05. Jesus Saves
06. Criminally Insane
07. Reborn
08. Epidemic
09. Postmortem
10. Raining Blood
11. Aggressive Perfector [1998 re-release bonus]
12. Criminally Insane [remix version] [1998 re-release bonus]

For more than a decade, Slayer has proudly fused thrash and speed metal into loud, offering doomish dirges, voraciously boisterous and blasphemous songs groaning over lyrics that depict madness, suicide and murder in excess, a style which should definetly suit a ten-year-old metalhead. On October 7, 1986, Slayer released what was to become their masterpiece, "Reign In Blood". An album discribed by Kerrang! Magazine as "the heaviest album of all time" and peaked at number 22 on Metal Storm's "top 100 albums of all time" survey, a position that only "the crème de la crème" bands could get. Believe me, reviewing a very popular album from a very popular band isn't easy at all, but sometimes justice must be done.

"Reign In Blood" could be summed up in four simple words, strenuous, volatile, asymmetrical and brutal...maybe too brutal. At first I was completely blown away by its amazing structural proficiency, I couldn't get over it. Fortunately, there was a day when I realized that except Metallica, even a band from "the big four" could suck. The answer is pretty clear now, this is a notoriously inconsistent effort.

The journey commences with "Angel Of Death", an impressive opener , built around ultra-fast repetitive thrash riffs followed by... well, rigourous barks and high-pitched growls of Tom Araya, but that's vocally speaking, sure there's nothing inherently bad with it. However, even the most ardent fans of Slayer will admit that the one-dimentional vocals of Mr Araya are probably the thing that should be removed from Reign In Blood. In case you haven't noticed it yet, the singer tries his best to mix things up without resorting to clean vocals, and I don't blame him for that, at least he screams like a man not like Dave Mustaine. Songs like "Raining Blood" and "Angel Of Death" are the album's highlights, despite being too uniformed for some to stomach, they are quite catchy with their crushing guitar riffs and the furiously thunderous drumming. However, in its entirety, the album is not as consistently memorable as "South Of Heaven", but let's make it clear, I've never been a fan of Slayer and if they're going to stick on "Christ Illusion meets Reign In blood" style I won't be, but to be fair, there was a time when I liked Slayer pretty much, I liked Reign In Blood though but not anymore, these guys don't deserve to be a part of "the big four" neither does Megadeth.

In the end of the day, Slayer will always have an audience because their discography is worth picking up, but when it comes to this album here's my advice, listen to it for one year or maybe two and then throw it away. Folks, I give you "the most overrated album of all time"... Reign In Blood.

Written by Mindheist | 14.08.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Edible Autopsy
Rating:
The greatest metal record of all time. This topic is often debated upon in the Metal Kingdom and to most there is no definite answer. A worthy contender for this title is Slayer's 1986 masterpiece, Reign In Blood. Few albums withstand the test of time as well and even fewer have had such a huge impact on the metal world as this one.

Read more ››
published 24.09.2003 | Comments (66)

Guest review by
Stuart
Rating:
Where does one begin reviewing an album with as much hype and influence as this? An album branded as revolutionary and with such a fanatical following. It is always going to be a difficult task, so I ask that for a moment we forget the hype surrounding this album and we look at the musical value it holds.

Reign in Blood was in many ways a brave new world for Slayer. It had a completely different sound to anything before it; they abandoned all the pretentiousness of the long, drawn out, complex song structures they had experimented with on Haunting the Chapel and Hell Awaits. In this, it was far more accessible, yet they didn't sacrifice any of their integrity or alienate any of their core fan base. Their intention was quite clear, that this was to be the fastest, heaviest, angriest music ever to be unleashed on human ears.

Read more ››
published 04.04.2008 | Comments (18)

Comments page 5 / 7

Comments: 207   Visited by: 689 users
24.03.2011 - 16:46
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 24.03.2011 at 15:00

PEOPLE! i didnt say they didnt sell the most. i said they weren't all that good (or THE BEST if you want) to be calle the BIG 4. nothing more. but i dont give a shit about the sales in order to call a band great. metallica sell albums to non-metalheads. so do anthrax.

