04. Landscape Of Liquid Colours
05. VI/XII Nuctemeron
06. All-Seeing Eye
07. Grand Space Opera
08. A Hand Across The Galaxy
09. Self-Proclaimed Existence
10. Thy Reverie
11. Noble Prophets

Nowadays it's not easy to find original bands but I think that we have a winner here. Sammath Naur comes from Poland and even if their first album, released in 2005, has not make a lot of noise, the re-edition by Metal Mind will probably give a second chances to the combo to become a bit more famous. If you're into original Metal I think that you should have a look on this album as soon as possible.

The music of Sammath Naur goes in a lot of different directions. The band plays some kind of Death Metal mixed with Black Metal sonorities. On a side we're not so far away of Behemoth but the music of Sammath Naur is a lot more experimental and avant-gardist. On a song you can have blasting double drums and aggressive riffs with strong Death vocals and some minutes later something a bit softer with complex melodies and experimental sonorities. The music of Sammath Naur is a bit elitist maybe and definitely Progressive but it's good to have sometime some extreme bands that choose to release Prog stuff. I really like a song like "Self-Proclaimed Existence" which is super violent at its beginning and become acoustic at its end. I cannot compare Sammath Naur to Opeth because the Polish band sounds a lot more modern and electronic than the Swedish masters (which is a lot more influenced by the 70's) but they both have this really cool jazzy influences and like Opeth, Sammath Naur is in the category of this Death Metal bands which try to add Progressive influences to their music, that's classy.

"Self-Proclaimed Existence" is not an album for everybody. I'm quite sure that not open minded people will not like it but if you like original music and Progressive extreme Metal I know that you'll love the album. The sound is perfect and it's easy to feel the differences between the violent and calm part and at least we can hear all the instruments (which are extremely technical). Too bad that the cover, in my opinion doesn't really represent the music of the band, it should be something a bit more conceptual and crazy and it could be perfect.

"Self-Proclaimed Existence" is a revelation for me! I don't know what the guys are doing now but this album was released in 2005 and I hope that they will come back soon with a new release. Let's hope that they won't change anything their music just rocks that way! Don't miss this release if you want some good original extreme avant-gardist Metal!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 31.07.2008

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 177 users
31.07.2008 - 19:26
FOOCK Nam
Exellent epic and melodic band. . But IMO their 2008 stuff is better but this one anyway is not bad.
01.08.2008 - 03:35
Bhavok
this band is fucking awesome!!
01.08.2008 - 11:49
rpiotrow
http://www.myspace.com/sammathnaur - three new songs from upcoming EP.
01.08.2008 - 16:17
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
I will be checking their stuff out as soon as I can. Sounds like something I would really get into.
----
(space for rent)
01.08.2008 - 19:28
EquilibriuMTR
Account deleted
If it's anything like Diabolical Masquerade or Vintersorg, it's worth listening.
02.08.2008 - 01:29
Ragana
Rawrcat
I think I'll get to know this band better. Thanks for the review!
05.02.2011 - 13:51
Destructo
Thank for the review.....will check this one out soon.
31.10.2011 - 04:55
tuerda
This was pretty good!

Hits total: 6590 | This month: 4