Nope

+1
I only find the first song interesting (even quite brilliant), but the rest is so boring, I can't sit through 3 minutes of it.

Dudes, this album is without doubt a doom masterpiece. If you can't sit through more than the first 3 minutes than you don't know doom metal.

Nah, man, I like a lot of Doom Metal. But I can't understand what is so good about this particular album. Sure, the first song is one of the best I've heard in this genre, but the rest are too much alike and offer nothing more. Basically, the entire album can be easily replaced with just the first song, IMO.

If I might ask... What doom bands do you like? Since you say you like a lot of doom. Sometimes it helps when people name the doom bands they do like to see where they are coming from.

Early Katatonia is my absolute number one, followed by Nortt, Funeral, Tales of Dark (very, very good Goth/Death Doom from Serbia), My Dying Bride, Thegrothon and my recent favorites, Esoteric and Arcana Colestia. There is more, but that would sum it up pretty well.
22.09.2010 - 15:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 22.09.2010 at 15:33

Early Katatonia is my absolute number one, followed by Nortt, Funeral, Tales of Dark (very, very good Goth/Death Doom from Serbia), My Dying Bride, Thegothorn and my recent favorites, Esoteric and Arcana Colestia. There is more, but that would sum it up pretty well.

Mmm, I don't know Tales Of Dark, will have to check them out.
But seeing those other names (with My Dying bride I hope you mean old MDB and not the last two , same for Funeral btw.) I can udnerstand your problems with Warning.
You probably also have problems with most of Candlemass and other epic doom bands.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.09.2010 - 15:40
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.09.2010 at 15:35

Written by Slayer666 on 22.09.2010 at 15:33

Early Katatonia is my absolute number one, followed by Nortt, Funeral, Tales of Dark (very, very good Goth/Death Doom from Serbia), My Dying Bride, Thegothorn and my recent favorites, Esoteric and Arcana Colestia. There is more, but that would sum it up pretty well.

Mmm, I don't know Tales Of Dark, will have to check them out.
But seeing those other names (with My Dying bride I hope you mean old MDB and not the last two , same for Funeral btw.) I can udnerstand your problems with Warning.
You probably also have problems with most of Candlemass and other epic doom bands.

True about MDB, not so true about Funeral.
Yeah, I can't stand Candlemass other than a song or two from "Epicus...". Or other epic doom. But Warning strikes me slightly more like Funeral Doom than Epic, excluding the vocals.
21.12.2010 - 21:06
Aristarchos
I don't like Candlemass but this is brilliant!
11.01.2011 - 08:43
Evil Chip
Amazing album. Normally I don't listen to doom apart from Katatonias first records but this is a masterpiece. The only weak point for me is the lyrics (kind of gay to me) but they make absolutely sense along with the music.
13.01.2011 - 18:12
ForeverDarkWoods
Personally, I can't stand this album for the life of me. It just drags on and on and never does anything for me. It's just long, boring and fails to be epic. It's just nothing. It's not really heavy, it's not really epic, it never actually goes anywhere, and ultimately it completely fails to keep my attention and totally puts me to sleep.

Same problem that Solstice has at times but much, much worse (Solstice is actually quite good if you're in the mood despite sections that drag on for far to long without adding anything). A lot (I'd even dare to say most) of funeral doom also has this problem.

This album is IMO just a bunch of generic nothingness.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
13.01.2011 - 18:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 13.01.2011 at 18:12

Personally, I can't stand this album for the life of me. It just drags on and on and never does anything for me. It's just long, boring and fails to be epic. It's just nothing. It's not really heavy, it's not really epic, it never actually goes anywhere, and ultimately it completely fails to keep my attention and totally puts me to sleep.

Same problem that Solstice has at times but much, much worse (Solstice is actually quite good if you're in the mood despite sections that drag on for far to long without adding anything). A lot (I'd even dare to say most) of funeral doom also has this problem.

Dude, if you want to say something just come right out and say it!
13.01.2011 - 18:22
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Guest on 13.01.2011 at 18:21

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 13.01.2011 at 18:12

Dude, if you want to say something just come right out and say it!

Okay: The album sucks!
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
13.01.2011 - 18:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 13.01.2011 at 18:22

Oh, that's where you were going with it.
13.01.2011 - 18:31
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by Guest on 13.01.2011 at 18:23

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 13.01.2011 at 18:22

Oh, that's where you were going with it.

Yeah, that's the contents of what I wrote too...
----
20.01.2011 - 00:46
Gordon Freeman
Wow, for some reason I had no idea these guys recorded more than a demo or two.

