Metal Storm logo
Bands you discovered at concerts

06.08.2008 - 21:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
Please stop me if there's a similar thread.

Yeah, so we have already talked about bands we discovered here at Metal Storm. But what about great bands you first heard at a concert? An opening band or maybe even the headliners (if you by any chance just came for the openers).

For me, the most important surely is Deathstars. I was at the Cradle of Filth concert in Gothenburg and Deathstars were the opening band. I had only heard Cyanide before that, and didn't really listen to it. Why should I have? They looked so damn emo and I instantly thought "not another Marilyn Manson band". But at the concert the band blew me away already with the first song, Tounges. I thought it was so damn good, but felt a little ashamed since all the small girls (typical "emo-fjortisar" as we call them here in Sweden) knew all the lyrics. So I took a look at my friend and saw him moving his head to the music. So I carefully said: "This is kinda good". And he thought so too. When "Play God" came I knew I just had to buy the album ASAP! Good thing I did, today I hold Termination Bliss among my favourites.

What more do we have? Evile at the Megadeth concert were awesome, but I rather complete my Slayer discography first. Mastodon and One Man Army & the Undead Quartet are also great bands I discovered at concerts. The most important after Deathstars is certainly Sepultura at an In Flames show. I had just heard some bad samples from them and thought they sucked. But when they opened up with Refuse/Resist I knew that it was a band for me. Especially since I really recognized the song but couldn't figure out where I had heard it before. Very annoying, I could hum along to the whole song. After a while I realised that Apocalyptica had made a cover of it.
----
06.08.2008 - 21:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Mmmmm, interesting question. I can't think of any right now. But in the 25 years I have been going to concerts there must have been at least a couple. So, please forgive me, but I wanna get back to you on this question. Currently there are a couple of band names at the back of my head but I first have to find out if the first time I heard them was really at a concert.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.08.2008 - 21:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Damn, of course, hahahaha, just a minute later...

Imindain were a band I had only heard about but blew me away totally last year at the Dutch Doom Days, whch was the first time I heard them.

More bands to follow soon.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.08.2008 - 22:02
thesabbathfan

High on Fire I discovered at Gigantour. Whew! They're really damn heavy for only having one guitar!
----
06.08.2008 - 22:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nop, because those what play here in Lv I moustly discovere true TV, tapes, CD I net, non treu concerts, ´
I dont go to much of them so...but one band what I didnt know and saw 10 min live was Rised Fist it was some jumpic metal core, I went away to blues section
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.08.2008 - 22:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
I hate Raised Fist.
----
06.08.2008 - 23:08
TheBigRossowski

Membaris, though it's nothing SUPER special, it's still good to listen to black metal. The album is okay..but definitely not overrated because it receives no press or anything.

Technically, Katharsis! My first Secrets of the Moon show, I spoke mostly with T.T. and we did the "do you know..do you know...band?" back and forth! He mentioned Katharsis and I forgot to check them out!!!! The next show, I saw a CD that said "Katharsis" and I went to buy it, but Daevas the ex-bassist was there and he saved me the money! WRONG KATHARSIS! There is another Dark Metal one I assume..

What else? ROOT! and....errr.....hahaha!! Endstille!!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
06.08.2008 - 23:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by TheBigRossowski on 06.08.2008 at 23:08

What else? ROOT! ...

I hope you're kidding, right. Cause I found them absolutlely terrible live (check my April 2007 No Mercy Festval report on that) Dam even bands such as Cruachan are brilliant compared to Root live for me, and that is REALYY saying something hahahaha
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.08.2008 - 00:09
Stuart
MiseryKing
I discovered Red harvest when they opened for Susperia, they were brilliant, a truly great find. There are probably quite a few others but I can't think of them...
07.08.2008 - 00:34
Ernis
狼獾
Epica....I knew'em before and had listened to some of their stuff before but when I saw them live and got to admire Simone LIVE and could watch her LIVE and stood there in heavy rain and hail and thunder and lightning and had this music pouring onto us from the stage.....hell yeh I started to like them a lot.....

Written by Warman on 06.08.2008 at 21:34

For me, the most important surely is Deathstars. I was at the Cradle of Filth concert in Gothenburg and Deathstars were the opening band. I had only heard Cyanide before that, and didn't really listen to it. Why should I have? They looked so damn emo and I instantly thought "not another Marilyn Manson band". But at the concert the band blew me away already with the first song, Tounges. I thought it was so damn good, but felt a little ashamed since all the small girls (typical "emo-fjortisar" as we call them here in Sweden) knew all the lyrics. So I took a look at my friend and saw him moving his head to the music. So I carefully said: "This is kinda good". And he thought so too. When "Play God" came I knew I just had to buy the album ASAP! Good thing I did, today I hold Termination Bliss among my favourites.

