05. Jesus Saves
06. Criminally Insane
07. Reborn
08. Epidemic
09. Postmortem
10. Raining Blood
11. Aggressive Perfector [1998 re-release bonus]
12. Criminally Insane [remix version] [1998 re-release bonus]

For more than a decade, Slayer has proudly fused thrash and speed metal into loud, offering doomish dirges, voraciously boisterous and blasphemous songs groaning over lyrics that depict madness, suicide and murder in excess, a style which should definetly suit a ten-year-old metalhead. On October 7, 1986, Slayer released what was to become their masterpiece, "Reign In Blood". An album discribed by Kerrang! Magazine as "the heaviest album of all time" and peaked at number 22 on Metal Storm's "top 100 albums of all time" survey, a position that only "the crème de la crème" bands could get. Believe me, reviewing a very popular album from a very popular band isn't easy at all, but sometimes justice must be done.

"Reign In Blood" could be summed up in four simple words, strenuous, volatile, asymmetrical and brutal...maybe too brutal. At first I was completely blown away by its amazing structural proficiency, I couldn't get over it. Fortunately, there was a day when I realized that except Metallica, even a band from "the big four" could suck. The answer is pretty clear now, this is a notoriously inconsistent effort.

The journey commences with "Angel Of Death", an impressive opener , built around ultra-fast repetitive thrash riffs followed by... well, rigourous barks and high-pitched growls of Tom Araya, but that's vocally speaking, sure there's nothing inherently bad with it. However, even the most ardent fans of Slayer will admit that the one-dimentional vocals of Mr Araya are probably the thing that should be removed from Reign In Blood. In case you haven't noticed it yet, the singer tries his best to mix things up without resorting to clean vocals, and I don't blame him for that, at least he screams like a man not like Dave Mustaine. Songs like "Raining Blood" and "Angel Of Death" are the album's highlights, despite being too uniformed for some to stomach, they are quite catchy with their crushing guitar riffs and the furiously thunderous drumming. However, in its entirety, the album is not as consistently memorable as "South Of Heaven", but let's make it clear, I've never been a fan of Slayer and if they're going to stick on "Christ Illusion meets Reign In blood" style I won't be, but to be fair, there was a time when I liked Slayer pretty much, I liked Reign In Blood though but not anymore, these guys don't deserve to be a part of "the big four" neither does Megadeth.

In the end of the day, Slayer will always have an audience because their discography is worth picking up, but when it comes to this album here's my advice, listen to it for one year or maybe two and then throw it away. Folks, I give you "the most overrated album of all time"... Reign In Blood.

Written by Mindheist | 14.08.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Edible Autopsy
Rating:
The greatest metal record of all time. This topic is often debated upon in the Metal Kingdom and to most there is no definite answer. A worthy contender for this title is Slayer's 1986 masterpiece, Reign In Blood. Few albums withstand the test of time as well and even fewer have had such a huge impact on the metal world as this one.

Read more ››
published 24.09.2003 | Comments (66)

Guest review by
Stuart
Rating:
Where does one begin reviewing an album with as much hype and influence as this? An album branded as revolutionary and with such a fanatical following. It is always going to be a difficult task, so I ask that for a moment we forget the hype surrounding this album and we look at the musical value it holds.

Reign in Blood was in many ways a brave new world for Slayer. It had a completely different sound to anything before it; they abandoned all the pretentiousness of the long, drawn out, complex song structures they had experimented with on Haunting the Chapel and Hell Awaits. In this, it was far more accessible, yet they didn't sacrifice any of their integrity or alienate any of their core fan base. Their intention was quite clear, that this was to be the fastest, heaviest, angriest music ever to be unleashed on human ears.

