Metal Storm logo
Warning

Original post

Posted by , 16.08.2008 - 21:04
This is without a doubt the find of the year for me. I was hunting down bands like early Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus when I discovered them. What I didn't expect was to find a band that beat the two of them out of the water hands down. I'm of course talking about the 'Watching From a Distance' release. Though it isn't traditional doom like the afformentioned bands, it does deliver a very similar feel and atmosphere: utterly emotionally draining. Musically it's far slower and doomier than typical traditional doom, quite often being akin to funeral doom but each and every stroke of the guitar is spot on and combine perfectly with the immense vocals performed by Pat Walker. It should also be noted the album has garnered 97% from 7 reviews on Metal Archives.

Rather than take my word for it here's Lucas Ruijs' superb review:
http://metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=5786&page=&message_id=
09.01.2009 - 18:31
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Awful news. Although the cynic in me says that they could never have topped "Watching From A Distance" anyway.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
09.01.2009 - 18:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 09.01.2009 at 13:44

Warning are no more =[

I guess we can take comfort in the fact that they've probably already made the album of their career.

it is indeed a sad day, but i think you are right on that point... "WFaD" would definitely be extremely hard to even match, never mind top. at the very least they graced us with that gem.

and besides, who knows? they went eight years in between albums... so there is plenty of time between now and 2015 to kiss, make up, and cut another great doom album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.01.2009 - 02:16
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by BitterCOld on 09.01.2009 at 18:33

and besides, who knows? they went eight years in between albums... so there is plenty of time between now and 2015 to kiss, make up, and cut another great doom album.

heh, that's something i realize only now... they split up before and returned with a brilliant album. So yeah, perhaps this is only for the best.

and if not, I can live with the fact that they only released The Strength To Dream & Watching From A Distance.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
10.01.2009 - 10:03
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Every serious doomster in this world should make a serious attempt to shut up that asshole Caspian, revier of metal-archives and metal-observer... I mean, everything has his/her own tastes blah blah blah but relativism has a limit... I mean, someone who considers himself a doom metal elitist and rates albums like Watching From A Distance with a 2/10, Spirits by Bitterdusk (that hurted my nationalist chauvinism) with a 35/100, The Bees Made Honey... with a 40/100 or Crypticorifislit by Senthil with a 0/100 shouldn't be allowed to write.
10.01.2009 - 13:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 10.01.2009 at 10:03

Every serious doomster in this world should make a serious attempt to shut up that asshole Caspian, revier of metal-archives and metal-observer... I mean, everything has his/her own tastes blah blah blah but relativism has a limit... I mean, someone who considers himself a doom metal elitist and rates albums like Watching From A Distance with a 2/10, Spirits by Bitterdusk (that hurted my nationalist chauvinism) with a 35/100, The Bees Made Honey... with a 40/100 or Crypticorifislit by Senthil with a 0/100 shouldn't be allowed to write.

Yeah I read his Warning review once again yesterday and it really cracked me up. He really doesn't know what he's talking about. And, like you said, the hilarious thing is he considers himself a doom metal elitist. I can understand people not like Watching From A Distance because of its overtly emotional vocals but then rating My Dying Bride - A Line of Deathless Kings a 80/100 that is just stupendous cause the vocals there are even more over the top and hilariously whiny and his major gripe with Watching From A Distance was its vocals and lyrics.
He considers himself a doom metal elitist whereas the stuff he likes best is just borderline doom (and metal) at best.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2009 - 12:43
TheBigRossowski

Written by Blood Red Moon on 13.01.2009 at 01:23

I listen to Watching from a Distance at least 3 or 4 times a day. I love this album

By the look of things, this is growing into quite an obsession for you, isn't it?;)

That album was really genius, it's shitty to hear of this break up. They could have at least headlined the show and THEN called it quits! Bummer to all the fans. His vocals are so haunting and strong... I've listened to Echoes about a thousand times and my wife is getting quite irritated
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
13.01.2009 - 14:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by TheBigRossowski on 13.01.2009 at 12:43

I listen to Watching from a Distance at least 3 or 4 times a day. I love this album

By the look of things, this is growing into quite an obsession for you, isn't it?;)

