Metal Storm logo
Warning

Original post

Posted by , 16.08.2008 - 21:04
This is without a doubt the find of the year for me. I was hunting down bands like early Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus when I discovered them. What I didn't expect was to find a band that beat the two of them out of the water hands down. I'm of course talking about the 'Watching From a Distance' release. Though it isn't traditional doom like the afformentioned bands, it does deliver a very similar feel and atmosphere: utterly emotionally draining. Musically it's far slower and doomier than typical traditional doom, quite often being akin to funeral doom but each and every stroke of the guitar is spot on and combine perfectly with the immense vocals performed by Pat Walker. It should also be noted the album has garnered 97% from 7 reviews on Metal Archives.

Rather than take my word for it here's Lucas Ruijs' superb review:
http://metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=5786&page=&message_id=
10.09.2010 - 12:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2010 at 12:45

Yep and immediately e-mailed my doom dealer to get the full length in stock once it's out
But knowing Psychedoomelic he will certainly stock it.

Haha, fingers crossed for both of us it's good. Too many times bands change their sound from demo's to the first full length and it doesn't quite match up. Hopefully they'll keep it the same.
10.09.2010 - 12:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 12:46

Yep and immediately e-mailed my doom dealer to get the full length in stock once it's out

Haha, fingers crossed for both of us it's good. Too many times bands change their sound from demo's to the first full length and it doesn't quite match up. Hopefully they'll keep it the same.

Doom bands usually stick to the same sound, I have experienced. Except for Warning that is
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2010 - 12:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2010 at 12:48

Doom bands usually stick to the same sound, I have experienced. Except for Warning that is

Speaking of Warning they didn't even cite them as an influence on their myspace o.O
10.09.2010 - 12:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 12:51

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2010 at 12:48

Speaking of Warning they didn't even cite them as an influence on their myspace o.O

If there is one huge influence it certainly is warning I would say.
Shame for mentioning Paul Chain though. Cheesy Italian doom at it's worst if you ask me.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2010 - 13:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2010 at 12:55

Shame for mentioning Paul Chain though. Cheesy Italian doom at it's worst if you ask me.

Don't think I've ever listened to him, I guess I avoid him in the future.
10.09.2010 - 13:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 13:01

That depends if you view Italian doom like me. If so then sure as hell steer clear
There are very very very few italian metal bands I can stomach. There is something extremely over the top cheesy about 99% of Italian metal bands
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2010 - 13:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2010 at 13:14

That depends if you view Italian doom like me. If so then sure as hell steer clear
There are very very very few italian metal bands I can stomach. There is something extremely over the top cheesy about 99% of Italian metal bands

Hmm I remember thinking that the blackened doom scene was pretty decent, Forgotton Tomb (before they changed their sound), Beatrìk, Melencolia Estatica and maybe a few others I can't think of at the moment but as for the regular doom side I don't think I've ever paid that much attention to it. Except I remember not really liking Doomsword.
10.09.2010 - 13:20
Daniell
_爱情_
Marcel, visit doom-metal more often. I heard about Pallbearer there
10.09.2010 - 13:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Daniell on 10.09.2010 at 13:20

Marcel, visit doom-metal more often. I heard about Pallbearer there

I go there on a daily basis. But it's better for extreme doom than classic doom.

Must have somehow missed it there.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2010 - 13:22
Daniell
_爱情_
By the way, a brilliant name for a doom band!
10.09.2010 - 13:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Hahahaha I missed have been totally blind cause there's even FOUR pages on those guys in a single thread on Hellride
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2010 - 23:42
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 13:19

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2010 at 13:14

Hmm I remember thinking that the blackened doom scene was pretty decent, Forgotton Tomb (before they changed their sound), Beatrìk, Melencolia Estatica and maybe a few others I can't think of at the moment but as for the regular doom side I don't think I've ever paid that much attention to it. Except I remember not really liking Doomsword.

Not to forget the best of them all Arcana Coelestia , their stuff is mind blowing
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
10.09.2010 - 23:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 10.09.2010 at 23:42

Not to forget the best of them all Arcana Coelestia , their stuff is mind blowing

To be honest I can't tell you if I've heard them or not. There are so many bands with similar sounding names I'm running out of space to remember them all.
10.09.2010 - 23:52
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 23:46

To be honest I can't tell you if I've heard them or not. There are so many bands with similar sounding names I'm running out of space to remember them all.

http://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=4279

Be sure to check them out if you haven't , their 2009 release got a big hype around it
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
10.09.2010 - 23:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 10.09.2010 at 23:52

Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 23:46

http://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=4279

Be sure to check them out if you haven't , their 2009 release got a big hype around it