Read more ››
published 04.04.2008 | Comments (18)

Comments page 6 / 7

Comments: 207   Visited by: 689 users
26.03.2011 - 23:05
RavenKing

Written by Deadmeat on 26.03.2011 at 21:14

you'll find many people and i am one of them claiming that COMA OF SOULS is better than any megadeth or anthrax album

And I'm one of them.
Imo, the first 5 Kreator albums and every album they released since "Violent Revolution" are all better than anything Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax ever released. Only early Slayer (until "Reign In Blood") can compete with the Kreator albums I mentioned.

Anyway, when it comes to the "Big Four" (God I hate this expression), Slayer is the only one I ever liked and cared for.
Metallica? Never liked it and always found it insanely overrated.
Megadeth? Never cared much and never liked.
Anthrax? Never gave a fuck.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
26.03.2011 - 23:11
Rating: 10
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by RavenKing on 26.03.2011 at 23:05

Written by Deadmeat on 26.03.2011 at 21:14

you'll find many people and i am one of them claiming that COMA OF SOULS is better than any megadeth or anthrax album

And I'm one of them.
Imo, the first 5 Kreator albums and every album they released since "Violent Revolution" are all better than anything Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax ever released. Only early Slayer (until "Reign In Blood") can compete with the Kreator albums I mentioned.

Anyway, when it comes to the "Big Four" (God I hate this expression), Slayer is the only one I ever liked and cared for.
Metallica? Never liked it and always found it insanely overrated.
Megadeth? Never cared much and never liked.
Anthrax? Never gave a fuck.

i agree generally with everything except the fact that i like a lot metallica of the first 3 albums. after that they gave us 2 albums containing some nice songs and many shitty (at least not that great) and then they became so shitty that this is the main reason why they are so overrated.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
26.03.2011 - 23:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Deadmeat on 26.03.2011 at 23:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2011 at 22:09

Sorry but we're on an English language forum and not Greek one so bog refers to size and not quality.

cause the term "big 4" doesnt talk about size...

Sorry for you, but it DOES talk about size. In English, it IS an English term "big" ONLY refers to size and never to quality.
Like I said this is an English spoeaking site; just likw term is an English one, and not any other language.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2011 - 23:17
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2011 at 23:15

..."big" ONLY refers to size and never to quality.

Not never. I know some girls who would argue those terms go hand-in-hand.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.03.2011 - 23:18
RavenKing

Written by Deadmeat on 26.03.2011 at 23:11

i agree generally with everything except the fact that i like a lot metallica of the first 3 albums. after that they gave us 2 albums containing some nice songs and many shitty (at least not that great) and then they became so shitty that this is the main reason why they are so overrated.

Don't take me wrong. Early Metallica is not bad. It's decent but not really to my tastes. Metallica is a boring band to my ears. I never really liked it but I never said it sucks. But the band is pathetic and shitty since the sold out self-titled album.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
26.03.2011 - 23:20
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2011 at 23:15

Written by Deadmeat on 26.03.2011 at 23:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.03.2011 at 22:09

Sorry but we're on an English language forum and not Greek one so bog refers to size and not quality.

cause the term "big 4" doesnt talk about size...

Sorry for you, but it DOES talk about size. In English, it IS an English term "big" ONLY refers to size and never to quality.
Like I said this is an English spoeaking site; just likw term is an English one, and not any other language.

what is that you cannot understand? the sizes are "big", "small" etc and not "popular", "non-popular"... so the term big 4 doesnt talk about size...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
26.03.2011 - 23:27
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadmeat on 26.03.2011 at 23:20

what is that you cannot understand? the sizes are "big", "small" etc and not "popular", "non-popular"... so the term big 4 doesnt talk about size...

Have you ever heard the term "making it big"?

It's often used when referring to someone, lets' say an actor, who has gained popularity in the acting world.

Or you "make it big" when you become rich and famous. A lot of celebrities have made it big without talent.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.03.2011 - 23:42
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by RavenKing on 26.03.2011 at 23:18

Written by Deadmeat on 26.03.2011 at 23:11

Don't take me wrong. Early Metallica is not bad. It's decent but not really to my tastes. Metallica is a boring band to my ears. I never really liked it but I never said it sucks. But the band is pathetic and shitty since the sold out self-titled album.

ok then i agree on all hahahahaha!
----
26.03.2011 - 23:43
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2011 at 23:27

Written by Deadmeat on 26.03.2011 at 23:20

Have you ever heard the term "making it big"?