Yeh I saw Deathstars as well in the summer of 2006. Yes they do look emo and yeh they do look like "just another Mary Manson band" but they gave a very very very strong performance and the crowd went absolutely wild....one of the most energetic lives I've seen in my life.......
I met two cute crazy goth chicks there.....too bad I never got to meet neither of'em again after the festival.....
07.08.2008 - 01:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.08.2008 at 23:13

What else? ROOT! ...

I hope you're kidding, right. Cause I found them absolutlely terrible live (check my April 2007 No Mercy Festval report on that) Dam even bands such as Cruachan are brilliant compared to Root live for me, and that is REALYY saying something hahahaha

If you talk about Cz Root I dislike band too, even if its epic, I dislike it , Thoor(If I spell correct) are better but not good too
----

apos;'
[image]
07.08.2008 - 01:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 06.08.2008 at 22:29

I hate Raised Fist.

are thay from Luleå?
I hate it I wast 20min because when thay looking how sounds guitar it sounds like doom, but when thay start play and jump, accting like there some fly in his pens, I go away
----

apos;'
[image]
07.08.2008 - 01:17
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i discovered a local band called left to bleed when i went to see akercocke...i thought they would just be another crappy metalcore band like most of the bands around where i live, but they played about 4 songs, all of them were amazing melodic death metal, i was blown away...the bassist came out afterwards to watch akercocke and i told him how i thought the band was really good so he gave me a sample cd of their new ep, and i listened to it and it was brilliant. as well as good musicians, they played the stage well and had a good energy to their performance especially the vocalist, he wasn't a cocky idiot he was really good at interacting with the crowd, well what few people were there only about 100 or or so.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
07.08.2008 - 09:35
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
A band from Perth (other side of Australia) called Voyager. I had never heard of them til the concert (they were main support).
07.08.2008 - 09:48
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i discovered a local band called Bane Of Isildur, when they supported Amon Amarth earlier in the year...

a great "triumphant war metal" band
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
07.08.2008 - 11:10
Abattoir

For now I only remember Quo Vadis, which I saw and heard them for the first time...and they realy kick ass, although with a little too short setlist. Well, they were one of the supporters of Kataklysm in early 2007 tour, so that was expected. Anyway, they quite suprised me...
07.08.2008 - 18:38
TheBigRossowski

What else? ROOT! ...

I DID discover Root at a concert...doesn't mean I found it to be brilliant! You should have quoted the rest of my excuse for a sentence. "...ERRR...HAHA!". That definitely wasn't a "haha" for Endstille.
----
07.08.2008 - 18:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by TheBigRossowski on 07.08.2008 at 18:38

What else? ROOT! ...

I DID discover Root at a concert...doesn't mean I found it to be brilliant! You should have quoted the rest of my excuse for a sentence. "...ERRR...HAHA!". That definitely wasn't a "haha" for Endstille.

Oh you meant 'discover a band' in that sense and not in the sense they were totally unknown to you and it turned out you really liked the band and went off to buy their albums?
I thought the question wa about disovering bands you enjoy at concerts, but I could be wrong of course.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.08.2008 - 19:34
TheBigRossowski

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.08.2008 at 18:47

Written by TheBigRossowski on 07.08.2008 at 18:38

What else? ROOT! ...

Oh you meant 'discover a band' in that sense and not in the sense they were totally unknown to you and it turned out you really liked the band and went off to buy their albums?
I thought the question wa about disovering bands you enjoy at concerts, but I could be wrong of course.

One could say I made a mistake and didn't read the first post. Or you could assume it's like "The Comment". The topic was "Bands you discovered at Concerts" so it can go either way depending how you look at it. It's best not to dwell on the subject..lol
----
07.08.2008 - 20:06
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by Abattoir on 07.08.2008 at 11:10

For now I only remember Quo Vadis, which I saw and heard them for the first time...and they realy kick ass, although with a little too short setlist. Well, they were one of the supporters of Kataklysm in early 2007 tour, so that was expected. Anyway, they quite suprised me...

