Metal Storm logo
Candlemass

Original post

Posted by Valar, 17.05.2006 - 07:28
Candlemass, the founders of epic doom metal.
Their First four albums Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation are flawless, and its very difficult to choose the best from these bests.

So defn there must be many Candlemass and epic doom metal fans around with views for this Epic band.

(Arguing If Candlemass was the first doom metal band or weather Epicus Doomicus Metallicus was the first doom metal album is what most of the times is discussed and i would recommend to keep away frm these "Arguable" issues)

Views About the band, albums and Fav tracks, news etc Post On....
10.04.2009 - 02:21
BRJ Events

Awesome band, simply awesome, cant wait to see them live!
----
www.myspace.com/brjevents
11.04.2009 - 20:55
GT
Coffee!!
I finally get a chance to see them live since they're confirmed for ProgPower Scandinavia. Really looking forward to this
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
11.04.2009 - 22:28
Hellish Star

New album is fantastic. "Dead Angel", what a song!
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
11.04.2009 - 22:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hellish Star on 11.04.2009 at 22:28

New album is fantastic. "Dead Angel", what a song!

Nop I prefere The Bleeding Baroness and yes its wounderfull only I didlike opening song it was ''cheasy'' but others was so awesome damn I need hear it again now
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.04.2009 - 14:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Brilliant album, but a shame it starts off with If I Ever Die, a run of the mill standard cheesy power metal song. Had they left that song off the album it would have been flawless.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.04.2009 - 15:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.04.2009 at 14:41

Brilliant album, but a shame it starts off with If I Ever Die, a run of the mill standard cheesy power metal song. Had they left that song off the album it would have been flawless.

You're only one who dislikes opeinmg song , me to, I cant stand it its ceasest song from band
, there many people before buy album lsiten songs, and if they hear first.... but other hand many flower funs accidenly buy some doom
----

apos;'
[image]
12.04.2009 - 15:15
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Azrael on 12.04.2009 at 15:12

I agree that (If I Ever Die) is a bad choice to be the first song of the album
But it's a good song anyway.

as Marcel said it doesnt seem Doom Metal, but its not a bad song.
12.04.2009 - 15:17
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 12.04.2009 at 15:09

You're only one who dislikes opeinmg song , me to, I cant stand it its ceasest song from band
, there many people before buy album lsiten songs, and if they hear first.... but other hand many flower funs accidenly buy some doom

huhu do you know Flower Tucci?
12.04.2009 - 16:22
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
What are your opinions about 'Dead Angel" song?
14.04.2009 - 09:19
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah I don't like If I Ever Die either. It seems like they structured their new album similarly to King of the Grey Islands - starting the album off with the fastest song, which is unusually fast for doom in general, and then following it with a much slower track with a huge hook, but the difference is that Emperor of the Void is actually a good song (I still always skip it though... not sure why). Death Magic Doom almost seems like a more stripped down version of King of the Grey Islands, and even though I like it, I still prefer King of the Grey Islands.

I love The Bleeding Baronness It's so dark yet relaxing
14.04.2009 - 10:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Is this really "true" doom metal? i listened to the song Solitude from their first album and it didn't sound as sickening and depressing and whatnot as people make it to be
14.04.2009 - 10:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I call some of their newer stuff POWERDOOM haha, but yeah most of their really old stuff is true traditional doom just like old Black Sabbath.
15.04.2009 - 17:03
routa
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 14.04.2009 at 10:34

Is this really "true" doom metal? i listened to the song Solitude from their first album and it didn't sound as sickening and depressing and whatnot as people make it to be

About as true as it gets. You've probably got your impression from those FUNeral/whatever doom guys.
15.04.2009 - 17:24
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
This is doom metal but as "spyroleprechaun" said, its kind of power metal too.
16.04.2009 - 15:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I agree the firsts albums are as doom as it gets. But in the old fashion way of course.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.04.2009 - 21:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

go and find "Circle" by Esoteric off the 'Maniacal Vale' album. that should have the effect you are looking for.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.04.2009 - 21:31
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BitterCOld on 17.04.2009 at 21:10

go and find "Circle" by Esoteric off the 'Maniacal Vale' album. that should have the effect you are looking for.

listening to it right now.. up until the vocals came along i didn't find it too depressing and stuff. a bit offtopic but now i realize what doom metal people try to do.. it's exactly what i wanted to do once, which is write the most twisted, sick, depressing guitar riff i could possibly come up with. i'm guessing they do this to free themselves of all the negative emotions which they are feeling? strangely i feel pretty relieved or something after listening to that song.

on a lighter note, "If I Ever Die" kicks tons of ass. powerdoom ftw
18.04.2009 - 01:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Valentin B on 17.04.2009 at 21:31

Written by BitterCOld on 17.04.2009 at 21:10

powerdoom ftw

yeeeaaaah it's starting to stick!