I've heard their Blessed by the Sabbath demo and love Nightmare Bride.

I'll have to see if CD World can order this one for me.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
29.01.2011 - 20:28
INÆRIS
This review didn't really tell much about the album, But because it really sparks my interest I'm going to check it out.
----
Still Life, Still Death
31.01.2011 - 11:59
Cryzpin
Omg! This album is total crap. Worthless neverending repetitive boredom, hell i am sick while listening to it, unbelievable. Considering overall very high rating and recommendations, i must be missing something...
Isn't it just childish hour-long exercise of tonal progeressions?
At least I finally discovered something fully deserving "worst ever" rating.
31.01.2011 - 19:34
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Cryzpin on 31.01.2011 at 11:59

May I please direct you to Thrash Queen...
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
31.01.2011 - 19:56
Rating: 10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

i must be missing something...

Yeah... Taste
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2011 - 10:23
Cryzpin
Written by vezzy on 31.01.2011 at 19:34

An all female thrash metal with feminist lyrics? Well, not sure i am ready for such masochism but thanks for suggestion anyway.
01.02.2011 - 10:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Cryzpin on 01.02.2011 at 10:23

Written by vezzy on 31.01.2011 at 19:34

An all female thrash metal with feminist lyrics? Well, not sure i am ready for such masochism but thanks for suggestion anyway.

They aren't thrash, buddy.

The debut, at least.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.02.2011 - 22:23
Slayer666
I take back everything I ever said about this album. Here, before you, my fellow MS members I eat my words with two pounds of shit. I must have been having some serious problems while listening to it for the first 10 times, but after that... a startling revelation. This is, indeed, a mesmerizing, crushing masterpiece. Just when you think that you'll drown in the sorrowful, thick distortion, Patrick comes in with his wailing vocals and pushes you down completely...
It still falls a bit short of my favorite Doom release, Dance of December Souls, but it's definitely up there with the best Doom I've heard.
07.02.2011 - 22:27
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 07.02.2011 at 22:23

I take back everything I ever said about this album. Here, before you, my fellow MS members I eat my words with two pounds of shit. I must have been having some serious problems while listening to it for the first 10 times, but after that... a startling revelation. This is, indeed, a mesmerizing, crushing masterpiece. Just when you think that you'll drown in the sorrowful, thick distortion, Patrick comes in with his wailing vocals and pushes you down completely...
It still falls a bit short of my favorite Doom release, Dance of December Souls, but it's definitely up there with the best Doom I've heard.

haha good stuff man, glad you like it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
30.08.2011 - 21:09
Rating: 6
Vonpire
Man, are you guys really SERIOUS? o.O

After all this "whining" I'm really glad on my tastes! TY!
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
30.08.2011 - 22:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Vonpire on 30.08.2011 at 21:09

The irony being you had to "whine" the same joke on three separate threads ;]
30.08.2011 - 23:17
Slayer666

Well, someone is obviously butthurt about people not liking Draconian...
Need some ointment, there, chief?
30.08.2011 - 23:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 30.08.2011 at 23:17

Well, someone is obviously butthurt about people not liking Draconian...
Need some ointment, there, chief?

It's funny how everyone noticed that. This guy overdid it methinks.
30.08.2011 - 23:32
Slayer666
Written by Guest on 30.08.2011 at 23:26

It's funny how everyone noticed that. This guy overdid it methinks.

That hilarious bitchfest/catfight he had on A Rose of the Apocalypse was pretty hard to miss.
Also, it reminded me a lot about that time THE_BLACK_GOD threw a similar all caps rage on jupitreas' review of My Dying Bride's For Lies I Sire. Boy, that was fun to read, we need more people like that 'round here.
31.08.2011 - 05:37
Vonpire
Warning ! May contain explicit lyrics and contents. You've been warned

If youre sensible, dont have humour sense, then stop reading now!

You've been warned!

Still reading. Well curiosity killed the cat. SO if you still reading this you either love this album (which I cannot help, sorry) or you respect other peoples opinions, which is the most important.

If you do not like me proceed at your own risk, if not then read my true opinion free and feeled.

While I admit that the joke was "dry", that is exactly what I feel about this lp by warning (well at least they warned) . See? another dry joke. It flawless fits the album. Dry, boring, a complete childish whining.
Most boring stuff I've heard in years. This is my true vision of this musical disaster. The voice of this guy is just horrible, a skinned cat can be more melodious. Its laughable really.
And the speech is typical of a teen with his broken heart whining because Gina spreaded left him.. Buuuhhhh..: Look how pathethic that is! Ohhhh great misfortune, ohh great drama ... Ohh great... wait... Theres nothing great inside this ridiculous thing besides boredom and pitty. Why this is cult to few, only you guys know, but it's so bad that isn't even worth to listen to many.

