Band: Moss
Album: Sub Templum
Style: Drone doom metal
Release date: May 2008

01. Ritus
02. Subterraen
03. Dragged To The Roots
04. Gate III: Devils From The Outer Dark

Moss are back. Three years after their famous-in-small-circles debut "Chtonic Rites", it is time for another slow paced, eviscerating, nihilistic Drone Doom assault. Rejoice!

Not much has changed since the debut album. They have expanded their discography a little with a demo and a split 7", and landed a record deal with the renowned Rise Above Records (can anyone imagine a better label for this band?), but that's about it. "Chtonic Rites" was often described as Volcanic Drone Doom, or something along those lines, and that description fits "Sub Templum" just as well. Low rumbling drones, squealing feedback, slow but crushing drums and terrifying, insane screams. It may be a little less noisy and chaotic than its predecessor, but it's still heavy as hell.

After a couple of listens the most important differences with the debut will reveal to be that the production is a lot clearer, and that there are a few spoken word passages. The moments between the notes are no longer filled with trudging feedback, but are often empty, allowing the listener to breathe during the record. In my opinion this is a change for the worse, but it definitely makes the album more accessible and therefore more suitable for the beginning Drone Doom adept. The spoken vocals are a nice addition and are eerie enough to convince the listener.

All in all "Sub Templum" is once again a mind-boggling, mind-numbing and most certainly mind-crushing piece of work, only for the sick. Do you dare to venture into the long dark tunnel of lurking death, animalistic fear, endless misanthropy and nihilistic sickness? At the end of the tunnel the reward is the blissful knowledge that from now on few things will be too tough for your to handle, but naturally, chances of survival are close to nihil...

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 26.08.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 94 users
26.08.2008 - 15:20
Damnated
Churchburner
yes, i have to check this out. been delaying it for a while now, but tonight i'll listen to it,
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
27.08.2008 - 05:52
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Awesome album indeed, it encloses a truly tranceful atmosphere, a dark ceremonial ambience... it has been among my favourite doom metal albums released so far this year. Good review Lucas.
27.08.2008 - 17:35
Rating: 8
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Guest on 27.08.2008 at 05:52

Awesome album indeed, it encloses a truly tranceful atmosphere, a dark ceremonial ambience... it has been among my favourite doom metal albums released so far this year. Good review Lucas.

thanks. which one do you like better, Chtonic Rites or Sub Templum? Chtonic Rites is still the better of the two imo, though sometimes im happier with the slightly more accesible sound.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.08.2008 - 18:13
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 27.08.2008 at 17:35

Written by Guest on 27.08.2008 at 05:52

thanks. which one do you like better, Chtonic Rites or Sub Templum? Chtonic Rites is still the better of the two imo, though sometimes im happier with the slightly more accesible sound.

I prefer Sub-Templum, it's a more balanced album overall, with Chtonic Rites they tried too hard to sound extreme. But I confess that I hadn't listened to Chtonic Rites since 2006.
27.08.2008 - 20:52
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
This is a good review. I also agree with the rating (even though I dont rate albums myself) since this is a very good album that nevertheless falls short of perfection due to some flaws and songwriting that could have been better.

Esoteric naturally completely blows this out of the water; however, it is nevertheless a decent album from the style and one of the more worthy musical experiences of this year.
27.08.2008 - 21:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by jupitreas on 27.08.2008 at 20:52

This is a good review. I also agree with the rating (even though I dont rate albums myself) since this is a very good album that nevertheless falls short of perfection due to some flaws and songwriting that could have been better.

Esoteric naturally completely blows this out of the water; however, it is nevertheless a decent album from the style and one of the more worthy musical experiences of this year.

Worded my thoughts abut Sub Templum exactly.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.08.2008 - 20:20
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Heard a lot about this band, will be checking them out soon.
28.08.2008 - 21:24
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Yeah it's actually pretty damn good. Not the not the most glaringly original album I've ever heard but it certainly does its job well. Mmm... crushing!

Hits total: 6734 | This month: 13