I've been to that show as well, mainly for Quo Vadis as I didn't hold high hopes after Kataklysm's "In the Arms of Devastation", but they were surprisingly good after all. But I've known Kataklysm before of course, so that doesn't count. Now a band I DID discover that night was Neaera, the last of the three opening bands (next to Quo Vadis and Fear My Thoughts). I had thought they'd play as second band and as I've been told that they were just another metalcore band I went for a pizza right after Quo Vadis and planned to be back for Fear My Thoughts. It turned out that Fear My Thoughts actually played second, so I was to stand through an entire set of metalcore... and I'm glad I did, because they totally blew me away! Now they are one of the two metalcore bands (the other being Heaven Shall Burn) I actually enjoy!

The most important discovery for me was Letzte Instanz though. On the first night of last year's Wacken Open Air I got bored of Sodom and decided to check out what was playing on the smallest stage. Týr just finished there, everyone was streaming out, so I could get a good spot for the next band, which was Letzte Instanz, some medieval folk band as I was told, a kind of music I'm not that much into. When the cellist started though I was instantly enchanted and so was everyone else in the audience, and for some reason I managed to sing along to most of their songs even though I had never heard them. When I got to know about their other lyrics after the festival they became one of the most important bands in my life as their music summed up perfectly how I felt about the people around me at that time. So a very big thank you to Sodom for being so boring
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
07.08.2008 - 23:00
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Bad English on 07.08.2008 at 01:12

Written by Warman on 06.08.2008 at 22:29

I hate Raised Fist.

are thay from Luleå?
I hate it I wast 20min because when thay looking how sounds guitar it sounds like doom, but when thay start play and jump, accting like there some fly in his pens, I go away

I don't know actually.
----
08.08.2008 - 20:44
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.08.2008 at 18:47

I thought it meant discovered a band you never heard of and went on to enjoy, although if a band are shit live, you're unlikely to be impressed enough to go out and get their albums so i think it works both ways
13.08.2008 - 19:26
HugeTheConqeror

Are we only including signed bands here? If not, then I would include a local Chicago band called War Saw that was part of the bill for the Finntroll show there last year. I'm not actually from Chicago, and had travelled several hours to see the show, so I had never heard of them. They were really good, especially when keeping in mind that they were all about 17 years old at the time. They sounded like Iron Maiden with Scandanavian Death Metal vocals. Good song writing, good musicianship, excellent performance.

They only have a poorly produced demo out, and I think the band is taking things a little more slowly right now while its members are in college, but I am keeping my eye on them.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
13.08.2008 - 19:28
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by HugeTheConqeror on 13.08.2008 at 19:26

Are we only including signed bands here?

Ah, of course not.
----
13.08.2008 - 19:41
HugeTheConqeror

Written by Warman on 13.08.2008 at 19:28

Written by HugeTheConqeror on 13.08.2008 at 19:26

Are we only including signed bands here?

Ah, of course not.

Cool! Then definitely check these guys out. I don't want to seem like a shill for these guys or anything, but I really enjoyed their show. I bought their demo afterward, and as bad as the production is (and not on purpose - sounds like it was recorded in a bedroom) , the music is good enough to keep me listening to it regularly.
----
02.10.2008 - 19:35
HugeTheConqeror

Just saw Unexpect open for Sigh in Cleveland. I had heard of them, but not anything by them, prior to this. Their set was incredible, and exercise in controlled chaos. Everyone was in awe. They were truly one of the best opening acts I have ever seen, and once I get some pocket money, I will definitely be picking up a few of their releases.
----
02.10.2008 - 20:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
my favorite band i discovered at a show is without a doubt Clutch. they were opening for Bad Religion in January of '94. put on a good show, bought their debut on tape. a couple years later the tape melted in my car, kind of forgot about them until catching a video from their latest release. since then i have gone back an picked up most of their discography.

they kicked off the set that night with "A Shogun Named Marcus", which is still one of my favorite Clutch songs to this day.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.10.2008 - 20:54
PowerMetalDragon
Account deleted
Last year I went to see Symphony X at Nokia Theater in New York it was a great show. first warm up band was band. Although I did like the second one Epica. They were good, but I only went there to see Symphony X just like everyone else did. The only song they didn't do that everyone wanted was The odyssey. Oh well, oh yeah it was also my first concert!
03.10.2008 - 00:20
Anathemani@c

I discovered Ektomorf in a show with Kreator. I got blown away with the energy they achieved in the show! It was great!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
03.10.2008 - 01:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Anathemani@c on 03.10.2008 at 00:20

I discovered Ektomorf in a show with Kreator. I got blown away with the energy they achieved in the show! It was great!

You mean that Hungarian Soulfly rip-off?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996