06. Hex
07. The Doom Of All Fires
08. Bloodbrawl
09. Nevertrust
10. Hearts Of Darkness
11. Must Kill
12. The Exorcist [Possessed cover] [bonus]
13. In Conspiracy [bonus]

Many Sepultura fans lived in hope for more than a decade that one day Max would return to Sepultura and the classic line-up would be complete again and the brothers would be reunited, but we all knew that was never going to happen. Especially when Igor (or Iggor as he's now known) stopped playing with them and Max was making every effort in the media to state that he had no desire to return to the Sepultura fold. After much rumour it was announced that the brothers had settled their differences and were working on new material in a totally new project. It was said that it was some of the most brutal and aggressive music they had ever made. So you can understand the excitement around this album, the Cavalera collaboration which we knew would never happen is indeed finally here.

To the music then: This may possibly be the most brutal album either of these brothers has made since "Arise". There is very little of that tribal vibe in this music, this is straight up Thrash Metal, it is fast and full of great riffs. They sound truly pissed off again, it is full of political rhetoric and has some classic metal lyrics as on the track "Must Kill". The solos are fast and fairly technical, but you do find yourself wishing for the emotion of the solos that Andreas Kisser used to pull out again and again in the early days of Sepultura. It is unquestionable that the Cavalera boys were born to make music together as each and every riff is literally made for the drumming Iggor gives us and he really rips up the kit with incredible intensity.

How does it compare to the Sepultura of old? Well it is very difficult to compare because each Sepultura album was quite different to any other album. The best way to describe this album is to say it is like a mix between Soulfly's "Prophecy" and "Arise". The song structures of very reminiscent of "Arise" but the songwriting just doesn't seem to ever quite reach those same heights. It still sounds very much like Max doing a continuation of what he was doing on the last album with Soulfly but with a damn good drummer behind him. It doesn't completely blow you away but it is a really good, solid, aggressive piece of Thrash Metal which is very seldom seen these days.

There are virtually no fillers on this album but for me the stand-out tracks are "Terrorize", "Heart of Darkness", "Sanctuary", "Must Kill" and "Bloodbrawl" for no particular reason other than they reminded me of the classic Sepultura. Overall I was pleasantly surprised and the album is still in my regular playlist after a good few months of listening to it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by Stuart | 24.07.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 164 users
24.08.2008 - 16:23
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Good review. The album is better than Soulfly's new, but it gets rather repetitive near the end.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
11.09.2008 - 08:25
Rating: 8
Demonmayonnaise
Iggor's drumming is amazing, just like always. Love this album, definately one of my favorites from this year
11.09.2008 - 14:43
Rating: 9
iaberis
Advice Troll
i love this album
----
Bitch! Please
12.09.2008 - 02:04
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I heard that they didn't start writing this album until they entered the studio, and the process did not take long at all. That's probably why it seems so rushed, but having two Max Cavalera releases this year still makes me happy, even if they aren't as good as the older stuff.
20.04.2009 - 19:29
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Average and overrated. This is just Soulfly without the tribal/acoustic/atmospheric parts (except for the 10sec on ''Terrorize'' and ''Dark Ark''). Just normal riffs with the always decent Max's vocals and Igor drums.

Can't see what's so great about this repetitive amount of riffs with some random average solos. The only good tracks are ''Dark Ark'' and ''Bloodbrawl'', the fast ''Hex'' and ''Nevertrust'' are also very good. But that's it, the rest is just some normal thrashy music exhaustetly repeated.

Quote:
There are virtually no fillers on this album but for me the stand-out tracks are "Terrorize", "Heart of Darkness", "Sanctuary", "Must Kill"

These are the exact filler tracks, the most boring ones. Similarities with classic Sepultura are close to non-existence.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
09.06.2009 - 17:11
terrorist
I don't think this album is borring.Actualy after Solufly,Max is back on track with Igor, and Rizzo did a great job on the solos.I consider it the best album from max since sepultura.Perhaps the lyrics could be more compact but i like it anyway.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
25.10.2009 - 03:05
sbgmetal
I think its a great piece of thrash!
25.10.2009 - 03:24
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by sbgmetal on 25.10.2009 at 03:05

Just remove the ''h'' and your opinion will fit mine
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.10.2009 - 07:42
sbgmetal
Written by Uirapuru on 25.10.2009 at 03:24

why? i think its got some great riffs n drumming... if your comparing it to arise and beneath then i could see why...
25.10.2009 - 07:46
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by sbgmetal on 25.10.2009 at 07:42

Written by Uirapuru on 25.10.2009 at 03:24

why? i think its got some great riffs n drumming... if your comparing it to arise and beneath then i could see why...

I know... Its your opinion...

sorry, I just didnt want to lose the ''t(h)rash'' joke..
----

----
28.03.2010 - 06:37
Rating: 7
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Uirapuru on 25.10.2009 at 07:46

sorry, I just didnt want to lose the ''t(h)rash'' joke..

Good one! hahaha.

Well the album isn't thaaat good, yes it has it's moments, but I have the feeling that half of the songs in the album are fillers.
Is just ok, thrashy, and well, you have the Cavalera brothers joining forces again. The rest is pure hype.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"

Hits total: 6475 | This month: 11