It's often used when referring to someone, lets' say an actor, who has gained popularity in the acting world.

Or you "make it big" when you become rich and famous. A lot of celebrities have made it big without talent.

yeah but this is a phrase which "explains" the meaning of the word. the word on it's one can have more than 1 meanings. thats all i am trying to say!
----
01.06.2011 - 21:53
Rating: 5
strade

Yep, I agree: unquestionable energy, nonexistent songwriting. Too many pathetic half-songs and the overall product isn't memorable.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
14.06.2011 - 02:47
Rating: 7
Zombie94

I think it's overrated but certainly deserving of more than 4.5! for me I did find some of the songs overly repetitive and boring around the midway point of the album e.g. Criminally Insane, Reborn, Epidemic. But even people who aren't fans of metal would be able to recognise the classic riff from Raining Blood and likely Angel of Death too. This album was also hugely influential and the heaviest thing at the time so you can't really knock it for originality when put in context. Sure, nowadays it looks soft compared to other bands but although Slayer certainly isn't one of my favourite bands I can still give them credit for the impact they made on metal and of course their supremely talented guitarist, Kerry King.
22.07.2011 - 17:01
Darth Revan

And on that day, I rofl'd like no other . Ignoring the cultural impact of the album, I don't like every song on here, but 4.5?
22.07.2011 - 18:53
Daniell
_爱情_
This review is a pathetic attempt at getting some attention. Don't take it seriously
22.07.2011 - 23:07
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Daniell on 22.07.2011 at 18:53

This review is a pathetic attempt at getting some attention. Don't take it seriously

Thanks man .

EDIT:Don't reply, otherwise you'll give me the attention that I'm so "desperately" longing to get .
06.08.2011 - 18:59
Mattybu

Folks, I give you competition for the worst review on Metalstorm, next to Opeth's Blackwater Park review... Reign in Blood.
07.08.2011 - 10:32
Daniell
_爱情_
You obviously haven't read the review of Enslaved's "Axioma Ethica Odini"
07.08.2011 - 11:37
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 07.08.2011 at 10:32

I wonder if we'll ever know who the proofreader for that one was.
07.08.2011 - 16:47
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 07.08.2011 at 11:37

Some do know, but it's not relevant after all the time that passed.
07.08.2011 - 18:05
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 07.08.2011 at 16:47

Written by Guest on 07.08.2011 at 11:37

Some do know, but it's not relevant after all the time that passed.

True. Must have been a really nice guy/girl though. And in the end, it's good that the review is there for a laugh. Maybe that was the proofreader's intent?
21.08.2011 - 22:54
Absak

Slayer was certainly not the heaviest band at that time. Possessed released "Beyond The Gates" in the same month. They also released the classic "Seven Churches" a few months before Slayer released "Hell Awaits". On topic: I have never really cared at all for the 4 popular thrash bands at all. Only checked out Rust In Peace because it was ranked as #1 of all time here. Didn't give a shit about that album either, except for the vocals. Dave Mustaine sounds unbearably annoying to me, I hated that part, didn't give a shit about the rest though. I'll stick with Exodus, Artillery, Sodom and Destruction.
22.08.2011 - 14:04
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Absak on 21.08.2011 at 22:54

Slayer was certainly not the heaviest band at that time. Possessed released "Beyond The Gates" in the same month. They also released the classic "Seven Churches" a few months before Slayer released "Hell Awaits". On topic: I have never really cared at all for the 4 popular thrash bands at all. Only checked out Rust In Peace because it was ranked as #1 of all time here. Didn't give a shit about that album either, except for the vocals. Dave Mustaine sounds unbearably annoying to me, I hated that part, didn't give a shit about the rest though. I'll stick with Exodus, Artillery, Sodom and Destruction.

