Metal Storm logo
Bands you discovered at concerts

Original post

Posted by Warman, 06.08.2008 - 21:34
Please stop me if there's a similar thread.

Yeah, so we have already talked about bands we discovered here at Metal Storm. But what about great bands you first heard at a concert? An opening band or maybe even the headliners (if you by any chance just came for the openers).

For me, the most important surely is Deathstars. I was at the Cradle of Filth concert in Gothenburg and Deathstars were the opening band. I had only heard Cyanide before that, and didn't really listen to it. Why should I have? They looked so damn emo and I instantly thought "not another Marilyn Manson band". But at the concert the band blew me away already with the first song, Tounges. I thought it was so damn good, but felt a little ashamed since all the small girls (typical "emo-fjortisar" as we call them here in Sweden) knew all the lyrics. So I took a look at my friend and saw him moving his head to the music. So I carefully said: "This is kinda good". And he thought so too. When "Play God" came I knew I just had to buy the album ASAP! Good thing I did, today I hold Termination Bliss among my favourites.

What more do we have? Evile at the Megadeth concert were awesome, but I rather complete my Slayer discography first. Mastodon and One Man Army & the Undead Quartet are also great bands I discovered at concerts. The most important after Deathstars is certainly Sepultura at an In Flames show. I had just heard some bad samples from them and thought they sucked. But when they opened up with Refuse/Resist I knew that it was a band for me. Especially since I really recognized the song but couldn't figure out where I had heard it before. Very annoying, I could hum along to the whole song. After a while I realised that Apocalyptica had made a cover of it.
14.11.2013 - 17:42
Wukk

I've discovered quite a few bands through concerts, but a lot of the time I haven't listened to them beyond that for some reason. I think the only instance where I've seen a band live and then immediately bought their album was In Case of Fire. They were alright live, but the record was extremely disappointing. Besides that, I've seen plenty of great bands live that I didn't know about before, but then haven't bothered to listen to them afterwards.

The exception is Sleeping Romance, who I saw on Saturday and would happily listen to their album given the chance.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator