Metal Storm logo
2009 Album You're Most Looking Forward To.

Original post

Posted by Elio, 19.08.2008 - 19:53
Hello guys! 2009 will bring great albums...now I ask you which one you attend most.
Personally, I cannot wait for new Wintersun album, Time, which a lot of metalhead here await. That's why this band (Jari Maenpaa an Kai Hahto) have done greatly with their first omonymous album.
Of course I hope this will be even better!
Please specify your choose.

Poll

What is the next year release which you attend most??

Other (specify)
Wintersun - Time
Iron Maiden - TBA
Kreator - TBA
Agalloch - TBA
Atheist - TBA
Candlemass - TBA
Deep Purple - TBA

Total votes: 150
08.12.2008 - 23:14
Doh
Slayer is working on new album.
16.12.2008 - 05:55
Lehctim
Definitely Time, I dont think Ive ever been anticipating an album so much. How can people not appreciate this band? To me its the epitome of metal, it combines the atmosphere of black metal, the musicianship of prog, and the power and melody of ... power metal. Jari is god!
16.12.2008 - 16:08
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
TIME! Wintersun must have a hard time (...) making an album that HAS to be better than their debut, since the eponyme album is so good.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
16.12.2008 - 16:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by MétalNoir on 16.12.2008 at 16:08

TIME! Wintersun must have a hard time (...) making an album that HAS to be better than their debut, since the eponyme album is so good.

I really don't understand people like you who find the Wintersun album to be perfect. So no problems for them topping the debut which was derivative and generic as f*** kind of like a second rate Children Of Bodom mixed with a second rate Ensiferum and those two bands I don't rank high at all.
To me it seems that anything in the style of Norther, Ensiferum, Children of Bodom and Kalmah will be lapped up by the deaf fanboys like mad.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.12.2008 - 16:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.12.2008 at 16:31

I really don't understand people like you who find the Wintersun album to be perfect. So no problems for them topping the debut which was derivative and generic as f*** kind of like a second rate Children Of Bodom mixed with a second rate Ensiferum and those two bands I don't rank high at all.
To me it seems that anything in the style of Norther, Ensiferum, Children of Bodom and Kalmah will be lapped up by the deaf fanboys like mad.

I never understood the hype over Wintersun.. I jsut found them fucking boring. Of all the bands you said, there's only one that I really like and that would be Kalmah.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.12.2008 - 16:55
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I didn't like Wintersun that much before giving a serious listen to their debut and I must admit they are a boosted up version of old CoB. They also have roots in Ensiferum and though they are nothing revolutionary, they still sound like the epitome of Extreme Power Metal. I mean, they do the same music a thousand finnish bands make, but in the best way it could be made. But they'll have to amaze me with Time before I consider them a great band. For the moment, they are a good band with great potential. And oh, Marcel H., I never said Wintersun's debut was perfect, man, I just said it was very good, which means 8/10. There are long and boring songs on that album, like the last one, Sadness and Hate.

Anyway, how could a guy who listens almost exclusively to doom metal like Wintersun?
----
16.12.2008 - 17:17
Graveheart
Is there a new Agalloch album confirmed to be released in 2009 or is it just a hunch? Have I missed the news for four months now? I chose "Other" because "Horizons" by Anathema wasn't on the list. They haven't released any new material since I started listening to them in 2005 and their silence goes a little further than that. A Natural Disaster came out in 2003.

Quote:
I can't stand those suckers who pronounce Finntroll in English, like "Finntchwoll"... IT'S IN FINNISH, SO IT'S FINNTRRROLL, GOT IT???

Totally off-topic, I know, but I felt I had to contradict the above poster's signature. Finntroll is a Swedish word. Whoever said that got the pronunciation right though.
17.12.2008 - 16:29
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Graveheart on 16.12.2008 at 17:17

Is there a new Agalloch album confirmed to be released in 2009 or is it just a hunch? Have I missed the news for four months now? I chose "Other" because "Horizons" by Anathema wasn't on the list. They haven't released any new material since I started listening to them in 2005 and their silence goes a little further than that. A Natural Disaster came out in 2003.

Quote:
I can't stand those suckers who pronounce Finntroll in English, like "Finntchwoll"... IT'S IN FINNISH, SO IT'S FINNTRRROLL, GOT IT???

Totally off-topic, I know, but I felt I had to contradict the above poster's signature. Finntroll is a Swedish word. Whoever said that got the pronunciation right though.

Still of-topic, but hey I was sure their name was in Finnish even thouh their stuff is all-Swedish...Thanks for the info. END OF THE OFF-TOPIC DISCUSSION.
----
17.12.2008 - 23:12
bard
Speaking of Kalmah, isn't there a new album coming out 2009?
----
17.12.2008 - 23:21
kkktookmybaby
Deathstars - Night Electric Night
27.12.2008 - 10:27
The Wretched Jim
Account deleted
Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague, Immortal - TBA, Ruins - TBA

Just off the top of my head.
28.12.2008 - 11:48
LebRuins
Account deleted
Wintersun - Time Obviously and I hope it will be as good as I expect
28.12.2008 - 13:04
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by bard on 17.12.2008 at 23:12

Mmmh...I don't know really. They are working on new material, but I don't think that we will have a new album already next year.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
28.12.2008 - 13:16
grey_gecko
I am definitely voting for Time. i hope they release on Time this Time though
28.12.2008 - 14:57
Yooden
Isn´t halford working on a new solo-album, and blind guardians new one, if its due out next year.
----
www.aji-works.net
www.theycalluslegion.com
28.12.2008 - 17:33
grey_gecko
Also looking forward to cannibal corpses evisceration plague and megadeths new album
28.12.2008 - 19:28
VPeter
Actually a lot of releases I am looking forward to.
releases from the following bands:
Falkenbach
Paradise Lost
My Dying Bride
Summoning
Agalloch
Devin Townsend
And lot's of other bands, 2009 already promnises now to be a great year.
29.12.2008 - 09:39
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Guest on 29.12.2008 at 06:23

Written by Elio on 28.12.2008 at 13:04

Mmmh...I don't know really. They are working on new material, but I don't think that we will have a new album already next year.

Kalmah has already announced the release date of their next album and it is december 2009, and yes they have already started working on it so it will be out next year.

Oh, that's good news. Though I don't mind the release date, but the quality.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
29.12.2008 - 21:03
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 29.12.2008 at 06:23

Written by Elio on 28.12.2008 at 13:04

Kalmah has already announced the release date of their next album and it is december 2009, and yes they have already started working on it so it will be out next year.

I don't where you have got that information, but many of the releases scheduled for December usually get postponed further away, but of course I hope it will actually get released next year, especially since they said that they will record it in spring. Anyway, looking forward...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
30.12.2008 - 00:27
Thrashard
Wintersun - Time. Hopefully it delivers like the debut.
31.12.2008 - 02:36
Branzig

Oh snap dog! Bitches just got SERVED!

But all joking aside, I completely agree, Wintersun does nothing for me. Whatsoever.

Now, Dodsferd is supposed to come out with a new release, as is Hrizg. Those are two albums that should be pretty spectacular.
----
In Grind We Crust
01.01.2009 - 20:16
Baz Anderson
Staff

Completely agree.
Apart from I love Ensiferum. Hahaha. I really don't see what is so good about the Wintersun album... I feel like I am missing something...

As for me, I am looking forward to new albums from:
Wuthering Heights, Cannibal Corpse, Exodus, Morbid Angel and Suffocation..
Masterplan should have one coming soon too, and Iron Maiden and Kiss should be interesting if they pop new ones out this year.
02.01.2009 - 18:33
In Bone Factory
Written by Baz Anderson on 01.01.2009 at 20:16

Completely agree.
Apart from I love Ensiferum. Hahaha. I really don't see what is so good about the Wintersun album... I feel like I am missing something...

As for me, I am looking forward to new albums from:
Wuthering Heights, Cannibal Corpse, Exodus, Morbid Angel and Suffocation..
Masterplan should have one coming soon too, and Iron Maiden and Kiss should be interesting if they pop new ones out this year.

Anyway I dont think that Wintersun is as weak as you have mentioned.
I cant wait for Slayer's
----
The End Is Nigh ...
08.01.2009 - 22:44
MFH91
Account deleted
For me it's Slayer's and Log's album
09.01.2009 - 00:27
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I was all past year waiting for the new Fungoid Stream album "Oceanus", which according to metal-archives it was already released but I'm sure that it hasn't. I had searcher for information about it in the internet but there's nothing official, even FS's official website doesn't say a lot... I even wrote to the band asking about "Oceanus" and hadn't received any answer. I hope this will concretely see the light this 2009, it would be some BIG shit for doom metal.