The Big Four moniker is not related to quality. It's about quantity. That is why Metallica and co. are considered the "big four" of thrash. I assumed you knew that, so when you said they didn't belong to the Big Four, I had to bring up the fact that ya...they sold (and continue to sell) a lot of albums. Whether or not those sales are reflective of "metalheads" is irrelevant.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.03.2011 - 17:17
Yasmine

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2011 at 16:46

PEOPLE! i didnt say they didnt sell the most. i said they weren't all that good (or THE BEST if you want) to be calle the BIG 4. nothing more. but i dont give a shit about the sales in order to call a band great. metallica sell albums to non-metalheads. so do anthrax.

The Big Four moniker is not related to quality. It's about quantity. That is why Metallica and co. are considered the "big four" of thrash. I assumed you knew that, so when you said they didn't belong to the Big Four, I had to bring up the fact that ya...they sold (and continue to sell) a lot of albums. Whether or not those sales are reflective of "metalheads" is irrelevant.

I doubt it has much to do with metalheads, most of the people I know with Metallica albums have Danity Kane, 50 cent, Korn or Garth Brooks albums too.....
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
24.03.2011 - 17:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 17:17

I doubt it has much to do with metalheads, most of the people I know with Metallica albums have Danity Kane, 50 cent, Korn or Garth Brooks albums too.....

If anything that just supports my argument that the Big Four is about quantity. Obviously if people who listen to popular music have more "open" tastes (thus, more or less drinking the water from a variety of lakes, so to speak) happen to test out bands from the metal realm, who are they going to look for? The popular bands. Bands like Metallica and Slayer are synonymous with popular thrash, just like Megadeth and Anthrax.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.03.2011 - 18:00
Yasmine

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2011 at 17:57

Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 17:17

If anything that just supports my argument that the Big Four is about quantity. Obviously if people who listen to popular music have more "open" tastes (thus, more or less drinking the water from a variety of lakes, so to speak) happen to test out bands from the metal realm, who are they going to look for? The popular bands. Bands like Metallica and Slayer are synonymous with popular thrash, just like Megadeth and Anthrax.

I wouldn't say its about open tastes so much as trying to move with the flow, but I agree with the end result of your theory the big 4 is an argument ad populium. To think otherwise is to kid myself. There's a lot lacking in both Metallica and Megadeth's discography now.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
24.03.2011 - 18:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 18:00

There's a lot lacking in both Metallica and Megadeth's discography now.

A LOT.

Although, Slayer had some stinkers too. Just not this one.
----
24.03.2011 - 18:08
Yasmine

OH no they did for sure, I just never thought any metal album could stink as much as the black album. lol
----
24.03.2011 - 18:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 18:08

I just never thought any metal album could stink as much as the black album. lol

If you indeed consider that a metal album. That's why I've always preferred Slayer: Despite their hardcore punk/groove phase, they've never strayed far from metal. While Metallica released a bunch of rock albums, Slayer still thrashed. And I'd take RiB over MoP any day.
----
24.03.2011 - 18:15
Yasmine

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.03.2011 at 18:11

Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 18:08

I just never thought any metal album could stink as much as the black album. lol

If you indeed consider that a metal album. That's why I've always preferred Slayer: Despite their hardcore punk/groove phase, they've never strayed far from metal. While Metallica released a bunch of rock albums, Slayer still thrashed. And I'd take RiB over MoP any day.

Well no actually, I mean really the album was a rock album they hoped to pass off as mainstream metal. But imo lacks the thrash sound altogether, so no I don't. However I'm sure some or many of their fans want it to be called a metal album. lol

Agree there. I always liked agressive thrash riffing, IE Agent Steel, Annihilator, Testament. I favor the faster stuff.
----
24.03.2011 - 18:47
Rating: 10
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher

sadly i know that, i've discussed it also in the past. it's just that i cannot accept it....
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
24.03.2011 - 22:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Deadmeat on 24.03.2011 at 18:47

sadly i know that, i've discussed it also in the past. it's just that i cannot accept it....

