Metal Storm logo
Uplifting doom metal?

04.08.2008 - 19:03
Graveheart

I included the question mark in the title because I also think something like that sounds too bizarre to exist. But I started to have faith in it when I was listening to Fireflower by Tiamat the other day and realised how happy it is. (It's on their 2002 album Judas Christ in case you have trouble looking for it) It's probably got something to do with the song melody because the pace is pretty dreamy, the riffs are quite low, slow and droning. Still, Fireflower is one of the most uplifting songs I've heard in a long while. I'd like to know if it's not just in my head, if anyone else has heard the song and agrees with me that it's doomy but not gloomy.

And more importantly, I'm asking if there are bands that are known for doing this, if their whole material fits with the description I gave for Fireflower. Because Tiamat aren't primarily a doom metal band (actually not in the least) and none of their other songs combine the happy melody (like in the song Heaven of High) with the moody vibe (like in the song Amanes). Or if you also have a single similar song in your mind, by any band, I'd be interested to hear about it. No matter if you think it's probably supposed to be sad but you still find it happy nonetheless.
04.08.2008 - 19:10
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Nooooooooooooo! That's blasphemy!!

I know none of the bands you mentioned though. I hate most Melodic Doom (stuff such as My Dying Bride, Swallow The Cum ©), you know. Anyway, even though good Doom metal (or good music in general) might uplift me, it shouldn't be uplifting itself. But that's just my opinion, and everyone should of course play the music he or she wants to play.

© Copyrighted by Marcel H.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.08.2008 - 02:53
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I always found Virgin Black, Saviour Machine and Place of Skulls to be uplifting Doom Metal bands. But maybe that is just me.
----
(space for rent)
05.08.2008 - 07:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Lucas on 04.08.2008 at 19:10

(stuff such as ... Swallow The Cum ©)

is that a metal band or an adult movie?!

lol.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.08.2008 - 13:07
VPeter

sure, why not. I prefer Melodic Doom over crap as Wormphlegm any day. however the atmosphere must be balanced well.
05.08.2008 - 16:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
All doom is for me, Im doomester for live, doom, wine an dlolyness hehhee so all doom bands are good for me, only Swallow The SUn isnt
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.08.2008 - 20:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Dane Train on 05.08.2008 at 02:53

I always found Virgin Black, Saviour Machine and Place of Skulls to be uplifting Doom Metal bands. But maybe that is just me.

I don't like the last ones that you named.. But I agree about Virgin Black, touching stuff IMO. Specially Mezzo Forte, the orchestra almost maked me cry... even on the first song.
But the thing is that I found Virgin Black to be more gothic than Doom... But that's just me as well

Written by BitterCOld on 05.08.2008 at 07:04

lol.

Wow... there you have a great observant... I never looked that line so carefully
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.08.2008 - 22:17
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.08.2008 at 20:52

I don't like the last ones that you named.. But I agree about Virgin Black, touching stuff IMO. Specially Mezzo Forte, the orchestra almost maked me cry... even on the first song.
But the thing is that I found Virgin Black to be more gothic than Doom... But that's just me as well

You're right, Virgin Black might be more Gothic than Doom. I honestly have a hard time figuring out the difference between the two genres sometimes.
----
(space for rent)
05.08.2008 - 22:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Dane Train on 05.08.2008 at 22:17

Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.08.2008 at 20:52

You're right, Virgin Black might be more Gothic than Doom. I honestly have a hard time figuring out the difference between the two genres sometimes.

I understand you well.. Sometimes is quite hard.
I would tell the difference for the riffs. VB's riffs are very doomy [check out Mezzo or Fortissimo... very slow and heavy riffs, almost like funeral Doom]

Gothic could be more catchy... But hey, I really don't know.
I feel that sometimes the only way to tell the difference is to listen to more of that kind of music and just "feel" what genre is.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.10.2008 - 11:28
FOOCK Nam

Virgin Black is more gothic than doom but also IMO more classical.

The uplifting doom I think I experienced should be Colosseum - Corridors of Desloation and all song from Hope album of Swallow The Sun. Damn Swallow The Sun is such excellent band with their guitar and keyboard. If you listen to the song Hope, you will see what I mean, it has creating the aura feeling moments that you ll never forget. Likewsie, the lyric of Swallow The Sun is most favorable for me. Check both music and lyric of No Light, No Hope.
31.10.2008 - 18:54
Graveheart

A few people have mentioned Swallow the Sun here, and I think I can see why, maybe they have something like this going on too. It's hard to explain, but it might be because they have a very clean sound and accessible atmosphere as opposed to doom metal bands in general. I'm not a big fan (even though they must be the most international, widely spread band from my home town, in any music genre) but this wasn't one of those your favorite bands threads in the first place anyway.

