Metal Storm logo
Trolls

01.08.2008 - 18:36
Conservationist
Quote:

In the late 1980s, Internet users adopted the word “troll” to denote someone who intentionally disrupts online communities. Early trolling was relatively innocuous, taking place inside of small, single-topic Usenet groups. The trolls employed what the M.I.T. professor Judith Donath calls a “pseudo-naïve” tactic, asking stupid questions and seeing who would rise to the bait. The game was to find out who would see through this stereotypical newbie behavior, and who would fall for it. As one guide to trolldom puts it, “If you don’t fall for the joke, you get to be in on it.”

NYT article: Malwebolence

Quote:

When it becomes taboo to talk about certain topics, much less tie them together in the kind of truth that saves groups from themselves, the only people who speak the truth are some outsiders (other outsiders are just loser posers). Trolls -- using anonymity, hacker technique for obscurity, and some basic psychological knowledge -- are information terrorists for the truth.

CORRUPT's reponse: in Defense of Unpopular Truths, Deceit is Honesty

Most trolls I've met are NOT as articulate as this weev fellow. But there may be some truth to what he says.
01.08.2008 - 19:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
oh hell yeah... my favourite type of person : the only time i can understand trolling is when it is fairly amusing, or the other people on the forum are complete retards.
02.08.2008 - 10:20
Deadgirl
As someone who spent a surprisingly ample amount of time as a troll in the past, I must say that I never really put that consideration into it. I mean... the farthest I ever really got on that train of thought was something along the lines of "God, I hope these idiots fucking learn something."

Mostly I just did it because I used to be a total douchebag and I liked to annoy people who I thought were beneath me. I think a troll is a very necessary part of most boards though, now that I think about it. Not always to be "information terrorists" or to talk about topics that "become taboo" but if nothing else than to play devil's advocate. There are few things as boring as a conversation between people who all agree with each other.
----
Remember that you are mortal.
02.08.2008 - 12:28
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Hello, is this a topic about me? It has the word "troll" in the title, so it must be about me.
06.08.2008 - 22:45
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Seen loads of examples of what the Corrupt definition outlines. Conservationist sometimes posts stuff on BMUK and I remember the typical response to anything posted by anyone from ANUS.com was just insults. It seems nowadays that these threads sometimes turn into a serious discussion. Some of these threads are inflammatory but with good reason. I think the need to try and make people see (and share) your viewpoint is human nature and posting something that will provoke a reaction means more people will respond by trying to 'correct your opinion'. Topic is discussed, opinions and info shared and hopefully people walk away a bit more enlightened.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
31.12.2012 - 05:21
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Looks like the following three accounts were setup in the last 24-hours for the purpose of down voting some 2012 albums and up voting others. I think these three accounts should be deleted forthwith:

gart
afg
hjon
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
31.12.2012 - 05:49
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Ace Frawley on 31.12.2012 at 05:21

Looks like the following three accounts were setup in the last 24-hours for the purpose of down voting some 2012 albums and up voting others. I think these three accounts should be deleted forthwith:

gart
afg
hjon

We never delete accounts, we just permaban them. I'm pretty sure we have a thread dedicated to these reports somewhere already that I would link you to but I can't seem to recall where said thread is located. So instead I'll just tell you to PM BitterCOld or Marcel Hubregtse about these kinds of accounts...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

31.12.2012 - 05:56
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by psykometal on 31.12.2012 at 05:49

We never delete accounts, we just permaban them. I'm pretty sure we have a thread dedicated to these reports somewhere already that I would link you to but I can't seem to recall where said thread is located. So instead I'll just tell you to PM BitterCOld or Marcel Hubregtse about these kinds of accounts...

Cheers, thanks for that.
----
31.12.2012 - 08:56
Void Eater
Account deleted
People tend to mistake my sarcastic assholeishness and joking for trolling .
31.12.2012 - 13:07
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 31.12.2012 at 08:56

People tend to mistake my sarcastic assholeishness and joking for trolling .

Take it as a compliment.
----
31.12.2012 - 14:19
ANGEL REAPER
You say trolls , I say idiots.Period!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"