Definitely haven't heard that then. Seems Lucas regards it highly too. Will check asap!
12.09.2010 - 00:35
TheBigRossowski

Damn, I wish I had a Warning shirt
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
12.09.2010 - 13:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by TheBigRossowski on 12.09.2010 at 00:35

Damn, I wish I had a Warning shirt

I wish I had one too
when I saw them live the largest size they sold was L and that was way too small for my belly.
So, I am still on the look-out in on-line distros if they have any xxl Warning shirts.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.09.2010 - 12:36
Daniell
_爱情_
As great as Warning is, and it is, Pat Walker's vocals are very unique, and I'm not surprised if someone doesn't like them.
Maybe not the best of comparisons, but they're like CoF - you either hate or love them. Either way, they rank among the most emotional and soul-touching vocals ever.
13.09.2010 - 14:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I can totally understand people disliking Warning due to their vocals. Just as I dislike current My Dying Bride due to the vocals. Or Cradle of Filth for that matter. Or me lving Primordial but loads of people also disliking them for the unique vocals.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.09.2010 - 15:30
Daniell
_爱情_
Primordial vocals! Some of the best vocals in extreme music. Nemtheanga is absolutely brilliant and "To the Nameless Dead" is one of the best releases of the last 10 years at least. Vocals in "Heathen Tribes" are simply unmatched.
13.09.2010 - 16:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
To you and me they are probable the best in extreme music and To The Nameless Dead one of the best of the past decade. But to a lot of people the vocals really puts them off. Which I can understand.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.09.2010 - 18:33
MeloDeathViking

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.09.2010 at 16:25

To you and me they are probable the best in extreme music and To The Nameless Dead one of the best of the past decade. But to a lot of people the vocals really puts them off. Which I can understand.

I'm actually one of those people, I keep meaning to go back and give them another shot and just never remember. I like the music, it was just something about the vocals that annoyed me, I couldn't tell you what in particular.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
17.09.2010 - 14:48
Aristarchos

Warning must have one of the best vocals I've heard
08.03.2011 - 21:29
spirit_inblack
harshhead
So who's digging on the new 40 Watt Sun album?
09.03.2011 - 09:20
Mikyz

Written by spirit_inblack on 08.03.2011 at 21:29

I am. It's pretty solid and very much carries some similarities with Warning, including the vocals, but it isn't anywhere near the level of Watching from a Distance, it doesn't have the crushing edge that made WfaD so overwhelming even if it does carry as much emotion, so if you enjoy Warning you'll certainly like 40 Watt Sun.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
09.03.2011 - 12:35
Slayer666

Written by Mikyz on 09.03.2011 at 09:20

I am. It's pretty solid and very much carries some similarities with Warning, including the vocals, but it isn't anywhere near the level of Watching from a Distance, it doesn't have the crushing edge that made WfaD so overwhelming even if it does carry as much emotion, so if you enjoy Warning you'll certainly like 40 Watt Sun.

Heh, weird. I think it's almost up there with Watching From a Distance, plus it has slightly more variety.
I only listened to it once, so I should probably give it a few more spins before making final judgment, though.
09.03.2011 - 13:00
Luneth
Account deleted
Listened to their first album last night. Was very impressed, though the lyrics don't really come across as 'conventionally' epic, (possibly Gothic?) it was very good music! 'The Return' really blew me away lyrically and musically, such a sad song...
09.03.2011 - 15:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Mikyz on 09.03.2011 at 09:20

Agreed on that. It's good, maybe even very good, but it feels a little light at times and lacks the drama of Warning. I'll still be listening to it a lot I think.
09.03.2011 - 19:28
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
The only word that I can think of when I compare 40 Watt Sun to Warning is "modern". 40 Watt Sun has distinctively modern and I'd say urban sound while Warning mostly conjured up more "archaic" images (or more timeless, if you will). That being said, I guess I'll be listening to the 40 Watt Sun much more in the following weeks.
Also, I find the first two songs from "Watching from a Distance", especially "Footprints", to be immensely superior to those that follow. Don't know why exactly. And I still don't like the lyrics that much.
10.03.2011 - 02:15
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Written by Daniell on 13.09.2010 at 12:36

As great as Warning is, and it is, Pat Walker's vocals are very unique, and I'm not surprised if someone doesn't like them.

Yeah, I'm not surprised either. When I first picked up Watching From a Distance I had a hard time getting into it. But after the 4th or 5th listen, the vocals had grown on me exponentially. They are depressing, sorrowful, etc. but without sounding whiny IMO. Now they are among my favorite clean vocals in a metal band ever.