Not being capable of accepting the truth and go all "they don't deserve blablablabuaaa" like one is trying to dismiss histort and recreate is quite another thing.
I sincerely don't really like those bands except for a couple of albums here and there but I can see CLEARLY why they are the big 4 of thrash back in the day. The impact on their albums is far greater than any other and that it's not something that you accept or not, it's a fact.

It's like I would say that I can't accept that Venom influenced and have a huge reputation for the black emtal masses...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.03.2011 - 00:30
RavenKing

@Deadmeat: This Big Four crap is only a matter of quantity, sales, etc. It has nothing to do with musical quality.

As for Metallica's self-titled album, it's a sold out piece of shit I don't even consider as metal.

@Yasmine: I think our tastes in Thrash might be close. When it comes to Thrash, I like only the most extreme stuff.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
25.03.2011 - 00:58
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

more whining about the bands who comprise the Big Four... i've added this to the Metalstorm Drinking game. congrats. your inability to accept reality now fuels the drinking habits of others!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.03.2011 - 01:01
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.03.2011 at 22:11

Not being capable of accepting the truth and go all "they don't deserve blablablabuaaa" like one is trying to dismiss histort and recreate is quite another thing.
I sincerely don't really like those bands except for a couple of albums here and there but I can see CLEARLY why they are the big 4 of thrash back in the day. The impact on their albums is far greater than any other and that it's not something that you accept or not, it's a fact.

It's like I would say that I can't accept that Venom influenced and have a huge reputation for the black emtal masses...

you just didnt get me. it's not i cannot understand it. it's just that i cannot live with the fact that the term "big4" comes out from the sales etc of the bands. i despise this fact. i dont like it. so i dont accept it. if you get me.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
25.03.2011 - 01:03
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by BitterCOld on 25.03.2011 at 00:58

more whining about the bands who comprise the Big Four... i've added this to the Metalstorm Drinking game. congrats. your inability to accept reality now fuels the drinking habits of others!

i just answered 2 minutes ago. it's not that i cannot accept reality. it's that i dont like it. now go drink your bier and stop trying to "ride the bitching"...
----
25.03.2011 - 01:12
RavenKing

Written by Deadmeat on 25.03.2011 at 01:01

you just didnt get me. it's not i cannot understand it. it's just that i cannot live with the fact that the term "big4" comes out from the sales etc of the bands. i despise this fact. i dont like it. so i dont accept it. if you get me.

Like you, I think it should be otherwise. That's why I despise the term "Big Four" and show no respect to this marketing trick.
You don't need to accept it. All you need to do is saying "fuck this crap, I don't care".
----
25.03.2011 - 01:16
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by RavenKing on 25.03.2011 at 01:12

Like you, I think it should be otherwise. That's why I despise the term "Big Four" and show no respect to this marketing trick.
You don't need to accept it. All you need to do is saying "fuck this crap, I don't care".

thats exactly what i say mate and some people think that someone who doesnt like it cannot accept reallity!
----
25.03.2011 - 01:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Oh well, I do get you now. Sad but true dude... sad but true.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.03.2011 - 01:44
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.03.2011 at 01:32

Oh well, I do get you now. Sad but true dude... sad but true.

indeed...
----
25.03.2011 - 07:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
@deadmeat since when does the word "big" stand fo quality? And even the term quality is immensely subjective because imo not a single one of Sodom, Kreator, Destruction's albums comes close to the best albums qualitywise released by the Big 4
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.03.2011 - 08:27
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Wait... Megadeth shouldn't be part of the big four? Are you kidding? Have you heard any of their first 4 albums? Furthermore, you didn't at all describe why you dislike this particular album. You pretty much just said, "I'm not a Slayer fan, and I don't like Tom's vocals". What about the middle is not memorable? This album is thrash done right- Fast heavy riffs, powerful vocals, and crazy solos. Sure it may be overrated to an extent... But it's pretty damn good...
26.03.2011 - 16:36
Sepulnation

Written by R'Vannith on 23.03.2011 at 15:17

Written by RavenKing on 23.03.2011 at 13:37

Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.03.2011 at 13:02

Written by Sepulnation on 22.03.2011 at 14:45

These guys don't deserve to be a part of "the big four" neither does Megadeth. ironic???