That album was really genius, it's shitty to hear of this break up. They could have at least headlined the show and THEN called it quits! Bummer to all the fans. His vocals are so haunting and strong... I've listened to Echoes about a thousand times and my wife is getting quite irritated

BUmmer for me, who was going to see them ONCE AGAIN at Doom Shall Rise
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2009 - 14:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

I know the feeling I had the same thing early to mid last year. At least 3- 4 spins a day. Now I am down to once a day.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2009 - 15:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Anyone interested in a acoustic rendition of Bridges done by Pat walker solo clikc on thsi link: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Gguswzurkts
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.01.2009 - 15:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.01.2009 at 15:26

Anyone interested in a acoustic rendition of Bridges done by Pat walker solo clikc on thsi link: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Gguswzurkts

Thanks! Sounds good, although the quality isn't too great. And the mumblings of the people present is also slightly annoying. Otherwise, great performance although I prefer the regular version.

But live beats both studio version and acoustic version.
----

13.01.2009 - 21:45
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Very nice, Marcel. thanks for the link.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.01.2009 - 07:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Blood Red Moon on 13.01.2009 at 20:59

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.01.2009 at 15:26

That was incredible! Thanks!

Did they really drop off of Doom Shall Rise? They seemed the only band worth going to see.

Yes they did drop off because they split up
The rest of the line-up is pretty awesome as well if you're into doom and more specifically traditional doom.
Griftegard are brilliant l(musically very reminiscent of Warning)
The Lamp Of Thoth are great live
Lord Vicar released a brilliant ep and full-length in 2008 and is a doom supergroup of sorts with members and ex-members of Reverend Bizarre, Centurions Ghost, Count Raven/St. Vitus in its line-up
Pagan Altar are great too at their nwobhm/doom
Revelation is a great band of yore
Wino solo should be fun as well
Black Shape Of Nexus are immensely intense live
and i am really looking forward to Reino Ermitaño since they are one of the very few bands with female vocals I can stand.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.01.2009 - 16:11
Hamird
Lieutenant
Well, this band is really interesting! They release albums once a decade. But as I said before, I prefer a few EXCELLENT works than many shitty works. And I really found this band interesting. In fact Warning (+ Candlemass) are the only Doom band that I really liked them. So I hope I will be alive, and listen to another album of Warning in future.
10.02.2009 - 09:39
Mo)))urner
Account deleted
As Marcel wrote there will be no further album 'cause they split up. But i think Patrick Walker will keep up making great doom with a new band in the future. Keep your eyes open!

By the way, the final line up for the Doom Shall Rise Festival is:

Black Shape of Nexus (D)
Extorian (D)
Griftegård (SWE)
Lord of the Grave (CH)
Lord Vicar (FIN/SWE/UK)
Omega Massif (D)
Pagan Altar (UK)
Procession (CHILE)
Reino Ermitaño (PERU)
Revelation (USA)
Semlah (SWE)
shEver (CH)
Syrach (NOR)
The Lamp of Thoth (UK)
Tortured Spirit (D)
Voodooshock (D)
Wino (USA)
11.01.2010 - 11:45
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I just heard part of their Blessed by the Sabbath demo and I like it more than Watching From A Distance. Less whiny, more heavy and Sabbathy
11.01.2010 - 11:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dangerboner on 11.01.2010 at 11:45

I just heard part of their Blessed by the Sabbath demo and I like it more than Watching From A Distance. Less whiny, more heavy and Sabbathy

Yes, but less original as well. Totally lacking the emotion (whininess if you like) of Watching From A Distance. But then again, The Strength To Dream is also more straight forward like their demos. The demos were however included with the die-hard version of Watching From A Distance when it was first released by Miskatonic. I am still watiing for a re-release of the demos by Doomdealer (as they were planning to release them on cd or vinyl)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.04.2010 - 20:08
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I was wondering about the lyrics of the song The Strength To Dream..

"But for now depression smiles down upon me;
Oh, what I would give to know you.
A elbereth gilthoniel, silvren penna míriel .... etc." (Tolkein quote in elvish)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Elbereth_Gilthoniel

Where he says "oh what I would give to know you" .. in the context of the song, who is he talking about?
God? depression? a lover?
just curious...
13.05.2010 - 22:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Pat Walker is back with a new project... 40 Watt Sun.

shitty quality vid taken from Doom Shall Rise.
----

15.05.2010 - 04:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BitterCOld on 13.05.2010 at 22:02

Pat Walker is back with a new project... 40 Watt Sun.

shitty quality vid taken from Doom Shall Rise.