Arcane Rain Fell by Draconian is also surprisingly uplifting for a doom metal album. The Everlasting Scar in particular. Something in almost all the riffs and melodies on the album just sounds very optimistic, refreshed and life-loving to me, not in a "happy happylings from happyland" kind of way, it's something else. Think of it as mature happiness if that makes any sense and helps you understand what I mean. It also might have something to do with their very cheesy lyrics. Intentional or not, it's one of those good mood albums. I haven't heard any other Draconian material yet.
01.11.2008 - 03:47
Gigginova
Account deleted

lol.

It's a pun on Swallow The Sun :

they're like the only pure Doom band I like.
01.11.2008 - 05:18
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I always thought bands like Candlemass and The Obsessed were pretty uplifting.
01.11.2008 - 05:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 01.11.2008 at 03:47

lol.

It's a pun on Swallow The Sun :

they're like the only pure Doom band I like.

no kidding. it's not their name. wow.

try shape of despair, which i find similar but better.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.11.2008 - 08:27
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Graveheart on 31.10.2008 at 18:54

Arcane Rain Fell by Draconian is also surprisingly uplifting for a doom metal album. The Everlasting Scar in particular. Something in almost all the riffs and melodies on the album just sounds very optimistic, refreshed and life-loving to me, not in a "happy happylings from happyland" kind of way, it's something else. Think of it as mature happiness if that makes any sense and helps you understand what I mean. It also might have something to do with their very cheesy lyrics. Intentional or not, it's one of those good mood albums. I haven't heard any other Draconian material yet.

I agree here with Arcane Rain Fell. Mainly about about the riffs. They are quite pleasant and relaxing.
I think the reason some people find doom uplifting is because they dont reaslly listen to the lyrics, just the music, and music makes people uplifted in general. I do this because i dont care much for lyrics.
01.11.2008 - 11:08
annodomini

FOr me Uplifting doom is Harmonized doom. Like Adagio - Romantic Srenades, Amber Tears - Revelations of renounced, or Autumn - Ochen Vesna. These albums are really uplifting, but still pure doom. I think doom can be uplifting because doom,or destiny, not everytime is depressing, life has happy moments also That my metaphorish speak
----
the riddle wants to be...
01.11.2008 - 11:34
FOOCK Nam

I also think Candlemass is very uplifting, even somewhat cheesy.
01.11.2008 - 12:57
Charly546

Trouble's "Psalm 9"?

There are some really nice "Ample Destruction" moments and thrash riffs there which are uplifting.
01.11.2008 - 18:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
There quite a lot of musically uplifting doom bands if you ask me...

Candlemass, While Heaven Wept, Grave Flowers, Centurions Ghost, Wall of Sleep, Isole, Krux, St. Vitus, The Obsessed, Place of Skulls, Griftegard, The River, Wizards of Doom, Reverend Bizarre, Fall of the Idols, The Lamp Of Thoth, Solstice, Trouble...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.11.2008 - 11:21
FOOCK Nam

And mostly uplifting doom falls in traditional doom.
07.10.2009 - 03:48
ToMegaTherion

Well i must say this is quite a ironic question. Yet funnily enough it is quite true for me. My Dying Bride i find uplifting esspecially in their last three albums. I think of it more like poetry and story telling rather than dreary slow death metal
07.10.2009 - 07:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Charly546 on 01.11.2008 at 12:57

Trouble's "Psalm 9"?

The album is actually called Trouble
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.10.2009 - 10:02
Charly546

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.10.2009 at 07:35

Trouble's "Psalm 9"?

True. I found out recently that they changed its name after they released their 1990 album, called "Trouble".
07.10.2009 - 10:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Charly546 on 07.10.2009 at 10:02

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.10.2009 at 07:35

Trouble's "Psalm 9"?

True. I found out recently that they changed its name after they released their 1990 album, called "Trouble".

Spot on.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.10.2009 - 10:15
distorted rage

The new album by Hands is very uplifting to me.
----
'We entered Winter once again...The sun sets forever over Blackwater park'
13.10.2009 - 19:44
HugeTheConqeror

The only Doom band that I can think of that I would consider "uplifting" is Evensong, and they are really not exclusively Doom in my opinion. They are kind of hard to classify, but there are Doom elements to their sound. Their lyrics tend to be Biblical / Mythical. They might not be everyone's cup of tea, but their sound is a refreshing trip outside the ordinary for Doom.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
20.10.2009 - 04:12
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Doom makes me happy, does that count?
20.10.2009 - 06:30
danielllewis

Candlemass I guess since they're "Epic doom metal"

But if one enjoys listening to doom metal, wouldn't it be uplifting for them anyways?
----
20.10.2009 - 18:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by danielllewis on 20.10.2009 at 06:30

But if one enjoys listening to doom metal, wouldn't it be uplifting for them anyways?

Yes, all doom metal is uplifting for me.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.10.2009 - 01:25
danielllewis

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.10.2009 at 18:27

Written by danielllewis on 20.10.2009 at 06:30

Yes, all doom metal is uplifting for me.

All death black power folk viking melodeath doom progressive thrash symphonic stoner/sludge/whatever is uplifting to me
----