Has anyone seen (or is about to) Candlemass live after or right before Death Magic Doom was released? I'm curious how many new songs they play live.
18.04.2009 - 14:40
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Pyro, if i happen to review the next album and they continue their style, i'll use the word Powerdoom as well! I like it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
18.04.2009 - 15:38
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 18.04.2009 at 14:40

Pyro, if i happen to review the next album and they continue their style, i'll use the word Powerdoom as well! I like it.

you can call them Powerdoom since this album released IMO, doesnt need to wait for another one! but definitely its a nice album.
19.04.2009 - 13:51
Zergaloth

I just love the drowsy, low and slow sound that suddenly breaks open into a killer riff (like Hammer of Doom especially)
any other songs / bands you could recommend me?
19.04.2009 - 15:58
Zergaloth

Written by Azrael on 19.04.2009 at 14:15

Written by Zergaloth on 19.04.2009 at 13:51

I just love the drowsy, low and slow sound that suddenly breaks open into a killer riff (like Hammer of Doom especially)

Try this one: Lord Vicar - Fear No Pain

I gave some of theirs songs a quick listen. I like them a lot, but they don't burst open like for example (but not only) Hammer of Doom does.
I'm really looking for more songs that use the "slow...slow...slow... BOOM KILLER RIFF ... slow" formula.
19.04.2009 - 20:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
The term powerdoom has been used for quite a long time already, so, sorry Pyro, we can't credit it to you. ;-)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.04.2009 - 21:39
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Zergaloth on 19.04.2009 at 15:58
Written by Azrael on 19.04.2009 at 14:15
Written by Zergaloth on 19.04.2009 at 13:51
Try this one: Lord Vicar - Fear No Pain
I gave some of theirs songs a quick listen. I like them a lot, but they don't burst open like for example (but not only) Hammer of Doom does.
I'm really looking for more songs that use the "slow...slow...slow... BOOM KILLER RIFF ... slow" formula.
I've got a feeling you know this one already (and... it's not really doomy either...) but I've had this COC song in my head for most of the last several hours - mixing around with something by Argus (not all that relevant, but a Candlemassy band) and some recent Vital Remains (not relevant at all (well, maybe...)).

Oh yeah, another song that's in my head a hell of a lot more often is Trouble's The Tempter - it should be on their myspace right now. Perfect match for what you described, but again, got a feeling you know it already... anyway, everybody should check it.

edit - Mastodon's Bladecatcher and Suffocation's Bind Torture Kill (both 2006) may fit the bill - yay offtopic
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
19.04.2009 - 22:47
Zergaloth

The song by CoC is not really what I'm looking for. Trouble's The Tempter is a good one though, thanks.
The song can be really slow all the way through, but should explode at a certain point, not necessarily for a long time.
Other songs that came to mind were Space Lord (Monster Magnet), Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath .. duh), Utopian Blaster (Cathedral), ...

I don't know. I really seem to get a kick out of those songs when they change speed.
Hammer of Doom is really the best example I can give... That really explodes with a short but BANG IN YOUR NUTS piece of guitarwork and voice.
Although "If I Ever Die" is a bit too fast all the way through, it also has this sudden speed change in tempo that I crave so much.

It's probably just something that feels different for everyone. Some chorusses or riffs seem rather dull to me although a lot of people can go crazy when it's being played. My quest to find more of these slow-slow-speed songs is probably a long one I'll have to go through all alone...

(Suffocation's Bind Torture Kill has what I'm looking for. Though I prefer this speed-up especially in doom songs.)
20.04.2009 - 03:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Zergaloth on 19.04.2009 at 22:47

I don't know. I really seem to get a kick out of those songs when they change speed.

Then you should also try The Funeral Of An Age by Procession (from Chile) around 7.20 or 7.30 tht song also changes pace totally.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.04.2009 - 01:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I read you talked about power doom, try Memory Garden from Sweden its in doom-metal described like power doom, its doom lil whit power elemnts, good band even I prefere cover songs like ''Country Girl'' ''The Niedle Lies'' better how band soriginals, but originals aint no bad to.
----

apos;'
[image]
22.04.2009 - 10:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I love how this band sounds like a more dramatic, depressing version of iced earth or something lol

what i do like most about it is the epic and dramatic vocal work(regardless of the vocalist doing it)
22.04.2009 - 14:10
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Zergaloth on 19.04.2009 at 22:47
(Suffocation's Bind Torture Kill has what I'm looking for. Though I prefer this speed-up especially in doom songs.)
Usurper might have a few good ones too... Warriors of Iron and Rust is on youtube (not sure if that's the 00 or 05 version) and there's Necronemesis (featuring King Diamond) and Full Moon Harvest on their myspace. Also possibly The Dead of Winter from their EP if you can find it somewhere, but it's been a while since I last heard that - could just be heavy acoustics transitioning to heavy electrics. Damn... how come all the bands I'm mentioning are from USA... Yeah I should be finished now lol.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
22.04.2009 - 14:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Back on-topic please. Suffocation, Usurper have nothing to do with Candlemass or the musci Candlemass plays.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996