Edit: I would also be interested in Agalloch's new shit if I knew it would be metal-oriented, and not that shitty and boring neo-folk stuff they released with The White... I have mixed feelings with Agalloch... Pale Folklore and Ashes Agains The Grain are great asnd original albums to these ears, but all the rest of their discography is complely worthless (yes kids, INCLUDING that whiny hymn to pretentiousness called The Mantle). I don't know what to expect, really.
09.01.2009 - 02:58
It's actually a tie between:

Disarmonia Mundi - The Isolation Game
I'm a big DM fan, have all cds (Nebularium, Fragments, and Mindtricks) and I enjoy every second of all three. If guessing correctly, The Isolation Game is going to be brilliant.

Solution .45 - TBA
Christian Alvestam is such a brilliant person, and when I found out that he was releasing a CD for his other band Solution .45 after leaving Scar Symmetry, I got psyched. Really can't wait.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
09.01.2009 - 03:05
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Baz Anderson on 01.01.2009 at 20:16

Completely agree.

Yeah, I'm siding with you on this one, I love Ensiferum. I personally wouldn't go as far as saying I hate Wintersun, but its hard for me to listen to that album just because my brain keeps trying to figure out what everyone is raving about. When listening to that album I usually wait to hear the 1 decent riff per song, then hit next...

As far as 2009 goes, there really isn't much that has been announced yet that I'm interested in, but rather assuming the every second year trend that happens with the release of a new album, heres what I'm (hopefully) looking forward to for this year:
Destroyer 666 - Defiance (announced)
3 Inches Of Blood
Hardcore Superstar (something IS in the works apparently)
High On Fire (something in the works as well)
69 Eyes (rumoured something is in the works)

Bands that aren't really following the 2-year pattern but hopefully come up with something this year:
Ensiferum
Turisas
Marduk
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.01.2009 - 07:10
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Kreator definitely. Mille's new vocal approach will be interesting to hear.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
09.01.2009 - 20:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 09.01.2009 at 00:27

Edit: I would also be interested in Agalloch's new shit if I knew it would be metal-oriented, and not that shitty and boring neo-folk stuff they released with The White... I have mixed feelings with Agalloch... Pale Folklore and Ashes Agains The Grain are great asnd original albums to these ears, but all the rest of their discography is complely worthless (yes kids, INCLUDING that whiny hymn to pretentiousness called The Mantle). I don't know what to expect, really.

Mmm, interesting. But readiong your post here a question pops back into my head which popped up there before... why do MOST people always get negative connotation when the read/hear the word pretentious? If an album is pretentious as hell and is executed brilliantly then there iosn't a single problem with it being pretentious imo. Same goes for simple, derivative, retro, generic, etc. for me.
But I listened back to The Pale Folklore, The Mantle, Ashes Against The Grain, and The White just now.... and I don't hear anything pretentious about The Mantle whatsoever. Please try to explain to me why you think it is pretentious. The White I can understand you having problems with its overtly Neo-Folk inclinations. As for The Pale Folklore that one looses my interest in the long run cause the band is torn between a couple of ideas (black metal, folk metal, doom metal, gothic metal) without them moulding into a whole. And as for Ashes Against The Grain, albiet a good (not great album) it gets boring halfway through for me cause it more or less all sounds the same (yeah I know this weird coming from someone who LOVES doom metal). As for The Mantle I still regard it is the perfect mix of the black, gothic, folk, and doom influences. To my ears nothign pretentious about it at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.01.2009 - 20:53
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Darkthrone as i love the direction they've taken over the last half dozen albums (less so with FOAD) - and Nocturno has promised it will be another shift in sound.

Ahab - if they get everything sorted out that they need to, should be great.

High on Fire - didn't even think anything was up with them outside of a live album until Doctor Rock brought them up.

jesu - don't think anything was announced, but Justin spits out EPs pretty regularly, so i'm just going to assume 2009 will see something from them and i'll be sure to snap it up the day it is released.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!