Who the hell do you consider worthy of that distinction then?

I don't consider the term "Big Four" as any kind of distinction or anything special. It's only a stupid marketing trick.
Humans feel the urge to invent pointless concepts sometimes.
Especially as it does not have to do with musical quality and you can find much better Thrash bands.

Exactly, its always been a totally superfluous idea

ha ha ha! Really I don't consider worthy this distinction... I enjoy Thrash music and nothing else matters xD
----
fuck shit up!
26.03.2011 - 16:52
RavenKing

Written by Sepulnation on 26.03.2011 at 16:36

I enjoy Thrash music and nothing else matters xD

But Nothing Else Matters is not Thrash.

I don't know if the pun was intended.
----
26.03.2011 - 16:53
Sepulnation

Written by RavenKing on 26.03.2011 at 16:52

Written by Sepulnation on 26.03.2011 at 16:36

I enjoy Thrash music and nothing else matters xD

But Nothing Else Matters is not Thrash. (joke)

ahhahahaha "I fail", noo.. I know
----
fuck shit up!
26.03.2011 - 21:14
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.03.2011 at 07:32

@deadmeat since when does the word "big" stand fo quality? And even the term quality is immensely subjective because imo not a single one of Sodom, Kreator, Destruction's albums comes close to the best albums qualitywise released by the Big 4

as you said, IN YOUR OPINION. you'll find many people and i am one of them claiming that COMA OF SOULS is better than any megadeth or anthrax album. and i am mentioning only those 2 bands cause they are by far weaker than the "good metallica" and "good slayer". on the other hand after 1990 both of them didn't resurrect that good as kreator for example did....

about the word "big", if we change it and make it "best" then it surely goes out for quality right? that's the way many people "think" about this word. i wouldn't have the problem for a word like "popular". but "big", comes close to "best" or equivelant words if you get me
----
26.03.2011 - 21:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 26.03.2011 at 21:14

about the word "big", if we change it and make it "best" then it surely goes out for quality right?

..."big", comes close to "best" or equivelant words if you get me

Of course. Because you're changing the word to mean something entirely different. "Big" is a matter of size, and in terms of a band, big refers to popularity, not quality - unless of course you're judging a monolithic release or something along those lines. That's the exception.

When I think of a "big" band (i.e. Children of Bodom) it equates primarily to their popularity factor.
When I think of a "best" band (i.e. Esoteric) it equates to the quality of music they produce.
----
26.03.2011 - 21:46
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2011 at 21:28

Written by Deadmeat on 26.03.2011 at 21:14

about the word "big", if we change it and make it "best" then it surely goes out for quality right?

..."big", comes close to "best" or equivelant words if you get me

Of course. Because you're changing the word to mean something entirely different. "Big" is a matter of size, and in terms of a band, big refers to popularity, not quality - unless of course you're judging a monolithic release or something along those lines. That's the exception.

When I think of a "big" band (i.e. Children of Bodom) it equates primarily to their popularity factor.
When I think of a "best" band (i.e. Esoteric) it equates to the quality of music they produce.

then maybe it comes out of which language someone speaks. in my language (Greek), the word big is closer to the word best
----
26.03.2011 - 21:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 26.03.2011 at 21:46

then maybe it comes out of which language someone speaks. in my language (Greek), the word big is closer to the word best

My knowledge of Greece is limited to naked men wrestling each other, so I'll assume you're right and concede with the ol' "fair enough".
----
26.03.2011 - 22:03
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2011 at 21:48

Written by Deadmeat on 26.03.2011 at 21:46

My knowledge of Greece is limited to naked men wrestling each other, so I'll assume you're right and concede with the ol' "fair enough".

you should have more knowledge of greece on "naked women loving each other" ( ) than that!
----
26.03.2011 - 22:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Sorry but we're on an English language forum and not Greek one so bog refers to size and not quality.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2011 - 23:01
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2011 at 22:09

Sorry but we're on an English language forum and not Greek one so bog refers to size and not quality.

yeah mate also in greek it refers to size. i said it is closer to "quality" than "popularity" for me. cause the term "big 4" doesnt talk about size...
----

Hits total: 17523 | This month: 38