Oh yeah rub it in that I couldn't get all those off of work. As if I haven't heard enough about it from the Rotterdoom crowd and some others as well who were there (bands and audience) Hell even tonight at Heathen's gig I was reminded of missing DSR and especially 40 Watt Sun.
But then who am I to complain compared to you in sunny Arizona where you get less than zero doom gigs.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.05.2010 - 09:08
the stranger

I have just heard Watching From A Distance a couple days ago. Really good, pretty impressive, I normally don't like too much Trad Doom, but this one is great, amazing.
27.05.2010 - 11:51
Mikyz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.05.2010 at 04:26

Oh yeah rub it in that I couldn't get all those off of work. As if I haven't heard enough about it from the Rotterdoom crowd and some others as well who were there (bands and audience) Hell even tonight at Heathen's gig I was reminded of missing DSR and especially 40 Watt Sun.
But then who am I to complain compared to you in sunny Arizona where you get less than zero doom gigs.

Yeah, well here I get less than zero gigs in everything but Dance Music, YAY!
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
27.05.2010 - 14:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Mikyz on 27.05.2010 at 11:51

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.05.2010 at 04:26

Yeah, well here I get less than zero gigs in everything but Dance Music, YAY!

My whining is of course a luxury problem, to be honest
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.05.2010 - 04:29
Got Mayhem?

I think I'm ready to admit I like this band. At first, the vocals were some of the whiniest sounds I had heard since Agalloch but after awhile I think I've come to not only not mind them, but enjoy them.

Basically, they do everything right that a Trad Doom band should be doing right.
----
10.09.2010 - 12:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Shit on a cracker, I think I might've found the next Warning: Pallbearer. They only have one, three song demo out but it's pretty phenomenal. Very similar to Warning at times with slightly different but equally excellent vocals

http://www.myspace.com/pallbearerdoom
10.09.2010 - 12:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 12:31

Shit on a cracker, I think I might've found the next Warning: Pallbearer. They only have one, three song demo out but it's pretty phenomenal. Very similar to Warning with slightly differenrt but equally excellent vocals

Bugger me sideway, that IS some great stuff. How did you stumble across them? I haven't seen their name mentioned on any of the
doom forums like Hellride Music, Miskatonic Board or the Pagan Altar forum.
Seems like they don't have anything out yet. Crap.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2010 - 12:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2010 at 12:34

Shit on a cracker, I think I might've found the next Warning: Pallbearer. They only have one, three song demo out but it's pretty phenomenal. Very similar to Warning with slightly differenrt but equally excellent vocals

Bugger me sideway, that IS some great stuff. How did you stumble across them? I haven't seen their name mentioned on any of the

Good old last.fm! Saw a bunch of people mentioned them on the Warning page and checked em out straight away. Apparently they have a full length out early next year.
10.09.2010 - 12:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 12:36

Good old last.fm! Saw a bunch of people mentioned them on the Warning page and checked em out straight away. Apparently they have a full length out early next year.

Any idea what label?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2010 - 12:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 12:36

I see their 2010 demo can be downloaded for free from their website http://www.pallbearerdoom.com/
and there it says Shadown Kingdom will be releasing it. Great.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2010 - 12:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2010 at 12:38

Any idea what label?

Shadow King Records apparently: http://www.pallbearerdoom.com/ and http://shadowkingdomrecords.com/

Try and get (download I guess) the demo (it's on mediafire) if you can because the third track not on Myspace is pretty goddamn wow...

Oh you already got it
10.09.2010 - 12:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 12:41

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2010 at 12:38

Any idea what label?

Shadow King Records apparently: http://www.pallbearerdoom.com/ and http://shadowkingdomrecords.com/

Try and get (download I guess) the demo (it's on mediafire) if you can because the third track not on Myspace is pretty goddamn wow...

Oh you already got it

Yep and immediately e-mailed my doom dealer to get the full length in stock once it's out
But knowing Psychedoomelic he will certainly stock it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996