You checked out Rust in Peace only after seeing it ranked very high here? What kind of metal fan are you if you don't know the classic albums?
Don't get me wrong - I will understand if you don't like an album, it's perfectly understandable. But not knowing thrash's seminal releases because you "don't care" is simply silly, if you want to call yourself a fan of metal that is.
22.08.2011 - 15:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 22.08.2011 at 14:04

You checked out Rust in Peace only after seeing it ranked very high here? What kind of metal fan are you if you don't know the classic albums?
Don't get me wrong - I will understand if you don't like an album, it's perfectly understandable. But not knowing thrash's seminal releases because you "don't care" is simply silly, if you want to call yourself a fan of metal that is.

I'm largely oblivious to anything thrash or heavy related, at least in the classic sense ;] If you asked me to name Megadeath's best album I probably wouldn't know. I've never even made it past the first couple of songs from Rust In Peace.
22.08.2011 - 15:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 22.08.2011 at 15:36

I'm largely oblivious to anything thrash or heavy related, at least in the classic sense ;] If you asked me to name Megadeath's best album I probably wouldn't know. I've never even made it past the first couple of songs from Rust In Peace.

Their best is Peace Sells, anyway. Rougher, more vile, more innovative, more original riffs and solo's, youthful exuberance... RIP is way too slick and has zero to no bite to it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.08.2011 - 15:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.08.2011 at 15:41

Their best is Peace Sells, anyway. Rougher, more vile, more innovative, more original riffs and solo's, youthful exuberance... RIP is way too slick and has zero to no bite to it.

Well maybe I'll even listen to it some day. You never know.
22.08.2011 - 15:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 22.08.2011 at 15:42

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.08.2011 at 15:41

Well maybe I'll even listen to it some day. You never know.

You don't like thrash so I doubt you will like it, but if there ever is a Megadeth album you could enjoy it certainly would be Peace Sells.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.08.2011 - 16:00
Daniell
_爱情_
I was replying to a guy who apparently is a thrash fan. If you dislike thrash, there is no need to know its classics I suppose.

Rust in Peace isn't slick and it has a lot of bite... Marcel, too much Wormphlegm and Coffins in your life
22.08.2011 - 16:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Daniell on 22.08.2011 at 16:00

I was replying to a guy who apparently is a thrash fan. If you dislike thrash, there is no need to know its classics I suppose.

Rust in Peace isn't slick and it has a lot of bite... Marcel, too much Wormphlegm and Coffins in your life

RIP is totally slick when compared to the albums before. And even for today's standards of over production it can be regarded as quite slick. And still lacks bite, which it did back then as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.08.2011 - 17:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I find that RIP is far less thrash than anything they did previously, it's a really bright-sounding and clear album, you could say it's softer and more "classic metal" than anything else they did up to that point. That being said, i worship it as Megadeth's by-far best album

anyway I still disagree with pretty much everything is said in this review, which is probably just written in order to piss some people (probably Marcel and the rest of the old guys) off. If you don't like two of the most defining thrash metal acts, namely Megadeth and Slayer, then why bother reviewing a (some would say the) classic thrash album at all? it's like me trying to review an Opeth album: everything i'd say would be something like "yup, it's got mellow parts and heavy parts, i hate the vocals, the lyrics are so pretentious i cringe every time i read them and it generally blows. Opeth don't deserve all this attention, they're not worth to be part of [insert a name of group of musical acts created to reflect objective traits such as total album sales], just like [insert other band in the same group here]"
26.09.2011 - 01:40
Mattybu

This is a mega late response, kind of random but I did go back and read it. You're right, your review sucks ass dude. Laughable. Too bad ponderer isn't still around writing such credible reviews as his for that album to offset the garbage people like you put up...

03.12.2011 - 01:17
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
This album is a big one! This album can be more brutal than many death bands around here.
And this review is a little....

Hits total: 17527 | This month: 42