Anyway, The album drags from beginning to end in the same tone and was a real torture to hear it until the end. I did it, twice, just to try to get it. I.M. really. This is really bad music dragging and whining, Tedious. Pretty average "music" and the vocals deserve a 0.

Ok cya guys.

Still reading?

Go now friend metaller! PLUR for you!

Now for whom made this personal.
To the guys who even mention my person in offensive and tipical dumb superior mania, Your opinions are so valid as mine and you can look around google... I am not alone in this. I saw many people hating this album and loving and praising ARFTA by Drac. You are better? Why? Bunch of bad taste guys defending their "damsel" in despair? Do you feel different? Special in some way? Guess what. You fu***** aren't. You just think you are!
Wait... I just forgot some are holy around. And then there's milk... And some people with real bad taste , but hey its my opinion, nothing personal. I just think this sucks! Maybe some of you also!
To all others, a bucket of hardcore metal cookies...

The sad thing is that those who speak of me should look in the mirror and just look how ridiculous and immature your attitude towards different opinions are. Dont be scared! Its you on the mirror!

Can't stand criticism on your worship album? This depressing thing? Best album of Doom ??

Hahahaha, that joke is even more sad than this album.

I wish for you all twice as much you wish for me.

And thank God for Draconian!

Back to this misery...
There's two or three decent riffs that is what gives a 6 to it. Not like? Do depressing circles and share your hurted innerself

Cya guys.

Thanx for the amusement and listen to good metal meanwhile. (WARNING , not.. this)
----
31.08.2011 - 06:15
Rating: 10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Yes, we are better. for starters, i imagine most of us don't take it personally and froth at the keyboard with anyone who dares disagree with our opinion.

you have drawn special attention upon yourself for being one of those e-bags who does take a slight at a band as a personal one and responding to each and every differing opinion in kind.

flailing around at a Warning album because people don't like another album by another band that you drool over...

i dub thee "Ponderer 2.0"
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.08.2011 - 06:30
Vonpire
Valid opinion.

Please proceed.

The case here is only about 1 thing. Music quality. Not more not less.

You like this? No problem.

Do you want me to like?

No way.

I see you didnt laughed

Who is ponderer? Have you even pondered that this album really does suck for most of people?

Nahh, dont think so...

P.S. - Nobody menttioned "better"
.. only.. you (so far) and Draconian isn't even my fav band, you're shooting blindly obviously.
----
31.08.2011 - 10:09
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Vonpire on 31.08.2011 at 06:30

Who is ponderer? Have you even pondered that this album really does suck for most of people?

Ponderer was a sad creature who used to lash out at people for no reason, offending them in random ways.
His similarity to you is quite clear:
- ponderer was outraged by the 5.9 rating that was given to Kamelot's "Poetry for the Poisoned". He decided to vent his frustration by bashing Enslaved's "Axioma Ethica Odini". He even wrote a completely incompetent review thus proving that he had never heard Enslaved's album.
- you are outraged by some MS users' opinions about Draconian's "Rose for the Apocalypse", so you took it out on Warning's "Watching from a Distance".
Both of you are utterly incapable of grasping the idea of the existence of various opinions about a single album. Ponderer was offensive and racist. He asked himself for a permanent ban, which the mods granted him. He has re-registered twice since then, but both times he revelaed himself by posting blatantly obvious things, so both of his new accounts were perma banned as well. He might still be around, but even if he is, so far he's been keeping a low profile, so we haven't noticed him.

As you can see, he paved the way for the likes of you. Let's see how you choose to proceed.
31.08.2011 - 13:37
Slayer666
Written by Vonpire on 31.08.2011 at 06:30

Whine whine whine, bitch bitch bitch

It seems you need to really chill the fuck out. Get a hobby, get laid or something.

Actually, now that I think about it, please continue. Reading your pathetic bitching is the most fun and lulz I had on Metal Storm since ponderer wrote that troll review and set the site ablaze.
His legacy endures.

P.S. Not liking, and even dissing or mocking Warning is fine if you don't like them. But when someone disses an album you like, and you retort by writing 3-4 different comments of the same content about an album they like, well, that's just god damn pathetic and you deserve every bit of ridicule you get.

Hits total: 17376 | This month: 40